Life is Meant to Be Enjoyed | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Life is Meant to Be Enjoyed

yep, life is meant to be experienced and enjoyed more than striving and reaching. like a total immersion is needed in order to really get the gist of life. probably the best thing is to enjoy your own life on your own terms more than anything. too many people live carbon copy lives.

Although there've been plenty of other posts that have said the same thing as me, life really is whatever you decide for it to be. I've met people, and I'm sure you have too, that have decided that life is simply miserable and cannot be anything else. Whatever you decide it is, it is. If you believe life is an adventure, that is the way it will seem. If you believe life is against you, that is also the way it will seem. But to return to the actual question I can't be sure why life was made but at this point in my life it seems that it was made not JUST to enjoy but to be whatever we decided it was. If life was solely for enjoyment, I'm not sure anyone would ever be miserable.

Jung would make the case that life is about the process of achieving INDIVIDUATION

This process makes life an adventure that is unfolding in both our inner and outer world which brings meaning, direction, fulfillment, joy and wonder

I think he makes a compelling argument

I'm wondering if it can be experienced without judgement. :D

Reactions: invisible
Everyone is searching for two things…everything else is secondary IMO.
Love.
Acceptance.

You all can figure it out.

Ive thought about this and I think I can truthfully say that while acceptance is nice, I do not need it.
Love is a bit trickier. Im not sure how long I would last without it. I have family that I love and who for as odd as it may seem I know loves me. Without that, I am not sure how long I would survive. Sane anyway.

It's meant for you to do what you're meant to do. If you find joy in that, or not, it's secondary. Although i guess you'll find, at least satisfaction, when the job is done.

Last edited:
To learn to love without judgement. That is the focus.

I, too, think it is meant to be hard, but there is enjoyment in that.

As sure as you're over-enjoying yourself, you're bound to be fucking up someone else's day. Selfless enjoyment. Enjoyment in measured doses, so as not to detract from a purpose, such as child-rearing, which can absolutely be enjoyable when well-rested. :)

I find productivity to be quite worthy of relaxation and the reward of enjoyment.

Ive thought about this and I think I can truthfully say that while acceptance is nice, I do not need it.
Love is a bit trickier. Im not sure how long I would last without it. I have family that I love and who for as odd as it may seem I know loves me. Without that, I am not sure how long I would survive. Sane anyway.
I don’t know…you have to learn to accept and love yourself IMO.
In order also to truly love someone else you should follow step one, but you have to accept that other person as well first.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn87c901
I don’t know…you have to learn to accept and love yourself IMO.
In order also to truly love someone else you should follow step one, but also you have to accept that other person as well first.
Yeah. I dont know if theres something wrong with me or if my brain is configured incorrectly. Its difficult for me to believe/accept people "love" me. I do not see how or why. Its nit that I do not want that its just that I do not understand it. I guess its like anything though. If something is around long enough you get used to it, you notice when its gone and want it back kind of like a security blanket. I never had one but thats the best analogy I can come up with.
More contemplation needed and I am running out of time. Ha!

Yeah. I dont know if theres something wrong with me or if my brain is configured incorrectly. Its difficult for me to believe/accept people "love" me. I do not see how or why. Its nit that I do not want that its just that I do not understand it. I guess its like anything though. If something is around long enough you get used to it, you notice when its gone and want it back kind of like a security blanket. I never had one but thats the best analogy I can come up with.
More contemplation needed and I am running out of time. Ha!

Presence is a very powerful thing! Most of human communication is nonverbal. It takes some time for a child to learn that things persist even when not present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_permanence

The irony is that as adults we spend much of our time unlearning the supposed 'permancence' of objects and reflecting on temporality and balancing ever present change with the seeming order and semi-permanence of things.

No, I do not believe that life is meant to be enjoyed. If the main aim of living was enjoyment then most people would be failing at living most of the time. Life is just meant to be lived. It takes twists and turns and ups and downs, and there are many interpretations as to what our 'purpose' is, but enjoyment can only be a pleasant aside in my opinion, it can't be the main point of life.

Enjoyment can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Trials, tribulations, difficulties, challenges, and the overcoming of obstacles might not seem enjoyable to some, but for others they can bring equal parts frustration and joy when catharsis is achieved.

Why should stamp collecting be a fun and fulfilling activity? Some enjoy their work and others don't. Some like highly competitive activities and some don't.

I ask my grandfather every day if he had fun (blacksmithing) and he always says 'no,' but he works very hard doing what he loves.

I think life is about survival, to continue existing. We are not guaranteed enjoyment from life, but if given the opportunity, why not?

Enjoyment can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Trials, tribulations, difficulties, challenges, and the overcoming of obstacles might not seem enjoyable to some, but for others they can bring equal parts frustration and joy when catharsis is achieved.

Why should stamp collecting be a fun and fulfilling activity? Some enjoy their work and others don't. Some like highly competitive activities and some don't.

I ask my grandfather every day if he had fun (blacksmithing) and he always says 'no,' but he works very hard doing what he loves.

You ever thought about taking up blacksmithing?

You ever thought about taking up blacksmithing?

At times, yes. I'd be in line with my love of learning and I do enjoy learning from my grandfather, but I have no desire or drive to actually make anything.

At times, yes. I'd be in line with my love of learning and I do enjoy learning from my grandfather, but I have no desire or drive to actually make anything.

You'd likely mostly be doing repairs

Would be a pretty niche area these days and as a result you could get some very interesting jobs and commissions....could lead anywhere

Youngsters nowadays aren't so interested in the physical jobs...but that leaves the field open for those that are interested to capture the market

The older generation are leaving the industries now and the skills are not getting passed down

You'd likely mostly be doing repairs

Would be a pretty niche area these days and as a result you could get some very interesting jobs and commissions....could lead anywhere

Youngsters nowadays aren't so interested in the physical jobs...but that leaves the field open for those that are interested to capture the market

The older generation are leaving the industries now and the skills are not getting passed down

It does seem that way at times compared to the computer sciences, but I think these skills are quite alive and well in the mechanical engineering industry.

My grandfather's machine shop is impressive, but not quite on the same level as a high precision shop.

http://americanmachinist.com/features/many-parts-high-precision

He does seek my assistance from time to time. I last helped him recalibrate his metal lathe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_lathe

I have to agree that life seemingly “picks on you” a good portion of the time we are here alive.
If it isn’t one thing it’s another.
It all has to do with perspective and how like @Matt3737 said -
The irony is that as adults we spend much of our time unlearning the supposed 'permancence' of objects and reflecting on temporality and balancing ever present change with the seeming order and semi-permanence of things.

So true my friend!!
I woke up at 330 in the morning feeling like I had started this damn detox all over again…sheesh…my body needs a break, was having heart-palpitations all morning, VERY body-stress related…most PVCs are nothing to worry about and they happen randomly most of the time.
Then my perspective changed…I was reading some articles and came across an obituary for this guy -

[video=youtube;d5u753wQeyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d5u753wQeyM[/video]
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27025&page=122&p=812052&viewfull=1#post812052

He was my age…I am about to turn 38, and though I am wearing thin, and my body is so incredibly tired and in pain a good portion of the time…I have a LOT to be thankful for.

I have a beautiful, highly intelligent, handsome, thoughtful (I could go on), 11 year old son, who loves me how I am…who looks up to who I am, and that may change in the next few years but I’m not worried that our bond of love will ever break.
I have a comfortable place to live…much more so than that of the rest of the world in general…running hot and cold water…food in the fridge…some random collected pieces of furniture…some are garbage and some really cool and interesting.
I love that music is so readily available…music soothes me like nothing.
I have @Sensiko, which is also more than some can say…haha…she is gorgeous in every way to me, and so mentally, physically, and emotionally attractive to me.
One day, I hope to be able to repay half of all the wonderful things she has done for me.

Of course I could go on with this as well.
I still feel kinda shitty, but it’s nice sitting here typing with my shaky hands watching my Son play his Xbox game and my big ol Rottweiler sleeping on he floor between us.

Plus…
I am alive today, which is more than the estimated 56 million who die every year can say.
Not trying to be a downer…trying to change some perspective.

We find happiness within…not without.

Last edited:
It does seem that way at times compared to the computer sciences, but I think these skills are quite alive and well in the mechanical engineering industry.

My grandfather's machine shop is impressive, but not quite on the same level as a high precision shop.

http://americanmachinist.com/features/many-parts-high-precision

He does seek my assistance from time to time. I last helped him recalibrate his metal lathe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_lathe

Ah ok so when you say 'blacksmithing' you mean mechanised metal working?