Life is scary, life is hard. | INFJ Forum

Life is scary, life is hard.

How do you feel about life?

• I want to run away from it! No more please!

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I only do what I have to, and I can get by on that

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Meh, I'm doing alright, no real worries

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I'm pretty happy and relaxed, even with what seems hard to others

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Love it, keep it comming, I live off challenges! MOAR!

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

DoveAlexa

Chaz's Lovey Bunny
Donor
Mar 5, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
How do you feel about life? You wake up everyday with zeal or do you want to just sleep forever to avoid it?

I'm feeling quite the latter. I'd like nothing better than for all my pressing demands to just STOP for a bit. Life just never stops coming and I feel I'm just not up to the task of getting all of it done as it goes by.

Most of the time, I'm in the same boat as you. I feel like real life can be such a choresometimes. I really have to wonder at the people who seem to be permanently tweaking on their own dopamine. What's their secret?

Most of the time, I'm in the same boat as you. I feel like real life can be such a choresometimes. I really have to wonder at the people who seem to be permanently tweaking on their own dopamine. What's their secret?
They have all their chores done FOR them, I think. Or at least no worries of anything ever going wrong.

I believe that making our way in the world today takes everything we got. Taking a break from all of our worries would sure help alot.

I mean wouldn't it be nice to get away?

Sometimes you just got to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. You wanna go where everybody can see that all of our troubles are the same. You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
I have a hard time waking up, but I thrive on challenges. If things aren't at least a little bit rough, I get bored and just want to sit on the couch reading all day. It's weird, but I need a little bit of chaos to light my fire, and then I don't want to stop.

I am currently in a state of depression, so I guess that does not help much. I sometimes wish I could sleep so I can finally be at peace. I am constantly feeling emotional distress and pressure, and find myself unable to relax. I am never satisfied, and find it hard to find pleasure. I just keep going on and on though, I told myself to quit several times, but I just been unable to. I am somehow struggling through, I really feel the need to leave an imprint and make a difference.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
Now that I think of it, I can't remember the last time I didn't have the worry about "oh god, if I don't do something to progress my life forward right now I'm screwed!" While I've got the "getting on with life" thing mostly down, I still have a ton of health related crap in my way. I practically live doctors appointment to doctor's appointment. If it were up to me I'd stop taking anything for my allergies (I'm not really getting much better anyways) and never see another doctor again. It'd cut out 90% of my current worries right there.

Chaz has a theory though, we all have a pre-defined amount of worry we have to do, and even when we have nothing to worry about, we still worry the same amount, just about different stuff. //sigh

I agree. It's better to be busy and get the gears moving and worry... than sit around and do nothing and still worry about not doing anything productive with ourselves.

Oh another question: Do you ever feel so worn down its like your face is melting? I don't know how else to decribe it, I wonder how many of you can relate to that.
//feels like face is melting, falls over

I am going to say the following, and it's going to make me sound like a happy go lucky bubbly goody two shoes, but I am not; I. Love. Life.

In everything that it has thrown at me so far, I am grateful for everything. The harder it gets, the more excited I get, because I have a new challenge, and I am going to learn something new. I enjoy grinding against time and life, because it gives me experience and provides me with precious knowledge and insight that I couldn't have acquired otherwise.

I am the person that you see with scratches on their face and cuts and scraps on their legs with crazy messy and dirty hair, throwing their fists in the air and shouting "I fucking did it!" and they suddenly burst out in tears because they are SO tired but so happy too because they have yet won another battle. I have actually done exactly that, and my parents now think I am crazy. Oh well.

All this not to say, I have never felt helpless or tired or felt like I just want it all to end. I did, I have had my doubts many times, and I have thought of giving up even more times. However, the feeling does not linger for long. I usually eliminate my doubts with faith and knowledge and come back up on my feet pretty quickly.

You only live once, and I wanna get the most out of my lifetime. As simple as that I guess.

As far as getting things done is concerned, I simply keep a to-do-list. I have a PIM installed on my computer and it reminds of all the things that need to be done, all appointments I have, tests, quizzes, finals. All the whens and wheres I need to remember too. PIMs are a good investement for someone who is as forgetful as I am. :p

I largely feel trapped by it.

I feel almost as if I'm "stuck" in a weird place where I can't grow, and often have nothing to do, simply because I haven't applied myself as much as the majority of people. It's like the world is very much "all or nothing." You either take on all the extra stuff you need to get ahead, or you just do the bare minimum and find yourself in a dull place where all the decisions are made for you, and you rarely have anything to do. It's like they don't offer a reasonable middle ground where you can just take on some things but on others. They insist on giving you almost nothing, or giving you too much to handle. And of course, I would never take the second option due to my risk-averse nature. Never have, never will.

I was never trained or prepared to handle this modern world, where everything is dependent on social connections, and you have to be able to use your cell phone while doing other things, like driving, which is scary by itself.

I just expected to be able to find a job where I do something for 8-10 hours, and then go home. I don't like this messy thing that a lot of people expect now where you're on call 24/7, and expected to be committed, invested, innovative, and competitive. I literally can't cope with or even comprehend that world, and that's why I'm stuck off in a small corner of it with few options.

I do what I have to in order to get by, nothing more, and nothing less... that's always been my motto. They won't get me spending a lot of energy and pushing myself like an idiot. Certainly not unless they actually offer me something more substantial than vague, empty promises.

Last edited:
I largely feel trapped by it.

I feel almost as if I'm "stuck" in a weird place where I can't grow, and often have nothing to do, simply because I haven't applied myself as much as the majority of people. It's like the world is very much "all or nothing." You either take on all the extra stuff you need to get ahead, or you just do the bare minimum and find yourself in a dull place where all the decisions are made for you, and you rarely have anything to do. It's like they don't offer a reasonable middle ground where you can just take on some things but on others. They insist on giving you almost nothing, or giving you too much to handle.

I was never trained or prepared to handle this modern world, where everything is dependent on social connections, and you have to be able to use your cell phone while doing other things.

I just expected to be able to find a job where I do something for 8-10 hours, and then go home. I don't like this messy thing that a lot of people expect now where you're on call 24/7, and expected to be committed, invested, innovative, and competitive.
Yeah, and Extroverted. If you have a "real job" you have to be prepared for it to be the primary priority in your life it seems. If you dare have a life that isn't all about "living to work, working to live" you get a lot of people talking about your lack of commitment behind your back. Or they just fire you.

I decided I couldn't handle that and gave up on it. I don't want my entire life to revolve around my work.

I honestly think that people can make your life hard, not work.

Work can get done, but people...man, there are those out there that you just cannot deal with. From stubborns, to air heads, to cry babies, to uselessly argumentative ones. Too much of those can make your head explode.

People can make other people's lives difficult and miserable.

Yeah, and much of it is not intentional. Sometimes, it's cultural, personality differences, etc.

I decided I couldn't handle that and gave up on it. I don't want my entire life to revolve around my work.

How did you do that? Did you just find a job that wasn't a "real job," or what?

I honestly think that people can make your life hard, not work.

Work can get done, but people...man, there are those out there that you just cannot deal with. From stubborns, to air heads, to cry babies, to uselessly argumentative ones. Too much of those can make your head explode.

I have to agree with that. When I was in school, I was able to do all the work of 5 people on a group project easily. I just told them to let me to do all the work, and I'd let them have the credit for various parts. It kept my grades up in classes where a lot of people got slammed with low grades.

The problem is that in the real world, the credit is more important than the work. I'm good at doing work. I'm just not good at coordinating people and getting them to cooperate with me unless they're personal friends, or I'm paying them.

Last edited:
The problem is that in the real world, the credit is more important than the work. I'm good at doing work. I'm just not good at coordinating people, and getting them to cooperate with me . . .

I struggle with this as well, and it's my job to coordinate people. At the end of the day, everyone is responsible for themselves, so i'd rather be responsible for whatever work I need to do, than depend on someone else to do it. I'm not going to force anyone do what they don't want to do. Everyone is responsible for managing themselves. That's it.

Last edited:
How did you do that? Did you just find a job that wasn't a "real job," or what?
That, and taking a different role in life, like taking care of your other half, heh.

Maybe later I'll try the whole ordeal of school and career again, but not now and not soon.
I have to agree with that. When I was in school, I was able to do all the work of 5 people on a group project easily. I just told them to let me to do all the work, and I'd let them have the credit for various parts. It kept my grades up in classes where a lot of people got slammed with low grades.

The problem is that in the real world, the credit is more important than the work. I'm good at doing work. I'm just not good at coordinating people, and getting them to cooperate with me unless they're personal friends, or I'm paying them.
Credit stealer really piss me off, and the worst thing is its encouraged.

I used to be one of those individuals that used to hate life and found the world very scary to live in. But now, I'm getting sort of comfortable with who I am and what this world can bring me. I still get anxiety attacks and all sorts of weird things from who I used to be in the past, but thanks to my persistence and introspection of what exactly was making me so fucked up and depressed, I've grown to cope and be more grateful for the things I have.

Some people may think that I'm full of shit speaking like this, since most of my posts can be quite negative sometimes, full of sarcasm and existentialist garbage and that's because for a long time since I can remember, I identified with that state of mind. I felt lost and so disappointed with the world at large and always idealized of how I was going to save it. I felt so angry all the time and all I wanted to do was to crush everything around me. I may still do this from time to time but not because I really feel that way, but because it became a habit to be that person.

Life is a school, we come here to learn lessons. Each event should be seen as a potential teacher. When somebody is yelling at you, that person has the potential to teach you the virtue of patience. So you're enemies can become your source of growth sometimes moreso than you're friends. I guess it all comes to perspective, you decide what reality you want to see. If you want to see life as a scary place, then it will become that scary place.

I'm not preaching anyone here, since I will forget this myself from time to time. All I'm saying is that the only you have the power to feel secure and happy in life. Nothing outside can give you a permanent sense of safety and pleasure, it's all within.

I have a hard time waking up, but I thrive on challenges. If things aren't at least a little bit rough, I get bored and just want to sit on the couch reading all day. It's weird, but I need a little bit of chaos to light my fire, and then I don't want to stop.

Strange, but this is exactly what I was going to say, only this is worded more beautifully.

Yeah... I'm more the later, I like to sleep as much as possible lately. Life holds no purpose for me without a committed relationship. I'm sure that reveals some underlying psychological issue, but that's just the way of it for me.

I don't find happiness in mundane daily activities, I never have, really. Socializing is alright when I get a chance to do it, but that's maybe 2 days out of a month. The rest of the time I'm left to my own devices, and the result is an avid forum junky.