Punk Rock for Dummies | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Punk Rock for Dummies

I assumed Skarecrow was into punk, at least to some extent, because his avatar reminded me of Jeremy Hush. Hush became popular because of his Slug & Lettuce (NYC zine) illustrations. I <3 his work. It brings a softness to punk.

View attachment 43299

More so the Rudimentary Peni...but I am familiar with some of Hush’s art!
Was always a big fan of the Subhumans cover art...not sure who the actual artist is though.
A buddy of mine meticulously reproduced the cover from “The Day the Country Died” onto the back of his leather jacket to a point where you could read the headlines on the newspapers in the background...pretty impressive.

a2827975541_10.jpg

@Skarekrow - I love the Subhumans. This album especially. I wish I could see your friend's jacket!
I used to paint jackets, too, before patches became a thing. I see my work on patches a lot, but it isn't the same as an original painting, especially when the art starts to get textured with age.

@Skarekrow - I love the Subhumans. This album especially. I wish I could see your friend's jacket!
I used to paint jackets, too, before patches became a thing. I see my work on patches a lot, but it isn't the same as an original painting, especially when the art starts to get textured with age.

Yes...he was a very talented artist actually.
And I also agree that they get better with a bit of age and cracking!
We used to mostly make our own patches back when I was in the scene.
I had some pretty tall liberty spikes on top of my head for a while (frequent color changes).
We used to walk around Hollywood Blvd. with our hair charged and Japanese tourists would give you $5 a piece for a picture with you hahaha.
Though, when visiting down there I’ve slept in more than one roach infested “apartment” and I always enjoyed showering daily...there was one place that has roaches on the walls, floor, ceiling, sink, etc. etc. it was really foul (I slept in the car for that one)...but we would ride around in the back of his pickup truck drinking with music blasting throwing things at cars behind us and drunk idiots getting into fights.
We would paint on our jackets or make patches from random fabric pieces and sew them on with dental floss, lol.
I would love to see some of you work if you still have some examples?

Reactions: Wyote and Asa
Another punk genre...

Covered by Gary Oldman...

@Skarekrow - Hahaha, that story is very familiar to me, but we only asked $1 on the East Coast. It was so unusual to have liberty spikes, a Mohawk, or dyed hair then. People would stop their cars to fight us, throw stuff at us, spit on us, or just harass us. If you saw any punk in trouble, you stopped to help. There weren't that many of us, and "norms" didn't wear Doc Martens, spikes and pyramids, etc, then (pre-grunge). We all knew how to fight out of necessity. I am not fond of the violence in the scene, but it came with the territory.

The violence - Defending ourselves against people who thought we were funny looking, literally punching Nazis, the fights at shows, how the scene elders put people in their places, etc, and later the organized gangs in hardcore (as in, on the FBI list, worldwide organized gangs) is so bizarre and unhealthy, but at the same time, people weren't passive aggressive or disrespectful. You didn't start trouble with anyone unless you were willing to pay the consequences. You only acted that way with someone worth being enemies with, and if it was worth literally fighting for. We treated each other with respect. If you acted like a jerk you could have a literal gang turn against you, a gun pointed at you. I don't deal well with people who are passive aggressive and manipulative, or try to be stealth disrespectful, because that kind of behavior would have consequences in my culture. If you confront these behaviors with "normal" people they act like they're doing nothing wrong, and it is because they've never lived in a society where you'd lose teeth, or even get shot or stabbed, for behaving that way.

My ex-boyfriend was a squatter, and I squatted with him for a little while, but it wasn't for me. I like showers, and clean laundry. Haha. I was an apartment punk. My home became the place for touring bands. They had a clean place to stay, beds and sleeping bags, home cooked meals, laundry, etc. I've met a lot of my friends all over the world by opening my doors to strangers who were on tour. I'm close friends with many of them because they felt comfortable talking to me and would talk about deeply personal issues.
I see everything wrong with punk, and I have a lot of problems with punk, but I will always be grateful for the friends I've made, everything we saw on tour, and the people we met. I loved my role of caring for people. How else would I have ever seen stuff, or met real people all over the world, including some people who are very dear to me. <3

c3c925fa35c29f122b89680cfebc9b21.jpg

While we're on the subject: I was thinking of beginning a thread about this, but since there is a thread for punk rock, I'll use it. A close friend of mine is an INFJ (confirmed via "official testing"). He grew up in the DC hardcore scene, but was always more of a hippie and followed the Dead. (I've wondered if he has an account here, so if he does, Hi!)
We've talked a lot about why subcultures appeal to INFJs. Subcultures are places with strict social rules and uniformity. People who are not part of subcultures like punk, Deadheads, Goth, etc, like to point out that we think we are rebelling, but we're "all the same". Subcultures are also a place for outsiders to find community. If you don't fit in, if you think differently, etc, there is probably a subculture you'll enjoy being part of where you will fit in a little better, simple because subcultures are more accepting of people who don't fit into "regular society".
This is the perfect cocktail for INFJs. We feel like outsiders, and we feel different that others, so subcultures give us a community where we are more accepted and can be a little bit more "ourselves" than status-quo society. At the same time, organized subcultures appeal to Fe. Fe makes us want to "go along with society". We like the uniformity and the rules.
It's the perfect balance of finding a place where we can be different and fit in at the same time.

It's pretty interesting.

@Skarekrow - Hahaha, that story is very familiar to me, but we only asked $1 on the East Coast. It was so unusual to have liberty spikes, a Mohawk, or dyed hair then. People would stop their cars to fight us, throw stuff at us, spit on us, or just harass us. If you saw any punk in trouble, you stopped to help. There weren't that many of us, and "norms" didn't wear Doc Martens, spikes and pyramids, etc, then (pre-grunge). We all knew how to fight out of necessity. I am not fond of the violence in the scene, but it came with the territory.

The violence - Defending ourselves against people who thought we were funny looking, literally punching Nazis, the fights at shows, how the scene elders put people in their places, etc, and later the organized gangs in hardcore (as in, on the FBI list, worldwide organized gangs) is so bizarre and unhealthy, but at the same time, people weren't passive aggressive or disrespectful. You didn't start trouble with anyone unless you were willing to pay the consequences. You only acted that way with someone worth being enemies with, and if it was worth literally fighting for. We treated each other with respect. If you acted like a jerk you could have a literal gang turn against you, a gun pointed at you. I don't deal well with people who are passive aggressive and manipulative, or try to be stealth disrespectful, because that kind of behavior would have consequences in my culture. If you confront these behaviors with "normal" people they act like they're doing nothing wrong, and it is because they've never lived in a society where you'd lose teeth, or even get shot or stabbed, for behaving that way.

My ex-boyfriend was a squatter, and I squatted with him for a little while, but it wasn't for me. I like showers, and clean laundry. Haha. I was an apartment punk. My home became the place for touring bands. They had a clean place to stay, beds and sleeping bags, home cooked meals, laundry, etc. I've met a lot of my friends all over the world by opening my doors to strangers who were on tour. I'm close friends with many of them because they felt comfortable talking to me and would talk about deeply personal issues.
I see everything wrong with punk, and I have a lot of problems with punk, but I will always be grateful for the friends I've made, everything we saw on tour, and the people we met. I loved my role of caring for people. How else would I have ever seen stuff, or met real people all over the world, including some people who are very dear to me. <3

View attachment 43392

Yep...especially in the central valley of CA.
“Hey faggot!”
Heard that once or twice.
I’ve also seen many of those same people who yelled such a thing become the center of a “boot party”, as we would say, lol.
It’s very true...loyalty is very important amongst people you know in that scene.

Yes...I remember going to a ‘Pansy Division’ concert once (gay SF punk band), and some moronic skinheads showed up and began harassing people and the band.
During one of the songs one of them tried to get up on stage, seemingly intent on attacking the singer...but the belt around his waist was grabbed and yanked back by a big lesbian gal while he was in mid jump and he face planted on the stage, upon which time the singer picked up the mic stand base and brought it down on his dumb head.
Fun times.
We crowd surfed his unconscious body out into the gutter where he belonged. ;)

Skarekrow, I liked you before, but I like you even more now. :blush: You being a punk fan is all kinds of awesome.

Haha...punk (not new “punk”) makes up about 1/5 of my total music collection now (which is a lot).
I have wild variations in my musical taste...punk, classical, electronica, industrial, goth, unnamable various other genres...everything besides Country music (though I can dig on some really old tunes...definitely not the new stuff), Rap, and R&B...and my nemesis - smooth jazz. ;)

I’ll attempt to find some pictures of me during this phase of my life...lol.
I had a cool picture of me in the local paper all punk rocked out...but I lost a good portion of pictures and memorabilia when my ex-wife decided to willy-nilly throw out boxes in the garage she had no fucking business touching, but did so anyhow cause she didn’t care if she hurt me.
I even lost my signed Subhumans record....argh!
My name tag when I was in the Coast Guard and various things from that time.
Most were pictures though of punk days and days when I was driving the ambulance around.
It’s all just stuff in the long run...and I have my memories...but still...inconsiderate narcissistic bitch.
I think I will probably contact the newspaper and get a copy of that picture since it was my girlfriend at the time that worked for them and took the picture...I might have to do that....I would like that back for myself anyhow come to think of it.
How could someone be so careless with other people’s personal keepsakes and possessions?
Evil woman.

@Skarekrow - Hahahaha! Epic story and it is in keeping with how we weeded our scene.
I got to see Pansy Division once. No boneheads showed up. :)

I'm really sorry that happened to your belongings and I hope you get a copy of the photo. That sucks. People can be sooo cruel during break-ups. (It sounds a little deeper than this because of how you described her).

@Skarekrow - Hahahaha! Epic story and it is in keeping with how we weeded our scene.
I got to see Pansy Division once. No boneheads showed up. :)

I'm really sorry that happened to your belongings and I hope you get a copy of the photo. That sucks. People can be sooo cruel during break-ups. (It sounds a little deeper than this because of how you described her).

She’s pathologic.
You know...the old "INFJ - Narcissist” dilemma.
That is partially why I am always so assertive toward people like that now (ahem, EH).
I have a very shallow amount of patience for such people.

Anyhow, I just called the newspaper and since it was more than 20 years ago, I have to search the microfiche at the local library...I know the year, and have a rough idea of the month.
Maybe my Sister in LA can go look for me at the library the next time she goes back to visit Bakersfield...cause I have no intention of ever returning to that shithole town, lol.

Last edited:
@Skarekrow - That makes my heart heavy for you. I'm sorry.
I know what you mean. I can be assertive with people who behave a certain way. It's a learned experience. It's fascinating, because I also want to be non-confrontational. You know?

If you're still in touch w/ that ex, maybe she has the photos. Otherwise, you could ask your sister to do you that favor as a Christmas present to you, or something. LOL!

@Skarekrow - That makes my heart heavy for you. I'm sorry.
I know what you mean. I can be assertive with people who behave a certain way. It's a learned experience. It's fascinating, because I also want to be non-confrontational. You know?

If you're still in touch w/ that ex, maybe she has the photos. Otherwise, you could ask your sister to do you that favor as a Christmas present to you, or something. LOL!

No...she threw them away...on trash day...while I was at work.
It’s fine...I find I am becoming less and less attached to “things”...even sentimental things.
Believe it or not...I’m over it really...I mostly just feel bad for her now.
(I guess people can either believe that I once had a signed record and charged hair or not, lol.)
It’s probably a natural progression as you get older...you either hang onto them tighter (things) and pine over lost items or you have to learn to let them go.
Or you end up on “Hoarders”. ;)
I’m sure I could find it if I weren’t two states away...I will have to bribe her....too bad they haven’t just digitized the entire archive...stupid Bakersfield.
Don’t ever go there!
It’s soul-sucking.

Reactions: Wyote