Nixed Gay Superbowl Ad | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Nixed Gay Superbowl Ad

I know a lot of gay guys. Very few of them are into football. Is the superbowl really a good target market?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hopoate#Controversy

Controversy
During a 2001 clash with the North Queensland Cowboys, Hopoate, in an attempt to unsettle several of his opponents, inserted his finger in three players' anuses, the first occurring during the seventh minute of play. At the conclusion of the match the matter was immediately referred to the rugby league judiciary where a case was put forward from both sides on 28 March. Hopoate claimed in front of the panel of judges that he was simply attempting to give all three players "a wedgie"[3] with his fingers, denying he had done anything wrong and that he was "a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there"[4].

The three victims in the case, Cowboys players Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman all disagreed with the reasoning put forward by Hopoate and his team. Jones stated, "It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum."[5] Bowman stated that he was "disgusted" and "couldn't believe it."[6] As a result of this incident, radio comedy duo Roy and HG referred to Hopoate as 'Stink Finger', until he began his professional boxing career when they changed this to 'Stink Fist'.

I would have to assume there are a lot of homophobes that watch football. The advertiser has a lot to gain from negative publicity.

I don't see how the station itself could benefit from playing this ad. Negative publicity isn't really needed because the station is already incredibly well established so there isn't much to balance the potential alienated viewers that don't like a "gay" channel.

What the h-

japan-wierd-demotivational-poster.jpg

I know a lot of gay guys. Very few of them are into football. Is the superbowl really a good target market?

Seems like it would just cause a bunch of testosterone soaked straight guys to 'gaybash' for the next few weeks to months depending on how 'shocking' the video was.

I think the press the site is getting over getting their ad dropped is the best case scenario for them, honestly.

Exactly what I was thinking, anyone who thought that ad was even close to being a good idea was a moron.

Publicity stunt.

I don't really care about people being offended, because I think people should be offended when there's a point.

But this seems like a pretty obvious attempt at public manipulation for financial gain. Any talk of politics or prejudice or whatever just sounds like B.S. The only issue I see here is money.

*moving on ... *

I'm all for rocking the boat, but I agree with the majority that this was a publicity stunt. Still, the faces of the homophobes would have been priceless...

Weren't a bunch of GoDaddy ads thrown out last year for being too "sexually explicit," or something like that? If the ad is really what I'm picturing, I'm not surprised. I mean, how else do you recover from everyone in the universe seeing Janet Jackson's boob that one time?

But I really doubt it's about the homosexuality. If anything, they're getting more publicity out of the fact that their ad has been denied and it happened to depict two gay males together.

No. NFL is Football.

NRL is Rugby.
FIFA is Soccer.

Americans get to name the sports because we're awesome like that.

The French named Soccer. It's French for "Football". I guess the Americans just love french stuff.

Americans are retarded like that.

Hey, don't rag on soccer, or I'll go rugby tackling both your asses.

Bring it! I'd love to spar with you and turn it into one of those romantic moments where I overpower you and almost kiss you.

...my bad. I just realized how badly we've deviated from the original post...

*kicks VH in the shin when he's not paying attention and runs away!*

:p

Reactions: VH