Merkabah | Page 296 | INFJ Forum
3_3.png

3_4.png

3_5.png

3_6.png

4_1.png

4_2.png

Inspiration
This comic was inspired by this three-part series on the backfire effect from the You Are Not So Smart Podcast.
If you want to learn more about the backfire effect and other related behaviors (confirmation bias, deductive reasoning, etc),
I highly recommend listening to the whole thing:
Podcast Part 1 - Podcast Part 2 - Podcast Part 3

Hm, it's a good point and it would most definitely be a good thing if more people adopted it. However the fact that it comes from that writer annoys me. The reason I stopped reading his comics was due to his unwillingness to look at other points of views that were not his own. Now this was a years ago and a person can change but it still irks me that he sees himself as some sort of transcendent being who listens...and then changes.

He reminds me of another internet comic artist who ended up becoming rich and successful and then completely lost sight of what it was that made him that way. Like I said it's been years since I last read his stuff, but that conceited ending left a stale taste in my mouth. Still, the message is a good one, even if I have trouble with where it comes from.

Hm, it's a good point and it would most definitely be a good thing if more people adopted it. However the fact that it comes from that writer annoys me. The reason I stopped reading his comics was due to his unwillingness to look at other points of views that were not his own. Now this was a years ago and a person can change but it still irks me that he sees himself as some sort of transcendent being who listens...and then changes.

He reminds me of another internet comic artist who ended up becoming rich and successful and then completely lost sight of what it was that made him that way. Like I said it's been years since I last read his stuff, but that conceited ending left a stale taste in my mouth. Still, the message is a good one, even if I have trouble with where it comes from.

Well, maybe he has grown up a bit.
Maybe not...despite the source, like you said, it’s a good message.
I don’t claim to post things on this thread that are 100% true or to your personal liking Sir.
;)
They are articles which challenge one to think outside of the box...or just shit I like.
Anyhow...I’ve made a note to run any comics past you for prior approval.
For all I know, the guy is a huge raging prick...lol...your story is awesome.

Reactions: Tin Man
Well, maybe he has grown up a bit.
Maybe not...despite the source, like you said, it’s a good message.
I don’t claim to post things on this thread that are 100% true or to your personal liking Sir.
;)
They are articles which challenge one to think outside of the box...or just shit I like.
Anyhow...I’ve made a note to run any comics past you for prior approval.
For all I know, the guy is a huge raging prick...lol...your story is awesome.

Hehe, I know. I just assumed you needed my validation on your posts. The fact you don't ask for it more often does frustrate me. I can't even comprehend how the first thought to enter your mind after posting isn't "Would this be up to tin man's standards?" :p

Hehe, I know. I just assumed you needed my validation on your posts. The fact you don't ask for it more often does frustrate me. I can't even comprehend how the first thought to enter your mind after posting isn't "Would this be up to tin man's standards?" :p

That is a mighty high standard to hit man...you gotta cut me some slack...we all can’t be inTjs you know.

That is a mighty high standard to hit man...you gotta cut me some slack...we all can’t be inTjs you know.

Sadly true, but you could at least try.

04328d921f81aac8691073b2a70e2faa.jpg

Reactions: Skarekrow
Reactions: Skarekrow
Hm, they forgot a few.

- Masturbate
- Watch anime
- Masturbate to anime

And they say we all can’t find common ground...

Reactions: Sandie33
18341785_1466686383375244_6645417904820165415_n.jpg

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote

Reactions: Wyote
Is Magic Real?
Yes It Is… And It Can Radically Change Your Life

BY JASON LOUV

is-magic-real.jpg

Is magic real? Yes it—here’s what magic, or “magick,” truly is, why it’s the world’s most misunderstood spiritual path, and how it can radically,
profoundly and positively change your life!

Is magic real?
That’s a question that I asked myself many years ago, when I was a young man.

I wanted to know so bad, that I ended up spending two decades searching for an answer.
And amazingly enough, it turns out that yes—magic is real.

So real that I decided to dedicate myself to studying, mastering, and practicing it, because I discovered that it was the key to life itself.

Magic is also a topic that’s easily misunderstood, and that so easily gives the wrong impression—immediately conjuring images of goofballs in black robes hanging out at the local mall’s food court, or silly New Age nonsense.

Is magic real?
Yes, but it has nothing to do with any of these things.

It’s sacred, deep, and truly profound.

Magic—or, as it is properly called, Magick, the art and science of causing change in conformity with will—is, in my opinion, one of the great gems of Western culture.

It’s the tradition that some of the great geniuses of Western history—including the originators of science—were involved in: Francis Bacon, Daniel Dafoe, William Butler Yeats, Dr. John Dee, Giordiano Bruno, Pythagoras and many, many others, whether remembered by history or not.

So is magic real?
It’s certainly been real enough to shape history, and be a subject of fascination for some of the greatest people in history.

“Magick” is the long-running sacred tradition of the West, in the same way that esoteric yoga or Tibetan Buddhism are sacred traditions in the East.

Practically speaking, it’s the path of enacting your spiritual growth ritually, in the day-to-day world, because that’s what tends to be healthy for people in Western cultures.

magick-introduction-3.jpg

Dropping out of life and sitting up on a mountain top meditating for the rest of your life is, by-and-large, an Eastern path.
It’s an outgrowth of Asian culture and a path that can work remarkably well in the cultural context of Hinduism or Buddhism.

But people living in America, the UK, Europe or other “Western” locales by and large do not live in a culture that supports that. (Just try it!)
We live in a culture that forces action in the world, where the path to independence, self-reliance and happiness tends to rely on rolling up your sleeves and getting stuff done in the real world.

While the Western tradition incorporates a lot of meditation, it isn’t a path that allows escape from reality.
It’s the path of directly confronting reality, the circumstances of your life, and using those circumstances as the raw material for your spiritual growth.

Consider the legend of alchemy, in which the practitioner is spoken of as having the “magic” power of transmuting lead into gold—or even, in some versions, turning shit into gold.

This is what it’s about—taking lead, which represents mundane, boring existence, and turning it into gold.
Taking the shit that you’re given, and turning it into gold.

Taking the raw matter of existence and making something incredible out of it.

The Western sacred tradition has been an underground tradition for most of the last two millennia because of persecution by the Catholic Church and other religious institutions (despite, ironically, the fact that many of its adherents were historically seeking direct communion with Christ, perhaps a threat to the priesthood’s monopoly).

It has snaked its way through our history and manifested under various names and at various times as Gnosticism, Catharism, witchcraft, alchemy, Qabalah, Enochian, Freemasonry, Rosicrucianism, the Golden Dawn, Thelema, Chaos and many other forms.

The Western tradition is often given the blanket name “Magick.”
This is unfortunate in some ways, because it conjures up fanciful ideas of “magic powers” (not the point), and immediately makes people associate the Mysterium Tremendum with the following things which are bullshit:

Tacky Satanic nonsense; New Agers making silly claims; people into magic mainly as a way to accumulate jewelry and flashy clothes to one-up other outsiders; people into magic to collect books or art (see reason above); people telling you “heyyy man you don’t have to do it the hard way” despite never having done it the hard way; people using spirituality to advance a personal, cultural, financial or political agenda; religious or cult servitude; servitude to evil spirits; being into that one band that uses occult imagery; people who think they can “put spells” on other people; people who take a lot of drugs and conclude that they are special; creepy swingers who lure impressionable undergraduates into their mildewy dens of suburban sin with the promise of “real power!!!1”

kenneth-anger-demon-brother-marjorie-cameron.jpg

Magick has nothing to do with any of this.

It does have to do with:

Hard work, perseverance, study, discipline, self-sacrifice, years and years of painful trial-and-error learning, humility, constant adaptation and evolution, devotion to your own integrity, learning to let go.

There are no hard and fast rules on how to do that—and the details are different for every single individual.
But there are guidelines and practices that help.

Broadly, you live a magical life by:
  1. Disciplining your body, mind and spirit;

2. Figuring out what you’re here for—your unique purpose for existing (note that this is a continuum, and evolves over time);

3. Using the discipline developed in Step 1 to accomplish Step 2, understanding that when you Do your True Will, or engage in your reason for existing, life makes a whole lot more sense.
It’s not necessarily easier, but it’s infused with meaning, a major accomplishment in a world where people drift through seas of endless meaninglessness.

Is magic real?
Yes it is, if you actually practice it, and have the discipline to make it real!

chaos-magick-beltane.jpg

The best way to find out is to discover the answer for yourself.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote
4th Dimension -
Tesseract, 4th Dimension Made Easy -
Carl Sagan

Last edited:

The Zipf Mystery

weird-space-585x306.png

Do Not Look for Profundities!
Taking The Anomalies For What They Are

In the preface to his compendium Science Frontiers: Some and Curiosities of Nature, physicist William R. Corliss offered some very simple advice to his readers: do not look for profundities!

This odd statement deserves some elaboration.
First, as a writer with a personal interest in the scientific-side of “weirdness” (to which, I will firmly assert, much actual science can, and should be applied!), William R. Corliss would have been a sort of “giant among men” for the detailed attention he gave to the study of what he called “anomalistics”.

I say “would have been,” only because for Corliss, to place anything on a pedestal above the rest in the ranks of nature would seem unnecessary, and hence, it is my guess that Corliss might have played down the significance of his own role in the study of the unusual, though arguably, he was among the most science-minded researchers to ever dip his toe into the darkened pools of the unexplained.

Hence why, from time to time, I enjoy highlighting the later Mr. Corliss in my blogs and other writing, since his work in the area of Forteana, though not forgotten, remains somewhat obscure by today’s standards.

In keeping with that general modesty that Corliss echoed in his collected works, there came that unique phrase which we have already entertained once in the present missive: do not look for profundities! Here, in its full context, is the complete quote from Corliss, as it appeared in his preface:

The primary intent of this book is entertainment.
Do not look for profundities!

All I claim here is an edited collection of naturally occurring anomalies and curiosities that I have winnowed mainly from scientific journals and magazines published between 1976 and 1993.

With this eclectic sampling I hope to demonstrate that nature is amusing, beguiling, sometimes bizarre, and, most important, liberating.
“Liberating?” Yes!

If there is anything profound between these covers, it is the influence of anomalies on the stability of stifling scientific paradigms.

This idea that anomalies have a unique influence on “the stability of stifling scientific paradigms” seems key, for often in the past, the irreverent or unusual “anomaly” observed by some slightly less dogmatic theoretician proves to be a new key in understanding the nature of things; and hence, a paradigm shift often occurs thereafter, if the observed anomaly presents enough cause for a broader re-shaping of our ideas.

William R. Corliss, Master of Anomalies (also known for having kept a low-profile of non-profundity).

For those who have not read Corliss’s work, I highly recommend it, in that same spirit of those who find amusement, enjoyment, and perhaps a bit of appreciation for the broad-mindedness that the study of anomalies promotes.

As time has worn on, I do feel my skepticism has hardened (greatly, in fact), and in ways conducive to critical thinking that I don’t always see among my colleagues; people can change, with time, and I know that I have, and once upon a time, I think I may have been more open (or even susceptible) to the allure and mystique of the mysterious… mistaking the merely unusual for being one of those “profundities” Corliss warned about.

None of this is to say that there is anything wrong with accepting the occasional marvels provided by those things which don’t quite fit into the broader narrative, as it relates to the unexplained.

I think that, if anything, the true anomalies, like anachronistic marvels of ancient times (the Antikythera Mechanism, for instance), and unusual phenomena in the areas of geophysics (to which, with little doubt, at least a healthy number of UFO sightings over the years can be attributed), are indeed fascinating.

Further, anyone who would say that the study of such unique areas of science wouldn’t yield things that, perhaps, might even be startling in their upset, as far as “shifting paradigms” go, would be a bit off, in my opinion.

Corliss, despite his level approach to the subject, seemed to share this general sentiment, expressing that with the advent of electronic communications over the course of his most active years of data collecting, the case for extant anomalistics seemed as good as ever:

“In today’s electronic milieu, anomalies travel from computer screen to computer screen, by E-mail, and by fax.
What an immense untapped resource for the Catalog of Anomalies!
From all this, I am certain that nature is even more anomalous than the following pages intimate.”

Profound or not, what Corliss helped us see is that there is much to nature we have yet to discover, and much more that we can hope to learn from the study of the unusual.

Currently reading "The Super Natural”.
It’s by Whitley Strieber of “Communion” fame.
And co-writen by and religious studies professor.
Very interesting....I have to say I’m throughly enjoying it so far.

4155QrcU6-L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Two of today's maverick authors on anomalous experience present a perception-altering and intellectually thrilling analysis of why the paranormal is real, but radically different from what is conventionallyunderstood.

Whitley Strieber (Communion) and Jeffrey J. Kripal (J. Newton Rayzor professor of religion at Rice University) team up on this unprecedented and intellectually vibrant new framing of inexplicable events and experiences.

Rather than merely document the anomalous, these authors--one the man who popularized alien abduction and the other a renowned scholar and "renegade advocate for including the paranormal in religious studies" (The New York Times)--deliver a fast-paced and exhilarating study of why the supernatural is neither fantasy nor fiction but a vital and authentic aspect of life.

Their suggestion?
That all kinds of "impossible" things, from extra-dimensional beings to bilocation to bumps in the night, are not impossible at all: rather, they are a part of our natural world.

But this natural world is immeasurably more weird, more wonderful, and probably more populated than we have so far imagined with our current categories and cultures, which are what really make these things seem "impossible."

The Super Natural considers that the natural world is actually a "super natural world"--and all we have to do to see this is to change the lenses through which we are looking at it and the languages through which we are presently limiting it.

In short: The extraordinary exists if we know how to look at and think about it.

Currently reading "The Super Natural”.
It’s by Whitley Strieber of “Communion” fame.
And co-writen by and religious studies professor.
Very interesting....I have to say I’m throughly enjoying it so far.

4155QrcU6-L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Two of today's maverick authors on anomalous experience present a perception-altering and intellectually thrilling analysis of why the paranormal is real, but radically different from what is conventionallyunderstood.

Whitley Strieber (Communion) and Jeffrey J. Kripal (J. Newton Rayzor professor of religion at Rice University) team up on this unprecedented and intellectually vibrant new framing of inexplicable events and experiences.

Rather than merely document the anomalous, these authors--one the man who popularized alien abduction and the other a renowned scholar and "renegade advocate for including the paranormal in religious studies" (The New York Times)--deliver a fast-paced and exhilarating study of why the supernatural is neither fantasy nor fiction but a vital and authentic aspect of life.

Their suggestion?
That all kinds of "impossible" things, from extra-dimensional beings to bilocation to bumps in the night, are not impossible at all: rather, they are a part of our natural world.

But this natural world is immeasurably more weird, more wonderful, and probably more populated than we have so far imagined with our current categories and cultures, which are what really make these things seem "impossible."

The Super Natural considers that the natural world is actually a "super natural world"--and all we have to do to see this is to change the lenses through which we are looking at it and the languages through which we are presently limiting it.

In short: The extraordinary exists if we know how to look at and think about it.

I fell in love with Whitley Strieber when I heard him interviewed by Jimmy Church on Fade To Black radio.
He described all manner of experiences happening to him BEFORE his wife died. THEN after she died she became his Mentor Guide. ...and is continuing to love him (even more) from the other side of the veil. What an amazing love story!!