Population percentage

laurie

Snowblind in Dreamland
Jul 2, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Although this has already been done before, I was wondering if INFJs really were the rarest type in the world.
It seems like lots of it depends of gender, for example: are INTJ females rarer than INFJ females and vise versa.
This comes after my sister was reading into it and said that INFJs aren't the smallest percentage ^^ It just made me curious.

at best current statistics is only preliminary and not too reliable. The survey was carried out with a fairly small set of people in one geographic location and the test form itself had only 70% of accuracy rate. I suspect that INFJ males can easily position themselves as INTJ because it's more "manly". So it can be anywhere from 0,5% to 5%

In practice however INFJs are indeed rare (or so it seems). I can count only 3 that I know personally.

I believe the following to be true:

Less than 1% of females are INFJs
Less than 1% of males are INTJs

Less than 0.5% of males are INFJs
Less than 0.5% of females are INTJs

The reason for this is extremely common mistyping on the MBTI. The MBTI bases it's J and P axis on the assumption that the extroverted function is the deciding factor. However, introverts who are actually P types regularly test J, because their dominant function is their J function.

For example, an INFP is Fi, Ne, Si, and Te. Because they are J dominant, the MBTI often mistypes them as INFJs.

There are a lot more INTPs (3%) and INFPs (3%) than INTJs and INFJs, because Ni is a rare function, and an extremely rare dominant function. In order to have it as a dominant function, an individual must have a double ambihemisphered mind.

The reason for the gender discrepency of introverted intuitives is that females favor the F functions over T functions 65% to 35%, and males favor the T functions over the F functions 65% to 35%.

I have traveled the world, and lived in dozens of cities. I've met less than ten INFJs, more than half of whom were females. I've met less INTJs than that, and only two were females. (However, I've met at least a dozen INTPs who were convinced they were INTJs, and more than a dozen INFPs - who pretty much could care less about some personality typing system that forces people to conform into a box.)

Last edited:
Reactions: anica
That's interesting. It kind of makes me wonder about nature vs. nurture -- do you think that men and women naturally have preferences towards T and F respectively, or do you think they grow to develop in that pattern? I believe that type is somewhat naturally assigned and developed in certain ways, but not so much that it changes type -- I wonder sometimes if that's so.

I also think it does depend on where you go -- some types tend to lean towards certain areas. At my school, I know at least 5-8 other INFJs and quite a few INTJs (although I didn't take count of them). There do seem to be less INTJ females, but then, it might also be more obvious; they tend to have a slightly different mannerism (that still is INTJ-ish) but that makes them a bit harder to spot sometimes.

And, on a totally unrelated note, I like the beard on your avatar Hase :D

I also think it does depend on where you go -- some types tend to lean towards certain areas. At my school, I know at least 5-8 other INFJs and quite a few INTJs (although I didn't take count of them). There do seem to be less INTJ females, but then, it might also be more obvious; they tend to have a slightly different mannerism (that still is INTJ-ish) but that makes them a bit harder to spot sometimes.

You also go to a school where it would be more common to meet those types.

That said though, I do feel that any Ni dominate type is rare, but I don't think it is that rare.

There are people who are Ni dominate, or at the very least who should be Ni dominate, but do not like it. I am seeing a trend where some INFJ's don't like or trust their Ni at all. It kind of doesn't make sense to be, but the best explination is either they are mistyping themselves, or they aren't developed very much yet. It also seems easy for people to confuse Ni with Ne, and could overlay them.

Cool, thanks for the information! :)
It also got me wondering that maybe twins might take on one role each - one taking the T and one the F, maybe, to create a balance. Just a thought though ^^
Being a twin, it's kind of interesting.
Also, Von Hase said about male preference for T and female for F, but is it such a big division in today's society as it used to be when the test was taken? I wonder what the results would be if there was another test done.
This is all just speculation and stuff though ^^"

This might be interesting -- what's your twin's type? Mine is ENTJ...let's compare notes

I believe the following to be true:

Less than 1% of females are INFJs
Less than 1% of males are INTJs

Less than 0.5% of males are INFJs
Less than 0.5% of females are INTJs

The reason for this is extremely common mistyping on the MBTI. The MBTI bases it's J and P axis on the assumption that the extroverted function is the deciding factor. However, introverts who are actually P types regularly test J, because their dominant function is their J function.

For example, an INFP is Fi, Ne, Si, and Te. Because they are J dominant, the MBTI often mistypes them as INFJs.

There are a lot more INTPs (3%) and INFPs (3%) than INTJs and INFJs, because Ni is a rare function, and an extremely rare dominant function. In order to have it as a dominant function, an individual must have a double ambihemisphered mind.

The reason for the gender discrepency of introverted intuitives is that females favor the F functions over T functions 65% to 35%, and males favor the T functions over the F functions 65% to 35%.

I have traveled the world, and lived in dozens of cities. I've met less than ten INFJs, more than half of whom were females. I've met less INTJs than that, and only two were females. (However, I've met at least a dozen INTPs who were convinced they were INTJs, and more than a dozen INFPs - who pretty much could care less about some personality typing system that forces people to conform into a box.)
Can someone explain this Fi Ne Ti stuff to me, I don't get now an INFP can have a Si and a Te since they dont have sensing or thinking in their MBTI.

Can someone explain this Fi Ne Ti stuff to me, I don't get now an INFP can have a Si and a Te since they dont have sensing or thinking in their MBTI.
Everyone possesses the following:

Ni (introverted intuition)
Ne (extroverted intuition)
Fi (introverted feeling)
Fe (extroverted feeling)
Si (introverted sensing)
Se (extroverted sensing)
Ti (introverted thinking)
Te (extroverted thinking)

It's just that a person who is typed as INFP favors using: Fi-Ne-Si-Te

Last edited:
I think what's more telling is the using of the two strongest cognitive functions (or weakest) to create a pseudo function. Like for example, an INFJ might be adept at appearing as if they're using "Ne", but really it could be an equal pairing of two separate functions working together.

My thought is this: Perhaps we're using two cognitive functions that make sense to us, and the use of them together mimics another function. The telling of it would be if we had to consistently use those two pairs, over time. I know for me, when I had to force myself into an ISFJ or ESFJ mode due to a job situation, I felt drained, tired, and anxious when I had to act like such for an extended period. Worse, I felt myself slipping into some kind of weird paranoid state that almost took over my life.:m071:

This might be interesting -- what's your twin's type? Mine is ENTJ...let's compare notes
She's most likely an INTJ ^^ Which makes us seem terribly similar, although she has the classic 'emotionlessness' (or 'lack of emotion weakness'?) of the INTJ when around other people. She was the one who inspired me to start this thread because he looked up some statistics.
(Thanks for the link byt the way, it was interesting :))

I was thinking of something along the lines of nature vs nurture (which is interesting with twins, as they're usually rais in a similar enviroment and have similar/identical genes), as in the way one twin may take in upon themselves subconsiously to have the Te role and one the Fe role, similarly with Extraversion and Introversion (even though this doesn't work with me an my sister in this case).
There is also the theory that goes around saying twins are more 'psychic' than most, or it could be they usually have a better developed sense of Intuition, maybe from being raised with one another at equal ages which lead to them being able to read signs in others more effectively.
Maybe they're also more likely to be judging as they learn to discuss their ideas and come to a joint conclusion to promote fairnessand sharing in themselves and, when they're older, in others. But that could be down to being encouraged by their parents to share, maybe.

(If you understand my ramblings, you get a medal D: )

Everyone possesses the following:

Ni (introverted intuition)
Ne (extroverted intuition)
Fi (introverted feeling)
Fe (extroverted feeling)
Si (introverted sensing)
Se (extroverted sensing)
Ti (introverted thinking)
Te (extroverted thinking)

It's just that a person who is typed as INFP favors using: Fi-Ne-Si-Te
Hmm I see. So I presume someone who uses Fe is very expressive and sharing about their feelings whereas a Fi would feel them but keem them hidden away? (Same applies to the others).

Can you not get a different set of them for an INFP? I mean I'm more of a Fe than a Fi to be honest.

Hmm I see. So I presume someone who uses Fe is very expressive and sharing about their feelings whereas a Fi would feel them but keem them hidden away? (Same applies to the others).

Can you not get a different set of them for an INFP? I mean I'm more of a Fe than a Fi to be honest.

Fe is a function that focuses on the emotional states of those around them and preexisting social systems. Fi focuses on the emotional understanding and improvement of the self, and does not always choose to go with existing social boundaries.

In other words, Fi is sometimes more likely to be more expressive than Fe, since Fe sometimes holds back for the sake of those around them and maintaining the right atmosphere.

Here's a good start to what each function presides over: http://jamesbkim.com/content/definition-cognitive-functions

She's most likely an INTJ ^^ Which makes us seem terribly similar, although she has the classic 'emotionlessness' (or 'lack of emotion weakness'?) of the INTJ when around other people. She was the one who inspired me to start this thread because he looked up some statistics.
(Thanks for the link byt the way, it was interesting :))

I was thinking of something along the lines of nature vs nurture (which is interesting with twins, as they're usually rais in a similar enviroment and have similar/identical genes), as in the way one twin may take in upon themselves subconsiously to have the Te role and one the Fe role, similarly with Extraversion and Introversion (even though this doesn't work with me an my sister in this case).
There is also the theory that goes around saying twins are more 'psychic' than most, or it could be they usually have a better developed sense of Intuition, maybe from being raised with one another at equal ages which lead to them being able to read signs in others more effectively.
Maybe they're also more likely to be judging as they learn to discuss their ideas and come to a joint conclusion to promote fairnessand sharing in themselves and, when they're older, in others. But that could be down to being encouraged by their parents to share, maybe.

(If you understand my ramblings, you get a medal D: )

Well, my sister and I aren't identical -- my mom's ENFJ, and my dad's INTJ, so I think we just got those functions in different orders.

But I do understand you :) There's still some debate on nature vs. nurture, and I really think that it's interesting to see how it affects twins -- someone said they conducted a study where identical twins were separated, and, despite different living conditions, they still came out with the same personality type. However, I also can see how twins can be nurtured into their types...really interesting stuff

That's great gloomy, thanks. I need to learn more about these.

It also got me wondering that maybe twins might take on one role each - one taking the T and one the F, maybe, to create a balance. Just a thought though ^^
My twin brother is an INTP. We often talk about theories and systems (stuff we just learned in class or videogames usually), and these conversations are often similar to mutual mental masturbation. When my male ENFP roommate joins in, I guess it becomes a circle-jerk...

Anyways, yes we balance each other quite nicely. He's able to intuitively tell people's emotions, although I can't figure out if he knows the why. Still, I like to think he got that skill from me. Basically, he knows when to leave me alone.

Back to OP, I have met only one INFJ my age, a fellow comp sci major in my class; she's cool. I do believe my old English teacher was an INFJ; he was awesome.

Going to an engineering school, I know a lot of INTJs. I know only one female INTJ for sure though.

Lastly, in Intro to Problem Solving (real course, it was actually awesome), every comp sci major has to take the Myers-Briggs test. I also believe they're forcing all freshman engineers to take it. Well, in my class of 30, there were about 7 INFJs. They then used the test results to assign partners, and my partner was the female INFJ. I never met or followed up on the others though...
Yes, I was surprised at the results.

You both have identical twins, yes?

The INTPs have themselves convinced they are the rarest type.

Better watch out...I smell blood.

My twin and I are identical and have gone to the same school (and now college) for our whole lives without being separated much, except for certain classes.
As there's usually a dominant twin (the confident, outgoing one) and the submissive twin (shyer, more reserved), maybe that aspect of being a twin could affect personality type, one looking after the other more.
My twin's the dominant one, which makes me wonder if that's why she's Thinking, because she's been more responsible than me for most of our lives so she's developed a system to deal with that. Maybe the older (or just dominant) twin is more likely to be more logical than the submissive one in order to make snap decisions without having to take a million people's feelings into account.
I think twins (maybe just one of the pair) are usually quite competitive too, having to earn attention from parents when they were younger which could have lead to an altered personality over years. I think iNtuition is more of a nature thing rather than nurture, but Judging/Perceiving and Introversion/Extroversion would be more of a nurture thing. Not really sure about Thinking/Feeling.