Never changing, always the same | INFJ Forum

Never changing, always the same

floatingbridge

Life's a ride
Donor
Aug 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
People never truly change,...of all their quirks and perculiar nature, their inner child was with them since the day they were born. We all go on to adapt and explore, stylise and grow,...but there is a defaulted seed that resists.........I come to realise this at my nineteen years of life,...... of the people I knew at 4,5 and 6....they are still morbidly familiar.

Thus, people never change. Discuss.

(Of course, the only group of people who realise this, should be the group that were with you right from the start).

A lot of things about people don't really change. Not for a long time, at least. I mean, deep fears and insecurities stick around for a long time, even if the way they deal with it changes. I wouldn't say they never change, but true, deep changes are difficult and take a lot of time.

I kind of think that people don't change. They simply move further from their true self. For me it is a question of nature and accepting one's nature or denying it. But denying our nature is also part of our nature, too. Confusing, eh?

I kind of think that people don't change. They simply move further from their true self. For me it is a question of nature and accepting one's nature or denying it. But denying our nature is also part of our nature, too. Confusing, eh?

VERY confusing

Normally people don't change themselves because they don't know change is necessary for their growth or maybe another reason like they are going through difficult phases of their life.

I started changing myself after 17 yrs old. Really, it was hard for me. I found this two reason which I mentioned above.

I find that as I become different in my college growth, I am not changing who I am; I am merely becoming more myself.

I think people change but not fully :) i can't explain but there's something in them that's like.. still them no matter what happens

usually, i think people don't notice that there's something still the same in that person unless they observe closely.... very closely :) :)

People never truly change,...
But you can't say that people don't truly change either. I don't think we can really adapt a general principle to this.

It is a really individual matter I think. There is also a difference between observing changes based on expressed nature and quirks compared to the inner consideration and processing of events and information.

I know I am constantly changing, and all I can say right now is I am truly who I am right now at this very moment, and I try to make that better, or at least to change that moment towards a better goal.

Oh boy, one more edit: I think the world would be awfully dull if people didn't change, or the potential to change was non-existent.

Last edited:
A lot of things about people don't really change. Not for a long time, at least. I mean, deep fears and insecurities stick around for a long time, even if the way they deal with it changes. I wouldn't say they never change, but true, deep changes are difficult and take a lot of time.

Aye, but im not talking about fears, insecurities, shyness...it's not some darksome fear that defines 'this said person'. It's more joy...THIS person's joy does not change. Geez, it's what makes the person smile that same smile....

Small children's expressions are easy to understand..you know immediately what their feeling. The exact same expressions just on the same person as an adult.

People here need to start expressing /definign themselves as to what makes them joyous. There's way too many emos around here! (Sorry, not defending myself here...;))

The thing is, it was always there...the true self. There was no accepting nor denying in the first place. You just ARE. The rest is superficial.

Normally people don't change themselves because they don't know change is necessary for their growth or maybe another reason like they are going through difficult phases of their life.

I started changing myself after 17 yrs old. Really, it was hard for me. I found this two reason which I mentioned above.

See above.

I find that as I become different in my college growth, I am not changing who I am; I am merely becoming more myself.

Or becoming more at ease, with yourself.

But you can't say that people don't truly change either. I don't think we can really adapt a general principle to this.

It is a really individual matter I think. There is also a difference between observing changes based on expressed nature and quirks compared to the inner consideration and processing of events and information.

I know I am constantly changing, and all I can say right now is I am truly who I am right now at this very moment, and I try to make that better, or at least to change that moment towards a better goal.

Oh boy, one more edit: I think the world would be awfully dull if people didn't change, or the potential to change was non-existent.

Yes, if you haven't changed in 20 years, you haven't lived.

Genes are not as static as was once taught (just to remind):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

Childhood trauma has life-long effect on genes and the brain:
http://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/news/item/?item_id=104667

I think people change all the time, but with less variance over time. However, an embryo has a long way to go through chemicals, milk, parents, peers, jobs, lovers, kids, and it gets influenced in some ways with every next step. The early steps are fundamental though, and you can't just go back and undo them later. (and that's not your conscious choice; what is choice anyway, it's only what you know & you can't know it all)

Aye, but im not talking about fears, insecurities, shyness...it's not some darksome fear that defines 'this said person'. It's more joy...THIS person's joy does not change. Geez, it's what makes the person smile that same smile....

Small children's expressions are easy to understand..you know immediately what their feeling. The exact same expressions just on the same person as an adult.

People here need to start expressing /definign themselves as to what makes them joyous. There's way too many emos around here! (Sorry, not defending myself here...;))

Lol, that's true :B Yeah, I would agree with that though, but it's not surface joy -- it's the feeling, the significance of it that matters, I think. That does stay with people for a long time, most of the time :D

at 19 most people have had the same life around the same people (high school). Wait till they get out into the world to see how theyve changed.

I'm not quite sure I agree with that statement as I believe it is just the fact that people don't have a 'cause' to change, not that they don't or can't.
I know this from personal experience, having changed almost beyond recognition from my young self. I had cause to change and so did. Humans are highly adaptive creatures and, if they can't change the world, they will change themselves to suit it.

Obviously, I may have misinterpreted what you've put there - you might be saying that people you know don't appear to change or something and I'm quite tired so I could easily be mistaken. It's also just my view on it ^^"

at 19 most people have had the same life around the same people (high school). Wait till they get out into the world to see how theyve changed.

+1

I've grown so much in college already. I never would have been able to accomplish all of this growth if I had stayed in high school.