People you can't read | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

People you can't read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because your interpretation of his behaviours seems to be coming from a place of inherent fear and mistrust. I'm not discounting that you might be right, but it's definitely a harsh judgement of someone that you're making.

What evidence do you have that indicates he's simply 'mirroring'?
I've seen him multiple places with multiple groups of people. He is always drawn to the person giving the biggest reactions, and like I said, feeds off of that. The more energy they put out the more he does. It's not specific to the person it's just what he does.

Most people mirror. Just not to this person's extent. He's very gifted at it.

I've seen him multiple places with multiple groups of people. He is always drawn to the person giving the biggest reactions, and like I said, feeds off of that. The more energy they put out the more he does. It's not specific to the person it's just what he does.

I wouldn't focus too much on him, I'd think it's more of a social safeguard that this person is using to be accepted in the group. If that's his way of communicating, meh, so be it.

You don't have to reply to this if you lose interest or anything, but have you tried seeing his behaviours in a positive light?

In the example you describe, maybe he's just energised by lively people and is actually very sensitive to the moods of those around him?

Do you get a weird gut feeling from him? Creepy vibes?

No. We're not the same, not at all. This person can just reflect energies. Give people what they want to see. It's like he feeds off of other people and then puts back out what you gave him- but thats not him, it's his facsimile of you.
If in fact he is doing this, I applaud you for recognizing it. Doesn't sound like the two of you are any kind of a match.

You don't have to reply to this if you lose interest or anything, but have you tried seeing his behaviours in a positive light?

In the example you describe, maybe he's just energised by lively people and is actually very sensitive to the moods of those around him?

Do you get a weird gut feeling from him? Creepy vibes?
No, I mean, there's nothing *wrong* with him. He's definitely very sensitive and absorbs other people's emotions, like me, so in the regard we're the same. It's just that I was under the impression he could see that and therefore wanted to know me. It turns out I was wrong- he wants the energy but nothing more.

If in fact he is doing this, I applaud you for recognizing it. Doesn't sound like the two of you are any kind of a match.
I think you guys are under the wrong impression? I was never entangled with this person, nor have we exchanged but a handful of words to one another

No, I mean, there's nothing *wrong* with him. He's definitely very sensitive and absorbs other people's emotions, like me, so in the regard we're the same. It's just that I was under the impression he could see that and therefore wanted to know me. It turns out I was wrong- he wants the energy but nothing more.
Oh I see what you mean. He's not interested in you as much as the dynamics of the interaction - is this at least partly what you're saying?

Like the person who sees their partner as an instrument of entertainment rather than an individual, or she who is 'in love with love' rather than the person.

Oh I see what you mean. He's not interested in you as much as the dynamics of the interaction - is this at least partly what you're saying?

Like the person who sees their partner as an instrument of entertainment rather than an individual, or she who is 'in love with love' rather than the person.
Yes. I mean the second example doesnt apply to the situation persay, but we have shared moments and it's pretty much all about the interaction. Nothing to do with me.
Well that's good to hear.

Why are you so interested in reading this person you don't associate with? It's a bit odd.
We do associate. Perhaps the context will help you: this is a person at an open Mike I go to every week for the past month or so. We've had brief casual conversations. He interested me, again, I couldn't quite get a read on him and that drew me in initially. But I get it now, so it's mostly lost its appeal.

@slant Considering how he has been mirroring everything, what is it that makes it seem like his motivation is to feed off of the energy of others? In other words, if he is that hard to read, what cues do you see in him that tell you “This is his true motivation”? There could still be many more layers underneath.

@slant Considering how he has been mirroring everything, what is it that makes it seem like his motivation is to feed off of the energy of others? In other words, if he is that hard to read, what cues do you see in him that tell you “This is his true motivation”? There could still be many more layers underneath.
Because that's exactly what he's doing? If he is performing he's looking at and gravitating towards the person in the room that gives the biggest reaction to him. It's because of the energy they're putting out, it gives him confidence to perform more and harder. It seems very straightforward and obvious to me, it's just, the open Mike I mostly saw him at has very low energy and I'm like the only person that even reacts. Everyone else is on their phones. Seeing him elsewhere with a more energetic crowd he definitely goes right to the person with the most energy. So to me, it's self evident

This is what I was concerned with.
I come from an angle of distrust when I see people mirroring others all the time, never revealing their true selves. Hos can call it unhealthy if he wants, but I call it self preservation. This is exactly how some trusting folk are roped into abusive relationships.

Sounds like he's an actor and uses interactions as fuel. Comedy open mic? Just curious.
Mixed media. He plays instruments. I wouldn't call him an actor. He isn't charismatic or anything, he has this very nervous shy energy. Even on stage, but if he gets enough feedback he breaks out of it.

This is what I was concerned with.
I come from an angle of distrust when I see people mirroring others all the time, never revealing their true selves. Hos can call it unhealthy if he wants, but I call it self preservation. This is exactly how some trusting folk are roped into abusive relationships.
Unfortunately I know from personal experience that this is a wise position, but being 'on guard' the who time generates its own problems. Gotta find that balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.