3blackrings

Donor
Apr 1, 2012
MBTI
INXJ
Enneagram
don't know
INFJ

I'm curious to see if there's a pattern with personality types and religious beliefs. I started out Lutheran by birth and then was Agnostic most of my life, mostly due to lack of experience. At this point in my life I believe there is an afterlife, a higher power of some sort, love is the way, that this life is a learning/growing experience. I think Science is correct. I believe in Evolution. I don't think I could fit into any existing religion and I don't want to. It's too important a thing to be led astray.

I'm a Spiritual INFJ, who is grounded by Christianity.

My beliefs are probably, though, closest to that of which one considers Christian Science.
I am still reading into it, but I strongly believe that Religion and Science can coexist in the same sphere.

Reactions: 3blackrings
Catholic, by my parents and by my honest choice. But my view of religion and my relationship with God is probably somewhat more complex than that.
I could not imagine my life without my religion and spirituality.

Short Answer: Non-spiritual INFJ but open to being convinced otherwise at this moment in time.

Long Answer: See below

I started out as Ukrainian Orthodox. After my parents divorced, my religious upbringing was that of whomever my mother was dating. I have tried Christian Science, Catholicism, Baptism, Methodist, and a few others. At my dad's house his wife was Lutheran. So whenever I lived there, which was sporadic, I was Lutheran. My dad always went with her to church but I don't think I believe that he ever really invested in spirituality or faith.

As I went off to college I learned about Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Wicca, Islam, and other religions. I am a fan of learning. I think at that point I became agnostic.

After that I became more rooted in science. I am starting to reexamine though, I did really like the philosophies of Buddhism. I currently live in Arizona and in my area there are a lot of Mormons which is interesting, but not for me. So I am just very open to ideas but rooted in a belief that a formal organized religion is not necessarily for me.

Reactions: hush
INFJ: Pagan/Agnostic

im a nature worshiper, but my philosophy is really hard to explain in a post like this xD

i used to be and atheist by the way

I would say I'm spiritual...but I'm not religious and don't affiliate with any religion. I used to be Christian, and I still go to church out of habit, but I think that has more to do with my upbringing. As someone who thinks a lot, and thinks deeply, in the end I couldn't buy the story of christianity.

Reactions: hush
I think personal identity transcends one's personality: it is the captain steering the ship, not the ship itself. Both must be capable or there will be a wreck. You're given one ship commanded by an adaptable, malleable captain. That is the crux, I think. The first is permenant and the second mutates, for lack of a better word, with every ocean crossed.

That said, I am a peaceful atheist and an INFJ.

Afterthought: By "personality", I mean the physio-psychological types drafted by Jung, not behavioral traits.

Last edited:
Reactions: mochi and jyrffw54
i was raised Catholic, but apparently my beliefs are most in line with the Quakers.

i love the Jesus, and all the peoples.

Reactions: mochi and jyrffw54
Christian ISTJ(?)

Christian Taoist INFJ. :)

Short Answer: Non-spiritual INFJ but open to being convinced otherwise at this moment in time.

Long Answer: See below

I started out as Ukrainian Orthodox. After my parents divorced, my religious upbringing was that of whomever my mother was dating. I have tried Christian Science, Catholicism, Baptism, Methodist, and a few others. At my dad's house his wife was Lutheran. So whenever I lived there, which was sporadic, I was Lutheran. My dad always went with her to church but I don't think I believe that he ever really invested in spirituality or faith.

As I went off to college I learned about Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Wicca, Islam, and other religions. I am a fan of learning. I think at that point I became agnostic.

After that I became more rooted in science. I am starting to reexamine though, I did really like the philosophies of Buddhism. I currently live in Arizona and in my area there are a lot of Mormons which is interesting, but not for me. So I am just very open to ideas but rooted in a belief that a formal organized religion is not necessarily for me.

I had an almost identical experience with religion- in as far as my parents were Episcopalian, but when they split my dad was an atheist, my mom got into Foursquare, as a child I went to extreme Baptist Bible camps, my dad got into Nazarene. So at my mom's church we danced and sang long songs and talked in tongues. At my grandparents Bible Camp I was scared to hell, and at my dad's church everyone was super super conservative.

For the most part now, I am much more into spirituality. I think what I fundamentally don't like about religion is how double-sided it is. By sheltering people from the world, they create a naivety that upon entering the real world leaves people defenseless and very vulnerable. By pretending to be holier than thou, insecurities are fostered, and I don't know why I have this horribly sneaking suspicion, but I don't think people are "born" bad. I think that religion is one of the biggest evils of the world, because religion tends to always hold back people from being as great as they could truly be. If I lived with the label of "sinner" my whole life, I think I would be carrying a huge burden.

I was a very devout Christian as a child, and tried very hard to convert some of my friends, and listened to Christian radio before school. A few experiences turned me off- particularly my experience at Bible Camp- the first year it was about working on your relationship on God, and the next year it was all about Hell, and each cabin was supposed to be "born again" but I just didn't feel it. Then I became an atheist, but my parents still forced me to go to Church, and then I just hated it more and more.

Now, I am "spiritual" in the sense that I hate religion, love science, but also believe that we have a soul and do reincarnate. I am a huge fan of gnosticism, Philip K. Dick and Jung, as well as some aspects of Discordianism and Robert Anton Wilson. I believe that there is hidden wisdom, and am typically skeptical of en-masse anything. I like the idea that we are on Earth to grow and improve ourselves, and any dogma that wants us to stay ignorant or believe in faith is total bull.

American Orthodox / ISTJ

Christian INFJ. I've always had a deep sense of there being a God even though my parents barely went to church. I basically started going b/c I wanted to at about 16 or 17.

I get this feeling that MBTI types might not affect 'preference' in particular, but how we approach them; if we chose to believe, why? If we chose not to believe, why?

Which is not particularly helping if you asked me since that's basically people's way of living, no.

I'm a confusing one. I was brought up Muslim, but I'm now starting to realise that I don't need religion to have God in my life. I'm slowly parting from Islam and entering general theism.

I get this feeling that MBTI types might not affect 'preference' in particular, but how we approach them; if we chose to believe, why? If we chose not to believe, why?

I agree....SJ's have different approach to chosen religion than NFs for example...