IndigoSensor

Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
Apparently, PETA got really upset over a dodge car commertical because they used a chimp in it. My first response was: "Really PETA? Really? Are you seriously that crazy?", but it turns out dodge inadvertently said "up yours" to PETA by changing the monkey to an "invisible monkey". This actually gave the commercial even more visabillity and praise in the end for a myriad of reasons. Here is the link to the news video:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2010/08/16/moos.invisible.monkey.vs.peta.cnn?hpt=C2

Thoughts on this?

I've seen both adds, the invisible chimp one is better anyway lol.

Also, PETA is retarded.

Last edited:
lol. maybe peta wanted the invisible monkey all along, it'll get them more publicity than simply removing the monkey would have.

Chimps are apes not monkeys. :m123:

I don't think it's crazy. Apes don't even drive cars! THAT'S crazy!

The fact that Michael C. Hall does the voice over makes the commercial 10x more epic.

Humans are Apes.

:m123:

I am the semantic king! (in this thread)

And I oughta smack you for it! You know how much I hate semantics! D:

96 Percent similiar is not one in the same.
And I ain't never seen no dang ape drive a dang truck.

Last edited:
Indigo, don't you know that the ethical treatment of animals requires the animals be treated better than people?

I actually don't think I know a single intelligent person who both cares for animals in a sincere way and respects anything about PETA.

Also: every time PETA is mentioned now I can't help but think of that line from the Bo Burnham song... "I dated an animal rights activist, and one day she got really pissed... because I was eating veal that was wrapped in PETA bread."

*titters*

Fuck PETA, and fuck the horse they rode in on too.

I don't agree with them 70% of the time, but PETA's just a product of society. If we didn't have people on the other extreme, then the people forming and joining PETA wouldn't have any real need to. As long as Dog/Cock/Animal Fighting rings, factory farms, slaughterhouses and people who use animals for entertainment/profiteering exist on one end, PETA, ALF and other groups will exist on the other.

I live in the Animal Rights world and can say that most people in this field feel the same; PETA's a necessary evil of sorts, otherwise no one would be out there exposing the people/organizations/industries who are truly barbaric.

PETA's own stance is pretty much a reflection of this - "Fuck PETA, and fuck the horse they rode in on too." - If they reach 1 person for every 50 they insult, then they pretty much say "Fuck those 49 people and the horse they rode in on" Chances are, those 49 people either A) wouldn't be likely to listen to their argument in the first place, B) already live cruelty free and have no need to be changed or C) can be changed by one of the thousands of the less in-your-face programs around.

I have seen PETA do some pretty righteous things to help out animals. Over time though they have come to remind me of a spoiled child that craves attention, now and again they'll get something right but for the most part their attention getting antics make no sense and are extremely annoying.

Five little monkeys acting on TV,
One fell down and bumped his knee.
A viewer called PETA and PETA decreed,
"No more monkeys acting on TV!"

Four little monkeys acting on TV,

Three little monkeys acting on TV,

Two little monkeys acting on TV,

One little monkey acting on TV,
He fell down and bumped his knee.
"Make it law that monkeys can't act on TV!"

Just so everyone has some perspective, a VALID reason to not want chimps to be in movies and commericials is this: Those who play in them are babies, and once they hit puberty, their "careers" are over as it were, and they spend the rest of their lives (20 years I heard) in caged facilities. 2 years maybe of good living, then the rest not so much. They don't just get released into the wild, not that they'd fair well having been raised around humans. Some get lucky and go to zoos, others just sit in facilities with rudimentary care. Their lives can be good, but just like dogs at animal shealthers its not always the case. They aren't even as well funded as a typical animal shealter.

Take away the demand for the chimps in media, and then no more chimps live in cages once they turn adult. The alternative is those who hire them pay them some sort of pension, and thats unlikely.
I'm not on a soapbox here, just telling the other side. I am NOT part of peta.

Reactions: acd
Just so everyone has some perspective, a VALID reason to not want chimps to be in movies and commericials is this: Those who play in them are babies, and once they hit puberty, their "careers" are over as it were, and they spend the rest of their lives (20 years I heard) in caged facilities. 2 years maybe of good living, then the rest not so much. They don't just get released into the wild, not that they'd fair well having been raised around humans. Some get lucky and go to zoos, others just sit in facilities with rudimentary care. Their lives can be good, but just like dogs at animal shealthers its not always the case. They aren't even as well funded as a typical animal shealter.

Take away the demand for the chimps in media, and then no more chimps live in cages once they turn adult. The alternative is those who hire them pay them some sort of pension, and thats unlikely.
I'm not on a soapbox here, just telling the other side. I am NOT part of peta.

Lets just trash all the Televisions all together. Good riddance!

CGI will take away a lot of that problem in media/animals.

I'm not a fan of PETA, or chimps.

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA press releases makes them sound like crazy extremists and I just cringe every time. I have heard that the animals they "rescue" from kill shelters and other places are often euthanized anyway.

Last edited:
I welcome our invisible monkey overlords.

HAIL to the INVISIMONK!

I'm not a fan of PETA, or chimps.

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA press releases makes them sound like crazy extremists and I just cringe every time. I have heard that the animals they "rescue" from kill shelters and other places are often euthanized anyway.
Probably, they are a do first think later kinda group.