Opinion on this video? | INFJ Forum

Opinion on this video?

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEpQ8fFQ7Rk"]YouTube - FCKH8.com Straight Talk About Gay Marriage[/ame]

This is the latest video by a specific organization which supports LGBT rights. It is different in the sense that the activists take a more aggressive approach in the fight for equal rights. To the point where some say it may actually carry bad impressions of the LGBT community, while some say that it was about time all the bigotry is fought.

What's your opinion of this video?

I personally am very fond of it.

YouTube - FCKH8.com Straight Talk About Gay Marriage

This is the latest video by a specific organization which supports LGBT rights. It is different in the sense that the activists take a more aggressive approach in the fight for equal rights. To the point where some say it may actually carry bad impressions of the LGBT community, while some say that it was about time all the bigotry is fought.

What's your opinion of this video?

I personally am very fond of it.

I saw [MENTION=2096]DevilDoll[/MENTION] post it on FB, I thought it was great : ) kinda made me want to get the shirt on principle. :p (I would have a problem with kids swearing if I actually knew kids on that age that didn't already know them : )

It's not going to change anyones mind, it preaches to the choir, it tackles the religious right on their own soil, which is lowering yourself to their standard, it enforces entrenchment philosophies, US VS THEM, by making the answer to hate and intolerance also hate and intolerance, and I was really wondering what the point of it all was... until I saw that it sold a product.

If this takes off, and makes millions, I don't think that if 100 percent of those millions actually went to organizations in support of equal rights for gays that it would make up for the damage the campaign will have caused in the first place.

It's not going to change anyones mind, it preaches to the choir, it tackles the religious right on their own soil, which is lowering yourself to their standard, it enforces entrenchment philosophies, US VS THEM, by making the answer to hate and intolerance also hate and intolerance, and I was really wondering what the point of it all was... until I saw that it sold a product.

If this takes off, and makes millions, I don't think that if 100 percent of those millions actually went to organizations in support of equal rights for gays that it would make up for the damage the campaign will have caused in the first place.

[MENTION=3252]Praefect[/MENTION];

Interesting point and although I do agree with you to some extent, I think the point of it is more to send a message, the advert is amusing, makes a couple of good yet obvious points that some people may have not thought about and although yes there will be some negative social repercussions for the short term, it'll do more good long term. Selling the tops help to spread awareness and generate money. It might be the whole "maybe if we continue like this they'll do something about it just so we'll stop campaigning" approach :p

Either way, it's amusing, generates money and spreads awareness.....eventually things will become a little more equal on this issue but it takes a lot of effort for any action to be taken.

Can't imagine it would help any homosexual couples on the bible belt but....sometimes steps like this have to be taken to generate any beginning of change.

Last edited:
I just can't see it like that.

If I were part of the social conservatives I would thank my god for this campaign and would hope it would never end. Because now I have an enemy to point to that foams at the mouth. That is money in the bank and easy leverage for political power. It makes it easy to oppose gay marriage because now gay marriage is also a message of hatred, which is fundamentally opposed to any progress to being accepted for who we are and how we love.

If I use my most well meaning interpretation of that video it is of showing a bad guy, a bad situation, without coming of as a victim. But that is something that is incredibly easy to do, because we aren't victims, and those who oppose equal rights are in the wrong. It is painfully obvious without resorting to entrenchment and creating an enemy stereotype. And that is really what rubs me the wrong way the most. That it is about entrenchment. Nobody ever made any progress sitting in a trench and mooning the enemy. At best you get shot in the ass.

I don't see it as portraying hatred and intolerance, though admittedly peoples perceptions of what different things mean differ greatly from culture to culture. For myself it just appears to be a group of people saying that the current situation is unfair and unjust, that is supposed to be something that empowers other homosexuals and spreads awareness in a comical fashion. I didn't see hatred in the advert.... indigence, yes, making a stand against something unjust, yes, trying to get others in their situations to realise it's ok to stand up for what they believe in and so forth, yes but hatred no, the advert was supposed to be amusing, it wasn't a us or them portrayal, it was to get across that heterosexuals don't honor the sanctity of marriage and some in the churches eyes disgrace it and what would be wrong in allowing homosexuals to be given the same rights as everyone else since they're people like everyone else in many different situations and walks of life.

I do agree with you that it could be used in some places and be seen as a display as hatred and aggression....but I think the only places it would appear to portray that in are areas of already extremely high prejudice. I think this advert is more targeted towards areas of higher levels of education and to bring the point and situation forth into greater light. As I said, in areas of high prejudice it probably wouldn't do well and cause short term problems, it's difficult to break that kind of perception and yes I agree that it would be easy for a politician in those kind of areas to use this to depict a us versus them image across a state, short term, in those areas it would probably make things a little worse short term but I.....(and I would really like to keep this optimistic view) would hope that people won't go en mass and hunt down homosexuals in those areas, but, I've lived in places like Tn and Wv where, they aren't even supposed to be the worst areas and .....just, it's incredible how deluded some people can be. (not saying that all people in those areas are like that, just saying I've met some people like that there and was quite stunned)

F**KH8

I personally found this to be rather good actually. If sex can't sell it, shock can.

I love it :D I smile from ear to ear everytime I see it!

I want one of those shirts.

Personally I find this to be sensationalist, and offensive. So yeah, I do not like this at all. I am not a fan of shoving opinions in peoples faces regardless of the meaning behind it. All this will succeed in doing is piss anti-gay folks off more, and if anything justify their opinions of the gay community as a whole which will hurt the cause.

I like things that are much more tactful, tasteful, and more elloquently put. This just makes my stomach turn. And as many of you all know, I myself am gay. I just can not stand any kind of thing made for shock value. It turns me off in miliseconds.

ETA: It is this kind of stuff which makes me resent the gay community as a whole; I want nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Daeledin
Personally I find this to be sensationalist, and offensive. So yeah, I do not like this at all. I am not a fan of shoving opinions in peoples faces regardless of the meaning behind it. All this will succeed in doing is piss anti-gay folks off more, and if anything justify their opinions of the gay community as a whole which will hurt the cause.

I like things that are much more tactful, tasteful, and more elloquently put. This just makes my stomach turn. And as many of you all know, I myself am gay. I just can not stand any kind of thing made for shock value. It turns me off in miliseconds.

But... but... I already bought a shirt for you:mcute:

ETA: It is this kind of stuff which makes me resent the gay community as a whole; I want nothing to do with it.

Thing is that this targets the general public, which is pretty accustomed to this sort of vulgarity. It is time that the community takes a more aggressive approach, as the general polite take on the action has been ignored. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase ''they are fags, who cares?''. Well we need to show this people that there are people who care, till the point were even children are widely affected. If we don't use hyperbole in the language than little effect is going to take place as the general public tends to be indifferent. The ones opposing typically tend to spread bigotry and words or hate all over the place which gets massive attention. We can try to explain the general population intelligently, but its not going to have much shock or impact without something like this.

I don't care about the vulgarity. You could remove the vulgarity and still make it sensationalist. It's how its done. I am sorry but I do not think this is going to do much of anything. Hell, its turning me off to the gay movement, and I personally know a number of people who are also LGBT who would respond to this exactly the same way I am. You should not go about social change this way. The foundation needs to be shaken, but in such a way where people will listen and understand. That video will garner 0 understanding.

You want something that will energize the base and make people understand what needs to be done? Try this:

[YOUTUBE]oZHIRrkCOiU[/YOUTUBE]

This is how it needs to be approached, not sensationalist BS that does nothing but raise anger in those who need to listen in the first place. All the video you posted is going to do is rally the base that responds well to that sort of stuff. That group is small, and is the last group that actually needs to hear the message.

I don't care about the vulgarity. You could remove the vulgarity and still make it sensationalist. It's how its done. I am sorry but I do not think this is going to do much of anything. Hell, its turning me off to the gay movement, and I personally know a number of people who are also LGBT who would respond to this exactly the same way I am. You should not go about social change this way. The foundation needs to be shaken, but in such a way where people will listen and understand. That video will garner 0 understanding.

You want something that will energize the base and make people understand what needs to be done? Try this:

[YOUTUBE]oZHIRrkCOiU[/YOUTUBE]

This is how it needs to be approached, not sensationalist BS that does nothing but raise anger in those who need to listen in the first place. All the video you posted is going to do is rally the base that responds well to that sort of stuff. That group is small, and is the last group that actually needs to hear the message.

I am literally crying from listening to that speech...you know..I can related to a lot of the stuff..sometimes Im filled with anger and want to shout to the world to screw themselves other times I have felt depressed. I just can't stand other kids being afffected by this...IT NEEDS TO STOP..I just dont know how...time passes and passes..I jusr\t want a solution.

I'm all for gay marriage and gay rights, but I found this video incredibly stupid and irritating.

Interjecting 'fuck' after every other word in a sentence and using emotional appeals and circular reasoning won't make people take you seriously. Unless, of course, they're either half-wits or the type who unquestionably take in everything the media shoves down their throats. And if experience has taught me anything, most religious conservatives are pretty wary of the media to begin with.

Seriously, I get that it is meant to pander to the masses, get people talking because it's soooo offensive with its vulgarity and its in-your-face attitude and all the cute little t-shirts, but honestly, you're not going to reach a conservative audience by swearing your head off. If anything, it's painting a rather low-brow picture of gay culture... something which requires no help in the eyes of someone who is socially and religiously conservative with a poor opinion of homosexuality.

Fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndigoSensor
I saw it more of a response to all of the far out extreme-right-wing responses and arguments against gay marriage. I could have completely read it wrong, but I thought it was mostly tongue in check to mock the extremists on the other side of the fence.

I saw it more of a response to all of the far out extreme-right-wing responses and arguments against gay marriage. I could have completely read it wrong, but I thought it was mostly tongue in check to mock the extremists on the other side of the fence.

Same thoughts here, I saw it basically as demonstrating how ridiculous extreme right-wind dogma can be and their arguments which literally have no support. It was a mock..but im starting to see indy's point of view on how this is only scaring conservatives away/

I turned it off after I heard the kid dropping f-bombs, I hate media that uses kids and shock value to try and make points.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
Well...

Fuck?

Actually. I like pink.
I thought it was really funny and snorted and giggled throughout.

I did NOT like the kids dropping F-bombs. I am not sure being a bit immature and throwing pink-clad hissy fits is quite exactly the best way to portray the GLBT community in the best light -- it could exacerbate irrational fears, especially irrational parental fears.

On the whole, I have to give the video about a 100% for creative effort and amusement, but only about a 70% for actually changing anyone's mind who was not already pretty much okay with gaydom. It might have swayed a few on-the-fencers, but it would not budge people who are stubbornly anti-gay and may have even given them a little bit of ammo. That's what I think.

EDIT: I viewed the second video and that is more the kind of thing that will -- oh, dear -- it commands respect and builds bridges. Also makes me cry. The guy in that video is right, teens, listen to him and know: IT GETS BETTER.

Last edited: