Merkabah | Page 421 | INFJ Forum
Good morning.
So that crazy heavy hitting lethargy that got me in the late morning turned into ugly intense pain by the evening after I had meditated (which usually helps).
The weather is changing back from warmer (still cold AF) rainy days to dry and freezing again...along with lots of hail yesterday too so perhaps the barometer change had something to do with it too?
I went to yoga on Sunday evening and felt fine besides pulling my side a bit.
Was going to go today at noon, but I’m not sure that is possible this time.
This is the part where I have to work especially hard on letting go of things...not to get disappointed with, or frustrated in myself...or angry at the condition or pain itself...or turn inward and look at myself as less than I was once or broken somehow...then to also not feel guilty about having to take time for myself above those I care about, and to see them also have to deal with it from their POV.
See how all these feelings and emotions get tangled up in the actual physical pain?
That is also my current work...to recognize and separate the actual pain from the emotional pain and suffering it can create.
To even stop and recognize takes away a lot of the fuel for it to burn and grow.
Unfortunately our mind is wired up to fight fight fight, fix fix fix, do do do.
And if you stop, the ego calls you names and puts thoughts of failure and giving up in your head.
That’s some BS.
lol
But hey...just knowing all this and understanding how it affects me in a more detailed and insightful way has been incredibly helpful with finding a more peaceful path through it all.
I of course, also thank you all here on the forum and this thread for friendships, the empathy, the kind words of support and advice and compassion.
My most humble and deepest gratitude to you all!
Many of you have helped me many a time, some unbeknownst to you probably...mostly just by taking a second to connect as the good friends you are.
Thank you for being so nonjudgmental (at least outwardly so) of me and indulging my often bizarre tales and thoughts...I feel like this is a safe space to do that in, that is much appreciated.

I wish you all a wonderful and happy day/evening...may you find some peace in your heart today.
Much love all.
:<3white:

Hey Skare, how are you doing today? You are such an inspiration to everyone that it's easy to forget how much effort it takes you to keep yourself so positive in the face of all your health problems. Merkabah is a fountain of good things - spiritual insights, brilliant mythical art, whacky humour, advice to people who are suffering from all sorts of physical, mental and spiritual concerns and problems. You always take such care of people when they come to you for advice - all the more insightful because you talk from experience as well as knowledge. Very many thanks for the material on Mindfulness that you have put in my direction.

I hope things have improved for you today - you are in my thoughts and I wish you all the peace in the world in return for your blessing
:<3green:

This might be of interest for those with open less in the box type of minds, been wanting out of this trap of a world.

What is this interesting looking thing called? Is it a symbol? it reminds me of sefirot
Close!
Indeed there is some relation to Kabbalah.
Metatron’s Cube:

Metatron's Cube and the Platonic Solids

This complex Sacred Geometry structure - ”Metatron's Cube”, is derived from the ancient structure of the Flower of Life.
It is named after the Archangel Metatron.

Metatron appears in Jewish tradition, Christian tradition, and in some aspects of Islam.
Metatron is in charge of all of creation and is considered an Archangel as well as a judge.

Since very ancient times, it has been believed that God created the entire cosmos according to a specific geometric plan.
Sacred Geometry refers to the geometric shapes, patterns, frequencies, proportions, ratios, and laws that have been observed to underlie the organic life forms, objects and phenomenon occurring anywhere in the universe.

metatrons-cube.jpg

People have always held the symbols of Sacred Geometry holy and tried to use them to understand the divine truths behind all existence.
One of these revered figures is the Metatron's Cube.

What is Metatron’s Cube
Metatron's Cube is the name given to a very complex two-dimensional geometric figure made from 13 circles of the same size, with lines extending from the center of every circle to the center of all the other twelve circles.

It is considered a geometric variant of the "Fruit of Life" symbol that is, in turn, derived from the Flower of Life, a powerful Sacred Geometry symbol believed to hold all the patterns of creation

Metatron’s Cube and the 5 Platonic Solids
Metatron's Cube is said to contain the five key sacred patterns or shapes that make up all matter in this universe.
Known as the Platonic Solids, these shapes are Star Tetrahedron, Hexahedron, Octahedron, Dodecahedron, and Icosahedron.

platonic-solids-metatron.jpg

The Platonic Solids are called the perfect solids because, in each of them, every face has equal side length, equal face size, and equal angle.
Moreover, all these figures fit perfectly within a sphere.

The Platonic Solids are named after the ancient Greek philosopher Plato who was influenced by Pythagoras and it's disciples - the Pythagoreans who were looking for the secret patterns and laws that govern the universe.

Plato and Pythagoras shared a mystical approach to the soul and its place in the material world.
They were looking for the secret key - Prima Materia - the primitive formless base of all matter.

The Metatron's Cube is that secret key...

The five Platonic Solids are regarded as the building blocks of the universe and equated with the five elements with which everything is made - fire, earth, air, water, and ether.

Star Tetrahedron - Fire
The Star Tetrahedron symbolizes the element of Fire.
Made of two tetrahedrons (triangular pyramids), the Star Tetrahedron is a sharp figure that corresponds with the sharp and piercing heat of the fire.
Its uniform shape also makes it symbolic of harmony, equilibrium, stability, and balance.

Hexahedron - Earth
The Hexahedron represents the element of Earth.
It is shaped like a cube and with its regular & straight lines, it is symbolic of solidity and firmness that are the key characteristics of the Earth.
Moreover, the Hexahedron sits flat and firmly rooted, just like the earth.

Octahedron - Air
The Octahedron is symbolic of the element of Air.
The Octahedron has a smooth shape made of eight equilateral triangles which can be equated with the minuscule components of Air that are so smooth that they can hardly be felt.

Icosahedron - Water
The Icosahedron is equated with the element of Water.
The Icosahedron is made of 20 equilateral triangles and is the Platonic Solid with the maximum number of faces.
Its smooth and even figure is seen as an apt symbol for water that smoothly flows away when one attempts to pick it up.

Dodecahedron - ether
Dodecahedron - ether The Dodecahedron is associated with ether, a unique element of the heavens, sky or space.
Ether is regarded as the fifth crucial element that combines with the other four classical elements of fire, earth, air, and water to make up everything in the universe.

As the five essential elements, the five Platonic Solids are considered very crucial to the creation and, by virtue of having the Platonic Solids encompassed within itself, the Metatron'™s Cube becomes a symbol of universal unity and inter-connectedness.

@Skarekrow I find Kabbalah intriguing. Do you know something about the origin of the star of David? Or have some personal beliefs about the origin? It is visible in that metatron's cube too. I don't believe the Tanach speaks about it. Haven't thought about ether as a fifth element before.. interesting. Somehow 5 makes sense to me, like 5 fingers on a hand. interesting interesting post.

@Skarekrow I find Kabbalah intriguing. Do you know something about the origin of the star of David? Or have some personal beliefs about the origin? It is visible in that metatron's cube too. I don't believe the Tanach speaks about it. Haven't thought about ether as a fifth element before.. interesting. Somehow 5 makes sense to me, like 5 fingers on a hand. interesting interesting post.

Actually, it has it’s own roots in Kabbalah.
It was a talisman first incorporated in the original Seals of Solomon.
http://www.silverhoofs.com/seals_so.htm

As for ether...yes.
For a long time, even Einstein tried to prove it’s existence and had little luck...but some still believe in it’s existence.
One could argue that dark matter and dark energy...that technically determine how our universe functions, yet we cannot see it or interact with it - could be considered “ether”.
Or the general idea that the universe is more like a giant jello ball...that space is a substance unto itself, subject to it warping and bending.
The idea of ether or aether goes back to the beginnings of mankind and has even been used to prove several theories that turned out to be true...so who knows if it exists or not?
There are potentially other types of matter, energy, even time...certainly highly dimensions...all of which could hide aether.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)

Hey Skare, how are you doing today? You are such an inspiration to everyone that it's easy to forget how much effort it takes you to keep yourself so positive in the face of all your health problems. Merkabah is a fountain of good things - spiritual insights, brilliant mythical art, whacky humour, advice to people who are suffering from all sorts of physical, mental and spiritual concerns and problems. You always take such care of people when they come to you for advice - all the more insightful because you talk from experience as well as knowledge. Very many thanks for the material on Mindfulness that you have put in my direction.

I hope things have improved for you today - you are in my thoughts and I wish you all the peace in the world in return for your blessing
:<3green:

Ah...so-so.
TBH.

Thanks for asking.
Thanks for all your very kind words and support that never wavers!

Yes...things were a bit better today...not so much pain, not so tired.
I caught up on some needed sleep and rest...thanks for everyones’ patience.

Hopefully I can keep helping people with what I am able!
I DO have challenges, but the rewards far outweigh the extra effort that some things take, like my pain group.
As far as challenges go...thank you...but it’s difficult to say that mine are any worse than your own or anyone else...everything is subjective, you are very kind...people are hurting worse than me.

I read this great poem today I thought you would appreciate.

“Knowing yourself
is part of the process of grief.
Embracing your loss
allows it to be free.

When you understand
that life is a gift,
then loss becomes
a part of life.

If you can stand firm
and embrace your loss,
the you are full
of the knowledge of life.”

~ Lao Tzu

Thank you John for your friendship, consistent support, and understanding.
I hang in there one way or another!

How about you?
How are things?

BTW I just started to read -
51Hw7RfF4%2BL._SX449_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’ll let you know how it is!!

Much love to you and your family!

This might be of interest for those with open less in the box type of minds, been wanting out of this trap of a world.

Thanks!!
I will have to watch when I get time!
What do you think about the subject?

Once we accept that the hidden world is real and we can experience its occupants, there isn't a great deal further to go before we experience the Spirit at the heart of it all. How can I express what it is like to become aware of that Spirit and realise it knows and loves you to the core and that nothing else matters? For a moment, the shadows flee, and only I and You are there, and then everything else, when you come back again, is sanctified and precious beyond description. If you can see the shadows, you aren't far from an encounter with this Spirit if you really want it.

Thanks!!
I will have to watch when I get time!
What do you think about the subject?

This is a hint towards partly the reasons why as to why people are what they are and why there can be so many differences as well so many similarities. On a personal note I am pretty tired of this world and want to go home wherever it is. Going deeper on this subject there is a great deal to be learned once more gets out and it opens up so many possibilities.

Ah...so-so.
TBH.

Thanks for asking.
Thanks for all your very kind words and support that never wavers!

Yes...things were a bit better today...not so much pain, not so tired.
I caught up on some needed sleep and rest...thanks for everyones’ patience.

Hopefully I can keep helping people with what I am able!
I DO have challenges, but the rewards far outweigh the extra effort that some things take, like my pain group.
As far as challenges go...thank you...but it’s difficult to say that mine are any worse than your own or anyone else...everything is subjective, you are very kind...people are hurting worse than me.

I read this great poem today I thought you would appreciate.

“Knowing yourself
is part of the process of grief.
Embracing your loss
allows it to be free.

When you understand
that life is a gift,
then loss becomes
a part of life.

If you can stand firm
and embrace your loss,
the you are full
of the knowledge of life.”

~ Lao Tzu

Thank you John for your friendship, consistent support, and understanding.
I hang in there one way or another!

How about you?
How are things?

BTW I just started to read -
51Hw7RfF4%2BL._SX449_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’ll let you know how it is!!

Much love to you and your family!

We are doing OK up to a point. I suppose at our age we've got to expect things starting to play up a bit on top of all the long term problems. We both have recurring trouble with our digestive systems - the younger folks are fixated on relationship and sexual problems, but when you get older the focus shifts and its digestion, colic and bowels that hold centre stage LOL. Best not to go there ....... don't get me started on colonoscopies.

The poem is well said - it is in the same space as the 9 Attitudes isn't it? The words are a great comfort.
But making them fully part of our lives is another matter LOL. There's no question of saying - 'Done that, got the T-shirt, I'm bored, what's next?' :D and a good thing too, plenty of meat there.

I just found this from the Tao Te Ching that you might like - it feels Merkabah is a good place for it .....

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 16

Empty yourself of everything.
Let the mind rest at peace.
The ten thousand things rise and fall while the Self watches their return.
They grow and flourish and then return to the source.
Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature.
The way of nature is unchanging.
Knowing constancy is insight.
Not knowing constancy leads to disaster.
Knowing constancy, the mind is open.
With an open mind, you will be openhearted.
Being openhearted, you will act royally.
Being royal, you will attain the divine.
Being divine, you will be at one with the Tao.
Being at one with the Tao is eternal.
And though the body dies, the Tao will never pass away.​

Do let us know how you get on with the book,

Much Love to you and yours
2018-10-13-green-heart-gif.45254

On a personal note I am pretty tired of this world and want to go home wherever it is.

I haven't had chance to listen to the video you posted so far - it's quite long and I seem to have a backlog of really interesting videos to see that have been posted recently. I just wanted to say how much I feel that desire to go home too. Ever since I was a small child I've known that this world isn't where I belong. There have been times when if a door opened and I could just walk through, I would have gone - sometimes because things were bad here, but more especially when I've had glimpses of what's waiting for us over there and which is so hard to describe. On the other hand, I have this profound sense that we are put in this world for a purpose and that it's important or we wouldn't be here - certainly since I was in my early 20s I've had people very dependent on me one way or another. I often find myself amused when people say they would like to live forever - that sounds dreadful to me LOL. Onwards and upwards and no looking back when the time comes ........

Last edited:
That sounds kinda scary and unreal. So you would say this implant/entity/energy vampire thing is like being possessed? U sayin the ripping out part was for your own good? Cuz maybe it didnt work on me lol

The transition humanity is going through right now can be perceived as "Scary" because we don't understand what's happening to us nor do we understand our own power. To quote Graham Hancock "We are a species with anmesia...".
So yes... it got a bit scary during the process and I had to consciously Breathe through it.
No... I would not call it "being possessed". Everything that happens happens for a reason. But I would say it was a sort of controlling mechanism(technology) to keep me "small".... limited....and unaware of myself.
Yes.... the removal process was absolutely for my own good at this stage of my lifetime.
The key to moving through these days in our history is to let go of THE Story....or the Stories....our Mind tells us. I didn't hang on to the experience by reliving it and going over and over it again in my mind and I'm all the better for the experience.
You will be fine once you let the idea that it didn't work on you....go. ;)

Once we accept that the hidden world is real and we can experience its occupants, there isn't a great deal further to go before we experience the Spirit at the heart of it all. How can I express what it is like to become aware of that Spirit and realise it knows and loves you to the core and that nothing else matters? For a moment, the shadows flee, and only I and You are there, and then everything else, when you come back again, is sanctified and precious beyond description. If you can see the shadows, you aren't far from an encounter with this Spirit if you really want it.

Very beautifully written words John!

We are doing OK up to a point. I suppose at our age we've got to expect things starting to play up a bit on top of all the long term problems. We both have recurring trouble with our digestive systems - the younger folks are fixated on relationship and sexual problems, but when you get older the focus shifts and its digestion, colic and bowels that hold centre stage LOL. Best not to go there ....... don't get me started on colonoscopies.

The poem is well said - it is in the same space as the 9 Attitudes isn't it? The words are a great comfort.
But making them fully part of our lives is another matter LOL. There's no question of saying - 'Done that, got the T-shirt, I'm bored, what's next?' :D and a good thing too, plenty of meat there.

I just found this from the Tao Te Ching that you might like - it feels Merkabah is a good place for it .....

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 16

Empty yourself of everything.
Let the mind rest at peace.
The ten thousand things rise and fall while the Self watches their return.
They grow and flourish and then return to the source.
Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature.
The way of nature is unchanging.
Knowing constancy is insight.
Not knowing constancy leads to disaster.
Knowing constancy, the mind is open.
With an open mind, you will be openhearted.
Being openhearted, you will act royally.
Being royal, you will attain the divine.
Being divine, you will be at one with the Tao.
Being at one with the Tao is eternal.
And though the body dies, the Tao will never pass away.​

Do let us know how you get on with the book,

Much Love to you and yours
2018-10-13-green-heart-gif.45254

I know all about digestion problems hahaha.
Ankylosing spondylitis can effect that as well...not to mention that the secondary depression/anxiety can also wreak havoc on the bowels as well.
Also...I was technically in the hospital this time last year dying from pancreatitis!
After they did an ERCP to fish all the gallstones that had lodged in all my pancreatic ducts, my cystic, and bile ducts...basically ALL the ducts that come off your liver and pancreas....they did a laparoscopic cholecystectomy and took out my gallbladder full of stones that was messing it all up.
My lipase was 8000+ something when I came into the ER...it tops out in the normal range around 85....lol...along with several other screwy labs.

They say it takes almost a year or even more for your digestion to go back to normal (if it does at all) after that surgery and problem, and I can say that that is about right in my case.
When I had anxiety issues I would also have those 4am panic attack-ish incidents that also would cause IBS problems.
I highly, highly recommend against getting pancreatitis - uber painful, and I think I know pain!
;)

Yes you are correct...it is not just reading the words that makes the change, and that is why it is so difficult.
If I could apply everything I know in my head...well, shit...that would awesome.
Unfortunately...or perhaps fortunately...many of these thoughts and ideas on living and being take a lot of practice to bring to fruition!
That poem is a good one!
And the book as very well written so far...I am only a few chapters in so far, so I will withhold any criticisms I have until the end...he may yet address what I am thinking about him missing.
But otherwise it is a wonderful book full of great nuggets of wisdom and helpful ideas and ways to live a more peaceful life with less suffering.
Thanks John...I appreciate all your words and sentiment.
Take care and much love to you and your family!

"Healing seems impossible,
yet healing does happen.
Hurting seems to be reality,
yet other things matter also.

Everything seems difficult.
Thinking is slow.
Fog covers all.

By allowing the hurt to happen,
you begin to heal the wounds.
If you can stay on the path,
the Tao heals you to wholeness."

~ Lao Tzu

A few bits to make you smile...

52874802_10156592783041693_3545587737270681600_n.jpg

52914663_2269184683132568_2347248289243463680_n.jpg

52929878_2324753994223896_7825882913886437376_n.jpg

52956967_2269110856473284_7725973801258713088_n.jpg

53052641_2270475436336826_6143771277489340416_n.png

53117676_2270410676343302_3617578368473497600_n.jpg

53155176_2271962896188080_5821875242569564160_n.jpg

53245795_2473442026064022_7643662982118899712_n.jpg

53260598_2270970309620672_3155632989153525760_n.jpg

53380625_515461182194064_8815317605062541312_n.jpg

Last edited:
A few things more...

52730242_10156588622826693_4828169498475364352_n.jpg

52768855_1175659529273939_3370929396075462656_n.jpg

52771864_2110776412331356_6806990351992094720_n.jpg

52789762_2269027956481574_1589593638499778560_n.jpg

52828216_611257049320659_3997141898484514816_n.jpg

(How I felt in school)
52838925_2269186033132433_2517888752957784064_n.jpg

52846283_10156588213171693_7589202990079148032_n.jpg

(Yep)
51434261_2261041060881949_5092076594361532416_n.jpg

51503087_2262776394041749_3206301560158027776_n.jpg

51586934_2264264747226247_7238985395348701184_n.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lastly...

50269258_2241179649534757_4761861753250250752_n.jpg

(I totally did this!! ahahaha)
51165971_2255118644807524_4237490999967875072_n.jpg

52696103_1189929927847553_3182437188558127104_n.jpg

52692439_10156592254886693_657280487647084544_n.jpg

52598258_2104465206295810_6065720194028797952_n.jpg

Let's talk about Situational Depression.

In short: let's not confuse despair with illness.

51679610_10157595390076554_8518479311290761216_n.jpg

I acknowledge that some mental health issues may have genetic or other unavoidable causes.

Coroner Ros Fogliani blamed the recent cluster of Kimberley child suicides on 'the crushing effects of tragic intergenerational trauma'.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-07/kimberley-child-suicides-blamed-on-inter-generational-trauma/10783016

I agree with the Coroner.

Calling depression an "illness", suggests a dysfunctional brain is the reason for someone’s feelings or behavior.

BUT WHAT IF, for some of us, like those Kimberley children, depression is not simply evidence of a broken mind,
but a REASONABLE AND RATIONAL REACTION to circumstance?

An isolated elderly person is "depressed" sitting alone at home 24/7 with no interests or human contact.
But their "depression" is mysteriously "cured" when they move to be near family, go on regular outings and make new friends.

That was never a sick brain needing a medicalized label.
It was a social issue with a social solution.

A person experiencing extreme anxiety due to domestic violence, doesn't have a “chemical imbalance in the brain”.
They're having a totally understandable reaction to their life circumstance.
And no amount of medical or psychological treatments are going to help, until they get the hell out of there.

Before we rush to call something a sickness,
maybe we should ask if their depressive symptoms are in fact an appropriate and proportional response to their life situation.

What if these symptoms are actually the proof that their brain is functioning just fine?
“Mood disorders” certainly impact all corners of society.

However, there is a reason depression is more prevalent and long lasting in some post codes than others.
Could it be the grinding stress, unappealing environment and limited life options of living in poverty?

A young woman might constantly look over her shoulder when walking in the city and notice
her thoughts racing and her hands shaking when she catches the night train.

We might recognize anxiety, but let’s not tell her she’s sick.
She's reacting to the world she lives in.

Someone who is constantly racially taunted, mistrusted and bullied commits suicide.
Is it them who is has an “illness” or is it our society?

Some people feel so grief struck by climate change that they can't get out of bed in the morning.
A friend of mine is crying for the Great Barrier Reef, like he’s lost his best friend.

Mental illness?
Or a sign of one of the few minds sane and courageous enough to really face what is happening?

People living in refugee centers or some of the Aboriginal communities that Coroner Fogliani examined?
They’re not sick … their situation is.

How much of people's grief, trauma and despair, do we attribute to "mental illness”,
because it’s easier to assume that they have a broken brain, than that we have a broken world?

I know that not all mental illness is environmental.
And even for clear cases of Situational Depression,
recovery can be complex and require multi-modal responses, sometimes including medication.

However, I am sure that some of what we refer to as a sickness is actually just how sane humans respond to unbearable situations.
There would be something wrong with them if they weren’t depressed.

We need to fix the social dysfunction which is often the underlying problem,
before we continue labelling the inevitable human responses as broken.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Hunter S. Thompson’s Monumental Letter to a Friend

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 4.36.33 PM.png

April 22, 1958
57 Perry Street
New York City

Dear Hume,
You ask advice: ah, what a very human and very dangerous thing to do! For to give advice to a man who asks what to do with his life implies something very close to egomania. To presume to point a man to the right and ultimate goal — to point with a trembling finger in the RIGHT direction is something only a fool would take upon himself.

I am not a fool, but I respect your sincerity in asking my advice. I ask you though, in listening to what I say, to remember that all advice can only be a product of the man who gives it. What is truth to one may be disaster to another. I do not see life through your eyes, nor you through mine. If I were to attempt to give you specific advice, it would be too much like the blind leading the blind.

“To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles … ” (Shakespeare)

And indeed, that IS the question: whether to float with the tide, or to swim for a goal. It is a choice we must all make consciously or unconsciously at one time in our lives. So few people understand this! Think of any decision you’ve ever made which had a bearing on your future: I may be wrong, but I don’t see how it could have been anything but a choice however indirect — between the two things I’ve mentioned: the floating or the swimming.

But why not float if you have no goal? That is another question. It is unquestionably better to enjoy the floating than to swim in uncertainty. So how does a man find a goal? Not a castle in the stars, but a real and tangible thing. How can a man be sure he’s not after the “big rock candy mountain,” the enticing sugar-candy goal that has little taste and no substance?

The answer — and, in a sense, the tragedy of life — is that we seek to understand the goal and not the man. We set up a goal which demands of us certain things: and we do these things. We adjust to the demands of a concept which CANNOT be valid. When you were young, let us say that you wanted to be a fireman. I feel reasonably safe in saying that you no longer want to be a fireman. Why? Because your perspective has changed. It’s not the fireman who has changed, but you. Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man, and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.

So it would seem foolish, would it not, to adjust our lives to the demands of a goal we see from a different angle every day? How could we ever hope to accomplish anything other than galloping neurosis?

The answer, then, must not deal with goals at all, or not with tangible goals, anyway. It would take reams of paper to develop this subject to fulfillment. God only knows how many books have been written on “the meaning of man” and that sort of thing, and god only knows how many people have pondered the subject. (I use the term “god only knows” purely as an expression.) There’s very little sense in my trying to give it up to you in the proverbial nutshell, because I’m the first to admit my absolute lack of qualifications for reducing the meaning of life to one or two paragraphs.

I’m going to steer clear of the word “existentialism,” but you might keep it in mind as a key of sorts. You might also try something called “Being and Nothingness” by Jean-Paul Sartre, and another little thing called “Existentialism: From Dostoyevsky to Sartre.” These are merely suggestions. If you’re genuinely satisfied with what you are and what you’re doing, then give those books a wide berth. (Let sleeping dogs lie.) But back to the answer. As I said, to put our faith in tangible goals would seem to be, at best, unwise. So we do not strive to be firemen, we do not strive to be bankers, nor policemen, nor doctors.WE STRIVE TO BE OURSELVES.

But don’t misunderstand me. I don’t mean that we can’t BE firemen, bankers, or doctors — but that we must make the goal conform to the individual, rather than make the individual conform to the goal. In every man, heredity and environment have combined to produce a creature of certain abilities and desires — including a deeply ingrained need to function in such a way that his life will be MEANINGFUL. A man has to BE something; he has to matter.

As I see it then, the formula runs something like this: a man must choose a path which will let his ABILITIES function at maximum efficiency toward the gratification of his DESIRES. In doing this, he is fulfilling a need (giving himself identity by functioning in a set pattern toward a set goal), he avoids frustrating his potential (choosing a path which puts no limit on his self-development), and he avoids the terror of seeing his goal wilt or lose its charm as he draws closer to it (rather than bending himself to meet the demands of that which he seeks, he has bent his goal to conform to his own abilities and desires).

In short, he has not dedicated his life to reaching a pre-defined goal, but he has rather chosen a way of life he KNOWS he will enjoy. The goal is absolutely secondary: it is the functioning toward the goal which is important. And it seems almost ridiculous to say that a man MUST function in a pattern of his own choosing; for to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life — the definitive act of will which makes a man an individual.

Let’s assume that you think you have a choice of eight paths to follow (all pre-defined paths, of course). And let’s assume that you can’t see any real purpose in any of the eight. THEN — and here is the essence of all I’ve said — you MUST FIND A NINTH PATH.

Naturally, it isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’ve lived a relatively narrow life, a vertical rather than a horizontal existence. So it isn’t any too difficult to understand why you seem to feel the way you do. But a man who procrastinates in his CHOOSING will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

So if you now number yourself among the disenchanted, then you have no choice but to accept things as they are, or to seriously seek something else. But beware of looking for goals: look for a way of life. Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life. But you say, “I don’t know where to look; I don’t know what to look for.”

And there’s the crux. Is it worth giving up what I have to look for something better? I don’t know — is it? Who can make that decision but you? But even by DECIDING TO LOOK, you go a long way toward making the choice.

If I don’t call this to a halt, I’m going to find myself writing a book. I hope it’s not as confusing as it looks at first glance. Keep in mind, of course, that this is MY WAY of looking at things. I happen to think that it’s pretty generally applicable, but you may not. Each of us has to create our own credo — this merely happens to be mine.

If any part of it doesn’t seem to make sense, by all means call it to my attention. I’m not trying to send you out “on the road” in search of Valhalla, but merely pointing out that it is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it. There is more to it than that — no one HAS to do something he doesn’t want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that’s what you wind up doing, by all means convince yourself that you HAD to do it. You’ll have lots of company.

And that’s it for now. Until I hear from you again, I remain,

your friend,
Hunter