Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/companies/mancrunch_ad_super_bowl/

According to this article, a gay dating website had it's super bowl ad spot removed. According to CBS, this was mostly due to finical reasons, the website says that it is based off discrimination.

All television stations have some kind of social and political bais. I think it is clear that CBS leans slightly to the right (but not by much). Personally, I am actually glad that this will not be on the air. The add features two men watching football and then leads to them making out. I am sorry, but that is just a bit too much. Most people watching the superbowl would cringe at this (as this is seen as controversial), and would likely cause a firestorm to come back at CBS for showing the ad. If the ad were more tame, I would say it is fine, but it isn't apparently. Since gay dating is a hot button issue, it is going to garner alot of attention and controversy. I think that CBS was justified in nixing this ad. It just seems like showing the ad is rocking the boat far too much, just for the sake of doing it. Also, for the record (if you don't already know), I am gay, so don't think I am being discrimintory.

Thoughts, opinions, discuss.

I agree with everything you said Indigo, and although it is very controversial and I do not think it's right, I'm also glad it did not happen as the issue is controversial and it would have caused huge controversy and flaming. I mean, as a gay person myself I do not see nothing wrong with it but we still live in a society where such issues are to controversial for them to be mention in such a big event, this also applies to other subjects of course such as abortion etc. Society is not ready to handle this social issues.

The minicontroversy generated by this will generate some free publicity for the gay site. It won't suffer too badly.

CBS is free to choose what advertisement it wants to include and what advertisement it doesn't, just as we the consumers are free to watch CBS programming or not watch CBS programming. If it bugged me, then I could vote with my remote.

Agreed.

The people who submitted the ad had to have taken this likely outcome into account. I mean, absolutely no offense, but if I was in charge of a website named Man Crunch, I would take that into consideration as well.

Either way, the effort won in some respects.

maybe they needed to tone it down, istead of making out, have them hold hands. simple and effected. I'm not one for sexualized t.v. in the first place.

maybe they needed to tone it down, istead of making out, have them hold hands. simple and effected. I'm not one for sexualized t.v. in the first place.

this

Based on other things I have read, it sounds like they have canceled ads in the past because they found them homophobic, so I would say it is not very likely that this is discrimination of gay people so much as discrimination of bad advertisement.

Nothing personal, it's just business.

I know a lot of gay guys. Very few of them are into football. Is the superbowl really a good target market?

Seems like it would just cause a bunch of testosterone soaked straight guys to 'gaybash' for the next few weeks to months depending on how 'shocking' the video was.

I think the press the site is getting over getting their ad dropped is the best case scenario for them, honestly.

I think the press the site is getting over getting their ad dropped is the best case scenario for them, honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned this way.

that creeps me out in a manipulative kinda way, but then again I guess manipulation is the point of almost all mass media.

And not to offend any gay guys who are into football...

...but isn't the Superbowl kind of like the annual pinnacle event of straight men? Isn't it sort of like an unofficial testament to the heterosexual male? A holiday to the paramount of all things 'manly'?

It seems like having an ad for a gay dating website on the superbowl is just inviting hostility.

It would be like advertising for Asian mail order brides at the Lilith Fair.

Reactions: Questingpoet
Sometimes, the only way to make change happen is to rock the boat. Now, I'm a straight sixteen year old girl but I believe in equality. I also believe that we're not going to get anywhere in the gay rights movement if we don't stomp our feet and demand it.

I'm not saying I'm one for sexual explicit tv but would it be such a big deal if a heterosexual couple were doing the same thing? Yes, it's controversial but that's the point! Piss people off. Show them that they're wrong to believe that there's a difference in love between a man/man, woman/woman, man/woman. We're not gonna win against the right winged (insert less than friendly term here) if we just look down at the ground and start our sentences like, "Well... um... I believe that..." We need to have power, we need a voice. Like Harvey fucking Milk was a gay rights activist in the 70's. He sure as hell didn't put up and shut up.

I mean, it disgraces me as a fellow human being that there are people out there that think LGBT people are less than them and deserve to be treated as such. In the year 2010, this should not still be an issue. Now, could we go around using different tactics than a gay dating service? Sure we could. But why should we have to?

Last edited:
Now, could we go around using different tactics that a gay dating service? Sure we could. But why should we have to?

Common decency?

There are ways to get your views out there which are less "in your face" confrontational. I'm all for a gay couple holding hands as they walk down the street, but not for them walking into a random person's home and making out in their living room. Airing an ad during the Superbowl of two men kissing would probably have the effect of the latter.

Now, could we go around using different tactics than a gay dating service? Sure we could. But why should we have to?

People are generally more receptive to new ideas, especially the ones that challenge their views when those ideas are not presented in a manner that is directly confrontational. The standard response is to dig in heels and bolster resistance. It's just human nature.

If you really want to make an impact, there are many ways that redirect someone's thinking rather than attacking it head on. Most of the positive social change that we now enjoy was the result of slow and steady redirection rather than abrupt challenges, which are responsible for some of the more disastrous set backs.

(By the way, are you sure you're not an INFP? That was a very Fi [caring for the under dog] and Ne [shake up the establishment] reply. Not judging, just wondering.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure. :)

I'm just very liberal. I was raised in a right winged baptist household. Needless to say, I didn't turn out how my parents wanted me to. Gay rights is a big thing with me. I'm very passionate about it because I have a lot of gay/bi friends.

And not to offend any gay guys who are into football...

...but isn't the Superbowl kind of like the annual pinnacle event of straight men? Isn't it sort of like an unofficial testament to the heterosexual male? A holiday to the paramount of all things 'manly'?

It seems like having an ad for a gay dating website on the superbowl is just inviting hostility.

It would be like advertising for Asian mail order brides at the Lilith Fair.

I'm pretty sure anybody can enjoy football, I mean personally I dislike football but their might be some who enjoy it, just like some females might also enjoy football. No one has the right to discriminate a minority. anyhow, the only reason I believe it was a good choice its because people are not ready to handle something so big.

Last edited: