Prefered learning style | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Prefered learning style

I recently took a different learning styles test and I scored highest in metacognition. I definitely learn best when I am allowed to reflect.

In my mind I constantly kick up alternate scenarios and checks to ensure I fully grasp what it is I am learning, this enables me to ask a lot of questions. I believe this helps me to learn through various methods as well.

I really don't know much about metacognition but we all do it to an extent.

That test is located at http://open2.net/survey/learningstyles/learningstyle_embedded.html

Sounds like Fly would learn best through social/emotional. That is my weakest in abilities to learn unless it is 1 on 1, then I might do ok.

I'm actually a huge fan of social and emotional learning. I'm going to take the quiz now...

learningstyles.png

I'm actually a huge fan of social and emotional learning. I'm going to take the quiz now...

I am not surprised by that one bit. :D

I don't like that test, the question don't really line up with how I see the learning styles. Besides I don't need it to tell me that I am auditory.

It's interesting that I said earlier I preferred the format of lectures, yet auditory was my lowest rated style here.

I think that's because I know I'm capable with metacognitive, so like to broaden my learning experience. Lectures inspire me more than the teach me. I did say I liked them to present lots of tangential questions... because I'll happily ponder those questions later.

It's interesting that I said earlier I preferred the format of lectures, yet auditory was my lowest rated style here.

I think that's because I know I'm capable with metacognitive, so like to broaden my learning experience. Lectures inspire me more than the teach me. I did say I liked them to present lots of tangential questions... because I'll happily ponder those questions later.

Agree, I prefer lecture (if the speaker is engaging) to the "teach me" method.

Do you like the Socratic method of teaching? Do you like to be asked questions and do you tend to remember stuff easier this way?

And for those who are in teaching professions do you use the Socratic method of teaching and what are your experiences with it?

Do you like the Socratic method of teaching? Do you like to be asked questions and do you tend to remember stuff easier this way?

Socratic method can be limited because it deliberately holds too much back. Teaching is best when it conveys principles, points out exceptions to those principles, and encourages the class to think and discuss why it should be this way.

Learning for me is to explore as many possibilities as I can dream up, and get to see for myself how some ideas are dead ends, and how some lead in the wrong direction. By the time we've discover the right paths, we've sifted through enough ideas to know why they are the right paths, and that's what distinguishes superficial knowledge from deep understanding.

Reactions: Gaze
Socratic questioning is one of the best methods to help someone reach a conclusion on their own accord. Sometimes filling in the gap yourself makes all the difference between accepting or rejecting something.

Not everyone responds the same way to Socratic questioning. However, knowing the right questions to ask is a wonderful thing.

I think it is an excellent tool if the questionee is patient enough to humor the asker.

Socratic method doesn't work (as an instructor) if students are not interested or already engaged. You need an audience which is strongly interested and engaged in the subject matter and enjoys the interactive engagement.

Osmosis, yo. I just hang around brilliant people and listen to them talk. My French teacher said I was funny in the sense that I needed to know the "Why" of everything. That's pretty true because I get frustrated when people give me answers like "Because that's the way its done" without explaining to me why it's done that way.It's not that I'm stupid and needed everything explained to me, i just...need to know.

Reactions: enfp can be shy
I feel like I learn best from teachers who mainly deliver frontal lectures yet present their topic in an animated, yet not overly entusiastic manner. Group work is not effective at all, especially if groups are randomly mixed together and there are group members who don't have high standards themselves or who don't even bother working..
I definitely need to revise and "learn" in solitude before I can cement my newly acquired knowledge in discussions ( they help me a lot in case I have prepared for them in advance..if I have no prior knowledge about a topic that is discussed in class, it's not a useful learning method for me.)
I am a visual learner and scriptor..I cannot read a text without highlighting key words! So addicting..
Videos on various topics help me a lot aswell, I can remember screenshots and the info given in that part of the video. When I was younger, I found it easier to study facts by heart, a skill that is sort of painful for me nowadays..I'd rather research intensively around a topic and trick my brain into thinking it is incredibly interesting until I start to actually find it interesting..One thing I'd be interested in: How do you usually prepare for tests or exams? I have the desire to excel at school, but I could never take such measures as studying several pages out of a textbook by heart and write them down word for word in a test like a very good classmate of mine does.

I've learned some interesting things about my learning style. I am not a visual learner although I thought I was. My understanding is more conceptual or abstract. I learn better aurally (oral) or through verbal explanation. A good lecture is great for me. I enjoy discussion but it's not effective in helping me learn unless the information has been presented in lecture form. I don't like overly entertaining or enthusiastic presenters. I prefer someone interested, knowledgeable, and clearly organized in how they present the subject matter. I am a logical thinker so step by step explanations of concepts or theories work best, with visuals as a complementary aid. I'm self motivated and interested in learning but if too much info is thrown at me too quickly or too soon, I experience overload and find it difficult to process. I am a strategic thinker and global learner, so it helps if someone provides a topic overview and background first, and then break the topic down into different parts or sections. Much easier to follow and remember information. Too much vague and general descriptions without specifics. When someone isn't clear or organized in how they present the information, it makes it difficult to understand the central idea because Ne goes in overload worrying that every point is important, making it to pinpoint what's important and what isn't.

Last edited: