Natalie Portman | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman has a bachelor's degree from Harvard in psychology. She skipped the premiere of Star Wars: Episode I so she could study for her high school final exams. "I'd rather be smart than a movie star." Portman has professed an interest in foreign languages since childhood and has studied French, Japanese, German, and Arabic. She's co-authored two research papers that were published in professional scientific journals. Her 1998 high school paper, "A Simple Method To Demonstrate the Enzymatic Production of Hydrogen from Sugar," was entered in the Intel Science Talent Search. In 2002, she contributed to a study on memory called "Frontal Lobe Activation During Object Permanence" during her psychology studies at Harvard. Total nerd.
Seriously

@PhoenixDown do you think this points more towards infj or isfj?

I think it points more towards ENTP.

Reactions: Arsal
I don't think an INFJ would do well with being famous and being an actor. She seems to be pretty fond of it. I think INFJ's are fundamentally against acting or faking. While yes performing is a different thing, I just know it's not for me. I'm too conscious of the fact that I would be pretending to be someone...

Fake tv commercial couples bother me the most. THEY ARE NOT DATING. THEY ARE ACTORS.

Anyway there was some article about Natalie saying she did all the dancing in Black Swan but it turns out she was stealing credit from the real dancer. Not INFJ behaviour.

http://www.gossipcop.com/sarah-lane-natalie-portman-black-swan-scandal/

That's the gist but nothing quoting her saying she did most of it which was apparently what she claimed.

excuse me but that is an extremely simplified way of looking at it. of course people can act in order to fake something, of course there are people who are not genuine about who they are. but acting can also be an art form. a body and a face, a series of expressions linked to one another in performance, can be a medium for expressing or describing something about the world, in just the same way that brush strokes on a canvas make a picture. if you really want to get serious about it, all art is lies, because just one perspective on the world can never get at the whole truth.

i don't think portman really does like being famous that much. she hardly seeks out the paparazzi. actually she acts like she genuinely hates them intruding on her life.

this sarah kane person gives me the shits. they always said to the media that natalie could never do parts of the dancing. they never pretended she could do the fouettes. of course she couldn't do the fucking fouettes, how ridiculous. she does dance en pointe, which is more than some other actresses have done in similar roles. and if you read a little more about what she did for the film you will surely recognise that she went above and beyond. however what makes her performance great is her acting. she is able to translate the extreme technical and emotional virtuosity of ballet in a coherent way to the medium of pure drama. her performance is so measured in every detail and she really does let go in the character transformation. in a very meaningful way she becomes the character. they simply couldn't have done the character as a real ballerina without it being an actual real person. she came as close as it was possible to come without actually stabbing herself in the gut. it's also my opinion that showing how one medium can understand another says something about our ability to understand one another as humans. i really believe it is a truly great performance.

but i simply ask you to reexamine the idea that acting is false and has to equal reality.

I dont know what she is but I know she is the hottest actress in showbiz. Dang maybe thats why I think she is so hot. I always just liked her cuz she is a harvard grad. Brains are hot.

I'd say she's a sensor of some kind, but I'm not confident enough to pick out one type in particular.

Also, just a random thought, whenever I see Portman in a movie, my first reaction tends to be "oh, there's Natalie Portman," in the most apathetic way (as it was when Black Swan and Thor were first advertised). I'm not sure why, but she never instills me with excitement. However, that's not to say she's the absolute worst actor/actress that's made it into movies.

[MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION]

yes I agree. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say...something completely separate from the topic with my own skewed perception.

yes acting is an art. im making some kind of comparison that isn't there.

@invisible

yes I agree. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say...something completely separate from the topic with my own skewed perception.

yes acting is an art. im making some kind of comparison that isn't there.

i getcha. i should probably have paid better attention to what you were saying. ♥

The Natalie Portman craze is weird to me. Not because I think it's undeserved, but because before Black Swan I almost never heard about her and never would have thought of her as one of the huge names in Hollywood. I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is due to my obliviousness (and I have been very oblivious of most pop culture for the last several years) or if it suddenly happened after Black Swan.

I also find it really surprising that she's considered one of the hottest famous women right now. Don't get me wrong, I think she's gorgeous, but she just doesn't look to me like the kind of gorgeous that gets that much attention (by Hollywood standards). So this makes me really optimistic. Are talented actresses finally getting as much attention as actresses like Megan Fox, whose fame is based almost solely on looks? Are talent and intelligence finally being seen as sexy enough to rival the likes of Angelina Jolie?

Or am I way off because I'm so out of the pop culture loop?

my ideas about the reasons for this are that i think she hadn't found an appropriate opportunity to display the breadth of her ability before black swan, and that although there were flashes of brilliance, something always seemed missing. there was always a disappointment factor or a hint of a suggestion that she wasn't performing to her fullest potential. it was underwhelming.

i also feel optimistic about the fact that she seems to break the stereotypical beauty mould. although, she also seems to turn it on and off to some extent. and, she seems to have generated slightly less hype surrounding her looks as considered in isolation, in more recent years. she seems to be regarded less as available for sex objectification or pure desirability or sex fantasy or whatever.

these are just some ideas i was considering... conjecture... not certain of their actual validity.

and, i always thought angelina is quite good as an actress. at least on par with nicole kidman or gwyneth paltrow or any other of that calibre.

She has a Psychology degree from Harvard. I'm fairly certain she knows her MBTI type. (And probably looks at the MBTI like most psychology people do... a variably problematic but anecdotal self assessment tool and conversation piece)

Why don't we just ask her?

According to a few websites out there that attempt to list celebrity MBTI tyoes, Natalie Portman is an INFJ.

However, I highly suspect these sites are nothing but conjecture as they list other celebrities as INFJs who can't possibly be: Johnny Cash (Quintessential ISFP), Zach Braff (ENTP posterboy), Nicholas Cage (SERIOUSLY?), Ashton Kutchner (ENTP extrordinaire), William Shatner (WTF?), Robin Williams (He's the freakin ENFP Avatar!), Emma Watson (INTP), Michelle Obama (I give up). Hell, these results don't even match their acting roles, let alone their public personas. Pure dart throwing conjecture.

I would love to have a lsit of celebrities who have actually taken the MBTI, and their self assessment results (individual percentages would be ideal).

Of course, it is possible that Natalie Portman self assessed as INFJ at some point, because a lot of the people on these lists have self identified as INFJs (even though some of them are most likely not INFJs ... these are their actual results) such as Nicole Kidman, etc. as well as the afore mentioned fact that Natalie Portman has a Psychology degree and has probably taken the MBTI as part of her classes. As further evidence of the possibility, Natalie Portman does seem to surround herself with ENTPs like Ellen DeGeneres, Zach Braff, and Andy Samberg.

She certainly seems to have INFJ body language in many of her roles. I have to agree that Black Swan was definitely an ISFJ role though. The Natalie rap was written by Andy Samberg, who is an ENTP, so this is likely the reason for the ENTP effect.

Here's my opinion...
Natalie has that classic Se inferior drive to do something physical to prove herself - dance, along with a lot of classic Se fails in interviews such as picking her nose.
Natalie is clearly an Fe in all of her interviews. Look up her Oscar acceptance speech, and you will see a profound amount of Fe. The degree to which she thanks people and what she says about them, their relationships, and how "We" and "us" oriented her focus is... very Fe.
Natalie has a strong Ti but with a clear focus on people (Fe) what she feels is right (Fe) with respect to her education in Psychology and philanthropistic endeavors, as well as learning several languages to a fair degree "...can speak two languages, Hebrew and English (her native languages), fluently. Also knows some conversational French, German, and Japanese and Spanish". This implies that her Ti is stronger than her Se, and that leaves ISTP and INFJ. Dominant or tertiary Ti.
Natalie is freakin brilliant in that way that an N dominant is freakin brilliant. She's also a big old nerd, just like us N types.
I met her at a Starbucks once, and while I didn't have the presence of mind to do much other than say stuff like "love your work" or ask her if she'd ever taken Myers Briggs, I really did get an INFJ vibe off of her. She was very sweet, down to earth, and warm. She talked to us for the few minutes we were in line about why she was in town (visiting family). She wasn't at all arrogant or anything you'd expect from a celebrity of her calibur. She seemed very much like my INFJ friends.

Last edited:
i ♥ natalie portman.

i think i need to see Black Swan. i haven't yet.

Reactions: invisible
I'm actually all for shooting her a collecive e-mail asking her MBTI type.

Mostly because I'm so convinced of ENTP I want to throw it in your faces...

I've only half seen Fight Club. When I say half seen I mean I watched it when I was real blazed and was therefore convinced it was a parody of itself.

(Does that happen to anyone else? I watched Interview With A Vampire really wasted and could NOT take it seriously.)

I remember her from the Professional; it's strange seeing an actress growing up

Not unless Days of Our Lives was a movie that was absolutely mind bending and perspective changing for most of the women who watched it.

I now feel very uncultured for not knowing what Days of Our Lives is.