Prefered learning style | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Prefered learning style

Visual and kinesthetic mostly, also auditory, but to a much lesser degree.

Hmmm perhaps auditory or interpersonal?

I learn best when listening to a lecture/discussion in class and feeling like I have a rapport with the professor/instructor/other students..
It also helps if the professor or instructor has some charisma.

I can't do online classes because I find them totally uninspiring and disconnected.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I learn much better with discussions than with lectures. I sometimes learn very close to nothing at lectures. I can learn tremendous amounts during discussions.

Oh yeah, I learn much better with discussions than with lectures. I sometimes learn very close to nothing at lectures. I can learn tremendous amounts during discussions.

Do you think learning by discussion is an NF quality? It would seem that NTs or STs would prefer lecture or a more direct approach to the presentation of the information. NTs would be more focused on details, and I think STs would be more self directed, maybe more focused on the mechanics of what needs to be done.

Last edited:
lot's of open, democratic discussion. I like discussion about ideas, concepts, and feelings, not discussions that are overly detailed. I also like hands on learning, I have preferences for auditory, but i am pretty balanced between auditory, visual, and tactile-kinesthetic.
But i can't stand pedantic, detailed, droning lectures :D

Do you think learning by discussion is an NF quality? It would seem that NTs or STs would prefer lecture or a more approach to the presentation of the information. NTs would be more focused on details or mechanics of what needs to be done, and I think STs would be more self directed.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if its an NF thing but I can tell you that its probably an extroverted thing to some extent as we crave interaction. It's probably an F thing too because we get to express ourselves and feelings about a certain topic, which we cannot really do much of during a lecture. At the same time, I can see some NTs liking discussion because of their love for debating. There are probably too many factors here to generalize on something like this. For me, I think its the Fe that makes me want to discuss and not just listen. Also, just the fact that I'm an extrovert probably plays a role in it as well. But again, I think there are too many factors to consider to make a generalization about this.

I'm not sure if its an NF thing but I can tell you that its probably an extroverted thing to some extent as we crave interaction. It's probably an F thing too because we get to express ourselves and feelings about a certain topic, which we cannot really do much of during a lecture. At the same time, I can see some NTs liking discussion because of their love for debating. There are probably too many factors here to generalize on something like this. For me, I think its the Fe that makes me want to discuss and not just listen. Also, just the fact that I'm an extrovert probably plays a role in it as well. But again, I think there are too many factors to consider to make a generalization about this.

I agree to an extent. I'm not sure if it's just an extroverted thing. This forum is a good example of NFs/NTs showing interest in engaging and communication, even if it just engaged listening.

I agree to an extent. I'm not sure if it's just an extroverted thing. This forum is a good example of NFs/NTs showing interest in engaging and communication, even if it just engaged listening.

Yeah its not just an extroverted thing. That's very true. Like I said, there are too many factors here to generalize. For me, I think the extroversion plays a part in it. For others, it may be different.

As an instructor, this is such an interesting subject, because I'm more conscious of the difference between my learning style and the impact it has on my teaching strategies. In the past I assumed, that what worked for me as a student would work for my own students. I needed to learn how to adapt my teaching style, to become more flexible. Still a work in progress.

Last edited:
As an instructor, this is such an interesting subject, because I'm more conscious of the difference between my learning style and the impact it has on my teaching strategies. In the past I assumed, that what worked for me as a student would work for my own students. I needed to learn how to adapt my teaching style, to become more flexible. Still a work in progress.

I think that's one of the most challenging aspects of teaching: reaching all of your students at the same time, because you have to meet all of their needs and cater to all of their learning styles. We have to keep in mind not only the visual vs. auditory vs. kinesthetic components, but also the field dependent vs. field independent components among other things as well when it comes to learning styles. Every learner is different. Sometimes we forget that.

I'm a visual learner too :)

I actually underline and memorize a lot and then I try to recite what I memorized in my head.

When I study Chinese, I memorize the characters but I usually write it to assure myself that I really memorize it.

Whenever I forget the things I studied the other day, I try to recall where it is written in my book like are the words on the upper left of my notebook/book?, is it on the left or right page? ahahahaha

When in class, I like having undivided attention. I try my best to listen very well to the teacher and right everything she says.

But I get really annoyed if I just memorize everything or study something that I don't understand. I just HAVE to understand what I'm studying so I'd prefer classes where there's really participation involved. Like if the teacher could relate the lesson in real life situations then I'd understand it better. If not, I'd research about it then study it.

But in memorizing dance steps, I'm not a visual learner. I can't really follow just by looking at the other dancers dance the steps. I really have to do the steps then I'd learn.

I don't have one in particular; just about any study/learning method will work for me, though I tend to use combinations of several styles. For example, if I were trying to memorize some material, I might make color-coded flashcards and read them aloud to myself and recite the definitions (or whatever it is I am trying to associate with the terms). I'll look for certain letters in the term that remind me of other words that will help me remember the definition, and I'll allow myself to categorize the cards in different ways and move them around. I don't know. It all sounds weird, but they're methods that work fairly quickly. It's just however I can get myself to think about the material and make my own connections, because I am a really, really independent learner.

I have been tested for learning styles, and every time I have come out completely balanced between all the styles. I assume it is somehow related to the fact that I am also center-brained (as opposed to being left- or right-brain dominant).

Blah blah blah... I always make really verbose, overly-detailed posts when asked fairly simple questions.

I'm audio-visual, I think.

I have to just look at my paper and write notes down in lessons, without looking at the teacher (it seems rude, but it's the best way).
When I'm revising, I do the making big sheets of paper with writing and pictures and highlighting important words, but when I'm remembering something, I have a 'method of loci' thing going on, when I walk back through it in my head.
I have a strangely good audio-memory ^^" I can remember most things people have said and coupled with Ni it stops most people from being able to lie without me knowing.

I recently took a different learning styles test and I scored highest in metacognition. I definitely learn best when I am allowed to reflect.

In my mind I constantly kick up alternate scenarios and checks to ensure I fully grasp what it is I am learning, this enables me to ask a lot of questions. I believe this helps me to learn through various methods as well.

I really don't know much about metacognition but we all do it to an extent.

That test is located at http://open2.net/survey/learningstyles/learningstyle_embedded.html

Sounds like Fly would learn best through social/emotional. That is my weakest in abilities to learn unless it is 1 on 1, then I might do ok.

Last edited:
I recently took a different learning styles test and I scored highest in metacognition. I definitely learn best when I am allowed to reflect.

In my mind I constantly kick up alternate scenarios and checks to ensure I fully grasp what it is I am learning, this enables me to ask a lot of questions. I believe this helps me to learn through various methods as well.

I really don't know much about metacognition but we all do it to an extent.

That test is located at http://open2.net/survey/learningstyles/learningstyle_embedded.html

Sounds like Fly would learn best through social/emotional. That is my weakest in abilities to learn unless it is 1 on 1, then I might do ok.

Cute test, liked the visual experience of taking it, though in my opinion it is a bit short, but since it's free at the same time I can't complain much. I scored highest on visual and meta part, and scored more then I expected on audio part.

I have to go away and read a book. Lectures are a way for me to 'feel' like I'm learning, but my actual retention is low.

I got:

metacognitive -- 3.5
social.emotional -- 3.0
visual -- 2.5
kinaesthetic -- 2.25
auditory -- 1.75

I'm a visual learner, but I supplement with kinesthetics if its a particularly hard bit to memorize. If my visual memory fails, usually the action I associated with the thing I'm memorizing will remind me. It's the only way I got through chemistry.

I got:

metacognitive -- 3.5
social.emotional -- 3.0
visual -- 2.5
kinaesthetic -- 2.25
auditory -- 1.75

learning.jpg

Auditory: 3.5
Kinesthetic: 2.5
Visual: 3.75
Social/Emotional: 2
Metacognitive: 4

I don't like learning teams. *shudder* :p

Last edited:
I am a socio-emotional learner, but I'm not fond of the way they describe the style. I know this is a basic description but I'd be interested in how and why these styles work.