Lifestyle Choices | INFJ Forum

Lifestyle Choices

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Quinlan, Nov 10, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Quinlan
  1. Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    What is and isn't a lifestyle choice? and at what point does discrimination become acceptable based on something being a choice?

    Why is homosexuality (or even gender) considered not a choice but obesity is?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drsolace

    drsolace Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    317
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    In it's simplest form, I'd say a lifestyle choice is something that has been molded by experience, which can be influenced and changed at a later date.

    Homosexuality and gender are not considered choices because one was born with these traits. Although one can change these traits, it would not be a lifestyle choice, but a lifestyle overhaul.

    Obesity is seen a choice because one usually gradually develops this condition.
     
  3. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    So if someone has always been big then it would be conisdered more in line with homosexuality? How do we know that they're born homosexual?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. drsolace

    drsolace Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    317
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    That depends if the obesity is caused by an underlying medication condition or whether it resulted from bad decisions.

    I don't believe we are born with a predisposed attraction to one gender or the other. I believe that we are born with a tendency to prefer one over the other which is either validated or not through life experiences.
     
  5. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,284
    Likes Received:
    549
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Why are you trying to compare homosexuality to obesity?

    A lifestyle is a manner of living that reflects a person's values and attitudes, whereas a sexual orientation is an enduring pattern of emotional, sexual, and romantic attraction to a certain gender. As such, lifestyles are inherently chosen whereas sexual orientations are not. Whether or not you believe homosexuality falls under the category of "lifestyle" or "sexual orientation" largely depends upon which source of information you go by.

    Obesity is defined as a medical condition whereby excess body fat accumulates to the point of causing health problems. Obesity in itself is neither a lifestyle choice nor a biological orientation. Lifestyle choices and/or biological factors can lead to obesity, but obesity in and of itself is simply a medical condition.

    In essence, it makes just as much sense to compare homosexuality to obesity as it does to compare homosexuality to athlete's foot.
     
    #5 Satya, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,297
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    A lifestyle choice is something that you make a conscious effort to be part of. Example, doing psychedelic drugs. Homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice, because it is intrinsic to who you are; you can't control who you are attracted to (for those who disagree, I will not argue this). Homosexual activites can become lifestyle choices though. Such as being active in the gay community, then it becomes a lifestyle choice in a way. However, just because you are homosexual, doesn't mean it is a lifestyle choice.

    Obesity is a little different. There are some people who have no control over their weight. It is intrinsic to their biology. There are however, some people who could have control over their weight, but they let it run out of control (because they aren't trying to do anything about it). Then it is a lifestyle choice, because they are consciously choosing to be obese.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,256
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    34,226
    Trophy Points:
    1,387
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Is discrimination acceptable?




    You're not born with a gender; you're born with a sex.
    You're conditioned into the roles respective of each sex from infancy.
     
  8. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    669
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I disagree we are born with a gender, we are naturally tuned to that gender.
    Men are naturally attracted to women, we don't need to be conditioned our hormones do that for us.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,256
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    34,226
    Trophy Points:
    1,387
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I wasn't talking about sexuality. I was talking about gender... Masculinity and femininity and the identification of the roles assigned to each..
    A person can be heterosexual without identifying or complying with culturally issued masculine or feminine roles or traits.

    We're born with a sex-- or the reproductive organs of a male or a female (but sometimes both actually..)
     
    enfp can be shy and bamf like this.
  10. Top cat

    Top cat Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2009
    Threads:
    14
    Messages:
    910
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    ?
    what do you mean by this question?
     
  11. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I think they are similar in a few ways:

    -Stigma attached to both (probably decreasing for homosexuality)
    -Health risks associated with both
    - I see the actual behaviours as a result of the concious mind being overcome by innate drives
    -Similar arguments against both (Unnatural, sinful, unhealthy, lifestyle choices, spreading to offspring etc.)
    - Probably very similar success rate (ie. almost non-existent) for turning an homosexual straight as there is for turning an obese person into a slim one.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I don't really know I've just heard it bandied about that it's ok to discriminate against people if they're making a choice to be that way.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    288
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Style is mostly an illusion. And they call it freedom, when it's usually exactly the opposite. Chooser means consumer, in reality there are no multiple-choice tests.

    Exactly. Same with racist roles before.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    acd likes this.
  14. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    Dude, what's your diet like?

    Want to change to my raw food diet?
     
  15. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,284
    Likes Received:
    549
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    There is no significant health risks associated with simply being homosexual. There are health risks involved in having homosexual sex. There are also mental health risks associated with being within a stigmatized group. However, being homosexual does not mean you have poor health whereas obesity, by definition, means you have poor health.

    I have no idea what the success rate of changing either is, however I do know this...

    The rate of obesity is steadily increasing every year and has been increasing since the 1960s, whereas the rate of homosexuality has remained relatively steady. If obesity were primarily innate in nature, then it would not have increased at such a high rate. If homosexuality were a manner of choice, then it would expectantly have increased as societal attitudes have become more tolerant. This seems to indicate that obesity is considerably more of a choice than homosexuality is.
     
    #15 Satya, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  16. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    unless you're only obese by pure BMI standards, and not by health ones.
     
  17. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,284
    Likes Received:
    549
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    True. However, I suspect that even the majority of these cases face health issues directly related to their weight.
     
  18. Architectonic

    Architectonic Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    no comment
    I really don't buy into this lifestyle choice = conscious choice idea.

    Ask any obese person whether they consciously chose to be very fat?

    Obesity that isn't strictly genetic or non genetic developmental disorders (epigenetics etc) is the result of many life experiences and choices.

    And I believe homosexuality is too. In some ways homosexuality is a sort of reaction against societal conditioning towards strictly defined sexual roles. Basically lots of subtle experiences and decisions compound into a feeling that the reason why you feel different is due to a specific cause eg homosexuality.
    The causality is clearly more complex/chaotic than the obesity case, but it is a reasonable hypothesis.

    The fact is currently there is virtually no proof that homosexuality is genetic or that it is due to early developmental issues. There have been plenty of hypothesis, some of which have made it to the media, but little that have been confirmed. Is this due to our primitive knowledge of biological science, or simply because the evidence isn't there?
    As such, I will certainly change my belief if significant contrary evidence eventuates.

    Interestingly, if homosexuality is not considered to be a legitimate lifestyle choice, then that automatically makes it a disease. When given such a status, there will always be those who believe it should be cured. On the other hand, if society recognises that sexuality is not strictly defined and recognises homosexuality as a legitimate lifestyle choice then it is no longer an issue.
     
    #18 Architectonic, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    enfp can be shy likes this.
  19. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,284
    Likes Received:
    549
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    I'm curious. What are your thoughts on the birth order studies? The twin correlation studies? The fetal hormone studies?

    If homosexual behavior is not derived from a biological source, then how come it is so prevalently practiced in varying forms in nature by hundreds of species of animals? If it isn't biological in nature, then how come scientists are able to manipulate hormones in rats to produce homosexual behavior in rats and breed rams that approach only other rams for sexual encounters?

    Why would you discount all this evidence which suggests that homosexuality does have strong biological roots?
     
    #19 Satya, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  20. Architectonic

    Architectonic Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    no comment
    With regards to human studies, because human behaviour is a complex phenomena, you run into the following difficulties:

    1. Controlling other factors eg in twin studies, birth order etc, there are common environmental factors. 2. Reproducibility 3. Statistical significance. (eg if you found twins adopted at an early age - before 5-6, you'd have to have enough sets and a strong enough correlation so the effect of other variables can be ignored).

    But if you want to link directly to the published articles (find them on google scholar), I might have a look for a serious discussion.

    Genetics may explain partial susceptibility. In the same way you might find a genetic correlation between those who test as intuitives on the MBTI.
    But this is hardly the same as causation, further experiences and choices need to be made. My point is that it is ultimately a choice. Feeling 'different' from other people doesn't mean you are homosexual. Yet society conditions those who feel different in a certain (gender nonconformity) way to think they are homosexual.

    If you found a supposed genetic indicator for male homosexuality were to test a large sample group, I'm sure you'll find a significant portion of 'straight' people who have the genetic indicator. I'm of course assuming that a gene itself is unlikely to be found (in which case, I would expect a substantial number of supposed 'straight' men to be homozygous for the gene).

    The animal evidence with hormones doesn't really apply - unless you also find that human homosexuals have the same substantial imbalances of similar hormones. All it means is that the hormonal imbalance made those animals misinterpret the behaviour of others. Though the breeding of homosexual rams is interesting, assuming its statistically significant and reproducable (to avoid biases).

    The most likely out of all of the biological evidence to suggest a very strong predisposition is of course prenatal hormones or other epigenetic factors - and if so, one needs to show a direct link between the difference in hormone levels and developmental differences (eg different hormone levels in the fetus, or differences in the development of the brain).
     
    #20 Architectonic, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009

Share This Page