Merkabah | Page 359 | INFJ Forum
I have been thinking a lot about the connections between UFOs or more specifically “aliens” and the paranormal...as there are many similarities that carry over from one to the other.
Is this just a coincidence?
Or is there more to it...maybe they both utilize the same dimensional space?
Or perhaps it’s in the perception of the witness when it’s viewed in the physical sense?

UFOs, Cryptids & Ghosts: Branches of the Same Tree?

alien-ghost.jpg

This article appeared in the January/February 2015 edition of UFO TRUTH Magazine.

Budd Hopkins was there to talk about aliens and I was there to talk about ghosts.
It was the 2003 West Virginia Paranormal Conference in Parkersburg, and we were so intrigued by what the other had to say that we found a quiet corner to talk.

The prominent alien-abduction researcher brought an album full of photos illustrating bruises, scoop marks and other physical traces on the bodies of what he believed were abductees.

“Budd, these marks are exactly what I’ve seen in many poltergeist* cases!” I stated.
We talked about doing some collaborative research, but Hopkins was overtaken by his tragic illness before we could begin.

The questions, however, remain.
Are there connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena within the broader paranormal realm?

Do the labels we place on paranormal experiences and entities depend on the context in which we experience them?
Is there a single “tree” of which all paranormal phenomena are “branches”?

More specifically, why do so many ghost and poltergeist cases – once one thinks to look beyond a single home or family – sometimes involve large areas, many homes and many people?

Why do so many – again, if one thinks to look – turn into UFO cases that often enough involve “grays” and crypts?
Perhaps most importantly: Why does the military seem to take an interest in such areas?

Or is it all just coincidence?

To even ask these questions, never mind answer them, one must somehow get past the mob of assumptions that derive from the modern epistemological paradigm, and which I feel stand squarely in the way of progress in paranormal understanding.

Among these virtually unquestioned assumptions:

● UFOs are nuts-and-bolts craft from other planets.

● Being “advanced” means having more and better technology, as opposed to being advanced morally or spiritually.

● There’s a material world and a spirit world.

● Ghosts are spirits of the dead. But they can walk, talk, dress up, think, remember and drive cars even though they don’t have bodies or brains anymore.

● Nasty spirits are demons and very good theologians because they know all about God and are afraid of holy water.

● Cryptids like Nessie and Yeti are just really good at playing hide-and-seek.

● Paranormal entities, including aliens, have the same motivations we do and can be understood from our own anthropocentric framework of knowledge.

● UFOs, cryptids and ghosts are entirely separate phenomena.

Additional assumptions include:

● Eyewitnesses have bad eyesight.

● The paranormal can be made acceptable to mainstream science.

● Our science and the materialism on which it’s based can fully define reality. Anything “supernatural” must therefore be undiscovered materialistic science.

And the most fundamental assumption of all:

● The Island Theory. Within our bodies and brains, we are totally self-contained life-forms. Few of the assumptions above can be embraced unless we first accept the Island Theory.

I’m not saying that “none of the above” are true.
I’m suggesting that some may be untrue (or at least misinterpreted), others might be partially true, and none are complete explanations for anything.

I first began researching ghosts in 1970 while, believe it or not, studying for the priesthood.
As early as my very first case in the field, involving ultra-bizarre doings at an abandoned and overgrown village in northeast Connecticut, it became disconcertingly obvious, at least to me, that the classical explanations for paranormal events just didn’t do it.

Somehow, the theology, the spiritualism, the fumbling attempts at science, the superstition, and certainly the assumptions, simply weren’t good enough.

Even the “experts” at the time seemed mired in the assumptions.
I was working with Fr. John Nicola, a Jesuit priest who was the technical advisor for the film The Exorcist, and one of the Roman Catholic Church’s leading experts on the subject.

He couldn’t get beyond the theology.
It was all about the devil and demons, with some psychology thrown in beforehand to make sure the victim wasn’t bonkers instead of possessed.

Then there was Dr. Louisa Rhine, the renowned and pioneering parapsychologist at Duke University, with whom I corresponded.
She and her colleagues were straining and sweating to make paranormal phenomena fit the materialist scientific paradigm, the “square peg in the round hole” if ever there was one.

Among my other mentors were the grandparents of modern “ghost hunting,” Ed & Lorraine Warren, now household names because of the 2013 film The Conjuring.

They couldn’t get beyond pop-theology mixed with spiritualism.

Other than some nods toward transpersonal psychology and theoretical physics, most of today’s experts are still married to the same assumptions in their respective fields, and from what I can see they’re still getting nowhere.

By the beginning of the 1980s, I’d run into poltergeists, ghosts of people both living and dead, phantom buildings and vehicles, possession and exorcism, appearing and disappearing animals and people, space/time displacements and, of course, UFOs.

I had worked in psychiatric hospitals as a seminarian and a student in abnormal psychology, and I’d seen what appeared to be psychoses and paranormal phenomena intertwined.

Out went the assumptions and in came the only possible solution I could discern: quantum mechanics.

I emphasize that I’m not a scientist, let alone a theoretical physicist.
My degree is in philosophy, with additional postgraduate work in theology, psychology, history and law.

Nevertheless, philosophy is supposed to teach one to think, and to bring together diverse facts and ideas to discover new facts and ideas, all in the midst of a society whose supposedly great thinkers are wildly overspecialized.

And besides, I wasn’t born yesterday.
I was seeing what I was seeing.

For me, quantum mechanics all pointed to a single explanation: multiple parallel worlds, an open system with relatively free exchanges of energy and, at times, inhabitants.

Couple this with the contention of some physicists, including Hugh Everett and Bryce DeWitt, that this “multiverse” contains all possible possibilities, and the broader idea that all things, past and future included, exist simultaneously, and we have the beginning of a more complete and less naive explanation for the paranormal.

This suggested to me that “ghosts” weren’t dead people but actual people living in parallel worlds that happened to intersect ours at certain times, places and states.

This explained why many ghosts seem afraid of us, thinking we are ghosts haunting them, and why many have such physical characteristics.
“Spirits of the dead,” however, is the only way our two-dimensional modern paradigm can deal with them.

It suggested that “demons,” whose action I’d seen with my own eyes many times over, aren’t servants of Satan but multiversal life forms, “parasites” feeding on the energy of other life forms.

This explains why I have occasional physical encounters with them, why they don’t all respond to exorcisms, and why they leave their victims drained, often with chronic fatigue.

Our folklore explains them as evil spirits, ghouls or even vampires because that’s the best we can do.

Additionally, it suggested that UFOs and aliens might be far more than beings in nuts-and-bolts craft from other planets.
We often scratch our heads about how they can travel such enormous distances.

If they have the ability, technologically or otherwise, to traverse world boundaries to wherever or whenever they want to be, distance doesn’t matter.

As for cryptids coming and going…there we have it – maybe.

It should be made clear that, while most physicists today acknowledge the multiverse idea in some form, not all interpret it the way I do.
But seeing, as they say, is believing, and I don’t know a single theoretical physicist who works in the paranormal “trenches” as I have for nearly 45 years.

So if there are entire regions where world intersects are common or even semi- permanent, it might explain paranormal “flaps” – multiple, seemingly unrelated paranormal events taking place in profusion in the same area.

Several of these areas are legendary.

The “Mothman” affair in the Ohio Valley of the US in the 1960s is associated with the appearance of one or more huge, moth-like or bird-like creatures that terrified local residents.

But as journalist and author John Keel pointed out, there were a great many additional and concurrent phenomena.
These included nightly UFOs seen by hundreds of people, “men in black” and other strange visitors such as the self-styled alien known as Indrid Cold, ghosts, poltergeists, and clairvoyance and heightened psychic abilities among some residents.

Local witnesses I interviewed in the early 2000s, children at the time of the Mothman events, reported the above, along with things like red eyes looking in their windows and something walking heavily on their roofs at night.

More recently, Utah’s “Skinwalker Ranch” situation has come to light, with teams of scientists supposedly witnessing nightly UFOs, things coming through holes in the sky and air, apportations of objects and animals, ultra-bizarre cryptids, alien encounters, poltergeist activity, time slips, ghostly encounters and more.

Since 2005, my son and partner, Ben, and I have been studying other areas where we believe this sort of flap might be taking place.
These include a large section of Litchfield County, Connecticut; Freetown State Forest and the Hockomock Swamp Wildlife Management Area in Massachusetts (the so-called Bridgewater Triangle), and Rendlesham Forest in the UK.

Especially in the minds of UFO researchers, Rendlesham Forest is associated primarily with the reported December 1980 sightings and landings at the twin NATO air bases straddling the forest, RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge.

Looking deeper, however, one finds bizarre events in the area going back to Saxon times.
These include strange lights in the sky and on the ground, cryptids and, yes, downloads of binary codes reported by local witnesses.

While researching the area after dark in September 2012, accompanied by 1980 UFO witness Larry Warren and several local listeners to our radio show, Ben and I had a sort of “alien encounter” before even leaving the parking lot to head toward the famous “East Gate” of the erstwhile Woodbridge air base. Photos from that night revealed odd lights among the trees.

Our most active investigation, now approaching 10 years in process, is the Litchfield County, Connecticut, flap.
This began in 2005 when rural homeowners contacted us after reading my 2002 book Footsteps in the Attic, saying that the multiverse approach was the only thing they felt could explain the outlandish and seemingly unrelated phenomena taking place in their 1793 farmhouse.

By 2009, we found that the entire area was affected.
Other families were reporting ghost and poltergeist activity.

UFOs were being seen by hundreds of witnesses, to the point where the local media got involved.
“Grays” were seen in people’s homes and there were at least two Yeti sightings.

Mass changes in public behavior were reported as well, such as people driving on the wrong side of the road to a degree way beyond the statistical probability.

When this was noticed in local media, the behavior changed, and people reportedly began driving off the road and hitting trees.

As in every other case mentioned here, there seems to be a military component.
In 2009 and 2010, there was substantial military activity in the flap area.

People reported taking walks and being turned back at certain points by armed troops.
Unusual aircraft seemed to join the UFO sightings and continue to do so, including black helicopters.

It all seems to center on an “abandoned” farm along a rural road a few miles from the farmhouse where our involvement began.

In November 2010, Ben and I joined a New York producer and camera crew in the area to make a pilot for a possible television show.
We found no activity at the farm at that point, but the entire property was well kept, and the fields mown.

Since then, there has been substantial vehicular activity, the central farm buildings have been torn down and replaced with a huge, flat metal sheet of several thousand square feet, visible only from the air.

For some reason, the two silos have been left standing and repainted.

The dirt road leading to the farm is sometimes closed, and the unexplained aerial activity continues and includes large, black, double-rotor freight aircraft. We have been unable to obtain any official confirmation that actual military activity was or is taking place, either by regular, National Guard or Reserve forces.

And we have never been allowed to see the footage from the pilot, which produced no subsequent television show.

The question of the multiversal nature of paranormal phenomena aside, why the military activity in flap areas?
We suspect a simple answer: Wouldn’t we just love to weaponize the paranormal?

That’s nothing new.
It’s been going on since at least the Stargate Project in the 1970s, and probably before.

Why would the research be centered in relatively populous areas such as the Ohio Valley; Suffolk, England, or central Connecticut?
Perhaps because the researchers must go where the world intersects are.

So why the manic secrecy and the military muscle in guarding such areas?
Aside from keeping people guessing, throwing them off the scent and simply keeping them out, there might be a more visceral reason.

We live in a world where people long ago came to grips with the Klingons, ET and the Planet of the Apes.
Rather than creating global panic and social collapse, the announcement of alien life, even alien visitors, might very well be greeted with enthusiasm.

But only if that great assumption were confirmed: They come from some far-off planet.

What if they don’t?
Suppose these multiverse ideas are true and the government, or some other powerful entity, knows that our aliens – in every possible form and attitude – come from parallel worlds that are right next to us all the time, that all the demons and monsters of our darkest folklore are real in some form after all.

That would surely be cause for panic and ample cause for secrecy, in my opinion.

Perhaps Ben and I are wrong.
Perhaps everything we’ve described above is as coincidental as it is circumstantial.

Maybe other, far more competent, UFO researchers than ourselves, such as Richard Dolan, Marc D’Antonio and Robert Schroeder, who have approached the multiverse idea in some of their own work, will shed further light on it.

In the meantime, Ben and I, and people like us, will continue to watch from the trenches.

*In parapsychology, a poltergeist (German: “a spirit that rants or thrashes about”) is believed to be produced by the energy from a frustrated human “agent.” The authors believe they are parasitic, ultraterrestrial life-forms.

Copyright 2014 by Paul F. Eno.
All rights reserved

Reactions: Wyote
Sorry I haven’t been here for the past two weeks everyone!
I had to take a break from social media and stuff.

Anyhow, I’m back...(I owe one of you a tarot reading...well, the whole reading).

Hope you are all doing well...hope you are all at peace!
Much love,
M

Almost made it to page 400!
Wow!
Crazy.

Gotta run for a few hours but I will return!

blueflower2.jpg

31265367_10211501225713733_7911395506591367168_n.jpg

32257787_2173268602920874_8283477950897061888_n.jpg

Yummy!
32257646_481066758987519_2430800946637307904_n.jpg

32440503_1838045212914518_3514307967195283456_n.jpg

Truth or BS?
31789652_861138634076201_6305288762515521536_n.jpg

31947655_1774271585972151_6166964650643554304_n.jpg

31939669_1774086042657372_1003596933517803520_n.jpg

31239270_1763542967045013_290776273850990592_n.jpg

"There is no such thing as White Magick or Black Magick.
If you are participating in magick, you are interfering with the natural order of how life would have developed without your hand in it.
You are manipulating reality to suit your own personal needs.
Regardless of whether you perceive it as "positive" or "white light", you are manipulating life.
If you are afraid of this responsibly or are intimidated by this statement, I encourage you to reexamine your belief structure.
Witchcraft requires confidence and courage."

- Dacha Avelin: Old World Witchcraft: Pathway To Effective Magick

31189774_1761427333923243_8050266041382600704_n.jpg

30724298_1760904657308844_7422598562967453696_n.jpg

30728809_1753443954721581_7781738544233447424_n.jpg

30594788_1749058435160133_8220001538307784704_n.jpg

31631917_1836668633052176_6168263289840074752_n.jpg

32207551_1834938729891833_2937631298295955456_n.png

31749449_1827307657321607_6340413907005341696_n.png

29570916_2346140022078318_6971403772505366507_n.png

I saw a veil while walking in the woods once...at least I think I did.
Anyhow...this is crazy story!
Enjoy!

Lunch in a Different Dimension

giphy.gif

The idea that there are similar, or nearly identical realities that exist on a different level than ours,
has thrived in concept as far back as there is history.

Olympus, Asgard, Mag Mell, Annwn, Brahmapura; these places of legend go by many names in many cultures, but they are the same in the fact that they are like our world, but they are not our world.

Science has long embraced the idea of multiple universes, including the Infinite Universe theory in which the universe is so big it can’t help but repeat itself, and the Parallel Universe theory in which multiple universes are formed like a layer cake, each section not interacting with the others unless something happens and bits of the layers touch.

The late great paranormal researcher John Keel (best known for his 1975 book “The Mothman Prophecies”) wrote in his 1970 book, “Strange Creatures from Time and Space,” that he believed there were “window areas” in which the veil between universes was thin and sometimes, just sometimes, people go through.

Paul Colizzo is convinced that in 1995 he was one of those people.

Colizzo lived in Rhode Island and had been to Newport many times.
The city that was home to the America’s Cup yacht race for more than 50 years was only a 45-minute drive away, after all; he’d been there so often he considered himself a “regular.”

One of his favorite places to eat was the Newport Creamery that served everything from buttermilk pancakes, to burgers, to clam rolls to the Awful Awful (an ice cream cocktail of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, strawberry, mint, cotton candy, orange, bubble gum, chocolate mint and mocha. “You Drink 3, You Get The 4th Free!”).

But on a day in 1995, he and his friend Kenny drove to this town of roughly 25,000 people for Kenny’s dental appointment and his world changed.
After Kenny’s appointment, they went out for lunch in this town he knew well, and found something unexpected.

main-pic.jpeg

“I parked my car in a familiar spot and we walked down the famous Americas Cup Avenue to Thames Street,” Colizzo said.

They walked past a Shell service station he was familiar with, but Colizzo was surprised to see a wall slant downward and opened into a street that had escaped him during previous visits.

“I could see the ocean and all the sailboats in it,” he said. “I saw these little wooden stands selling souvenirs. We walked into a business district I’d never seen before loaded with shoppers. Very busy, a two-way street. I can still see the bus stopping.”

impossible.jpeg

There were several restaurants in this newly-found area, but one caught Colizzo’s eye – Newport Creamery. He didn’t know there was another location in town.

“I said to myself, ‘I have never seen this one before’,” he said. “I was also ashamed to say (this) to my friend because … I didn’t want to look like an idiot.”

Colizzo paid for his lunch with cash then sat and looked out the window to take in the area as he ate a cheeseburger combo and a Coke.

“I had a view of the ocean, watching people play Frisbee and walk their dogs,” he said. “It was so amazing I could not wait to tell my wife.”

Everything else was normal.
The restaurant looked like the other location, the food was the same, the people outside were dressed normally and the cars along the street were as they should be.

Excited for the new find, Colizzo picked up his wife from work that night.

“I told her, ‘Wait until you see where I’m taking you Saturday night’.”

Three days later, Colizzo and his wife went to Newport, turned down Americas Cup Avenue to Thames Street and took a right at the Shell station – just as he’d done with Kenny.

But there was no wall that opened to a previously unknown street.

“I did not see the … ocean, just a ball field, and an apartment building, so I drove around for a half hour and gave up.”

He tried to take his wife to the new Newport Creamery twice more that summer.
Then again in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

“In 1999, I walked every street side and road off Americas Cup Avenue and Thames Street, about three hours, I found nothing,” he said.

Colizzo kept trying because he knew what he’d experienced.
That street, that shopping area, and that restaurant were real.

He bought his first computer in 2000 and did a web search for Newport Creamery restaurants in Newport, Rhode Island.
There were two listed; the one he’d been to previously, and one on Bellevue Avenue.

“I said to myself, there is the answer, it is the one on Bellevue Avenue,” Colizzo. said. “That conclusion was satisfactory for me for the years following.”

google.jpeg

It wasn’t until he found Google Streetview that the specter of the missing restaurant appeared again.
He looked up the Newport Creamery on Bellevue Avenue.

It wasn’t the restaurant he’d been to in 1995.
There was no ocean view, no shopping district, nothing familiar.

He thought maybe Google Streetview hadn’t picked up the right angles.

Colizzo went to the Bellevue Avenue Newport Creamery in 2012 and discovered Google had been correct.
This wasn’t the right restaurant.

He finally spoke with Kenny about it.

“He said to me he was also ashamed to say that area was unfamiliar to him as well, that there was something strange about that day.”

Colizzo’s curiosity exploded in 2016.
He began to ask business people in Newport about the 1995 location, but no one knew what he was talking about.

He talked with the Newport city clerk who said there had never been more than the two Newport Creamery restaurants in town – and they’d never moved from another location.

“I told a coworker of mine this story, he worked with engineering maps, and he said to me that he was familiar with Newport. I described my situation the best I could, the wall, the water, he said, I think I know where you are talking about,” Colizzo said. “He pulled it right up on the maps and I can see the satellite view. I said, ‘oh my God, that’s it’.”

photo-1512197454350-3a6500a05ba8.jpeg

Colizzo had found the area he’d once visited and eaten a cheeseburger combo and a Coke.
But there was no business district, no wooden stands selling souvenirs, and no restaurants – especially not the one he remembers.

“There is room there for it, about 100 yards of grass in front of some elevated houses.”

He went to Newport a week later, located the slanted path, and saw where he and Kenny had walked toward the ocean – but it was hidden on the opposite side of the street.

He walked toward the ocean and stood on the ground where the restaurant had been – a place where no restaurant had ever been.

“It appears we entered a vortex and we slung shot around the other side of the avenue where the wall and ocean were on the left,” Colizzo said. “The district we walked into was in another version of Newport, Rhode Island. I have investigated this for 21 years … the story is true. What happened to me? How did this happen? Maybe before 1995, that was my reality and I went through a vortex going back and I am in the other one now and never made it back.”

A good read!

Psychoanalysis and the Occult—Revisited (PDF)

Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation

A recent issue of the psychoanalysis journal IMÁGÓ Budapest (2017, No. 4), edited by Júlia Gyimesi, is entitled “Psychoanalysis and the Occult: Transference, Thought-Transference, Psychical Research.”

Here is the table of contents:

Júlia Gyimesi: Introduction

jc3balia-gyimesi.jpg

Júlia Gyimesi

Renaud Evrard, Claudie Massicotte, Thomas Rabeyron: Freud as a Psychical Researcher: The Impossible Freudian Legacy

Sigmund Freud constantly attempted to distinguish psychoanalysis from occultism by explaining allegedly paranormal phenomena (such as so-called prophetic dreams) as the results of unconscious processes.

His attitude towards the paranormal, however, evolved according to his increasing interest in the possibility of thought transference.

In 1925, he reproduced Gilbert Murray’s experiments associating telepathy and free associations.
Then, he became convinced of the reality of thought transference and shared his conviction in “The Occult Significance of Dreams.”

Yet, Ernest Jones, his biographer and then president of the International Psychoanalytic Association, was reluctant to associate psychoanalysis with psychical research and therefore worked to marginalize Freud’s interest.

This article aims to retrace the context of this rarely discussed text and the experiments that preceded it in order to reexamine their role in ulterior definitions of the Freudian legacy and the association of psychoanalysis with experimental research on telepathic dreams.

sigmund-freud-3.png

Sigmund Freud

gilbert-murray.jpg

Gilbert Murra

Júlia Gyimesi: The Unorthodox Silberer

herbert-silberer.jpg

Herbert Silberer

The aim of the article is to explore the reasons why the theory of symbol-formation turned out to be an important scene of the process of demarcation in psychoanalysis.

The debate on the theory of symbol-formation is illuminated by the examination of the work of the Viennese psychoanalyst, Herbert Silverer.

Silberer’s life-work is an outstanding example of the encounter of psychoanalysis and the so-called occult.
He made a most honest and unique attempt to integrate the “mystical” into the psychoanalytic edifice in a nonreductive but still psychoanalytic way.

The conflicts that emerged due to the integration of the occult by Silberer did not lie between materialistic and spiritualistic worldview.

Rather, they originated in theoretical oppositions.
Today, functional symbolism is what experts refer to most often when discussing the investigations of Silverer.

In fact, his theory on functional symbolism was developed in connection with his experiences in the field of occultism, mysticism, alchemy, etc., and inevitably led to tension between his viewpoint and the basic principles of psychoanalysis.

Silberer’s oeuvre shows that considering occultism and mysticism a valid psychological language could lead to a radically new form of psychology.

Bartholomeu Vieira: Deleuze’s Animal Magnetism as a Theoretical Parallel for the Theory of Psychoanalytic Technique

joseph-p-p-deleuze.png

Joseph P.F. Deleuze

Ferenczi’s studies on the occult both inspired, and made important contributions to, the theory of psychoanalytic technique.

The theory and practice of animal magnetism raises several questions and inspire new approaches that might help psychoanalysts understand how empathy works in the contemporary clinic.

The field of animal magnetism has been seminal in the theoretical development of theories of the unconscious.
It is the purpose of this article to examine the elements within the doctrine of animal magnetism that shed light on the Freudian-Ferenczian affirmation of supposed unconscious communication.

The article will first of all look at the debate between Freud and Ferenczi on the reality of telepathy.
It will then make some brief observations on the subject of magnetism.

Because of the broad scope of this subject, I will narrow the focus of this study to Joseph P. Deleuze’s statements about his methodology.

Csilla Hunya, Péter Aszalós: Telemarketing

The aim of living is to be born again and again and to make one’s essence realized.
According to Moreno and some object-relation and relational psychoanalysis theorists, the self develops itself in relationships, more closely in encounters where two beings meet.

As Moreno pointed out, an integral part of these encounters is tele, a prerequisite of a common creative act.
In this paper we aim to heighten the awareness of the reader of the value of encounters in life, and understand tele by anchoring it with well-known psychoanalytic terms.

In the first part we review some of the relevant literature of psychodramatists and others and connect it conceptually to psychoanalytic terms.

In the second part we look closer to the tele as a process embedded into encounters.
Our emphasis is on how tele contributes to the rebirth of the soul during the encounter and after it.

Reactions: Ren, AUM and Wyote
Some good base info.
Enjoy!

Brain Waves

When you drop a small stone in water, you see waves.
Similarly our heart and our brain have wave patterns.

The wave pattern of the heart is measured by ECG (electro cardiograph).
The brain waves are measured by EEG (electro encephalograph).

Using the brain wave studies, scientists have discovered that our brain waves are of four types.

The brain waves also have peaks that are similar to the peaks we see in water waves.
The number of times the peak appears in one second is called "cycles per second “.
For example, the electricity in India is of 50 cycles per second.

• Beta (13 to 25 cycles per second)
    This brain wave indicates that your conscious mind is in control. It indicates a mental state of logical thought, analysis, and action. You are alert and awake talking, speaking, doing, solving problems, etc.

• Alpha (8 to 12 cycles per second)
    This brain wave indicates relaxation and meditation. It is a state of relaxed alertness good for inspiration, learning facts fast.

• Theta (4 to 8 cycles per second)
    Deep meditation. This is associated with life-like imagination. This is best for suggestibility and inspiration. This brain wave is dominant in children of age 2 to 5.

• Delta (0.5 to 4 cycles per second)
    Deep dreamless sleep. Deep relaxation.

Left brain and right brain working together

Usually the left brain and the right brain waves are independent.
They reach peaks independent of each other.

During meditation and deep relaxation, the left brain waves and the right brain waves happen together.

For both, the peaks are reached together.
This is called synchronization.

Scientists now believe that synchronization makes much greater mind power available.
This is associated with learning large amounts of information very quickly as well as with creativity.

Brain self-control

Scientists had long believed that brain activity such as brain waves and secretion of brain chemicals were beyond conscious control.
But, experiments on Swami Rama of the Himalayas and on biofeedback have now changed that belief.

Now it is proven that some people can control their brain waves, etc.

Brain Activity During Meditation

The brain is an electrochemical organ - using electromagnetic energy to function.
Electrical activity emanating from the brain is displayed in the form of brainwaves.

brain01.gif

There are four categories of these brainwaves.
They range from the high amplitude, low frequency delta to the low amplitude, high frequency beta.

Men, women and children of all ages experience the same characteristic brainwaves.
They are consistent across cultures and country boundaries.

During meditation brain waves alter.

• BETA - 13-30 cycles per second - awaking awareness, extroversion, concentration, logical thinking - active conversation. A debater would be in high beta. A person making a speech, or a teacher, or a talk show host would all be in beta when they are engaged in their work.

• ALPHA - 7-13 cycles per second - relaxation times, non-arousal, meditation, hypnosis

• THETA - 4-7 cycles per second - day dreaming, dreaming, creativity, meditation, paranormal phenomena, out of body experiences, ESP, shamanic journeys.
A person who is driving on a freeway, and discovers that they can’t recall the last five miles, is often in a theta state - induced by the process of freeway driving.

This can also occur in the shower or tub or even while shaving or brushing your hair.
It is a state where tasks become so automatic that you can mentally disengage from them.

The ideation that can take place during the theta state is often free flow and occurs without censorship or guilt.
It is typically a very positive mental state.

• DELTA - 1.5-4 or less cycles per second - deep dreamless sleep
NEWS ARTICLES

• Meditation found to increase brain size

PhysOrg - January 31, 2006

• Meditation Shown to Light Up Brains of Buddhists
    Yahoo - May 2003

Using new scanning techniques, neuroscientists have discovered that certain areas of the brain light up constantly in Buddhists, which indicates positive emotions and good mood.

brain02.jpg

• "We can now hypothesize with some confidence that those apparently happy, calm Buddhist souls one regularly comes across in places such as Dharamsala, India, really are happy," Professor Owen Flanagan, of Duke University in North Carolina, said.
    Dharamsala is the home base of exiled Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama.

The scanning studies by scientists at the University of Wisconsin at Madison showed activity in the left prefrontal lobes of experienced Buddhist practitioners.

The area is linked to positive emotions, self-control and temperament.

Other research by Paul Ekman, of the University of California San Francisco Medical Center, suggests that meditation and mindfulness can tame the amygdala, an area of the brain which is the hub of fear memory.

Ekman discovered that experienced Buddhists were less likely to be shocked, flustered, surprised or as angry as other people.

Flanagan believes that if the findings of the studies can be confirmed they could be of major importance.
    • "The most reasonable hypothesis is that there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," Flanagan said in a report in New Scientist magazine.
  • Meditation mapped in Monks

brain03.jpg
    During meditation, people often feel a sense of no space

March 1, 2002 - BBC

Scientists investigating the effect of the meditative state on Buddhist monk’s brains have found that portions of the organ previously active become quiet, whilst pacified areas become stimulated.

Andrew Newberg, a radiologist at the University of Pennsylvania, US, told BBC World Service’s Discovery programme:
    • "I think we are poised at a wonderful time in our history to be able to explore religion and spirituality in a way which was never thought possible."
    Using a brain imaging technique, Newberg and his team studied a group of Tibetan Buddhist monks as they meditated for approximately one hour.

When they reached a transcendental high, they were asked to pull a kite string to their right, releasing an injection of a radioactive tracer.
    By injecting a tiny amount of radioactive marker into the bloodstream of a deep meditator, the scientists soon saw how the dye moved to active parts of the brain.

Sense of space

Later, once the subjects had finished meditating, the regions were imaged and the meditation state compared with the normal waking state.

The scans provided remarkable clues about what goes on in the brain during meditation.
    • "There was an increase in activity in the front part of the brain, the area that is activated when anyone focuses attention on a particular task," Dr Newberg explained.
    In addition, a notable decrease in activity in the back part of the brain, or parietal lobe, recognized as the area responsible for orientation, reinforced the general suggestion that meditation leads to a lack of spatial awareness.

Dr Newberg explained:
    • "During meditation, people have a loss of the sense of self and frequently experience a sense of no space and time and that was exactly what we saw."
    Prayer power

The complex interaction between different areas of the brain also resembles the pattern of activity that occurs during other so-called spiritual or mystical experiences.

brain04.jpg

Brain Images provide painless study

Dr Newberg’s earlier studies have involved the brain activity of Franciscan nuns during a type of prayer known as "centering".

As the prayer has a verbal element other parts of the brain are used but Dr Newberg also found that they, "activated the attention area of the brain, and diminished activity in the orientation area."

This is not the first time that scientists have investigated spirituality.
    In 1998, the healing benefits of prayer were alluded to when a group of scientists in the US studied how patients with heart conditions experienced fewer complications following periods of "intercessory prayer".

Inner world

And at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston last month, scientists from Stanford University detailed their research into the positive affects that hypnotherapy can have in helping people cope with long-term illnesses.

Scientific study of both the physical world and the inner world of human experiences are, according to Dr Newberg, equally beneficial.
    • "When someone has a mystical experience, they perceive that sense of reality to be far greater and far clearer than our usual everyday sense of reality," he said.
    He added:
    • "Since the sense of spiritual reality is more powerful and clear, perhaps that sense of reality is more accurate than our scientific everyday sense of reality."
  • Areas of the brain activated during meditation
    Tracing the Synapses of Spirituality
    June 17, 2001 - Washington Post

In Philadelphia, a researcher discovers areas of the brain that are activated during meditation.
    At two other universities in San Diego and North Carolina, doctors study how epilepsy and certain hallucinogenic drugs can produce religious epiphanies.

And in Canada, a neuroscientist fits people with magnetized helmets that produce "spiritual" experiences for the secular.

The work is part of a broad new effort by scientists around the world to better understand religious experiences, measure them, and even reproduce them.

Using powerful brain imaging technology, researchers are exploring what mystics call nirvana, and what Christians describe as a state of grace. Scientists are asking whether spirituality can be explained in terms of neural networks, neurotransmitters and brain chemistry.

What creates that transcendental feeling of being one with the universe?
    It could be the decreased activity in the brain’s parietal lobe, which helps regulate the sense of self and physical orientation, research suggests.

How does religion prompt divine feelings of love and compassion?

Possibly because of changes in the frontal lobe, caused by heightened concentration during meditation.
    Why do many people have a profound sense that religion has changed their lives?

Perhaps because spiritual practices activate the temporal lobe, which weights experiences with personal significance.
    • "The brain is set up in such a way as to have spiritual experiences and religious experiences," said Andrew Newberg, a Philadelphia scientist who authored the book "Why God Won’t Go Away."

• "Unless there is a fundamental change in the brain, religion and spirituality will be here for a very long time. The brain is predisposed to having those experiences and that is why so many people believe in God."
    The research may represent the bravest frontier of brain research.
    But depending on your religious beliefs, it may also be the last straw.

For while Newberg and other scientists say they are trying to bridge the gap between science and religion, many believers are offended by the notion that God is a creation of the human brain, rather than the other way around.
    • "It reinforces atheistic assumptions and makes religion appear useless," said Nancey Murphy, a professor of Christian philosophy at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif.

• "If you can explain religious experience purely as a brain phenomenon, you don’t need the assumption of the existence of God."
    Some scientists readily say the research proves there is no such thing as God.

But many others argue that they are religious themselves, and that they are simply trying to understand how our minds produce a sense of spirituality.

Newberg, who was catapulted to center stage of the neuroscience-religion debate by his book and some recent experiments he conducted at the University of Pennsylvania with co-researcher Eugene D’Aquili, says he has a sense of his own spirituality, though he declined to say whether he believed in God because any answer would prompt people to question his agenda. "I’m really not trying to use science to prove that God exists or disprove God exists," he said.

Newberg’s experiment consisted of taking brain scans of Tibetan Buddhist meditators as they sat immersed in contemplation.
    After giving them time to sink into a deep meditative trance, he injected them with a radioactive dye.

Patterns of the dye’s residues in the brain were later converted into images.

Newberg found that certain areas of the brain were altered during deep meditation.
    Predictably, these included areas in the front of the brain that are involved in concentration.

But Newberg also found decreased activity in the parietal lobe, one of the parts of the brain that helps orient a person in three-dimensional space.
    • "When people have spiritual experiences they feel they become one with the universe and lose their sense of self," he said.

• "We think that may be because of what is happening in that area ‚ if you block that area you lose that boundary between the self and the rest of the world. In doing so you ultimately wind up in a universal state."
    Across the country, at the University of California in San Diego, other neuroscientists are studying why religious experiences seem to accompany epileptic seizures in some patients.

At Duke University, psychiatrist Roy Mathew is studying hallucinogenic drugs that can produce mystical experiences and have long been used in certain religious traditions.

Could the flash of wisdom that came over Siddhartha Gautama ‚ the Buddha ‚ have been nothing more than his parietal lobe quieting down?
    Could the voices that Moses and Mohammed heard on remote mountain tops have been just a bunch of firing neurons‚ an illusion?

Could Jesus’s conversations with God have been a mental delusion?

Newberg won’t go so far, but other proponents of the new brain science do.
    Michael Persinger, a professor of neuroscience at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, has been conducting experiments that fit a set of magnets to a helmet-like device.

Persinger
    runs what amounts to a weak electromagnetic signal around the skulls of volunteers.

Four in five people, he said, report a "mystical experience, the feeling that there is a sentient being or entity standing behind or near" them.

Some weep, some feel God has touched them, others become frightened and talk of demons and evil spirits.
    • "That’s in the laboratory," said Persinger. "They know they are in the laboratory. Can you imagine what would happen if that happened late at night in a pew or mosque or synagogue?"
    His research, said Persinger, showed that "religion is a property of the brain, only the brain and has little to do with what’s out there."

Those who believe the new science disproves the existence of God say they are holding up a mirror to society about the destructive power of religion.

They say that religious wars, fanaticism and intolerance spring from dogmatic beliefs that particular gods and faiths are unique, rather than facets of universal brain chemistry.
    • "It’s irrational and dangerous when you see how religiosity affects us," said Matthew Alper, author of "The God Part of the Brain," a book about the neuroscience of belief.

• "During times of prosperity, we are contented. During times of depression, we go to war. When there isn’t enough food to go around, we break into our spiritual tribes and use our gods as justification to kill one another."
    While Persinger and Alper count themselves as atheists, many scientists studying the neurology of belief consider themselves deeply spiritual.

James Austin, a neurologist, began practicing Zen meditation during a visit to Japan.

After years of practice, he found himself having to re-evaluate what his professional background had taught him.
    • "It was decided for me by the experiences I had while meditating," said Austin, author of the book "Zen and the Brain" and now a philosophy scholar at the University of Idaho.

• "Some of them were quickenings, one was a major internal absorption ‚ an intense hyper-awareness, empty endless space that was blacker than black and soundless and vacant of any sense of my physical bodily self. I felt deep bliss. I realized that nothing in my training or experience had prepared me to help me understand what was going on in my brain. It was a wake-up call for a neurologist."
    Austin’s spirituality doesn’t involve a belief in God ‚ it is more in line with practices associated with some streams of Hinduism and Buddhism.

Both emphasize the importance of meditation and its power to make an individual loving and compassionate‚ most Buddhists are disinterested in whether God exists.

But theologians say such practices don’t describe most people’s religiousness in either eastern or western traditions.
    • "When these people talk of religious experience, they are talking of a meditative experience," said John Haught, a professor of theology at Georgetown University.

• "But religion is more than that. It involves commitments and suffering and struggle ‚ it’s not all meditative bliss. It also involves moments when you feel abandoned by God."

• "Religion is visiting widows and orphans," he said. "It is symbolism and myth and story and much richer things. They have isolated one small aspect of religious experience and they are identifying that with the whole of religion."
    Belief and faith, argue believers, are larger than the sum of their brain parts:
    • "The brain is the hardware through which religion is experienced," said Daniel Batson, a University of Kansas psychologist who studies the effect of religion on people.

• "To say the brain produces religion is like saying a piano produces music."
    At the Fuller Theological Seminary’s school of psychology, Warren Brown, a cognitive neuropsychologist, said,
    • "Sitting where I’m sitting and dealing with experts in theology and Christian religious practice, I just look at what these people know about religiousness and think they are not very sophisticated. They are sophisticated neuroscientists, but they are not scholars in the area of what is involved in various forms of religiousness."
    At the heart of the critique of the new brain research is what one theologian at St. Louis University called the "nothing-butism" of some scientists‚ the notion that all phenomena could be understood by reducing them to basic units that could be measured.

And finally, say believers, if God existed and created the universe, wouldn’t it make sense that he would install machinery in our brains that would make it possible to have mystical experiences?
    • "Neuroscientists are taking the viewpoints of physicists of the last century that everything is matter," said Mathew, the Duke psychiatrist.

• "I am open to the possibility that there is more to this than what meets the eye. I don’t believe in the omnipotence of science or that we have a foolproof explanation."
Third Eye - Pineal Gland

brain00.gif

In the physical body the eye views objects upside down.

It sends the image of what it observes to the brain which interprets the image and makes it appear right side-up to us.
But the human body has another physical eye whose function has long been recognized by humanity.

It is called the ’Third Eye’ which in reality is the Pineal Gland. It is long thought to have mystical powers.

Many consider it the Spiritual Third Eye, our Inner Vision.

brain05.jpg

It is located in the geometric center of the brain.
This correlates to the location of the Great Pyramid in the center of the physical planet.

The Pineal Gland is about the size of a pea, and is in the center of the brain in a tiny cave behind and above the pituitary gland which lies a little behind the root of the nose.

It is located directly behind the eyes, attached to the third ventricle.

The true function of this mysterious gland has long been contemplated by philosophers and Spiritual Adepts.
Ancient Greeks believed the pineal gland to be our connection to the Realms of Thought.

Descartes called it the Seat of the Soul.
This gland is activated by Light, and it controls the various biorhythms of the body.

It works in harmony with the hypothalamus gland which directs the body’s thirst, hunger, sexual desire and the biological clock that determines our aging process.

When the pineal gland awakens one feels a pressure at the base of the brain.
This pressure will often be experienced when connecting to higher frequency.

A head injury can also activate the Third Eye - Pineal Gland.

While the physiological function of the pineal gland has been unknown until recent times, mystical traditions and esoteric schools have long known this area in the middle of the brain to be the connecting link between the physical and spiritual worlds.

Considered the most powerful and highest source of ethereal energy available to humans, the pineal gland has always been important in initiating supernatural powers.

Development of psychic talents has been closely associated with this organ of higher vision.

brain06.jpg

The third eye can see beyond the physical as is looks out through the chakra system when we
meditate or look for answers from higher frequencies.

brain07.jpg
The pineal gland contains a complete map of the visual field of the eyes and it plays several significant roles in human functioning.

brain08.gif

There is a pathway from the retinas to the hypothalamus called the retinohypothalamic tract.

It brings information about light and dark cycles to a region of the hypothalamus called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN).

From the SCN, nerve impulses travel via the pineal nerve (sympathetic nervous system) to the pineal gland.
These impulses inhibit the production of melatonin.

When these impulses stop (at night, when light no longer stimulates the hypothalamus), pineal inhibition ceases and melatonin is released.
The pineal gland is therefore a photosensitive organ and an important timekeeper for the human body.

Retinal research done with hamsters demonstrates another center for melatonin production.

Located in the retina, this center implies that the eyes have their own built in circadian timepiece.
This retinal system is distinct from the brains body clock in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN).

Biologists found that they could throw the retinal rhythms out of sync with other circadian cycles.
They also found that they could set and reset the retinal clock even when the SCN was destroyed.

The retinal clock produces (stimulates the production of?) melatonin.
Researchers are now looking for the exact location(s) of this clock in the human eye (and expect to find it).

No one yet knows what the separate clock is for or how it relates to the SCN.

In some lower vertebrates the Epiphysis Cerebri - Pineal Gland - has a well-developed eye-like structure; in others though not organized as an eye, if functions as a light receptor.

In lower vertebrates, the pineal gland has an eye like structure and it functions as a light receptor and is considered by some to be the evolutionary forerunner of the modern eye.

The gland weighs little more than 0.1 gram.
The gland is large in children and begins to shrink with the onset of puberty.

It appears to play a major role in sexual development, hibernation in animals, metabolism, and seasonal breeding.
In humans it affects circadian rhythms, sleep patterns (melatonin levels increase at night), and is implicated in seasonal affective disorder.

The abundant melatonin levels in children is believed to inhibit sexual development.
When puberty arrives, melatonin production is reduced.

The pineal gland secretes melanin during times of relaxation and visualization.
As we are created by electromagnetic energy - and react to EM energy stimuli around us - so does the pineal gland.

When activated, the pineal gland becomes the line of communication with the higher planes.
The crown chakra reaches down until its vortex touches the pineal gland.

Prana
, or pure energy, is received through this energy center in the head.
With Practice the vibration level of the astral body is raised, allowing it to separate from the physical.

To activate the ’third eye’ and perceive higher dimensions, the pineal gland and the pituitary body must vibrate in unison, which is achieved through meditation and/or relaxation.

When a correct relationship is established between personality, operating through the pituitary body, and the soul, operating through the pineal gland, a magnetic field is created.

The negative and positive forces interact and become strong enough to create the ’light in the head.’
With this ’light in the head’ activated, astral projectors can withdraw themselves from the body, carrying the light with them.

Astral travel, and other occult abilities, are closely associated with the development of the ’light in the head ’.
After physical relaxation, concentration upon the pineal gland is achieved by staring at a point in the middle of the forehead.

Without straining the muscles of the eye, this will activate the pineal gland and the ’third eye’.

Beginning with the withdrawal of the senses and the physical consciousness, the consciousness is centered in the region of the pineal gland.
The perceptive faculty and the point of realization are centralized in the area between the middle of the forehead and the pineal gland.

The trick is to visualize, very intently, the subtle body escaping through the trap door of the brain.

A popping sound may occur at the time separation of the astral body in the area of the pineal gland.

Visualization exercises are the first step in directing the energies in our inner systems to activate the ’third eye’.
The magnetic field is created around the pineal gland, by focusing the mind on the midway point between the pineal gland and the pituitary body.

The creative imagination visualizes something, and the thought energy of the mind gives life and direction to this form.

Third eye’ development, imagination, and visualization are important ingredients in many methods to separate from the physical form.
Intuition is also achieved through ’third eye’ development.

Knowledge and memory of the astral plane are not registered in full waking consciousness until the intuition becomes strong enough.
Flashes of intuition come with increasing consistency as the ’third eye’ as activated to a greater degree, through practice.

The pineal gland corresponds with divine thought after being touched by the vibrating light of Kundalini.
Kundalini starts its ascent towards the head center after responding to the vibrations from the ’light in the head.’

The light is located at the top of the sutratma, or ’soul thread’, which passes down from the highest plane of our being into the physical vehicle.

The ’third eye,’ or ’eye of Siva,’ the organ of spiritual vision, is intimately related to karma, as we become more spiritual in the natural course of evolution.

As human beings continue to evolve further out of matter, on the journey from spirit to matter back to spirit, the pineal gland will continue to rise from its state of age-long dormancy, bringing back to humanity astral capacities and spiritual abilities.

At certain brainwave frequencies, a sense of ego boundary vanishes.
In the theta state, we are resting deeply and still conscious, at the threshold of drifting away from or back into conscious awareness.

As the brain enters deeper states, our consciousness is less concerned with the physical state, our ’third eye’ is active, and separation becomes natural.

Many native traditions and mystical practices refer to the ability of ’seeing,’ or being aware of energy fields at higher levels.
This abstract awareness is much more subjective and does not involve the normal level of mundane consciousness, which is mostly concerned with self-identity.

This ’seeing’ refers to the sight of the ’third eye’.

Consciousness is raised from an emotional nature into an illumined awareness when the pineal gland is lifted from dormancy.
If the pineal gland is not yet fully developed, it will be in the course of evolution.

When our sense of ego and personality are set aside and we keep our mental energy intact, we can become conscious of the non-physical, our inner self, the subconscious, through different practices to activate the ’light in the head.’

The Reptilian Brain

The brain stem is the oldest and smallest region in the evolving human brain.
It evolved hundreds of millions of years ago and is more like the entire brain of present-day reptiles.

For this reason, it is often called the ’reptilian brain’.

Various clumps of cells in the brain stem determine the brain’s general level of alertness and regulate the vegetative processes of the body such as breathing and heartbeat.

brain11.jpg
brain12.jpg

It’s similar to the brain possessed by the hardy reptiles that preceded mammals, roughly 200 million years ago.
It’s ’preverbal’, but controls life functions such as autonomic brain, breathing, heart rate and the fight or flight mechanism.

Lacking language, its impulses are instinctual and ritualistic.
It’s concerned with fundamental needs such as survival, physical maintenance, hoarding, dominance, preening and mating.

It is also found in lower life forms such as lizards, crocodiles and birds.
It is at the base of your skull emerging from your spinal column.

The basic ruling emotions of love, hate, fear, lust, and contentment emanate from this first stage of the brain.
Over millions of years of evolution, layers of more sophisticated reasoning have been added upon this foundation.

Our intellectual capacity for complex rational thought which has made us theoretically smarter than the rest of the animal kingdom.

When we are out of control with rage, it is our reptilian brain overriding our rational brain components.
If someone says that they reacted with their heart instead of their head.

What they really mean is that they conceded to their primitive emotions (the reptilian brain based) as opposed to the calculations of the rational part of the brain.

Memory

Memory is one of the activities of the human mind, much studied by cognitive psychology.
It is the capacity to retain an impression of past experiences.

There are multiple types of classifications for memory based on duration, nature and retrieval of perceived items.

The main stages in the formation and retrieval of memory, from an information processing perspective, are:

• Encoding (processing of received information by acquisition)

• Storage (building a permanent record of received information as a result of consolidation)

• Retrieval (calling back the stored information and use it in a suitable way to execute a given task)
A basic and generally accepted classification (depending on the duration of memory retention and the amount of stored information during these stages) identifies three distinct types of memory:

• sensory memory

• short-term memory

• long-term memory
The first stage corresponds approximately to the initial moment that an item is perceived.
Some of this information in the sensory area proceeds to the sensory store, which is referred to as short-term memory.

Sensory memory is characterized by the duration of memory retention from miliseconds to seconds and short-term memory from seconds to minutes. Once the information is stored, it can be retrieved in a period of time, which ranges from days to years and this type of memory is called long-term memory.

The sensory and short-term memory are bio-electrical types of memory, as they store information in form of electrical signals, whereas the long-term memory is a bio-chemical type of memory.

When we are given a seven digit number, we can remember it only for a few seconds and then forget (short term memory).
On the other hand we remember our telephone numbers, since we have stored it in our brain after long periods of consolidation (long term memory).

The definition of working memory, which is erroneously used as a synonym of short-term memory, is based on not only the duration of memory retention but also the way how it is used in daily life activities.

For instance, when we are asked to multiply 45 with 4 in our head, we have to perform a series of simple calculations (addition and multiplications) to give the final answer.

The process of keeping in mind all this information for a short period of time is called working memory.

Another good example is a chess player, who is playing with multiple opponents at the same time and trying to remember the positions of pieces in all games and using this information to make a good move, when required.

Long-term memory can further be classified as declarative (explicit) and procedural (implicit).

• Explicit memory requires conscious recall, in other words the information must be called back consciously when it is required. If this information is about our own lives (what we ate for breakfast in this morning, our birth date etc.), it is called episodic memory, if it concerns our knowledge about the world (capital of France, presidents of US etc.), then it is called semantic memory.

• Implicit memory is not based on the conscious recall of information stored in our brain, but on the habituation or sensitization of learned facts. We perform better in a given task each time we repeat the task, that is we use our implicit memory without necessarily remembering the previous experiences but using the previously learned behaviors unconsciously. For example, classical conditioning is one kind of implicit memory.
Another example is memory resulting from motor learning, which depends upon the cerebellum and basal ganglia.

Articles

Messages From Hypnotic States

As a Certified Hypnotherapist I have placed many clients in a hypnotic state.

During a session clients can bring messages from:

• another entity

• other aspects of themselves

• their unconscious mind

• other dimensions of reality
Messages received through a hypnotic state may not seem valid - but there could be a connection with another aspect of the person’s physical reality.

Some people speak in ’tongues’ when hypnotized.
This is called Polyglot or Xenoglot.

Often people who have had traumatic experiences such as an alien abduction - will go to a hypnotherapist to gain relive them and release pain suffered or to help them understand their spiritual purpose or personal lives.

Message gleamed through past life regression therapy allow the individual - insight into a collective memory and greater understanding of their behavior in this time line.

I have often had this thought...
Or perhaps for one specific future timeline...maybe to fix something fucked up in their DNA?
Unable to reproduce anymore?
Studying our primitive ways?
If all time past, present, and future are all happening at once...then why not?

Aliens: Us From A Future Time?

little-grey-extraterrestial-aliens-animated-gif-image-10.gif

Just about everyone has heard of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), but what about Unidentified Future Objects?

Alien encounters have been reported for decades.
If there is one thing that the aliens are keen to tell us and have us believe, it’s that they originate on other worlds.

But, are they being truthful with us?
Might they really be time-travelers?

In H.G. Wells’ classic novel of 1895, The Time Machine, an adventurous Londoner heads off into a dark future, where he clashes with cave-dwelling monsters, explores ruined cities and witnesses the final moments of life on Earth.

In the 1968 movie, Planet of the Apes, Charlton Heston’s character, Taylor, an American astronaut, arrives on a nightmarish world run by a race of talking apes.

Only at the film’s climax, as he stumbles upon the remains of the Statue of Liberty, does Taylor realize with horror that he has not set foot on some far-off planet, after all.

Rather, he is home, 2,000 years in the future and after a worldwide holocaust has destroyed human civilization.

Then there is Michael J. Fox’s character, Marty McFly, who in the 1985 Hollywood comedy blockbuster, Back to the Future, travels through time to 1955.

On doing so, he almost makes out with his then-teenage mom, comes perilously close to wiping out his own existence as a result of his time-traveling antics, and in single-handed fashion invents rock ‘n’ roll.

And let’s not forget Bruce Willis in 1995’s 12 Monkeys.
At least as far as mega-bucks movies and literary classics are concerned, the theme of time-travel is a spectacularly successful one.

But what of the real world?
Are time-travelers really among us?

Is there a direct connection between the world of time-travel and that of UFOs?

Why is it that our “aliens” conveniently speak our languages?
How is it that, with no trouble at all, they can they breathe our atmosphere?

Why do they abduct us and use us in bizarre genetic experiments?
Surely we are not physically and genetically compatible with creatures from faraway solar-systems?

They assure us that we are indeed compatible.
It all sounds far too convenient and carefully stage-managed.

Maybe that’s because they are not from faraway worlds, after all.
Perhaps, they are from right here, on Earth.

Not our Earth (so to speak), but the Earth of the future; the distant future.
An Earth that is in ruins and at a time when the Human Race is perilously close to extinction.

They travel into their distant past – our present – and engage in clandestine programs to reap DNA, cells, sperm and eggs as a means to try and save what is left of us, thousands of years from now.

Keenly aware of the fact that the people of the 20thand 21st century held deep beliefs with regard to the concept of extraterrestrial life, they chose to adopt the guises of the alien things we believe in, as a means to camouflage their real identities.

Could that be the shocking truth?

time-travel-2910934_640-570x309.jpg

Formerly of the U.S. Air Force, and one of the key military players in the famous UFO encounter at Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England in December 1980, Sergeant Jim Penniston – in 1994 – underwent hypnotic regression, as part of an attempt to try and recall deeply buried data relative to what occurred to him during one of Britain’s closest encounters.

Very interestingly, and while under hypnosis, Penniston stated that our presumed aliens are, in reality, visitors from a far-flung future.

That future, Penniston added, is very dark, in infinitely deep trouble, polluted and where the Human Race is overwhelmingly blighted by reproductive problems.

The answer to those same, massive problems, Penniston was told by the entities he met in the woods, is that they travel into the distant past – to our present day – to secure sperm, eggs and chromosomes, all as part of an effort to try and ensure the continuation of the severely waning Human Race of tomorrow.

“Time travel is not theoretically possible, for if it was they’d already be here telling us about it,” British physicist Professor Stephen Hawking famously said.

And even if time-travel did one day become a possibility, it would be beset by major problems, claimed Hawking: “Suppose it were possible to go off in a rocket ship, and come back before you set off. What would stop you blowing up the rocket on its launch pad, or otherwise preventing you from setting out in the first place?”

Not everyone agrees with Hawking.
One possible way of traveling through time is via what are known in physics as wormholes, a term coined in 1957 by theoretical physicist John Wheeler.

The wormhole is basically a shortcut through both space and time; and although firm evidence for the existence of these so-called “time-tunnels” has not yet been firmly proven, they do not fall outside of the boundaries presented in Einstein’s theory of general relativity.

Then, there is the matter of the sinister Men in Black.
They are perceived by UFO researchers as human-looking alien creatures or government agents, whose secret role it is to silence UFO witnesses, something that history has shown they are very good at.

Maybe, though, the MIB are not the bad guys, after all.
Perhaps they are “time-cops,” working to ensure that UFO witnesses don’t get too close to the truth – namely, the time-travel angle.

After all, just about everything about the MIB is out of time.
They almost always wear 1950s-era black suits.

Their mode of transport – old-time Cadillac cars – is out of time, too.
They have even asked witnesses, on more than a few occasions: “What time is it?”

Maybe they’re actually asking what year they’re in.
Or even which century.

Perhaps, in the distant future, little is known of our time.
Maybe we destroyed ourselves and, as a consequence, the people of the future are tasked with repairing the planet and doing their utmost to save what is left of our species.

Possibly, they have limited knowledge of our culture and even our fashions, apart from what they know from the pages of aging, crumbling old magazines from the 1950s.

So, they adopt the attire they assume will allow them to blend in with the people of the 21st century, when, in reality, it’s the exact opposite.

The MIB stand out like a sore thumb.
Or, like a man out of time.

spiral-2343173_640-570x379.jpg

Paranormal researcher Joshua P. Warren comments on this link between time-travel and the Men in Black: “It could be that the Men in Black follow all this UFO stuff around; that’s their job. Not that they are causing these things to happen, but they’re alerted to it when there’s a dangerous timeline issue that needs to be corrected. They’re not necessarily the bad-guys at all; they might be doing damage control, and maybe that includes warning and silencing witnesses to protect the time-travel secret. They might be weird, and they might look weird, but their overall mission may be just to keep order and protect the timelines.”

Of course, we need to remain grounded on all of this.
So far, there is no definitive proof whatsoever that we have (or have ever had) time-travelers in our midst.

And, there’s no evidence that UFOs are really time-machines.
So, in other words, everything is very much theoretical and speculative – and just about nothing else.

But, it doesn’t hurt to speculate!

Reactions: Free and Ren
Strange creatures....muhahahaha...
Not your average Pokemon.
Enjoy!

The Most Bizarre Mystery Phantoms and Monsters of Japan

Japan has rightly earned itself a reputation as a wellspring of the weird, of that there can be no doubt.
Of special interest here is all of the strange creatures and entities said to inhabit this land, ranging from mysterious monsters, to phantoms, to everything in between.

Many of these odd tales blur the lines of myth, legend, and reality, but all of them are incredibly bizarre facets of a land already brimming with the weird and the unusual.

When talking about strange Japanese cryptids perhaps it makes sense to start with one of the more well-known mystery creatures of the islands.
One of the most famous of the Japanese cryptids is a type of snake known as the Tsuchinoko, also known by a plethora of other regional names such as nozuchi or bachi-hebi (in Northern Honshu), tsuchi-hebi (in Osaka), and many others.

The Tsuchinoko is said to inhabit the deep, remote mountains of Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu islands as well as some parts of the Korean peninsula, and is reported to be around 2 to 3 feet in length, most commonly described as being a mottled black or rust color, and with a bright orange belly in many cases.

The scales are said to be large and prominent, the mouth resembles a grin, and horns or ears above the eyes are often mentioned.
The eyes themselves are usually described as being very large and sometimes as being somewhat mesmerizing.

Perhaps the most unique trademark characteristic of the Tsuchinoko is the shape of the body, which is somewhat flat, bulging and rounded in the middle, and tapering off to a short tail often described as looking like the tail of a rat.

Some reports describe the body as being triangular in the middle rather than round.
It is said to be highly poisonous, with the ability to spit corrosive venom a considerable distance, yet is nevertheless peaceful and more likely to flee from aggressors than attack.

Another odd trait worth mentioning is that they are reported to have a particular odor like that of chestnut tree flowers.

The Tsuchinoko is noted as having some peculiar ways of getting around.
It is reported to move ahead in a straight line, spine undulating up and down as it goes rather than the side to side undulations seen in most other snakes.

The snake is also famous for making spectacular leaps of up to a few meters, often leaping along in one enormous hop after another.
Even more bizarre than this are some stories that describe the Tsuchinoko putting its tail in it mouth and rolling along like a wheel, or even tumbling along end over end.

They are also supposedly good swimmers that are very fond of water.

tsuchinoko-un-animal-real-L-DZu_za.jpeg

Tsuchinoko​

This mystery snake also supposedly exhibits an incredibly wide range of vocalizations.
It has been said to make barks, chirps, snores, grunts, groans, moans, squeaks, snarls, growls, and to even mimic human voices on occasion.

Some old legends claim it could actually remember a rather large vocabulary and even converse with people to some extent.
In fact, the Tsuchinoko was mostly portrayed in folklore as a mischievous creature having a great propensity for telling stories and lies, as well as trying to befuddle and confuse travelers.

The only true way to keep them quiet in their chattering was said to be to ply them with alcohol, which legends say they have a great fondness for.

The Tsuchinoko has been present in Japanese folklore throughout reported history on the islands.
Their likenesses have been found on pottery dating back to the very earliest civilization on the islands, and they are mentioned in the Kojiki(or Hurukotohumi), which dates from 712 and is the oldest known book in existence on ancient Japanese history.

In modern days, the Tsuchinoko is a major fixture in pop culture, appearing in commercials, video games, and on a large range of merchandise ranging from Tsuchinoko-shaped candies to hot water bottles.

Interestingly they are not presented as evil or scary as Westerners might portray a type of snake.
On the contrary, they are almost always made out to be cute, cuddly, benign, and friendly creatures.

So are they just folklore or do they really exist?

The Tsuchinoko has been sighted by a wide range of people right up to the present day, usually deep in the mountains and woods far from civilization. Mikata, in Hyougo prefecture, is quite famous for boasting the highest concentration of sightings of these mystery serpents, and many high profile sightings hail from here.

On May 8th, 2000, 90 year old farmer Sugie Tanaka was out looking for bamboo shoots (a common food in Japan), when she happened across two metallic colored snakes with what she described as “tails like rats.”

In June, 1994, 73 year old Kazuaki Noda was cutting grass with his wife when they came across a huge snake with a thick body like a beer bottle and a head described as being like that of a tortoise.

Other sightings cropped up in the area around the same time.
One such sighting occurred in June, 2000, when 82 year old Mitsuko Arima saw a Tsuchinoko swimming along a river.

She described its eyes as being the most striking feature, saying “I can still see the eyes now. They were big and round and it looked like they were floating on the water.” She added “I’ve lived for over 80 years but I’ve never seen anything like that in my life.”

tutinokohara-header1-570x356.jpg

In response to the persistent sightings, Mikata and indeed many other areas in Japan purported to have Tsuchinoko have offered huge rewards for the capture of one.

The town of Yoshii in Okayama famously offered 20 million yen for one, and many areas hold regular Tsuchinoko hunts, which usually consist of groups of volunteers scouring the wilderness for the snakes or indeed any sign of them.

Mikata, a hotspot which has the highest concentration of Tsuchinoko sightings in all of Japan, holds an annual event to look for the snake in the surrounding wilderness but these expeditions have proved fruitless so far.

In fact to date, there is a complete lack of any physical evidence brought forward at all.
Many of these hunts offer considerable rewards for anyone lucky to find one.

In Itoigawa, Niigata prefecture in 2008, there was a major hunt mounted for the Tsuchinoko.
The reward was a jaw dropping 100 million yen offered for a live Tsuchinoko.

A lot of people criticized it as a mere publicity scam, saying that the city never really thought it would have to pay out.

Despite the lack of results these hunts have produced, there have been several cases of remains being brought forth, although none of them turned out to lead anywhere.

An alleged Tsuchinoko specimen brought in by a mountain villager in turned out to be a rat snake and another turned in by a group of loggers to the Japan Snake Center in Gunma prefecture in 2001 was found to be a common grass snake.

Yet another case involves a live Tsuchinoko which was reportedly captured in the same region in June, 1969 by an M. Tokutake.
He supposedly captured it with a forked stick and kept it for a couple of days before deciding to eat it.

He reported that it had a double backbone, which is a very interesting detail.

There have also been numerous shed skins allegedly from Tsuchinoko brought in and some small villages proudly display these, although they are mostly thought to be from known snakes, likely rat snakes.

Another notable case occurred in May of 2000, when a farmer saw a snake-like creature with a face like a famous Japanese cartoon cat make its way across his field, again in Mikata.

He apparently injured it with a farming implement but it escaped into a nearby stream.
A few days later, a 72 year old woman found the snake’s body lying by the side of the stream and she buried it.

Later, she realized how important the find might be and upon digging the body up sent it to the Kawasaki University of Medical Welfare for examination. I’m not sure exactly what became of the body after that, and details are sketchy from that point.

Mikata is not the only hotbed of Tsuchinoko activity, nor the only area to have claimed the body of one.
In Yoshii, Okayama prefecture, the Tsuchinoko is a regular town attraction that draws tourists from all over with its annual Tsuchinoko hunt and the town boasts its own Tsuchinoko rice cakes and wine.

Another live specimen was reportedly captured in Yoshii on June 6th, 2000.
Apparently it was put on display in a glass box in the city’s visitor center.

I’m not sure what became of it, but it has been widely believed to have been a hoax to drum up publicity for the town and its annual hunts.
These expeditions are big business as they draw in people and tourist yen from all over the country.

According to Naoki Yamaguchi, who has interviewed over 200 eyewitnesses and is author of the book Catching the Illusory Tsuchinoko, these searches don’t do much good in the way they are handled.

He wrote, “The number of sightings from people on these searches is barely one percent of the total.”
Yamaguchi blames this mostly on the search parties’ failure to delve very deep into the wilderness, and cites people who venture deep into the mountains, such as avid hikers, mountain stream fisherman, and loggers as among the types most likely to have a sighting.

tsuchinoko-drawing.jpg

Even with the lack of any hard evidence, the sightings continue.
What could these eyewitnesses be seeing?

One very common argument is that the sightings are of known species of snakes that have just recently fed.
This would give the snake that trademark bulging middle and I can see this as a rational explanation for the Tsuchinoko’s odd appearance at least.

However, one problem I find with this is that the Tsuchinoko is reputedly able to leap several meters, which would be a very unlikely thing for a snake to be able do in the first place, let alone a gorged snake.

In my opinion, none of the types of movement described are very realistic for any known snake in the first place.
Whatever the Tsuchinoko is, it has remained a pervasive cryptid in Japan.

Another supposed serpentine cryptid in Japan originates in the country’s Mt. Tsurugi, located in Tokushima prefecture, which is already pervaded with mysteries such as that it holds lost treasures within its bowels, that it is the site of some subterranean civilization, or even that it is the final resting place of the legendary Lost Ark of the Covenant.

Another feature of the weird on Mt. Tsurugi concerns all of the massive giant snakes that allegedly call this place home, and perhaps one of the best known modern cases of giant snakes in Japan comes from Mt. Tsurugi.

This 6,413 ft peak lies within Tsurugi Quasi- National Park, and is the second highest mountain on the island of Shikoku.
Mt. Tsurugi is highly associated with paranormal phenomena, and legend has it that it is a man made pyramid, with some believing that King Solomon’s treasure is located somewhere beneath it.

Interestingly, this treasure is supposedly guarded by a colossal snake that will kill any who approach.
It may seem as if this is all surely pure myth, but is it?

On May 26, 1973, forestry workers on Mt. Tsurugi came across a snake that was described as being as thick as a telephone pole, with shiny black scales and a white underbelly.

According to the startled workers, 5 meters (around 16.5 feet) of the snake was protruding from thick underbrush, and they estimated that the full length of the animal would have been a whopping 10 meters (33 feet) or more.

The snake was reported to emit a loud chirping noise and piping cry before slithering away into the foliage.
This report caused widespread panic among residents, and some even reported seeing other snakes in the area that were estimated as being 8 meters (26 feet) to 11 meters (36 feet) long.

1200px-Tsurugidake_20100127.jpg

Mt. Tsurugi​

The following month, in June 1973, local officials responded to escalating fears by mounting a large scale expedition to try and find the giant snake or snakes.

Volunteers scoured the mountainside in the vicinity of the sightings, looking for any evidence at all for what people had reported seeing.
They found no snake, but they did discover what appeared to be a track left by the creature.

The long track was 40 cm (around 16 inches) across and led through fallen weeds and flattened brush.
Those who examined the track said it was undoubtedly that of a large snake of some kind.

Bizarrely, a local museum actually claims to have a jawbone measuring 34 cm (13 inches) wide, which is claimed to be from the very same snake.
Critics have pointed out that it is merely the jaws of a shark cleverly arranged to resemble a snake’s jaw.

Another mountain, Mt. Tateiwa, in Gunma prefecture, is also said to be inhabited by giant snakes as well, which are sometimes encountered by hapless hikers and have been reported in the area for centuries.

Is there anything to any of this?
Who knows?

These would not be the only seemingly reptilian mysterious creatures said to lurk in the wilds of Japan, and another rather very well-known and at the same time very peculiar beast is called the Kappa.

The Kappa is one of many types of water imps long featured in Japanese folklore said to inhabit the lakes and rivers of this island nation.
The appearance of the Kappa varies from tradition to tradition and area to area, however they are typically described as being the size of a child of 6 to 10 years of age and resembling a cross between a turtle, monkey, and lizard.

Kappa are often depicted as having a shell on their backs, similar to a turtle’s, having large, webbed hands and feet, and having a beak like mouth which depending on the tradition may or may not contain rows of sharp, shark-like teeth.

Some reports have made mention of patchy, scraggly hair covering the body as well.

One of the most prominent and odd features that is shared throughout all Kappa folklore is the presence of a bowl on the top of the head, which is said to contain a liquid that gives the Kappa its supernatural strength.

When confronted by an angry Kappa, the best way to defeat it is to have it bow, upon which the liquid will spill and weaken it, allowing the typically formidable creature to be defeated.

Indeed, Kappas are most often described as being malevolent entities, with a penchant for mischief and violence.
They are said to molest women as well as harass travelers and challenge passerby to sumo matches.

In the more sinister and darker tales, Kappa are represented as murderous monsters which attack humans, cattle, and horses, pulling them to their deaths below the water and sucking the blood or life force from their bodies to leave a lifeless husk.

It is said that one should not venture to the water’s edge alone lest you be the victim of a Kappa attack.
A rather gruesome detail of these attacks is that it is often mentioned that the creatures have a penchant for sucking a victims entrails out through the anus.

Ouch.

157c9a13070ac6acfe01c3315e9b1abf.jpg

Despite this ferocious and rather unappealing image, Kappa are said to have a benevolent side as well.
For instance, they are said to display a great talent for medicine and particularly bone setting, and it is said if a Kappa is captured it will offer its services to its captor in return for release.

They may also take mercy on travelers that have been injured or are ill and nurse them back to help.
Kappa purportedly abhors metal and loud noises, and love cucumber to the point of obsession.

This craving for cucumber is supposedly so strong that Kappa will do anything to get it, and in the past many residents of supposedly Kappa infested areas would carry cucumber with them in the hopes of bribing the beasts into leaving them alone or even procuring their medical talents.

Although the Kappa has become a very famous fixture within Japanese folklore, it is even considered by many to be a legitimate cryptid due to a good many eyewitness accounts and sightings of actual alleged Kappa that continue into modern times.

Many areas in Japan still produce reports of Kappa frolicking in rivers, and there are even reports of them wandering about far from the water.
These sightings come from witnesses of all ages and levels of society, and often from very credible sources.

For instance there was one sighting in the 1970s made by two police officers who witnessed a hunched over form at the side of a country road during dusk.

Thinking it was a small child perhaps lost or in trouble, the officers slowed down to approach it.
As they drew closer, the form reared up and they could see that it was not a child at all, but rather a child sized creature that was reported as resembling something like a cross between a monkey and a frog, with large, piercing eyes.

The account also mentions that the creature had prominent claws.
The mysterious figure was reported as chattering in a high pitched voice before running briskly on two legs across the road into the brush.

This report is significant since the sighting was made fairly far from water and showcases the creature’s ability to walk quite well on land.

On some occasions, shaky photographic evidence has been brought forward.
Several photographs of alleged Kappa and even video footage have made the rounds over the years, but they are blurry and of generally poor quality.

There has also been sparse physical evidence for Kappa, including footprints, hairs, and even slime allegedly exuded by the creatures.
Some shrines contain the purported mummified hands or even bodies of Kappa, although they have never allowed anyone to analyze these specimens.

Until there are definitive answers and evidence, the Kappa will remain one of the most famous and bizarre of Japanese cryptids.

yokai-kappa.jpg

It seems as though the poor rural villagers of Japan have had more than the impish Kappa to contend with over the ages, as there is a decidedly more fearsome beast that was said to have haunted a secluded community on the side of Mt. Bandai, an active stratovolcano located in the Tohoku area of Fukushima prefecture, Japan.

The mountain is most notable for its eruption in 1888, which killed 477 people, left thousands more homeless, and remains one of the worst volcanic disasters in recent Japanese history.

Long before this tragedy, in the late 1700s, a lesser known but nevertheless frightening incident occurred when a small village at the foot of Mt. Bandai was besieged by a mysterious and deadly creature that suddenly and inexplicably appeared at their doorstep to wreak havoc.

The incident began when villagers started reporting sightings of a strange creature lurking in wilderness along the fringes of town.
This creature was said to look like a large primate of some sort, with a huge mouth, claws, and spiky fur running along its back.

It was most often fleetingly glimpsed in the evening or twilight hours and its eyes were said to glow or reflect light like a cat’s.
The beast was said to furtively stalk around the edges of town and seemed to shun light.

Villagers described how the thing would sit in pools of shadow just outside of the radius of a light source and glower from the darkness with its flickering, shining eyes.

Despite its menacing appearance, at first the creature was easily frightened, and would dart away into the underbrush from sudden light, shouting, or loud noise, but it became increasingly bolder and more frequently spotted as the days went by.

The strange monster was not only seen, but also heard.
Loud, guttural, and clearly inhuman shrieks and howls were often heard at night emanating from somewhere on the dark mountain looming above.

At times the this eerie nighttime howling would last throughout the night, keeping the villagers awake in the grip of terror.
The unnatural shrieks, howls, and sightings of such a sinister creature would have likely been enough to instill fear within such a small and remote rural community, but this was to be just the beginning of the village’s nightmare.

The creature become ever bolder and more aggressive as the days went by.
Where at first it would retreat from noise or light, it started to display more menacing behavior such as growling at eyewitnesses.

Villagers also reported being followed by the thing, which made less and less effort to conceal itself as it stalked them along darkened paths.
The village placed guards with torches around the outskirts of town in an effort to drive away the creature or at least discourage it from coming nearer, but it was was not intimidated.

The plan did nothing to dissuade it and perhaps even angered it.
Several night watchmen described being rushed from the darkness by the creature, and retreating from their positions in terror.

Mount-Bandai.jpg

Mt. Bandai​

At around this time, animals such as pets and livestock were reported to have disappeared without a trace.
One farmer was said to have had every single one of his chickens disappear in a single night with only some scattered feathers left behind.

The animal disappearances continued at an increasing rate, and it did not take long for villagers to connect these vanishings with the odd visitor lurking in the woods.

It was a realization that was confirmed when a farmer claimed to have spotted the mysterious creature killing a dog in a field.
According to the man’s account, the thing had already slain the animal and was in the process of disemboweling it when it was spotted and subsequently dragged its mutilated prey into the trees.

People became wary of traveling outside during twilight hours and at night, yet even staying in their homes was no guarantee of peace.
The creature was often reported circling homes and its deep, gruff breathing was frequently heard right outside of dwellings.

Occasionally it would rap, scratch at, or even pound on doors, windows, and walls almost as if it were testing the structure for ways to enter as the terrified occupants cowered in their homes.

It was also not uncommon for people to hear the thumping of its heavy footsteps across their roofs.
One particularly harrowing account comes from a family of farmers on the very outskirts of town, who had their home actively attacked by the rampaging beast.

In this case, the creature was said to have charged the doors full force while roaring in rage, and the doors rattled in their frames, threatening to cave in. The furious monster also was reported as hurling large stones at the dwelling.

When it failed to gain entry, the beast slunk back off into the woods, leaving the house badly damaged and the petrified occupants no doubt scarred for life.

Image-1396959010.jpg

This still would not be the extent of the bizarre occurrences unfolding around the village.
As time went on, several children disappeared, with some reportedly taken directly from their own homes.

The creature was even purportedly seen kidnapping children and dragging them screaming into the night as helpless villagers looked on in horror.
Attacks on adults began to occur as well, and although the creature was not successful in killing any of them, some villagers were bitten, mauled, or at the very least left badly shaken.

One village man described how the creature came so close to him during an attack that he could smell its breath, which was described as smelling of rotten eggs and fish.

He was only able to escape after allegedly poking the thing in its eyes.

It was at this time that the villagers took more decisive action, and hired a well-known hunter to track and kill the beast that was terrorizing them.
The hunter bravely trekked out into the surrounding wilderness in an effort to both kill the thing and draw it away from the village.

During the hunt, the hunter described how the creature stalked him and circled his camp menacingly on several occasions.
After a few days of tracking the creature, the hunter allegedly finally managed to shoot and kill it in 1782 after it tried to rush from the forest and attack him.

It was reported to be so fierce that the bullet did not bring it down and the hunter had had to resort to repeatedly stabbing the thrashing beast with a knife to kill it.

film_fest_uncle_boonmee-570x457.jpg

The hunter then dragged the body back to the village to display to the shocked villagers.
The carcass was purportedly a somewhat ape-like creature that was 1.5 meters tall, covered in hair, and with a large mouth filled with fangs that was so oversized that it was described as being as if the head was split from ear to ear.

Along its back were spines reminiscent of those of a porcupine.
The creature also had a long, sharp nose and short limbs with webbed hands that ended in wicked claws.

The carcass was reported to exude an extremely rank, overpowering odor, which unfortunately led to the body being discarded not long after.
With the death of this baffling monster, the sightings, attacks, kidnappings and animal disappearances all ceased.

This case has always fascinated me and remains one of the weirder ones I have come across.
What is going on here?

The creature matches no description of any Japanese cryptid that I know of seen before or since these events.
With the descriptions from eyewitness accounts as well as those given by the hunter and indeed a body allegedly provided, there seems to be little chance that it was a more mundane animal that was simply misidentified.

There is nothing living in the Japanese wilderness really anywhere close to what this thing is said to look like.
In addition, the sightings and disappearances started abruptly, with no apparent prior history of such a creature ever being seen on the mountain, and ended just as abruptly with its reported death, suggesting just a single creature at work.

Whatever it was also seemed to have targeted just one village, and to top it off nothing like it has been reported from the area since.
The case remains a complete, head scratching mystery.

Unfortunately, considering that these events unfolded way back in the late 1700s and that the alleged carcass of the creature was not preserved or examined by any sort of scientist, it seems that the mysterious Beast of Bandai will forever remain an enigma.

If none of this is strange enough for you, then how about the tales of bizarre human-faced dogs that have been said to prowl the dark places of Japan? The beast known as the Jinmenken, roughly translated as “the human faced dog,” is typically said to be about the size of a medium sized dog, often with matted or dirty looking hair.

From a distance, an observer may mistake one for just an ordinary mangy stray dog, yet on closer inspection see that these dogs possess a human face. The eyes are often deep set and sad, and the tail is most commonly between the legs in an apparent gesture of passiveness or cowardice.

An even more shocking revelation than the human face is their purported ability to speak.
Typically, a Jinkenmen will implore those who come across it to leave it alone, but on rare occasions will hold simple conversations.

1094793781.jpg

Jinkenmen are persistent in Japanese folkore, yet there seems to be more to them than that.
Throughout the Edo Era, from 1603 to 1868, these human-faced dogs were often encountered and sighted by locals, to the point that they were occasionally featured in the news publications of the time.

In addition to the sightings, Jinkenmen were at times allegedly exhibited at misemono, which were a type of Japanese carnival sideshow popular during the Edo Era.

These sideshows were somewhat of a cabinet of curiosities, typically featuring menageries of exotic animals, mounted displays or mummified remains of bizarre creatures or monsters, gaffes, mystical artifacts, and all manner of the strange and bizarre.

Taxidermy specimens of Jinkenmen were often seen on display at such shows and on occasion even live specimens were shown.
In such shows, the Jinkenmen would be paraded about for all to see and became quite popular attractions.

It is not clear whether these were actual Jinkenmen or regular dogs somehow altered to look like such through illusion and trickery, yet the fact remains that there are numerous accounts of these exhibitions and they were certainly observed by many people.

It was not only commoners that marveled at these creatures in such sideshows either.
One publication of the time included the testimony of a visiting zoologist, who remarked upon laying his eyes upon one such specimen (translated from the Japanese):

There cowering and whimpering in the corner of the display booth I saw the hunched over form of what I first took to be a typical shiba inu, although of a somewhat more pungent odor.

Then the thing looked up with sad eyes and I could see clearly that it was the face of a human being, albeit with the empty, soulless gaze of an animal.
I immediately assumed trickery upon seeing such an aberration, yet if one had forged such a horrific sight then they had done so with such ingenuity and craftsmanship that I was unable to ascertain it as such.

If this was some sort of macabre taxidermy of a living thing, then it was done without any visible indication of such.
I could see no apparent stitches or artificial connection between human face and dog.

I was eager to be on my way from such a ghastly abomination and the thing’s gaze left me with a deep unease long after I had left.

99779f7308a6094d3bfe71f4ca3815e40b09330f.jpg

It is interesting to note the deep feeling of unease the zoologist experienced.
Premonitions of dread or feelings of deep despair are common occurrences in those who see Jinkenmen.

Reports of Jinkenmen hypnotizing onlookers or inducing urges to get away are also not uncommon in accounts.
Additionally, Jinkenmen are often considered to be portents of doom or disaster.

Sightings of Jinkenmen are not merely confined to the rural Japan of the Edo Era.
Eyewitness accounts of Jinkenmen sightings persist right up to the modern day.

There are many reports of eyewitnesses describing coming across what they first take to be dog, only to have it turn around to display its human face. Other reports showcase the Jinkenmen’s apparent great speed as they are described as running playfully alongside cars on darkened roads, sometimes screaming or whooping as they do so.

These sightings occur mostly at night in rural areas, yet this is not always the case.

During the 1980s, a human faced dog was often sighted rummaging through garbage in the back alleys of Tokyo’s Shibuya District, which is a well-developed, bustling urban shopping area.

Other sightings have been reported from other urban areas behind crowded restaurants, in alleyways, or in the darkened parking lots of apartment buildings.

What do we make of these reports?
As detached from reality as the notion of human-faced dogs may seem, theories abound as to what could be behind the sightings and stories.

These theories range from the somewhat plausible to the downright absurd, such as that it is a misidentified macaque monkey, hallucinations, or an alien or escaped genetic experiment.

It is unlikely that we will ever know for sure, but the tales continue.

Just as bizarre as the tales of human faced dogs are reports of something perhaps even more paranormal and frightening in nature.
One strange phantom that seems to have been spun from the Internet but has also been tied to supposed historical accounts came to the public consciousness in 2003, when several Japanese websites featured reports of a very strange entity indeed.

The posts were written as first-hand sightings accounts of a specter or demon of some sort referred to as the Kunekune, which is a Japanese onomatopoeia that literally translates to “twist,” “writhe,” or “wiggle.”

The creature itself is described as being a long, slender humanoid shape, pale white in color, although it is sometimes reported as being black, and which writhes, wiggles, and shimmers similar to a piece of fabric tossed about by the wind, even if there is no wind, hence its name.

The typical account goes that the Kunekune is spotted in the distance of a rural place, usually over an open expanse such as a field or the sea.
The story goes that a person will notice the strange figure and wonder what it is, drawing closer to get a better look.

This is said to be a mistake, because the closer one gets, and the more detail that is seen of the being’s features, the stranger things get.
If the victim is lucky, it will merely drive them insane, usually after making eye contact, but the Kunekune is also said to be not above flat out killing those who get too close to it or make direct contact with it.

Since no one has lived or kept their sanity long enough to describe its face, its appearance remains unknown.
It is said that the best thing to do is just simply ignore the Kunekune and it will go away.

img39e4d40azik0zj.jpeg

Several spooky accounts of run-ins with the Kunekune appeared on the Internet in quick succession by frightened witnesses.
One of the first reports to appear was that of a man claiming to have had an encounter with the Kunekune when he was a child.

The man, let’s call him Taro, reported that he and his brother had gone to the countryside of the Akita region, in northern Japan.
After they arrived they went out to explore the rice fields and open areas, enjoying being out of the big city from which they had come.

The day was described as being hot and windless, and at some point Taro noticed that his brother was gazing off into the distance as if studying something on the horizon or lost in thought.

When asked what was wrong, the brother said that he could make out something strange in the distance.
When Taro peered out over the vast expanses of the many rice fields of the area, he claimed that he could just barely make out something moving in the distance.

It appeared to be a stationary, human-sized white squiggle of some sort flapping about wildly, which was odd considering the area was deserted and there was no wind that day.

Taro at first thought it might be a scarecrow, but scarecrows didn’t move like that, especially with no wind.
Neither did it appear to be a sheet or piece of clothing.

Curious and wondering what in the world it was, the two boys ran home to retrieve binoculars in order to get a closer look.
The brother went first, but when he put the binoculars to his eyes his face reportedly went slack and his color pale, after which he turned to Taro with a look of abject horror on his face.

The brother broke out into a sweat and dropped the binoculars to the ground as he repeated “There it is… There it is… There it is…” over and over again in a strange voice that did not seem to be his own.

He then began to stalk back to the house without a word or explanation of what was going on or what he had seen through those binoculars, which were still upon the ground.

Taro reported that he had picked them up, and even though the strange figure continued to wiggle and flap in the distance he was too afraid to look through them, instead trudging back to the house to see what was going on.

Shadow-man_1.jpg

When Taro got to the house he found everyone crying as they watched his brother roll about on the floor laughing and giggling with mad abandon like a lunatic.

The frightened parents decided to leave the grandparents’ house and take them back home, with the brother laughing and writhing about in the back seat to the point that he had to be tied down.

Eerily, his face was plastered with a wide grin yet his eyes were crying.
At some point on the way home, their father stopped the car, took the binoculars, and smashed them upon the ground before continuing on.

Similar stories came in from around Japan with others coming forward with their own tales.
Another early report of the Kunekune comes from a man who claimed that when he was a boy lived in a rural coastal village in Chiba prefecture.

One day he and his uncle were walking along the sea shore the boy saw something long and white waving about out over the waves in the distance and he asked his uncle what it was.

When the uncle looked he froze in his tracks and went wide-eyed and pale before telling his nephew to run for his life.
The boy ran, but the uncle was unable to stop staring off into the distance, unable to tear his eyes away from whatever had him under its dark spell.

The boy reached his house and told his grandfather about what had happened, who went pale himself and replied that it was the work of the Kunekune and that his son had been lucky to get away from it.

When they went back to retrieve the uncle the man was still glued there to the same spot, mindlessly gazing out at the thing in the distance.
They were able to physically pry the uncle away but he reportedly suffered from fits of madness from then on, spending the rest of his life in and out of mental institutions.

Stories such as these started to make the rounds on a variety of Japanese websites, with more and more people reporting experiences that were similar in nature, always involving a mysterious writhing white humanoid in the distance that could cause madness or even death if viewed too carefully or closely.

Those who told these tales insisted that this was a phenomenon that had been going on in certain rural areas for centuries, but oddly it was not until these Internet reports that most had had ever heard of the Kunekune.

It is certainly not a traditional yōkai (a Japanese spirit or boogeyman), and as a matter of fact I live in Japan and have never met anyone who knows what a Kunekune is. Is this perhaps a localized tale only known in some parts of Japan or is it something new?

It is hard to tell if this is a phenomenon with a historical basis or if it was born on the Internet with those original reports, quite likely fictitious.
The origins of the tale of the Kunekune remain vague, but it is certainly creepy nonetheless.

In the end, Japan certainly seems to have its fair share of strange denizens of the dark, and here we can find all manner of truly bizarre creatures that seem to inhabit the intersection of lines between ghost, legend, and real entity.

Many of these tales may seem surreal, absurd even, but here they still remain, just as confusing and evasive as they always have.

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote
Amazing pictures of x-ray crystallography diffraction!
The incredible geometry...the sacred geometry of nature is brilliant!
These are images of the very structure of atoms themselves...the shape of the most basic building blocks of us and everything else.
The sacred geometry contained within is truly beautiful and intensely complex!
Again...these are the actual structures made by nature or something we don’t understand yet.
Enjoy!

e7e7acb0bf61773a344776bf433faa18.jpg

060cb74c98efa70672516fab41f8838b.jpg

ec5ca58c06d6364c902914be69b4864d.jpg

5821d72ac355c15eee9e84b595284345.jpg

1f653a953003ac9866b051e8ee767abd.jpg

1b571af4903941141114b7ffd57d64c2.jpg

fbed09396ef9d26f6a9f92ccb466eb17.jpg

92c68401b2cb43a37448c24b4ecc73ba.jpg

de0cc369ab814486cab3db9314b83906--sacred-geometry.jpg

Slide-1.jpg

bsc.jpeg

HaliteLaue[001]bs.png

And now similar amazing images produced through sound waves!
Incredible.

345a323cacf4d083835bf2a0337c8be7.jpg

viiibes.jpg

1504280_713445068688591_607612320_o.jpg

cymatics-1980x0-c-default.jpg

67389298e7023db82a58a1e68bcbc1d2--fractal-geometry-sacred-geometry.jpg

cymatics1.jpg

sound-waves.jpg

9eaa4293d39fdcb619c3bc4573512b39.jpg

ebb0b366c93d0bf2c52a62346893f2c3.jpg

97yQ.gif

tumblr_n7dy3r3Lv61tqtn0mo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

csb29Mi.gif

tumblr_p1hdgjknZ51u4knsco1_500.gif

ocultismo-gif-blog-desmontando-a-babylon-wordpress.gif

98ebb4ea7f87e5004b0b0433b2b7634a.gif

73b2c1b5cd54e7bb71e6b94a652cb92c.gif

Quite the compilation!
Enjoy!

50 YEARS OF REINCARNATION AND NDE RESEARCH AT
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA

The following video, recently posted on UVA Medical Center Hour Youtube channel, has an hour-long presentation and Q&A session summarizing 50 years of research into the reincarnation and NDE — the survival of consciousness question.

Reincarnation research at UVA started with Dr. Ian Stevenson who started studying it in 1967 and established the Division of Perceptual Studies at UVA, to study these phenomena.

Presenters in this video are Jim B. Tucker, Bruce Greyson, Edward F. Kelly and J. Kim Penberthy.

If you’re looking for a level-minded presentation that summarizes this research, from leading scientists in this field, look no further.

942705_112356908973115_810550950_n.jpg

Thoughts?

by Stephanie Marohn with Malidoma Patrice Somé

Excerpted from,

The Natural Medicine Guide to Schizophrenia,

or The Natural Medicine Guide to Bi-polar Disorder,

pages 178-189, Stephanie Marohn

(featuring Malidoma Patrice Somé).

The Shamanic View of Mental Illness

In the shamanic view, mental illness signals "the birth of a healer," explains Malidoma Patrice Somé.

Thus, mental disorders are spiritual emergencies, spiritual crises, and need to be regarded as such to aid the healer in being born.
What those in the West view as mental illness, the Dagara people regard as "good news from the other world."

The person going through the crisis has been chosen as a medium for a message to the community that needs to be communicated from the spirit realm.

"Mental disorder, behavioral disorder of all kinds, signal the fact that two obviously incompatible energies have merged into the same field," says Dr. Somé.

These disturbances result when the person does not get assistance in dealing with the presence of the energy from the spirit realm.
One of the things Dr. Somé encountered when he first came to the United States in 1980 for graduate study was how this country deals with mental illness.

When a fellow student was sent to a mental institute due to "nervous depression," Dr. Somé went to visit him.

"I was so shocked. That was the first time I was brought face to face with what is done here to people exhibiting the same symptoms I've seen in my village."

What struck Dr. Somé was that the attention given to such symptoms was based on pathology, on the idea that the condition is something that needs to stop.

This was in complete opposition to the way his culture views such a situation.

As he looked around the stark ward at the patients, some in straitjackets, some zoned out on medications, others screaming, he observed to himself,

"So this is how the healers who are attempting to be born are treated in this culture. What a loss! What a loss that a person who is finally being aligned with a power from the other world is just being wasted."

Another way to say this, which may make more sense to the Western mind, is that we in the West are not trained in how to deal or even taught to acknowledge the existence of psychic phenomena, the spiritual world.

In fact, psychic abilities are denigrated.

When energies from the spiritual world emerge in a Western psyche, that individual is completely unequipped to integrate them or even recognize what is happening.

The result can be terrifying.
Without the proper context for and assistance in dealing with the breakthrough from another level of reality, for all practical purposes, the person is insane.

Heavy dosing with anti-psychotic drugs compounds the problem and prevents the integration that could lead to soul development and growth in the individual who has received these energies.

On the mental ward, Dr Somé saw a lot of "beings" hanging around the patients, "entities" that are invisible to most people but that shamans and psychics are able to see.

"They were causing the crisis in these people," he says.

It appeared to him that these beings were trying to get the medications and their effects out of the bodies of the people the beings were trying to merge with, and were increasing the patients' pain in the process.

"The beings were acting almost like some kind of excavator in the energy field of people. They were really fierce about that. The people they were doing that to were just screaming and yelling," he said.

He couldn't stay in that environment and had to leave.

In the Dagara tradition, the community helps the person reconcile the energies of both worlds,

"the world of the spirit that he or she is merged with, and the village and community."

That person is able then to serve as a bridge between the worlds and help the living with information and healing they need.

Thus, the spiritual crisis ends with the birth of another healer.

"The other world's relationship with our world is one of sponsorship," Dr. Somé explains.

"More often than not, the knowledge and skills that arise from this kind of merger are a knowledge or a skill that is provided directly from the other world."

The beings who were increasing the pain of the inmates on the mental hospital ward were actually attempting to merge with the inmates in order to get messages through to this world.

The people they had chosen to merge with were getting no assistance in learning how to be a bridge between the worlds and the beings' attempts to merge were thwarted.

The result was the sustaining of the initial disorder of energy and the aborting of the birth of a healer.

"The Western culture has consistently ignored the birth of the healer," states Dr. Somé.

"Consequently, there will be a tendency from the other world to keep trying as many people as possible in an attempt to get somebody's attention. They have to try harder."

The spirits are drawn to people whose senses have not been anesthetized.

"The sensitivity is pretty much read as an invitation to come in," he notes.

Those who develop so-called mental disorders are those who are sensitive, which is viewed in Western culture as oversensitivity.
Indigenous cultures don't see it that way and, as a result, sensitive people don't experience themselves as overly sensitive.

In the West,

"it is the overload of the culture they're in that is just wrecking them," observes Dr. Somé.

The frenetic pace, the bombardment of the senses, and the violent energy that characterize Western culture can overwhelm sensitive people.

Schizophrenia and Foreign Energy

With schizophrenia, there is a special,

"receptivity to a flow of images and information, which cannot be controlled," stated Dr. Somé.

"When this kind of rush occurs at a time that is not personally chosen, and particularly when it comes with images that are scary and contradictory, the person goes into a frenzy."

What is required in this situation is first to separate the person's energy from the extraneous foreign energies, by using shamanic practice (what is known as a "sweep") to clear the latter out of the individual's aura.

With the clearing of their energy field, the person no longer picks up a flood of information and so no longer has a reason to be scared and disturbed, explains Dr. Somé.

Then it is possible to help the person align with the energy of the spirit being attempting to come through from the other world and give birth to the healer.

The blockage of that emergence is what creates problems.

"The energy of the healer is a high-voltage energy," he observes.

"When it is blocked, it just burns up the person. It's like a short-circuit. Fuses are blowing. This is why it can be really scary, and I understand why this culture prefers to confine these people. Here they are yelling and screaming, and they're put into a straitjacket. That's a sad image."

Again, the shamanic approach is to work on aligning the energies so there is no blockage, "fuses" aren't blowing, and the person can become the healer they are meant to be.

It needs to be noted at this point, however, that not all of the spirit beings that enter a person's energetic field are there for the purposes of promoting healing.

There are negative energies as well, which are undesirable presences in the aura.
In those cases, the shamanic approach is to remove them from the aura, rather than work to align the discordant energies

Alex: Crazy in the USA, Healer in Africa

To test his belief that the shamanic view of mental illness holds true in the Western world as well as in indigenous cultures, Dr. Somé took a mental patient back to Africa with him, to his village.

"I was prompted by my own curiosity to find out whether there's truth in the universality that mental illness could be connected with an alignment with a being from another world," says Dr. Somé.

Alex was an 18-year-old American who had suffered a psychotic break when he was 14.

He had hallucinations, was suicidal, and went through cycles of dangerously severe depression.
He was in a mental hospital and had been given a lot of drugs, but nothing was helping.

"The parents had done everything - unsuccessfully," says Dr. Somé. "They didn't know what else to do."

With their permission, Dr. Somé took their son to Africa.

"After eight months there, Alex had become quite normal, Dr. Somé reports.

He was even able to participate with healers in the business of healing; sitting with them all day long and helping them, assisting them in what they were doing with their clients... He spent about four years in my village."

Alex stayed by choice, not because he needed more healing.

He felt,

"much safer in the village than in America."

chaman24_02.jpg

To bring his energy and that of the being from the spiritual realm into alignment, Alex went through a shamanic ritual designed for that purpose, although it was slightly different from the one used with the Dagara people.

"He wasn't born in the village, so something else applied. But the result was similar, even though the ritual was not literally the same," explains Dr. Somé.

The fact that aligning the energy worked to heal Alex demonstrated to Dr. Somé that the connection between other beings and mental illness is indeed universal.

After the ritual, Alex began to share the messages that the spirit being had for this world.

Unfortunately, the people he was talking to didn't speak English (Dr. Somé was away at that point).
The whole experience led, however, to Alex's going to college to study psychology.

He returned to the United States after four years because,

"he discovered that all the things that he needed to do had been done, and he could then move on with his life."

The last that Dr. Somé heard was that Alex was in graduate school in psychology at Harvard.
No one had thought he would ever be able to complete undergraduate studies, much less get an advanced degree.

Dr. Somé sums up what Alex's mental illness was all about:

"He was reaching out. It was an emergency call. His job and his purpose was to be a healer. He said no one was paying attention to that."

After seeing how well the shamanic approach worked for Alex, Dr. Somé concluded that spirit beings are just as much an issue in the West as in his community in Africa.

Yet the question still remains, the answer to this problem must be found here, instead of having to go all the way overseas to seek the answer.

There has to be a way in which a little bit of attention beyond the pathology of this whole experience leads to the possibility of coming up with the proper ritual to help people.

Longing for Spiritual Connection

A common thread that Dr. Somé has noticed in "mental" disorders in the West is,

"a very ancient ancestral energy that has been placed in stasis, that finally is coming out in the person."

His job then is to trace it back, to go back in time to discover what that spirit is.
In most cases, the spirit is connected to nature, especially with mountains or big rivers, he says.

In the case of mountains, as an example to explain the phenomenon,

"it's a spirit of the mountain that is walking side by side with the person and, as a result, creating a time-space distortion that is affecting the person caught in it."

What is needed is a merger or alignment of the two energies,

"so the person and the mountain spirit become one."

Again, the shaman conducts a specific ritual to bring about this alignment.

Dr. Somé believes that he encounters this situation so often in the United States because,

"most of the fabric of this country is made up of the energy of the machine, and the result of that is the disconnection and the severing of the past. You can run from the past, but you can't hide from it."

The ancestral spirit of the natural world comes visiting.

"It's not so much what the spirit wants as it is what the person wants," he says. "The spirit sees in us a call for something grand, something that will make life meaningful, and so the spirit is responding to that."

That call, which we don't even know we are making, reflects,

"a strong longing for a profound connection, a connection that transcends materialism and possession of things and moves into a tangible cosmic dimension. Most of this longing is unconscious, but for spirits, conscious or unconscious doesn't make any difference."

They respond to either.

As part of the ritual to merge the mountain and human energy, those who are receiving the "mountain energy" are sent to a mountain area of their choice, where they pick up a stone that calls to them.

They bring that stone back for the rest of the ritual and then keep it as a companion; some even carry it around with them.

"The presence of the stone does a lot in tuning the perceptive ability of the person," notes Dr. Somé.

"They receive all kinds of information that they can make use of, so it's like they get some tangible guidance from the other world as to how to live their life."

When it is the "river energy," those being called go to the river and, after speaking to the river spirit, find a water stone to bring back for the same kind of ritual as with the mountain spirit.

"People think something extraordinary must be done in an extraordinary situation like this," he says.

That's not usually the case.
Sometimes it is as simple as carrying a stone.

A Sacred Ritual Approach to Mental Illness

One of the gifts a shaman can bring to the Western world is to help people rediscover ritual, which is so sadly lacking.

"The abandonment of ritual can be devastating. From the spiritual view, ritual is inevitable and necessary if one is to live," Dr. Somé writes in Ritual: Power, Healing, and Community.

"To say that ritual is needed in the industrialized world is an understatement. We have seen in my own people that it is probably impossible to live a sane life without it."

Dr. Somé did not feel that the rituals from his traditional village could simply be transferred to the West, so over his years of shamanic work here, he has designed rituals that meet the very different needs of this culture.

Although the rituals change according to the individual or the group involved, he finds that there is a need for certain rituals in general.

One of these involves helping people discover that their distress is coming from the fact that they are,

"called by beings from the other world to cooperate with them in doing healing work."

Ritual allows them to move out of the distress and accept that calling.

Another ritual need relates to initiation.
In indigenous cultures all over the world, young people are initiated into adulthood when they reach a certain age.

The lack of such initiation in the West is part of the crisis that people are in here, says Dr. Somé.

He urges communities to bring together,

"the creative juices of people who have had this kind of experience, in an attempt to come up with some kind of an alternative ritual that would at least begin to put a dent in this kind of crisis."

Another ritual that repeatedly speaks to the needs of those coming to him for help entails making a bonfire, and then putting into the bonfire,

"items that are symbolic of issues carried inside the individuals... It might be the issues of anger and frustration against an ancestor who has left a legacy of murder and enslavement or anything, things that the descendant has to live with," he explains.

"If these are approached as things that are blocking the human imagination, the person's life purpose, and even the person's view of life as something that can improve, then it makes sense to begin thinking in terms of how to turn that blockage into a roadway that can lead to something more creative and more fulfilling."

The example of issues with an ancestors touches on rituals designed by Dr. Somé that address a serious dysfunction in Western society and in the process "trigger enlightenment" in participants.

These are ancestral rituals, and the dysfunction they are aimed at is the mass turning-of-the-back on ancestors.

Some of the spirits trying to come through, as described earlier, may be,

"ancestors who want to merge with a descendant in an attempt to heal what they weren't able to do while in their physical body."

"Unless the relationship between the living and the dead is in balance, chaos ensues," he says.

"The Dagara believe that, if such an imbalance exists, it is the duty of the living to heal their ancestors. If these ancestors are not healed, their sick energy will haunt the souls and psyches of those who are responsible for helping them."

The rituals focus on healing the relationship with our ancestors, both specific issues of an individual ancestor and the larger cultural issues contained in our past.

Dr. Somé has seen extraordinary healing occur at these rituals.

Taking a sacred ritual approach to mental illness rather than regarding the person as a pathological case gives the person affected - and indeed the community at large - the opportunity to begin looking at it from that vantage point too, which leads to,

"a whole plethora of opportunities and ritual initiative that can be very, very beneficial to everyone present," states. Dr. Somé.

Thoughts?

People with mental illnesses have windows to things that few have access to. I think it's a shame that with the creation of modern medicine there has sort of been a stigma created for people with mental illnesses. It's a fascinating thing, we should absolutely use modern medicine to help people, but we should also be mindful of what these things give to people, a totally unique life experience. It is something to be celebrated in a way, definitely not denigrated. Some cultures are better at this mindset than others.

Could some "mental illnesses" be windows to sixth sense types of things? Sure! But we should be very apprehensive of that being the case, while being open to it and also traveling the road of curing the parts that make their life more of a struggle and supporting the things that may be helpful.

People with mental illnesses have windows to things that few have access to. I think it's a shame that with the creation of modern medicine there has sort of been a stigma created for people with mental illnesses. It's a fascinating thing, we should absolutely use modern medicine to help people, but we should also be mindful of what these things give to people, a totally unique life experience. It is something to be celebrated in a way, definitely not denigrated. Some cultures are better at this mindset than others.

Could some "mental illnesses" be windows to sixth sense types of things? Sure! But we should be very apprehensive of that being the case, while being open to it and also traveling the road of curing the parts that make their life more of a struggle and supporting the things that may be helpful.

Yes...western medicine is particularly bad at illnesses be it of the body or the mind, and the belief that it’s all physically created and nothing could possibly have anything to do with that person’s energetic state or damage or sensitivity to those things we deem “spiritual” because they cannot create a working model for mental illness really since they don’t even know how consciousness arises in the first place (from a reductionist materialist standpoint).
We here in the US are especially bad at taking care of and trying to understand such people.
We would rather lock them up or heavily medicate them, than letting such people (provided they can function and care for themselves and are not a risk or harm to themselves or others) live a life that we have possibly stigmatized as “wrong”, just like the shock treatment they would give homosexuals in the 1960s and prior...western medicine has a very different view of such things now.
They are moving in the right direction but will never fully get there without accepting there are some things that can be accepted that can still be inexplicable.
Hope you are good?

Recent reading material to add to the list!
So far, so good.
Enjoy!

The Intention Experiment:
Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World

By Lynne McTaggart

328887.jpg

Drawing on the findings of leading scientists from around the world,
The Intention Experiment demonstrates that thought is a thing that affects other things.

Using cutting-edge research conducted at Princeton, MIT, Stanford, and many other prestigious universities and laboratories,
The Intention Experiment reveals that the universe is connected by a vast quantum energy field.

Thought generates its own palpable energy, which you can use to improve your life and,
when harnessed together with an interconnected group, to change the world.

In The Intention Experiment, internationally bestselling author Lynne McTaggart takes you on a gripping,
mind-blowing journey to the furthest reaches of consciousness.

As she narrates the exciting developments in the science of intention, she also profiles the colorful scientists and renowned pioneers who study the effects of focused group intention on scientifically quantifiable targets -- animal, plant, and human.

McTaggart offers a practical program to get in touch with your own thoughts,
to increase the activity and strength of your intentions, and to begin achieving real change in your life.

You are then invited to participate in an unprecedented experiment:
Using The Intention Experiment website to coordinate your involvement and track results,
you and other participants around the world will focus your power of intention on specific targets,
giving you the opportunity to become a part of scientific history.
A new Afterword by the author recounts the successes of the several Intention Experiments so far.

The Intention Experiment forces you to rethink what it is to be human.
It proves that we're connected to everyone and everything --
and that discovery demands that we pay better attention to our thoughts, intentions, and actions.

Here's how you can.

Last edited:
Consciousness As Seer

giphy.gif

by Sreeram Manoj Kumar

The differentiation of the seer (the one who sees)

and the objects seen is called viveka.

What is seen and who is the seer?

If the eye is the seer the objects around is the seen.

Similarly, to the mind, the eye is seer and the sense organ of vision is the seen.
For true consciousness, which is the seer, the mind becomes the seen.

The true consciousness is the ultimate seer which experiences without the help of other entity, this true consciousness alone is the witness.
A lamp doesn't need another lamp to prove its presence.

In darkness a beam of light is required for us to know if a person exists, but we need no light to know our own presence.

Consciousness is self-aware of its existence.
But this true consciousness has a reflected consciousness which is ego that is projected due to the reflecting medium called the mind.

The mind is a subtle form of energy that has no consciousness of its own but acts as a conscious entity due to ego.

This ego is limited consciousness and acts as the observer, knower and the experienced.
Identification of the reflected consciousness with the world and getting attached to the likes and dislikes of it is called samsara.

The only way to overcome ego is to shun doer-ship.

The ego is the "i" ness present in mind where thoughts, feelings and experiences circle.
Once this reflected consciousness is withdrawn from the mind and merged with the true consciousness - then the non attachment to the body and the mind is achieved.

We require a proficient guru and uninterrupted sadhana to know which this reflected consciousness is.

The king announced a reward of 1,000 gold coins for anyone who found the diamond necklace that his daughter lost.
A beggar was walking along a polluted river.

He saw a spark in the river and when he looked close he saw the diamond necklace.
He decided to try and fetch it so that he could get the reward.

He put his hand in the filthy river to grab the necklace, but somehow could not get it.
He took his hand out and looked again and the necklace was still there.

He tried again.
But strangely, he still missed the necklace!

He came out and started walking away, feeling depressed.
Then again, he saw the necklace, right there.

This time he was determined to get it.

He decided to plunge into the river.
Although it was disgusting, he plunged in and searched everywhere for the necklace.

Just then, a sadhu who was walking by saw him, and asked him what the matter was.
The beggar didn't want to share anything with the sadhu, thinking he might take the necklace and get the reward.

Being compassionate, the sadhu again asked the beggar to tell him the problem and promised that he would not tell anyone.
The beggar gathered some courage and decided to put some faith in the sadhu.

He told him about the necklace and how he tried and tried to get it, but kept failing.

The sadhu then told him that perhaps he should try looking upward, toward the branches of the tree, instead of in the filthy river.
The beggar looked up and was surprised to see the necklace dangling on the branch of a tree.

He had been trying to capture a mere reflection of the real necklace all the time.