Maintaing your inner equilibrium | INFJ Forum

Maintaing your inner equilibrium

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
I thought this might be interesting to discuss.

What kind of events, environments, circumstances, or personalities are likely to displace or distort your sense of equilibrium (mental, emotional, etc.)? Or to "throw you off balance", knock you off your inner feet, so to speak, or to feel your sense of self has been flooded over?

Is this something that happens easily in your experience or are you less likely to be de-centred or overwhelmed in this way?

What, do you suppose, can this frequency or infrequency can be attributed to?

How do you re-center yourself when it does happen?

Ideas on how to lessen the frequency (I.e. Preventative action)?

Any other thoughts?

What kind of events, environments, circumstances, or personalities are likely to displace or distort your sense of equilibrium (mental, emotional, etc.)? Or to "throw you off balance", knock you off your inner feet, so to speak, or to feel your sense of self has been flooded over?

People. Being around and having to interact with people for extended periods of time can throw me off balance quickly. Especially needy, whiny, "help me NOW Sonya" people. I get to the point where it bothers me to feel like people are depending on me--I am super responsible and I never do things halfway. If I am out of balance the "needs" of others are a terrible burden to me and cause me to feel anxious and upset. I can also become unbalanced when I don't understand what I am feeling or why. I spend a lot of time analyzing my emotions. I particularly dislike feeing vulnerable.

Is this something that happens easily in your experience or are you less likely to be de-centred or overwhelmed in this way?

As I have gotten older, it is easier to recognize when I am feeling this way. I also make sure to spend as much time as my busy life allows to just de-stress and be alone. I value my alone time. I make sure I get as much space as I need. I also try not to supress my irritation and allow myself to feel irritated so I can get over it. I tend to keep people at arms length and maintain distance. I value the people I let close and they basically have carte blanche from me because I am very loyal. However, it takes a long time to let someone close. I recognize that I don't like letting people close and give myself permission to maintain that distance. It becomes hard when people like me ( I am relatively friendly) and I know I don't consider them as close of a friend as they do me. When I know someone feels like we are "this close" and I do not share that feeling, it makes me uneasy but I try and be as friendly as I can and give myself permission to make my own judgements about how close someone is.

I do a lot of thinking. A lot of analyzing. I also immerse myself in mindless activity. I will read. I will do beadwork. I will clean. I will listen to music loudly. It is like these activities allow my mind to sift thru everything. Kinda like that little hourglass on the computer--wait for it, wait for it...okay...Oh yea..that is what is wrong...hum...okay I feel better.

I don't know about preventive. I do however think that it is important to recognize that the problem is you. A lot of times we like to get angry at others or what not and ignore the fact that the issue lies inside us. I always say within, not without. I think if you train yourself to look inside first, you can pretty much solve a lot of your problems. It is rare that the problem is entirely someone else's fault.

Reactions: brownegg
Once I learned about my "center," nothing could throw me off equilibrium without my consent. I'm mindful to stay in it all day.

I use a specific technique to shed as many layers of attachment to my identity as possible, and from that spot, my entire world is literally in front of me in my mind. I see and can have effect on my body, my personality, my ego, my beliefs, my desires...it's all changeable and therefore in my control.

If you're curious about the technique I use for equanimity, it's in this blog post: Find Your Center - An Incredible Technique for Emotional Stability.

- Things which surprise me; unexpected outcomes or results. when I believed that something was quintessentially true only to find out it wasn't.

- I am easily overwhelmed but not as much as I used to be. I can handle more now because I try to anticipate the worst even if things are going well. I imagine the worst possible scenarios and avoid having expectations which are not realistic or impossible to meet. I expect less of people and more of myself.

- Withdraw from the world, and reflect on how I'm processing the situation. I think about how I see it and how I could change my perspective to better handle the reality. I research some coping mechanisms and try to incorporate them where useful.

Reactions: hn87c901
very interesting question

my answer is the same as NDN NT.

I loose my inner equilibrium very easily when I'm around people. I think when I'm around people I tune into them, what they want from me, how they would like me to behave towards them, who do I need to be to be accepted. At that point I'm not acting like myself anymore and when I have to do that for too long I loose my sense of self. I become very drained, easily irritated with people, my head is filled with other peoples voices saying me how I should act, how I should think.

To find back my equilibrium I need to be alone. Driving the car is very helpful because then my body is busy but I still have the opportunity to think and digest what has happened. I try to focus on myself, I imagine there is a "center" inside of me and by focussing on that it will grow. I will feel more love for myself, more happyness and it gets easier to see things in perspective. I remember again who I am, what I want, what I think of something. So whenever I have to make a decission it is essential that I take the car for a drive and find out what I want otherwise the voices of others will outcry my own voice. But it doesn't work every time. Sometimes the voices get so powerfull that even when I'm alone I can't find my own voice. That mostly happens when I loose faith in my own judgement.

as to prevent this to happen. I'm still trying to figure that out. In normal situations I seem to be doing fine, keeping my center but if something happens (me making a mistake, someone telling me I suck, suddenly being ignored by people or shut out, ...) will knock me off my feet.
Noticing that I'm starting to change my focus from myself to "pleasing others" is the first step. Whenever I notice this, I should refocus on myself, on my center. But by then I'm so wrapped up in my misery that I can't refocus anymore.
Caring for yourself is the corner stone for keeping your inner equilibrium. As long as I care more for what others think than for my own happyness, I'll be loosing my equilibrium. The more I love myself and respect myself (even though I'm the only one), the better I'm centered.

And the stupid thing is that caring for what other people think and trying to meet their expectations, doesn't make them like me more, in the contrary. They like me more when I'm centered. So why do I fall in the same trap over and over again?

I should remember that even when the whole world is against me, I still can love and respect myself and have faith in my own judgements.

Reactions: not sure and Gaze
@Sonya

As I have gotten older, it is easier to recognize when I am feeling this way. I also make sure to spend as much time as my busy life allows to just de-stress and be alone. I value my alone time. I make sure I get as much space as I need. I also try not to supress my irritation and allow myself to feel irritated so I can get over it. I tend to keep people at arms length and maintain distance. I value the people I let close and they basically have carte blanche from me because I am very loyal. However, it takes a long time to let someone close. I recognize that I don't like letting people close and give myself permission to maintain that distance. It becomes hard when people like me ( I am relatively friendly) and I know I don't consider them as close of a friend as they do me. When I know someone feels like we are "this close" and I do not share that feeling, it makes me uneasy but I try and be as friendly as I can and give myself permission to make my own judgements about how close someone is.

Do you mind if I ask how you respond to people who consider themselves to have a closer relationship with you than you them, in instances where they might begin to rely on you or try to engage you because of that perceived closeness to a level which you don't necessarily desire or which you may not wish to reciprocate? I guess what I'm asking is how you make a graceful exit without hurting the other party (if that's possible). :)

I don't know about preventive. I do however think that it is important to recognize that the problem is you. A lot of times we like to get angry at others or what not and ignore the fact that the issue lies inside us. I always say within, not without. I think if you train yourself to look inside first, you can pretty much solve a lot of your problems. It is rare that the problem is entirely someone else's fault.

Indeed. Great point. I also really like and agree with what you said with regard to giving yourself permission to feel a certain way and make decisions with respect for yourself and your needs.

Once I learned about my "center," nothing could throw me off equilibrium without my consent. I'm mindful to stay in it all day.

I use a specific technique to shed as many layers of attachment to my identity as possible, and from that spot, my entire world is literally in front of me in my mind. I see and can have effect on my body, my personality, my ego, my beliefs, my desires...it's all changeable and therefore in my control.

If you're curious about the technique I use for equanimity, it's in this blog post: Find Your Center - An Incredible Technique for Emotional Stability.

@Duty
Thanks for the link.
Do you think the process of finding one's center or equilibrium might vary depending on one's personality?

[MENTION=1669]Rite[/MENTION]

- Things which surprise me; unexpected outcomes or results. when I believed that something was quintessentially true only to find out it wasn't.

I think that would be enough to shake many of us!

- I am easily overwhelmed but not as much as I used to be. I can handle more now because I try to anticipate the worst even if things are going well. I imagine the worst possible scenarios and avoid having expectations which are not realistic or impossible to meet. I expect less of people and more of myself.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but perhaps you might understand or have insight on this: as someone who anticipates the worst, how do you anticipate it without (I presume) expecting it?

@Morgain
very interesting question

my answer is the same as NDN NT.

I loose my inner equilibrium very easily when I'm around people. I think when I'm around people I tune into them, what they want from me, how they would like me to behave towards them, who do I need to be to be accepted. At that point I'm not acting like myself anymore and when I have to do that for too long I loose my sense of self. I become very drained, easily irritated with people, my head is filled with other peoples voices saying me how I should act, how I should think.

As you probably know, I can relate to this and it is difficult. I'm curious if you ever notice this process as it's occurring... or if it's more instantaneous? At what point do you become aware that your attention has drifted to the external?

To find back my equilibrium I need to be alone. ... So whenever I have to make a decission it is essential that I take the car for a drive and find out what I want otherwise the voices of others will outcry my own voice. But it doesn't work every time. Sometimes the voices get so powerfull that even when I'm alone I can't find my own voice. That mostly happens when I loose faith in my own judgement.

Ditto, sister.

as to prevent this to happen. I'm still trying to figure that out. In normal situations I seem to be doing fine, keeping my center but if something happens (me making a mistake, someone telling me I suck, suddenly being ignored by people or shut out, ...) will knock me off my feet.
Noticing that I'm starting to change my focus from myself to "pleasing others" is the first step. Whenever I notice this, I should refocus on myself, on my center. But by then I'm so wrapped up in my misery that I can't refocus anymore.
Caring for yourself is the corner stone for keeping your inner equilibrium. As long as I care more for what others think than for my own happyness, I'll be loosing my equilibrium. The more I love myself and respect myself (even though I'm the only one), the better I'm centered.

And the stupid thing is that caring for what other people think and trying to meet their expectations, doesn't make them like me more, in the contrary. They like me more when I'm centered. So why do I fall in the same trap over and over again?

I should remember that even when the whole world is against me, I still can love and respect myself and have faith in my own judgements.

Absolutely. It sounds to me like you already know how you want to feel and like your thoughts are lined up with what's best for you. :) You'll get to the point of centredness and calm in time, I think. Just takes some time and practice. :)

[MENTION=407]Soulful[/MENTION]
Generally speaking, most people don't care what "level" of friend you consider them to be. I don't allow myself to fall into social traps. I never agree to meet, say co-workers, outside of work if I don't want to. I remember stuff about you but don't share as much. I ask how you are but don't let you know how I am. Yes, it builds a friendship but somewhat one sided. I still have affection and care but not a deep level of commitment to the friendship.

The trick is to be open and engaging without being personal and in-depth. Example: I may say, I am feeling tired. I don't elaborate that the reason may be because I am stressed out because I care for my disabled sister, I have arthritis, or some other intensely personal reason. Be the one to ask the questions and keep things vague on your end.

I also don't share much actual personal information like my phone number or address. If you have either, I consider you a friend. It is about being present in the moment with other people but being absent from their memory when you are not there. It isn't terribly difficult to do.

When all else fails and someone is really needy or trying to get close and you need some distance. Be distant. Avoid. Hide. Be brief. No reason to engage in some deep, meaningful conversation about how you feel. Just let it be for awhile and time and distance take care of most things. It isn't about being fake or obnoxious. I just prefer to keep most people at a distance. I love to hear what you have to say, I love to talk to you but I don't necessarily want to share deep dark secrets or care if you know me. If I share parts of myself with you, I consider you my friend. If I let you see me cry, I will have to kill you because I allow no witnesses *jokes*

I think it would be hard for Fe doms. My Fi tells me it is okay to make my own choices in this matter without getting group consensus or worrying about what others think regarding the matter.

I guess I have developed, over time, a good many mechanisms that help maintain a sense of inner equilibrium. It is sacred space, and I have learned to seperate what is happening around me (and to me) from what is happening deep inside me. There is always this still place within, and I think the more I have come to rely upon and subsist within this place, the more I have learned to attune to it and answer it's invitation, come what may. It's as if I see more and more clearly the illusory nature of much of what goes on around me, and the only place through which I can perceive reality is through this inner place. Re-centering is just a breath away...although my emotions may need time to catch up. I don't fight with myself over it, though....no need to. The place of equilibrium is always a place of reality...peaceful, strong and stable...and that always seems to win the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulful
Thanks [MENTION=3096]Sonya[/MENTION]. I'm not sure if it's Fi or Fe. My Fi could probably use a workout.
Do you find others are quite content to talk about themselves and know little about you? Just curious... there's something I've heard about people wanting to talk more than they listen and the idea that it's a compliment to be listened to.
But I do know what you mean... it's not uncommon for me to ask questions and keep someone talking rather than share. Works well (and can be interesting). :)

Extremley crowded and loud parties consisting mostly of people I don't know. I can't stay there. Whenever I've found myself being somewhere like this for whatever reason I walk in one door and out the other.

But I can usually avoid it by not going there. (And I think that pretty much sums up the rest of your questions.)

As you probably know, I can relate to this and it is difficult. I'm curious if you ever notice this process as it's occurring... or if it's more instantaneous? At what point do you become aware that your attention has drifted to the external?

most of the times I'm not aware at the moment. It is mostly when I'm completely exhausted and can not fall asleep that I see it "oops I did it again". But at that point it takes a great effort to recenter. I lie awake in my bed, try to calm my mind and body through meditation but my mind drifts off and my body remains cramped. I feel like I'm a guard dog with one eye open all the time just in case ... I can't completely relax and be. The expectations keep me bussy. And I haven't found a good method yet to get to a calm state. Maybe that mindfullness can help?

I guess I have developed, over time, a good many mechanisms that help maintain a sense of inner equilibrium. It is sacred space, and I have learned to seperate what is happening around me (and to me) from what is happening deep inside me. There is always this still place within, and I think the more I have come to rely upon and subsist within this place, the more I have learned to attune to it and answer it's invitation, come what may. It's as if I see more and more clearly the illusory nature of much of what goes on around me, and the only place through with I can perceive reality is through this inner place. Re-centering is just a breath away...although my emotions may need time to catch up. I don't fight with myself over it, though....no need to. The place of equilibrium is always a place of reality...peaceful, strong and stable...and that always seems to win the day.

I know what you mean with "a sacred place". But it is still hard for me to go to that place and be there completely without having one eye turned to the outside world. Do you have some tips and tricks for this?

Also when I am in that sacred place I feel distanned from the outside world. Like I'm only a visitor. And at that point I want to participate and play the game with all ups and downs. It feels like I'm missing the fun. So I'm always torn between remaining the equilibrium but still being present and enjoy the ride...

How do you re-center yourself when it does happen? Ideas on how to lessen the frequency (I.e. Preventative action)?

Eat healthy, less fat, less sugar, less stress, less alcohol. Avoid phony and aggressive people. Read a book, watch a film. Meditate or cook something. Open a bottle of wine and relax. Go for a walk, perhaps in the woods.

Reactions: not sure
it is still hard for me to go to that place and be there completely without having one eye turned to the outside world. Do you have some tips and tricks for this?
This is a challenge for sure because we need (and value) our egos and our minds to function in our daily lives. Still, I think there is a time to turn this ever-present voice off. For me it involves intentionally spending time in silence, being aware of my breathing, using a prayer-word to return to stillnness when my mind wanders either to things to come or things past....just staying in each single moment. I stay there, not alone or in some ambiguous state, but with God. It is for me a time of the heart, not of the mind. Switching modes is not always easy, but it is both do-able and, I think, healthy. With time we become more familiar with this inner place of connection, and it is this connection that has enormous impacts on our daily living, relationships, outlooks, associations, and perspectives.

Regarding distancing from the outside world, I personally feel that it is good to embrace specific times to move into silence, and specific times to give oneself over to life in the everyday world. The former will inform the latter, for sure. Coming to grips with being on a different path from those around us is, I think, a whole different challenge. For me, it is about what being truly human is all about. It is normal....although perhaps not typical.

Each person's journey is unique, even though the path may be informed by those who have come before or journey alongside us. If our heart is yearning for truth, for connection, I think we will find the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norwich

When it comes to events, this seems quite personalised to do with my issues because it's normally the sense that I have made a mistake. I get very, very anxious if I feel that I have made a mistake.
With people, there's a few different ways people effect me. There is a certain type of personality that I find unbearable and them just being them and being there just gets a rise out of me. These tend to be people that have a low self esteem and are overcompensating for it. Generally, they are challenging in conversation in that they see everything as being a competition and want to "win". They feel better about themselves if they are seen to be superior or deliberately respond to others in a way that appears to evidence their superiority - they try to embarrass other people, is the main gist of it. They do this because they want the person they're talking to to know that they are better, stronger etc. But often these are the most unhappy and least strong people. Even though I know that, and that they're doing it because they're unhappy, I still find them intolerable and I have no sympathy for them. Often they are status seeking and attempt to disassociate themselves from people they predict will be seen as having a low status. Often they get it wrong, and I love it when that happens. To disassociate themselves they will make it as blatantly clear to everybody, especially the person they wish to be set apart from, that they are not impressed with the lower status person - embarrassed for them, perhaps. I feel overwhelmed with anger by these people, though, not really upset.

To be overwhelmingly upset, it is generally that a person I love or just a person I know is good is upset and there's nothing I can do. I tend to (in that stereotypical Fe way) feel as they feel and I find that quite unbearable - for both of us, I suppose, so it's not really very selfless in any way though it may look like that to others.

I get very upset if I feel like I have upset someone and sometimes assume it's my fault when I see another person upset, even if this is totally irrational.

Oh, and irresponsibility - though I think that goes in the mistakes part.

Other things that have knocked me way, way, way off - as in times I've got very ill - have generally been external events that I wrongly assume at the time say something about me. It tends to be events that question the myth I hold about myself (and at least part of it is myth) which leads me to feel shame, despair and self-loathing. These myths tend to be around my capability and inner arrogance. I have a strong inner arrogance that constantly tells me I am amazing, though I'm embarrassed to admit it - overcompensation, though, trying to make myself feel better! Were I actually arrogant, I would not be able feel so sensitive to external criticism. I've just written elsewhere that I am not sensitive but as I write this I realise I am - this is the kind of confusion I often have about myself. In my life I have been thrown off course to a significant life changing extent a few times and it has been about 1) I am slim (this was to do with my mam having eating disorders, though, I was slim but she questioned that and that sent me insane for a few years). 2) I'm clever - straight A student but I missed my targets in my GCSEs because I was bulimic at the time and - yeah - not concentrating or eating. They predicted our A level results off of our GCSE results and gave me a slip of paper showing "what they expected from me" - it was so much lower than what I expected of myself that I stopped going to school for a while or when I did go, I didn't work. 3) I am a good girlfriend.

Yes. Tends to be about mistakes, though. If I feel I have made a mistake I am thrown easily.

Distorted perceptions of the outside world.

My natural inclination is to think it through, work out "why" etc, normally discuss with others or look for reassurance - this gets me nowhere and makes me worse. I have since learned the best way is to trivialise the problem. If I am able to see that, in the long run, the mistake is not as important as it feels, that helps. Mostly it is distracting myself with other things so that I don't have time to obsess - I'm extremely obsessive and this really makes everything worse.
Coming prepared. Having the skills from the start. I have been trying to teach myself, for years, to just look through a different lens and keep things in perspective. I also try to notice if I am becoming obsessed with something and try to nip it in the bud quickly. I also try to calm myself down i I get anxious that an obsession might start by rationalising to myself that the fear of obsession (not being in control) is almost certainly what drives my obsessions anyway.

Reactions: hn87c901

@Duty
Thanks for the link.
Do you think the process of finding one's center or equilibrium might vary depending on one's personality?

No, not really. I mean, assuming you pretty much have the same things I do: body, emotions, mind, ego, etc, then the process works the same. Personality is just the content of the ego, and the content doesn't matter in this exercise...only seeing the structure itself is important here.

Reactions: Soulful

- Withdraw from the world, and reflect on how I'm processing the situation. I think about how I see it and how I could change my perspective to better handle the reality. I research some coping mechanisms and try to incorporate them where useful.
Holy smokes. Every word of this could have been written about me.

Reactions: hn87c901 and Gaze
I thought this might be interesting to discuss.

Any other thoughts?
Trusting that I was perceiving the truth and then finding out that it wasn't.
Mistakenly believing that others have my best interests at heart as I normally do theirs and discovering that it isn't the case.
Unexpected negative communications with me, especially when done in front of others throw me off balance.
But above all, it's when the door is slammed on me. When there is nothing I can do to pry it open again. Being shut out is the most unbalancing thing for me especially by someone with whom i believed a deep caring and connection existed.

Being told that my work is not up to the standards of others that have been in the profession for the same length of time de-centres me. When this happens I may spiral into the dark mud of failure and feel that I'll never be good enough. All the cheers and applauds from the sidelines from those whose lives I've touched, are drowned out by harsh voices of self doubt and recrimination for a while.
I have learned to focus less on what others' opinions are and to do what I see is important to me in life - which involves bettering others' lives. This helps me re-centre myself. Immersing myself in researching whatever the current interest that may have peeked its head tantalisingly around the corner also pulls me out of the dark mud.

Focussing on my life goals and practicing depersonalising others' thoughts, opinions and actions is the preventative practice that I do. It works mostly.