Perception

cvp12gh5

What a lovely way to burn...
Oct 5, 2012
MBTI
Intui
Enneagram
Thinking
Can we ever be sure that our perception of things is right--without consulting other people? If we do consult others, how are we to know whether theirs is true or if we're both deluded?

Reactions: Radiantshadow
I think we've already had this thread.

In some things yeah. In most things... not without some work. ;)

Does it even matter in the end? If someone tells you you are wrong, you would probably think they are the crazy one.

Everyone is deluded

If your delusions are the same as another persons they will think you're clever and know all the answers

You don't. You can't

Thats such a subjective question. The question itself puts the idea of "truth" in a gray zone. I think everyone's perception is unique and different and very much influenced by one's overall psyche. trying to match your perception to another's is like trying to match your personal truths to that of another individual. Just completely different and subjective.

What do you mean by 'right'?

Are you asking if we can perceive the world as it exists independently of our observing the world?

I'm glad you're using the word 'perception'. Perception is probably wrong if it's individually conceived about objective reality. Unless people are probed directly through conversation, discussion, personal interaction; it can't be understood.

Your perception - what you feel and think - is right, even if you may desire other people's input in how you may try to understand and utilize it from the perspective of other people.

Can we ever be sure that our perception of things is right--without consulting other people?

No, I don't think we can ever be sure that our perception of things is right.

In fact, it's often grossly distorted and unreliable.

If we do consult others, how are we to know whether theirs is true or if we're both deluded?

We use widsom and discernment.

But there are limits to human wisdom and discernment.

The basic functions of this life require basic perception and judgement. But you need spiritual wisdom to discern spiritual things.

We're not born with spiritual wisdom. It must be sought out.

It comes from God, and whoever seeks it from him will find it.

Proverbs 2:3-7
Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;

Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Last edited:
Hmm, I see jimtaylor did Reality is Perception.

Yes I did and ended it because it turned into a debate about religion, which I did not intend it to end up being but for some reason any time a discussion comes about things like this, religion finds a way into the discussion.

Can we ever be sure that our perception of things is right--without consulting other people? If we do consult others, how are we to know whether theirs is true or if we're both deluded?

we all have our own answers to things but no one has THE answer.
no one.