Punk Rock for Dummies | INFJ Forum

Punk Rock for Dummies

Happy Phantom

Jun 20, 2016
Over the Hills and Far Away
MBTI
INFJ
The day I popped my punk rock cherry was when my older cousin gave me his Ramones Rocket to Russia album because he didn’t like it and of course I LOVED it! My second album was probably The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle, which I liked at the time but can’t stand John Lydon now, so blech. I hate his face.

The next album that really caught my attention was Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Classic US punk rock!! Jello was actually trying to make people think! I mean what a fucking idiot! Who does that?!

Tbc...

Last edited:
Awesome thread, but as a nearly lifelong punk, it is my obligation* to laugh at that article and "rip it to shreds".

Up, up, up, up the punx, up the punx.

*I say this because first and foremost, punks are pretentious snobs (I joke, but this is true), and these types of articles are a lose-lose situation. Every punk has a different definition of what punk is and why we dedicate our lives to it. Every sub-genre claims a different band started it, dating back as far as the 1950s for the original source, and most articles leave out the true DIY, underground bands and history. For example, Crass isn't even mentioned in this article, though they are no longer obscure, but the Stooges aren't mentioned, either?!!??!!! Amebix and Discharge are also worth mentioning for influencing genres, even though those genres never went mainstream, and only became well-known due to being mentioned in liner notes of more mainstream bands that cite them as an influence. It's fairly well known now that the Pistols didn't start shit, and only got famous for doing something that was already happening. All this said, I'm not a historian like a lot of my peers are, and will gladly participate in sharing music. And I won't mention the true history of it again... was just trying to explain how the topic is an endless argument among punks (for those who may stop by this thread who don't know the subculture well). Since you're posting this, I assume you know all this an will laugh along with me. I love laughing at how serious and silly punk is.

<3 Thank you for a great thread! <3

Last edited:

The UK Subs started in 1976.
Charlie Harper is still going strong, and he is one of the sweetest, coolest guys, and down to earth. My husband got to tour with the Subs for quite a while.

^^ Fixed. :tongueclosed:

AHHHHHH. I hate his face, too. Hahaha. I was once at a PIL show where the crowd wouldn't stop throwing things at him, and when he complained, the crowd got worse.

DK was awesome. Mind blowing when I first heard them.
As a figure in the culture, Jello is iconic, and I have tremendous respect for him. Interacting with him was not my favorite, due to his (completely understandable) paranoia.
The other guys in DK are super nice and approachable. <3 They're so fun.

"I like my bands in business suits."

Me, too, particularly jazz and Classical.
I also like bands that don't wear suits, though.

Never mind the Buzzcocks... Actually, do mind them. Everybody in their right mind should listen to Singles Going Steady!

Does Junk Rock count for this thread? These guys are from Indianapolis and always played at the Emerson (and other places nearby) Started in the early 80's and I think they're still kickin' it.

Does Junk Rock count for this thread? These guys are from Indianapolis and always played at the Emerson (and other places nearby) Started in the early 80's and I think they're still kickin' it.

Anything sloppy counts :smile: :<3blue:

:hearteyecat: Amazing album.

PMA :<3violet: Positive Mental Attitude

Rise Above, Rise Above!

More articles about the early days of punk need to include DEATH (from 1975):