Merkabah | Page 360 | INFJ Forum
Update...

My brother’s home is under the lava flows in Hawaii...big time bummer....he’s okay though right now, staying with friends and figuring out what to do now.
I just had a nerve ablation in my back last week, seems to be helping, but it’s hard to tell as it can cause some pain as it heals...so far I am again disappointed though by such procedures and would really like to find something that works in a significant manner to reduce the chronic pain.
Medication and meditation...*sigh*...getting old.
I feel semi-frustrated lately by my lack of options and the things that hold me down (pain).
Supposed to start Cimzia now that my liver enzymes are back to normal after my gallbladder removal...I would like to say I am looking forward to starting it, but I’m not.
Instead I am preparing myself for more disappointment and side-effects.
Yes...I know, wrong frame of mind - but maintaining that frame of mind when things and my mood itself are ineffective in actually changing anything is difficult.
How we react to strife is key they say...when it is a constant process though, it’s quite difficult to keep a chin up all the time.
When you put all your hope in things that are supposed to help only to have them fail again and again, it is challenging to say the least.
Well, enough woe is me.
Much love!

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote
Honestly, I can’t stand doing breath-work (which probably means I should be doing more of it).
I cannot however say that it lacks worth and there are definitely benefits people have procured.
Anyhow, enjoy!

Holotropic Breathwork
holotropic-breathwork.jpg

Holotropic breathwork is a way of breathing your way into a new state of consciousness.
The best part: they haven’t figured out how to make breathing illegal…yet.

Drugs are usually the first thing someone encounters when researching how to become a psychonaut.
They provide a quick shortcut to an altered state of consciousness that sounds fun and exciting.

Psychedelics are the cheat code to reaching enlightenment.
However, because of the illegality of these substances, many psychonauts put themselves into jeopardy just to press the limits of their experience, either with legal quandaries with drugs or by taking substances that are harmful and untested.

Fortunately, our body is the best drug mule we could want.
Through meditation, lucid dreaming, sensory deprivation, and a myriad of other natural means, we can achieve altered states of consciousness.

One avenue that few have heard of is holotropic breath work.
At its core, holotropic breathwork, or just breathwork, is controlling your breathing to reach an altered state of consciousness.

What is Holotropic Breathwork?
Before diving into how to successfully perform holotropic breathwork for non-ordinary states, it is worth noting the individual responsible with bringing the practice to the forefront.

Stanislav Grof is one of the early scientific researchers who was dedicated to LSD therapy.
His work was mostly centered around exploring the mind in this susceptible tripping state to determine where trauma has affected an individual.

With the drug crackdown in the 60s, Grof developed a formalized breathwork discipline that he trademarked as “Holotropic Breathwork.”

Now in his 80s, Stanislav Grof is still certifying practitioners of holotropic breathwork and leading seminars for individuals to try it out first hand.

How to Do Holotropic Breathwork
Here’s a typical, instructor-led holotropic breathwork session:

1. Take Deep Breaths

The first part of breathwork is to breathe deep.
It’s best to be totally reclined while doing this step.
Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

I don’t mean just a deep breath.
I mean push your stomach out and take in as much as you can.

Once you have taken in a deep breath, push it all out as hard as you can.
This will feel very unnatural, and it shows you the capacity of your lungs.

It also changes breathing from a subconscious thing you do to something you are focused on controlling.
Do this for a few minutes.

Keep going with it while focusing on just your breath.
You want to clear as much of your mind as you can.

Feel free to take breaks if you get too dizzy, but focus on acclimating to these sensations as this is a foundational step.
To help clear your mind, imagine your thoughts as clouds passing over head.

Don’t focus on the clouds, just observe them while focusing on your breathing.
When you have conquered the deep breaths, you’re ready for the next step.

2. Do It Faster
This is the essence of holotropic breath work.
You are going to take a breath, and exhale as soon as you hit capacity, and then take another one as soon as that breath is exhaled.

One trick I found was learning circular breathing.
Musicians use this to play without breaks.

Simply put, you are inhaling deep, filling your lungs, and then exhaling out your mouth.
Before you lose too much air, puff your cheeks, and then push that air out as you inhale through your nose, in a sniffing sensation.

This sounds impossible, but if you use a straw in some water, you can see it happen a lot faster.
Practice that, and eventually, you’ll get decent enough at it.

This is the same mechanism you want to do when you are speeding up your breathing.
As soon as you exhale and feeling your oxygen depleting, inhale deep.

Practice doing it as fast as comfortable.

The goal here is also to be able to inhale and exhale as hard as you possibly can.
It will feel like you’re not taking in much air, and well, that’s because you aren’t.

You are hyper-oxygenating your lungs, but you aren’t holding anything.
Keep doing this until it becomes second nature.

One thing to note at this step is to stay as relaxed as possible.
If you feel like your body is tensing, slow down a bit, but keep the breaths deep and filling.

Extra Considerations
One fun fact is that if you breathe in through your mouth, your body, for a lot of people, will create a panic reaction.
This is likely because in fight-or-flight circumstances, you need as much air as possible to either run or stand your ground.

To prevent that sensation from happening during breathwork, you want inhale through the nose and exhale out your mouth.
If you can do it all nose, go for it.

As you start to get into the rhythm after a few minutes, you may switch to totally mouth breathing rapidly.
Stick with it if you are able to stay relaxed while doing it.

The idea is the path of least resistance in order to breath as much as possible, as fast as possible.

• At first, breathwork will be a little uncomfortable, even if just mentally uncomfortable. You’ve spent your life learning how to breathe without thinking, and now, you are trying to change that coding. Once you start to get into breathwork, many have reported it as feeling quite disorienting and uneasy. It’s recommended you have a sitter when doing breathwork.

• Always lie down when doing breathwork. You may get lightheaded as your rapidly breathe, since you aren’t holding in much air. Reclining will help this and allow you to take in more air as your stomach can expand comfortably.

• Keep your eyes closed and focus on your breathing. It’ll be hard to keep your thoughts voided, but with practice and effort, your mind will be blank save for the repetition of “Breathe in, Breathe out.”

• Because the breathing can be a bit strenuous, it is always advised to talk to a doctor before attempting anything that could push your boundaries, especially if you have conditions like asthma, which probably means you shouldn’t do this at all, or some other lung disorder. While consciousness exploration is fun, safety is of paramount importance.
Now what?

As your practice gets better, entering an altered state of consciousness becomes easier.
Then, you are ready to explore the mind or the magical world around you.

These states will allow you to test new boundaries, (per Dr. Grof’s take on it), or just allow you to trod your own paths.
These states can feel very similar to advanced meditative practices and, allegedly, similar to psychedelic states.

You are the explorer—with a lifetime of incredible positive experiences ahead of you if you choose!

*sigh*
It’s just hard when life keeps knocking down the shit you build.
But whoever said it was easy right?
Good reminder anyhow.
;)

You Don’t Find Your Purpose — You Build It
By John Coleman

oct17-20-545796089-Damien-Gavios-EyeEm-850x478.jpg

“How do I find my purpose?”

Ever since Daniel Gulati, Oliver Segovia, and I published Passion & Purpose six years ago, I’ve received hundreds of questions — from younger and older people alike — about purpose.

We’re all looking for purpose.
Most of us feel that we’ve never found it, we’ve lost it, or in some way we’re falling short.

But in the midst of all this angst, I think we’re also suffering from what I see as fundamental misconceptions about purpose — neatly encapsulated by the question I receive most frequently: “How do I find my purpose?”

Challenging these misconceptions could help us all develop a more rounded vision of purpose.

Misconception #1: Purpose is only a thing you find.
On social media, I often see an inspiring quotation attributed to Mark Twain: “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

It neatly articulates what I’ll call the “Hollywood version” of purpose.
Like Neo in The Matrix or Rey in Star Wars, we’re all just moving through life waiting until fate delivers a higher calling to us.

Make no mistake: That can happen, at least in some form.
I recently saw Scott Harrison of Charity Water speak, and in many ways his story was about how he found a higher purpose after a period of wandering.

But I think it’s rarer than most people think.
For the average 20-year-old in college or 40-year-old in an unfulfilling job, searching for the silver bullet to give life meaning is more likely to end in frustration than fulfillment.

In achieving professional purpose, most of us have to focus as much on making our work meaningful as in taking meaning from it.
Put differently, purpose is a thing you build, not a thing you find.

Almost any work can possess remarkable purpose.
School bus drivers bear enormous responsibility — caring for and keeping safe dozens of children — and are an essential part of assuring our children receive the education they need and deserve.

Nurses play an essential role not simply in treating people’s medical conditions but also in guiding them through some of life’s most difficult times. Cashiers can be a friendly, uplifting interaction in someone’s day — often desperately needed — or a forgettable or regrettable one.

But in each of these instances, purpose is often primarily derived from focusing on what’s so meaningful and purposeful about the job and on doing it in such a way that that meaning is enhanced and takes center stage.

Sure, some jobs more naturally lend themselves to senses of meaning, but many require at least some deliberate effort to invest them with the purpose we seek.

Misconception #2: Purpose is a single thing.
The second misconception I often hear is that purpose can be articulated as a single thing.
Some people genuinely do seem to have an overwhelming purpose in their lives.

Mother Teresa lived her life to serve the poor.
Samuel Johnson poured every part of himself into his writing.

Marie Curie devoted her energy to her work.

And yet even these luminaries had other sources of purpose in their lives.
Mother Teresa served the poor as part of what she believed was a higher calling.

Curie, the Nobel prize–winning scientist, was also a devoted wife and mother (she wrote a biography of her husband Pierre, and one of her daughters, Irene, won her own Nobel prize).

And Johnson, beyond his writing, was known to be a great humanitarian in his community, often caring personally for the poor.

Most of us will have multiple sources of purpose in our lives.
For me, I find purpose in my children, my marriage, my faith, my writing, my work, and my community.

For almost everyone, there’s no one thing we can find.
It’s not purpose but purposes we are looking for — the multiple sources of meaning that help us find value in our work and lives.

Professional commitments are only one component of this meaning, and often our work isn’t central to our purpose but a means to helping others, including our families and communities.

Acknowledging these multiple sources of purpose takes the pressure off of finding a single thing to give our lives meaning.

Misconception #3: Purpose is stable over time.
It’s common now for people to have multiple careers in their lifetimes.
I know one individual, for example, who recently left a successful private equity career to found a startup.

I know two more who recently left business careers to run for elective office.
And whether or not we switch professional commitments, most of us will experience personal phases in which our sources of meaning change — childhood, young adulthood, parenthood, and empty-nesting, to name a few.

This evolution in our sources of purpose isn’t flaky or demonstrative of a lack of commitment, but natural and good.
Just as we all find meaning in multiple places, the sources of that meaning can and do change over time.

My focus and sense of purpose at 20 was dramatically different in many ways than it is now, and the same could be said of almost anyone you meet.

How do you find your purpose?
That’s the wrong question to ask.

We should be looking to endow everything we do with purpose, to allow for the multiple sources of meaning that will naturally develop in our lives, and to be comfortable with those changing over time.

Unpacking what we mean by “purpose” can allow us to better understand its presence and role in our lives.

So I went with Sensiko to her acupuncture appointment last night and the gal offered to put some in my ears for free while we waited.
She was super-“interesting” also...she had salt and pepper frizzy hair in a bob and teeth stained from too much coffee or tea or something...but she talked really fast and was a bit of a spaz.
Anyhow, she was asking me about what I used to do at the hospital and she stuck the first needle in and I got tongue tied because I started to laugh... (as she continued to add more needles) like really laugh to where I was failing to hold back tears and couldn’t catch my breath almost...then I got really hot, flushed, was abnormally hot feeling...she popped them in the other ear and it took me a good few minutes before I could stop laughing and answer her question...she of course has seen such reactions she claims.
It was a curious but rather enjoyable experience I have to say.
So opened up some kind of energy blockage I’m supposing. ;)

An Expansive Consciousness

by Ernie Fitzpatrick
March 09, 2017

conscious_universe720_01.jpg

Most people are simply unaware of how fast and how far we have come as collective consciousness, let alone how fast things are set to exponentially explode in the years ahead.

Like the "Frog in The Kettle", we're seemingly immune to the increased heat as the water heads to the boiling point.

In the last 50-75 years, there have been so many advances is the understanding of human consciousness and a renaissance in the whole Jungian concept of a collective unconsciousness.

We are truly on our way to major and revolutionary jumps in consciousness.
Are you game?

What was once on the fringes has now found acceptability...

I'm talking about subject and concepts such as:

• hypnosis psychotherapy

• rebirthing

• Eastern mysticism

• Spiritual shamanism

• primal therapy

• biofeedback

• sensory deprivation

• dream state

• NDE

• OBE,
...and many more.

Who is to say what's right, what's wrong.
They are all pieces of a very big puzzle.

We have no idea as to what major advances we are about to see in human consciousness.
But the NDE (near death experiences) and thanatology advances are opening worlds of possibilities.

The cumulative effect of where we've been and are headed, will definitely re-define life as we know it in a few short years.

Albert Einstein was a genius in so many ways.

However, his view of the universe was so small compared to what we know today.
Einstein developed the theory of relativity, but he saw the universe as static, unchanging.

His view was that the universe was a large cloud of stars.
How many he didn't speculate.

What we know today is that our solar system is a small part of the Milky Way galaxy which is just one of FIFTY BILLION galaxies:

each one with one hundred billion stars or more...

We also know that the universe is not static but alive and expanding.

But here is the big one.
Our planet, our galaxy, and our universe is ALIVE - conscious.

Giorgio de Santillana, in his great book, Hamlet's Mill said,

"Man is unable to fit himself into the concepts of today's astrophysics short of schizophrenia.

Modern man is facing the inconceivable. Archaic man, however, kept a firm grip on the conceivable by framing within his cosmos an order of time and an eschatology that made sense to him and reserved a fate for his soul.

Yet it was a prodigiously vast theory, with no concessions to merely human sentiments.

It, too, dilated the mind beyond the bearable, although without destroying man's role in the cosmos."

We're off and running.

If only we knew where...!

by Iam Saums
July 15, 2016

"Until we choose

our own experience of life,

we will never truly live."

Common Thread

There are over six billion unique interpretations of life in the three-dimensional construct we experience as reality.

Although human beings have the popular inclination to gravitate toward a common one to which we are bound, our true vision and nature is remarkably multiplicity.

We inevitably subject ourselves to inner and peripheral conditioning to toe the line of reality.
We become social echoes for an engineered existence that is distorted, elusive, obscure and unconscious.

We are multi-dimensional beings with eternal possibilities and infinite potential.

Our indoctrination into the complex principles and structures of the standard reality conditions, hypnotizes and manipulates us into the human imprisonment of instinct, reaction and survival.

We are akin to a clipper ship with unfastened sails, bouncing upon the social seas of happenstance.
Our body and brain is our hardware and our software is a two-dimensional program of instinct and intellect.

We are dependent upon and obliviously tethered to knowledge and logic, conditioned to be simulations in a paradigm of thought, threat and fear.

Playing the Angles

All of us are brainwashed and spellbound by the multi-faceted filters of our own perceptions.

We are frequently presented with opportunities to choose how we behold our experience of life.
Most of us view the world through an elaborate tapestry of our analysis, fears, judgments, and wants.

Rarely do we observe the world as it truly is.

We see it the way we would like it to be.
We live from these personal fantasies and push the agendas of our positions in the pursuit of making the common reality ever more comfortable, compliant or convenient to our own desires.

We engage with an illusion of what is instead of its authenticity.

The World We Enable

Our personal power is in our,

• creativity

• compassion

• consciousness

• love

• transformation
Yet, we express it most often with our,

• drama

• judgment

• opinion

• outrage
It isn't that we are purely oblivious to our truth and purpose.

We are products of the societal ethics to which we eagerly acquiesce.
It seems easier to abandon our own unique experience, existence and perception as an inauthentic and noble sacrifice instead of claiming and living the life only we were meant.

We are so powerful as human beings.

Yet, we commit to killing our lives everyday with our denial, disinterest, doubt and obedience to the enslavement of reality.

"Lay down your right.

Lay down your wrong.

Lay down the lie.

To which you belong."

The Human God

The human invention of God we accept and are expected to believe is primarily one of judgment, vengeance and wrath.

It is the fear beyond the myth that captivates our allegiance.
The intoxication of this false power seduces us into emulation and imitation.

Though we often fail to see the most glaring truth of this "divine" influence.

The raw power of our unattended ego imposes an experience and perception of cynicism, resignation and ridicule for anything that is not of our own clever design.

We adopt a defense of disapproval, drama, opinion and rumor rather than be present to the possibilities of acceptance, compassion and understanding.

Vital Signs

The medical field identifies the vitality of our existence by taking our pulse, analyzing our response to stimuli, observing our breath in different areas of our body and listening to our heart.

When we meet these basic criteria, we are given a label of heath and an acknowledgment of life.

Yet, the true measurement of living is found in our potential, expression and willingness to make a difference.
The true meaning of life is to serve others as much or more than ourselves for the sake of service.

When we choose to exercise this opportunity, we instantly transform our experience into one of community, purpose and possibility.

In Purpose

Most of us live our lives in the absence of purpose.

We have a tendency to throw havoc to the wind and see what returns to us.
More often than not very little does, at least to our desire.

Unfortunately, purpose isn't primarily exercised let alone existent in our society.

The very nature of reality does not support or sustain the extraordinary.
Our personal focus depends solely upon the what, how and why of our experience.

These are the crucial elements of our potential to empower our lives.

When we bring purpose to every facet of our experience, we express creativity, consciousness, enlightenment and transformation.

The Truth of False Power

Each one of us has our own unique experience of life defined by our choices, the focus of our energy, the perception(s) we embrace and the destiny we fulfill.

There is no one else in this world that could or should degrade, discredit, judge or question the authenticity, intent, meaning, and worth of our experiences.

All who do simply endeavor to conceal or protect their own fears, inadequacies, insecurities and weaknesses.

We have been raised in a social environment of defense that is of great peril to the coincidental targets of our expression.

The force of the false power we project upon others ultimately diminishes the truth of our own.

Being Our Experience

There is nothing more significant in our life than who we are being.

In a reality where being-ness has been swept under the proverbial rug of contemporary society, it is truly the only saving grace for the present and future of all.

Who we are being creates, expresses and sustains the quality of our commitment.
Our vision, empowerment, purpose and stand inspires how we truly live our lives.

Of us it requires our creativity, confidence, courage and trust to manifest our greatest experience.

Only through us will the power of our experience transcend the boundaries of reality and society and transform the world...

"The greatest experiences

we will ever have

are the ones

we choose to create.

Consciousness
~ The Beginning and the End ~

giphy.gif

by Michael Grosso

MICHAEL GROSSO studied classics and received his Ph.D. in philosophy from Columbia University.

Formerly a philosophy teacher at City University of New York and the City University of New Jersey, he is now affiliated with a research group at the Division of Perceptual Studies of the University of Virginia.

Recent books include Experiencing the Next World Now and (co-authored) Irreducible Mind: A Psychology for the 21st Century.

Presently at work on a book, Wings of Ecstasy: The Story of Joseph of Copertino, his main interest is in consciousness studies.

Grosso is also a painter.

He can be contacted via email at Grosso.michael@gmail.com.

Nothing is more certain than the fact that we are conscious.

And yet there is something very puzzling, even uncanny, about being conscious; and the learned talk of the mystery of consciousness.
The mystery centers around the origin of consciousness; the prevailing scientific view is that consciousness is a property that emerges from complex brains.

The problem is that we haven't the foggiest idea of how the stuff of our minds could conceivably come forth from anything physical.
Bits of electrified meat don't easily translate into episodes of consciousness - we have it, we know it, in some sense we are it - but what it is and where it came from escapes us.

There is also a mystery about the future of consciousness - I mean for each one of us there is the mystery of what comes after death.
There's no easy answer to the 'after' question, but I will offer my opinion, based on my own experience and research.

We might begin by saying that the imagination of the human race is clearly in the affirmative about the ongoing journey after death.

The mythic consensus is that consciousness continues after death, and does so in many forms and styles; accounts are recorded in the history of religion and poetry and more recently in the annals of psychical research.

No doubt individuals have always had their private views and hunches on the great mystery.
But a crucial turn of events took place in the seventeenth century; the scientific revolution began to overthrow the entire mythical worldview of humanity with its instinctive sense of gods and souls and spirits.

The sky was disrobed of its divinity and turned into meaningless emptiness; according to Leopardi's Story of the Human Race, all the illusions of the imagination were exposed and a great void of meaning settled down triumphantly in their place.

Our consciousness, the new prophets of reductive materialism declared, will vanish with the brain's entropic rot.

Are we really forced into this worm's-eye view of reality?

People generally go along with the stories, rites, and customs for dealing with death that they inherit.
But some break free and think for themselves.

Some are exposed to modern scientific ideas (possessed by the conceits of reductive materialism) and the idea of another world starts to seem unreal.

And yet, our views (apart from fashion) continually change in the face of new and unexpected experiences.
So how we view death and the fate of our consciousness is sometimes based on the kinds and intensities of experience we have.

For example, I am at least open to the idea of something going on after death because of some odd experiences I've had (for an account of some of these, see my Soulmaking [1997] Hampton Roads: Charlottesville, VA.)

A person who has had an unusual experience is likely to be more receptive to the idea of postmortem survival.
Of course, one might have such a vivid encounter, and still in the end dismiss it as some seductive delusion.

Others, on the other hand, may embrace great cosmic schemes on the basis of trivial coincidences.

I have come to form my own view based on my experiences and my own thinking.
My attitude toward this question of life after death is slightly odd.

Three times I had encounters that were clear evidence for something smacking of survival, (including on one occasion being attacked and physically paralyzed by a ghost), and yet I have doubts; I lack robust confidence that I will survive.

Nevertheless, I would insist there are good reasons not to be cowed into premature disbelief.

We can be silent about the dreaded subject or we can discuss and confront it.
Moreover, it seems natural enough to yearn for more life, for infinite life, and there is no reason to suppress, condemn, or feel embarrassed about these yearnings.

Let me explain one reason I resist the idea of survival.
If indeed consciousness is an emergent property of the brain, it's hard to suppose it could go on when the brain dies.

In spite of being acquainted with ghosts and telepathy and precognition, the initial dependence on and emergence from the brain weighs against the idea of survival.

But there is a way to move ahead on this.
It is to drop the assumption that consciousness must be a product of the brain.

Consciousness, after all, is utterly different in kind from anything physical we are acquainted with (barring certain abstract resemblances to quantum states).

If one thinks carefully about it, the idea that consciousness grows out of our brains is more a verbal construct than an intelligible idea.

Does the Brain DETECT OR Transmit Consciousness?

Some scientists and philosophers have indeed argued that consciousness is not produced by the brain; rather, they hold that the brain is more like an organ that detects or transmits consciousness than produces it.

According to this view, consciousness pre-exists and transcends body and brain, although it interacts with them.
The important move is this: if we deny that consciousness is born from the brain, there is no reason to believe it must disappear with the death of the brain. (This is similar to an argument used by Plato in the dialogue Phaedo.)

Now this shift toward the idea that we possess or are constituted by an irreducible mental factor has certain advantages.

One of them William James noticed in his Ingersoll Lecture on Immortality of 1898: we are no longer obliged to try to figure out how the brain could create consciousness.

If it's so hard trying to explain consciousness as an emergent property of brains, it may be because it does not emerge from brains in the first place.

Henri Bergson makes a similar point by suggesting that the mind by its nature continually overflows the boundaries of brain and body.
This hypothesis of the irreducible nature of mind is consistent with the idea of postmortem survival.

As pointed out, if the beginning of consciousness is not essentially tied to the brain, then death of the brain needn't imply death of consciousness.

This way of looking at consciousness as something basic in nature has other advantages.
It is in tune with the great spiritual traditions that posit the primacy of some kind of greater mind.

It also helps explain unusual mental functions like extrasensory perception.
Consider something like telepathy, direct mind-to-mind contact.

According to the view we have touched on, we are already mentally connected, it's just that our minds generally cluttered with sensations and all kinds of distracting thoughts screen us (some would say protect us) from the mental life of others; if through some accident or discipline we could remove the clutter we would "see" things otherwise occluded.

But there is something else.
Our revision provides a basis for a type of experimentation that promises to induce experiences, impressions, and insights into the mystery of life after death.

For this very personal question of life after death, there are things we can do; alter our life style, revise attitudes and values, and adopt specific practices.
Reading about case histories and weighing all the arguments and interpretations are necessary and admirable.

We need to supplement this indirect method by practice.

And we need to experiment with the most fascinating subject we can readily find - ourselves.

Break on Through to the Other Side

Throughout history people have engaged in practices designed to help them "break on through to the other side" (The Doors).

Certain kinds of people are more suited for this kind of venture: edgy, neurotic, strong-willed.
These are the people who practice divination and shamanism; inspired poets, dancers and musicians; prophets and mystics; or ordinary people who find themselves in extraordinary, dangerous, life-threatening situations.

By accident or by deliberate practice, human beings have and continue to have encounters with the transcendent.
In terms of our practical hypothesis, they are either forced by circumstance or choose by discipline to remove the clutter of their ordinary mental life, so as to increase the likelihood of being struck by some form of transcendent lightning.

There is nothing terribly strange about calling for this kind of self-experimentation.

Traditions of the world are full of such practices.
The native peoples of the Americas have always cherished their vision quest in highly individual ways.

In the ancient world there were all sorts of mystery religions, which were group inductions into what Aristotle called pathe, experiences, not episteme, rational cognition.

Like the native Americans, techniques of fasting, dance, chant, manipulation of symbols, etc., were used to induce contact with spirits, gods, and goddesses.

Most famous were the Eleusinian Mysteries that lasted two thousand years in ancient Greece, an annual rite whose most notable effect was to create confidence in the soul's immortality; after a nine day fast, the ingestion of a kykeon or "brew" of beer and psychoactive ergot, the rite culminated in the telesterion: the Goddess Persephone appeared in a blaze of glory.

The experience was transformative as we know from testimonials of various notables, including Cicero and Sophocles and (indirectly) Plato.
Different mystery rites used different gods to induce their encounter with the powers suggestive of immortality.

With the rise of Christianity, a new mystery was invented called the Mass.

As Carl Jung has explained, the Mass is a classic mystery rite in which the divine and immortal powers temporarily become present on the altar and the human becomes one with the God.

And in the ancient world, even philosophy, especially as practiced by Platonists and neo-Platonists, was a kind of mystery rite designed to induce direct awareness of other worlds and higher dimensions of reality.

Modern analytic philosophy would be at the antipodes of ancient philosophy, which was always about radical liberty and self-transformation.

So, for Plato, philosophy was defined as the "practice of death" - in short, detachment of the psyche from the soma.
To "practice death" is to quiet the distracted brain and open oneself to the greater consciousness.

It is certainly an ironical fact that in this age of science and technology that seems to sponsor materialism, medical science is responsible for thousands of paradigm-challenging near-death experiences.

NDEs and the Eleusinian rites have this in common: they produce feelings of confidence about the reality of another world.
The near-death experience has become the equivalent of an ancient Greek mystery rite.

In 2001, the Dutch cardiologist Pim van Lommel published a paper in the Lancet that described about a hundred and fifty cases of cardiac arrest in which individuals reported NDEs.

This publication made headlines around the world.
What is interesting is that these people had any experiences at all.

The mainline view of neuroscience is that to have any conscious experience, certain specific parts of the brain (stem, frontal cortex, etc.) must be functionally interacting.

But the moment the heart stops, blood stops flowing to those brain parts, so they can't function.

Nevertheless, in these cases, not only are there conscious experiences but experiences of an exalted character; brain quits working but consciousness doesn't; on the contrary, it expands and intensifies in cognitive scope and richness of meaning.

The NDE, instead of reflecting materialist views of mind, reflects the traditional view of mind as an independent reality - to be released not annihilated at death.

In a near-death incident, the 'filter' on the full flood of consciousness is ripped away; the famous luminous bliss-drenched experience results.

According to near-death research, deprived of a functioning brain, you may still have profound, conscious experience.
This is an extraordinary scientific discovery.

It would be a mistake to focus on one strand of evidence, however striking.
What the diligent seeker of the mysteries must do is gain a sense of a whole family of pressure points on the belly of reductive materialism.

We began by pointing to the sheer fact of consciousness, which is the basis of everything, and about which we know practically nothing.
But there are specific features of consciousness that are suggestive for our purposes.

Physicist Steven Weinberg, who thinks physics is inching toward a theory of everything, admits he would love to unpack the riddle of memory.

Nobody even knows for sure if memory is even "stored" in the brain no less how.

Memory Puzzles

There are oddities of memory that compound the mystery of consciousness.
A phenomenon only recently being studied is called 'terminal lucidity'.

These are cases widely reported of persons suffering from Alzheimer's or other forms of brain disease unable to recognize even members of their own kin; then, at a time very near death these persons suddenly regain their memories, as if their conscious minds were starting to disengage from their brains in preparation for departure.

Other puzzles about memory involve the stupendous mnemonic feats of some people afflicted-blessed with so-called 'savant-syndrome'.

And let me say that we fail to appreciate the astonishing creative power of the most common dream, in which an individual fashions for himself out of nothing a full-spectrum sensory world that one becomes completely immersed in - surely a phenomenon to give the earnest neuro-fundamentalist a headache.

All these intellectually squishy spots we are palpating have something in common: the phenomena - dreams, terminal lucidity, and the enlarged mental faculties associated with arrested development - all these seem to be related to consciousness being forced back into itself.

We attain to the omnipotence of dream, when (like the mystic) we cast aside reason and sense in sleep.

The omnipotence of memory, whether with savant or near-death experiencer, seems to result from being robbed of the capacity to negotiate the external world.

Again, the 'filter' is debilitated or entirely cast off.

What I'm trying to say is this: Anyone who craves a more inwardly felt conviction not only concerning their survival but the qualitative value of that survival, should head for the green fields of personal experimentation.

It would, however, help to know that behind us stands a mass of human experience that seems to say,

"Yes, we found something - come on!
Do not fear!"

It would be useful to bear in mind the lush variety of tales, stories, and authenticated reports contending or implying that real people survive bodily death.

It seems important there are many forms of experience that seem to reveal different people survived death.
The manifold of breakthroughs seems to fit with the theory that has guided these reflections.

The notion is that we - our individual mind-bodies - are immersed (so to speak) in a sea of consciousness.

The pressure is constant on us, so to speak, and the slightest crack or fissure in our cognitive apparatus will cause a cascade into our consciousness.

There is a well-known case of a man from North Carolina being visited by his father's angry apparition during a series of dreams.
The father proved himself by instructing his son as to the whereabouts of his hidden but final will and testament.

He had hid it in an old Bible, and then died.
The will was found and probated in court; it led to a more fair distribution of the father's estate.

Mr. Chaffin was dead for four years; no one knew the whereabouts of the will he had hidden in the old Bible until an apparition of the dead man revealed it to his living son.

Actually, there is a parallel story about the last missing Cantos of Dante's Divine Comedy.

They were said to be missing until Dante's son received intelligence from a dream of his illustrious father.
Hidden in a secret compartment sequestered in a wall, the manuscript was found.

In general, there are patterns of phenomena that are like words in a language that seems to want to speak to us.
Such patterns cluster around the event of death.

An interesting example would be the psychokinetic events often reported to occur at the moment of somebody's death.

Ernesto Bozzano collected cases of clocks stopping at the moment of death, paintings falling off walls, glassware shattering, pianos playing themselves, and in fact a huge variety of actual occasions.

What appears to be happening is that a psychic factor at the moment of death is released and expresses itself in some meaning-bearing part of the environment.

Again, the idea of death as a transition to enhanced power is indicated.

As I said, the paths to post-mortem consciousness are manifold.

One way is via reincarnation, and here I must mention the massive achievement of Ian Stevenson in collecting case histories all over the world. Thousands of carefully assessed cases - to use Stevenson's word - suggest that memories, likes and dislikes, physical habits and even bodily marks may be identified usually among children no older than eight years old.

Stevenson's work has implications for understanding the depth and complexity of the human personality.
These may shape our lives even if for the most part we are consciously out of touch with them.

The Buddha once said that a person can see all his or her previous lives at the moment of enlightenment.

Discarnate Intelligence

Mediumship is another way that information about other worlds and discarnate intelligence may be obtained.

Mediumship is found in the vicinity of ecstasy and possession.
Mediums generally deploy 'controls', psychic constructs essential to make contact with the subliminal universe.

A striking bit of evidence for life after death came about at the turn of the last century.

The medium was the great Leonora Piper, under the careful investigation of the highly critical Richard Hodgson.

It happened that Piper obtained a new control, called GP (for George Pelham); in life, he happened to be an acquaintance of Hodgson.
The younger man was skeptical about survival, and promised offhandedly that should he die first, he would do his best to prove it to Hodgson.

Soon after he fell off a horse in New York and was killed.

Soon after that he was claiming to be speaking and writing through the body of Leonora Piper (as her new 'control').
Hodgson wrote up the ensuing experiments in painstaking critical detail, and published the five hundred pages in the English Proceedings for Psychical Research.

During "GP's" tenure as control of Piper, "he" received one hundred and fifty people, thirty of whom GP in life personally knew.

The personality that acted through the medium's body behaved in a recognizably consistent manner, always in character and knowledgeable of precisely the thirty persons he knew in life, never confusing anyone he knew in life with any of the remaining strangers at the sittings.

In short, the persona acting through Piper's vocal chords and nervous system acted exactly like the real personality of a deceased person - a very difficult case to dismiss.

So there is some robust evidence for life after death - as well as much that is tantalizing and dubious.
In the meantime, if you are impatient, you can try to launch your consciousness out of this world here and now and not hang on mincing proof, nor care about arguments or degrees of their weightiness.

It might for all we know be very easy to gain an insight into the beginning and the end of consciousness.

"Imagination is Eternity," said William Blake who also said that death was just stepping from one room into another.

It may not be possible to step all the way in, but you may be able to push open the door for a peek.

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote

Trippy meme dump...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hmmmmm?
I would like to read their reports!

Pentagon UFO Research Also Studied Poltergeists,
Invisible Entities, and “Bizarre Creatures”

human-1177413_960_720-640x320.jpg

In years to come, UFO researchers may look back upon the Pentagon revelations over the last year as a turning point in government disclosure.
Of course, it could also likely be that these are a clever smokescreen, a ruse, or a distraction intended to mislead the public as usual.

Whatever the case may be, it seems that the government is taking an interest, at least on paper, in some of the higher mysteries of our physical reality.
A trove of documents obtained by CBS affiliate KLAS-TV in Las Vegas have revealed that the Pentagon’s $22 million UFO program researched not only anomalous aerial phenomenon, but warp engines, dark energies, and exploring other dimensions.

It doesn’t stop there, it seems.
In a page seemingly taken out of The X-Files greatest hits, a spokesperson for one of the Pentagon-funded research programs suggests that the government took an interest in a whole range of paranormal phenomena unrelated to space travel altogether.

The statement was issued by a representative of Bigelow Aerospace Advanced Space Studies (BAASS), a secretive aerospace firm headed by conspiracy-theory-target Robert Bigelow, a recurring figure in UFO and shadowy government research lore.

According to the statement, KLAS-TV reports, the research project touched upon a wide range of mysteries:

The investigations by BAASS provided new lines of evidence showing that the UFO phenomenon was a lot more than nuts and bolts machines that interacted with military aircraft.

The phenomenon also involved a whole panoply of diverse activity that included bizarre creatures, poltergeist activity, invisible entities, orbs of light, animal and human injuries and much more.

The statement also says that BAASS believes “the UFO phenomenon was capable of manipulating and distorting human perception,” and that the human body can serve “as a readout system for dissecting interactions with the UFO phenomenon.”

Placing the word “dissecting” alongside the human body is a bit disconcerting, but macabre wordplay aside, the statement seems to suggest that a wide range of experimental psychological or medical research on human eyewitnesses could have been involved in this project.

Depositphotos_8738398_l-2015-640x396.jpg

Do we really want to know how deep this rabbit hole goes?
After all, it might go nowhere at all. Is this all a distraction intended to discredit the serious study of anomalous aerial phenomena,
or might there be some truth hidden in these reports after all?

I’m currently on the wait list for this book from the library...
Should get here soon.
Anyhow, looks interesting!
Always happy when taboos get broken down.

THE MAINSTREAM GETS A HIT OF DMT ON THE LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERT

ayahuasca-trip-blueberry.jpg

The times, they are most definitely a-changing!

In few areas is this change more palpable, than in how the discussion concerning the incredible potential of psychedelics is now openly moving from alternative sites (like this one) into mainstream media and Television.

Why, an appearance of someone like Terence McKenna on Johnny Carson’s The Tonight Show would have been nothing but a pipe dream – pun intended – but now check this recent interview on Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show on CBS of best-selling author Michael Pollan, whose most recent book How to Change Your Mind led him to personally try a whole variety of mind-altering substances – including 5-MeO DMT, which is the smokable (and far more potent!) cousin of the famous ‘spirit molecule’ entheogen, which can be found on the venomous skin of the Sonoran desert toad.

Pollan did a very good job using the brief time of his air segment in explaining how these self experiments were not just for mere recreational purposes – “this isn’t just taking them and then going to a concert!” – and how with the proper assistance of a therapist or a guide one can use psychedelics to either achieve ‘ego dissolution’ and/or comfront the monsters lurking in the shadows of your subconscious, which can be of tremendous therapeutical value if done correctly.

Colbert had ample oportunity to tease his guest seeing how these experiences are still demonized by the majority of society – not to mention the authorities!

And although Pollan did admit these substances are still largely illegal, it is precisely this kind of positive exposure what will eventually compel citizens to demand that psychedelics become available to anyone who wishes to benefit from their medicinal properties, or simply use them as a tool for the exploration of their own consciousness.

How to Change Your Mind has been just released, and it’s available anywhere where books are sold (quick links: Amazon US and Amazon UK).

Reactions: Free and Ren
It’s not purpose but purposes we are looking for — the multiple sources of meaning that help us find value in our work and lives.
Great article @Skarekrow !!!
*sigh*
It’s just hard when life keeps knocking down the shit you build.
But whoever said it was easy right?
Good reminder anyhow.
;)
Keep at it, and keep smiling ;)

34258958_1764257913620978_5726646725171478528_n.jpg

34034492_2060947627528210_577118848667353088_n.jpg

34500204_1805412969524679_7905630861616218112_n.jpg

34633240_1805200496212593_6215236861825122304_n.png

34092907_1799955756737067_4836687698523586560_n.jpg

33943277_1797984210267555_1677222447490793472_n.jpg

The world is not prepared yet to understand the philosophy of Occult Sciences - let them assure themselves first of all that there are beings in an invisible world, whether 'Spirits' of the dead or Elementals; and that there are hidden powers in man,
which are capable of making a God of him on earth.

-H. P. Blavatsky

33340957_1791065044292805_1416366565091180544_n.png

Coral is a complex marine organism and has a calciferous skeleton. It is sometimes blood red and is vascular in its form.
Therefore in Greek legend it was said to be the petrified blood of the Medusa, and subsequently it was even seen as the blood of Christ.

According to early lapidaries Perseus laid the Gorgon’s severed head by a stream and her
blood it spilled out into the sea where it turned into coral.
As a consequence of the Medusa’s ability to turn mortals into stone her image proliferated in the Roman world.
In architecture her baleful head was used everywhere against the evil eye;
on pediments, frescoes, and, especially on the point of first encounter, the door furniture.
On a more personal level Medusa was worn both as cameos and in jewellery in the hope that she would protect owner from every kind of malevolent influence.
By extension the Medusa’s blood, in reality red coral (properly corallium rubrem), served the same purpose, and its special magic combined with its attractive colour made it a powerful apotropaic (or protective) symbol.

(Did I mention I have a huge stylized Medusa head tattooed on my upper back?)

32256298_1780102412055735_9110795433583575040_n.jpg

A creative person has little power over his own life.
He is not free.
He is captive and drawn by his Daimon.

-Carl G. Jung

31265524_1762815310451112_7974427785202499584_n.jpg

31165962_1759446610787982_8402824225785643008_n.jpg

30530747_1748185271914116_9007572032132481024_n.jpg

29789959_1742817405784236_829756104987639808_n.jpg

26114293_1739773956088581_349568562179664502_n.png

29542971_1735011509898159_7646210396616357588_n.jpg

29597577_1733636746702302_4311369347139211992_n.png

Last edited:

Why some kittens grow up to become serial killers...
Vicious cycle...

34341798_1859399820779057_3146687499988893696_n.jpg

2412608d8924f9ddd9f25c56011ad2a2.jpg

4a53d55846fcc5c54989046e027375de.jpg

26869d56ebfe83295d2d64476779fa0b.jpg

214e0f09bf433ae933dd23601f6c3b5d.jpg

6a85bbd50f9242868e92bbf19f037e70.jpg

bfaed6825b1d647c6d3e4c720fe63579.jpg

1a420cc6c38f73ed8a975376769263df.jpg

Probably not the best idea...
Who is getting the green light to create such things?

Between Boston Dynamics' headless, door-opening cyborg dogs, Omron Automation's empathy chips for robots, and MIT Media Lab's new 'psychopath' AI Norman (named for Norman Bates, the murderer from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho), it looks like we've got everything we need to cobble together a darker, more violent version of I, Robot, or at least another episode of Black Mirror Season 5.

Seriously, listen to this: A team of MIT employees took a normal image-captioning AI (designed to look at pictures and provide a written description of what it sees) and fed it a steady stream of images from an unnamed Reddit board where people exclusively post horrifying, morbid images of murder and death.

Afterward, the team showed this AI (now dubbed Norman) a series of Rorschach inkblots, which are used by psychiatrists and psychoanalysts to judge a patient's mental state.

The team then compared Norman's captions to a normal AI that had not been traumatized with images of death and found a disturbing pattern.

For example, Norman captioned one inkblot "man is murdered by machine gun in broad daylight", while the other AI captioned the same image, "a black and white photo of a baseball glove."

Norman's morbidity plays out again and again in the tests.

A colorful inkblot that looks like "a black and white photo of a red and white umbrella" to the vanilla AI look like "man gets electrocuted while attempting to cross busy street" to Norman.

"A close up of a wedding cake on a table"?

Nope, that's "man killed by speeding driver."

It might seem disingenuous to give an AI like Norman nothing but grisly images for reference and act surprised when it sees nothing but murder everywhere it looks, but this little experiment shows how an AI's machine learning process can internalize biases and end up with warped perceptions of the world.

Luckily for Norman, humans can counter-balance his morbid outlook by taking the Rorschach tests themselves and allowing him to learn from their answers.

Is that the AI equivalent of the brainwashing scene in A Clockwork Orange?
We'll let you decide.

Last edited: