Life is Meant to Be Enjoyed | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Life is Meant to Be Enjoyed

Ah ok so when you say 'blacksmithing' you mean mechanised metal working?
The modern blacksmith can use a lot of mechanized machines if I am not mistaken.

Ah ok so when you say 'blacksmithing' you mean mechanised metal working?

No, he has a machine shop with a forge, anvil, metal lathes, drill presses, grinders. He's mainly a knifemaker, but he makes tools, furniture, artwork and tries his hand at leatherworking as well.

Reactions: invisible
No, he has a machine shop with a forge, anvil, metal lathes, drill presses, grinders. He's mainly a knifemaker, but he makes tools, furniture, artwork and tries his hand at leatherworking as well.

Nice!

Ok i thought maybe there was some sort of trans-atlantic language barrier there over that term!

I know that machines can crank stuff out and can cut flawlessly to precise programmes but they can't breath soul into an object the way that a human craftsperson like your grandfather can

I think there is still a niche market for that sort of touch

So...ever fancied it?

Also i wonder what percentage of artisans are sensors v's intuitives and if they get similar things out of the experience

Last edited:
The modern blacksmith can use a lot of mechanized machines if I am not mistaken.

I wasn't sure if you guys used the term differently to us

I wasn't sure if you guys used the term differently to us
I think it’s still PC to say “blacksmith” here…haha.

Reactions: Skarekrow
[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

When you say 'mechanization,' I assumed you meant 'automated.' You're right though, it is mechanized and moving parts of the machines are typically motorized, but the machines are still hand-operated and the parts are hand-made. He doesn't use any computer controlled machines or automated machines.

@muir

When you say 'mechanization,' I assumed you meant 'automated.' You're right though, it is mechanized and moving parts of the machines are typically motorized, but the machines are still hand-operated and the parts are hand-made. He doesn't use any computer controlled machines or automated machines.

I know, i understand

Everyone uses machines of some sort

I was just trying to establish what is meant in the US by the term Blacksmith

When you first said it i had an image of your grandad hammering away in his forge. But then you said something about computers and i wondered if you had been talking about a high tech factory setting all along

But it sounds like your grandad has a really cool set up

I don't know anything about you or if you're already well into your own job and so on, but i wondered if you had ever thought of having a go with his tools, even just as a hobby?

I'm also kinda curious about how intuitives get on in the crafts and how interested they are in them, so i'm sounding you out out of curiosity

I know, i understand

Everyone uses machines of some sort

I was just trying to establish what is meant in the US by the term Blacksmith

When you first said it i had an image of your grandad hammering away in his forge. But then you said something about computers and i wondered if you had been talking about a high tech factory setting all along

But it sounds like your grandad has a really cool set up

I don't know anything about you or if you're already well into your own job and so on, but i wondered if you had ever thought of having a go with his tools, even just as a hobby?

I'm also kinda curious about how intuitives get on in the crafts and how interested they are in them, so i'm sounding you out out of curiosity

Here's a picture of him hammering at his anvil:

1915111_1097724291957_5799776_n.jpg

I find it very interesting and I love to learn all about it, but I've never really had any urge to create anything myself. I'm typically only hands-on out of necessity like when I need to do car repairs or maintenance.

Reactions: muir
Here's a picture of him hammering at his anvil:

View attachment 23047

I find it very interesting and I love to learn all about it, but I've never really had any urge to create anything myself. I'm typically only hands-on out of necessity like when I need to do car repairs or maintenance.

Ha ha that's great to see, thanks for sharing!

Yeah i sometimes wonder if intuitives have to shift a gear in their minds to get 'in the zone' with that kind of work...you know? Cos sometimes our minds are....out there.....but that kind of work needs a here-and-now kind of focus

It's my belief that when intuitives do get in the zone that they can be very good at such activities, but i think that for some types of sensors it can come more naturally to them (eg some types are called the 'artisans')

Nice!

Ok i thought maybe there was some sort of trans-atlantic language barrier there over that term!

I know that machines can crank stuff out and can cut flawlessly to precise programmes but they can't breath soul into an object the way that a human craftsperson like your grandfather can

I think there is still a niche market for that sort of touch

So...ever fancied it?

Also i wonder what percentage of artisans are sensors v's intuitives and if they get similar things out of the experience

I am still an amateur, but I do a lot of woodcarving in my spare time. Statues, figurines, reliefs, and household items, usually. Except for the last case, my productions are to embody a creative vision or idea. When stuff comes out like I want it to, I get a catharsis-like relief and sense of satisfaction because I have physically manifested something that has beforehand existed only in mind, and is, typically, very difficult for me to express verbally. As I practice more, I can mentally visualize more clearly that which I want to create and have an easier time entering a flow state that blocks everything from conscious awareness except the task and image at hand.

I am still an amateur, but I do a lot of woodcarving in my spare time. Statues, figurines, reliefs, and household items, usually. Except for the last case, my productions are to embody a creative vision or idea. When stuff comes out like I want it to, I get a catharsis-like relief and sense of satisfaction because I have physically rendered something that has beforehand existed only in mind, and, typically, very difficult for me to express verbally.

Wood is such a beautiful medium isn't it?

So many types and each with their own properties and character

When our forefathers walked around outside they looked at the world totally differently to us. They would pass a tree and see in it what that kind of wood could be for example they might use a specific wood to make a specific type of tool or to build with or to burn or they might be able to make something medicinal from it or soap or whatever

We've become so detached from all that and dependent on corporate production which is a shame because in a way it connects us to that greater whole when we interact with it in the way that you are

There are many things that we pour our energies into these days but i think making something is one of the more satisfying things to do. Also handling a tool that feels good to handle is immensely enjoyable....some tools feel in the hand as if they belong there from an old memory that goes back before our own time

Don't leave us in the lurch, niffer. Is life meant to be enjoyed?

This is the day that God has made, rejoice and be glad in it. Yeah I think God made us with the intent that we enjoy the lives we've been given, even if that is not the sole or primary point of our lives.

True or false, to you INFJs?

Others can answer too.

To me life is about gaining experiences.
Preferably positive ones, but both positive & negative experiences help one grow and experience things in a new light and thus negative experiences are not to be dismissed.
However, I prefer having positive experiences, as they bring me joy.

Thus for me the answer is true.

Last edited:
I don't know if life is meant to be enjoyed. What is the purpose of life? Why are we here? Why am I me? What is consciousness? Why are you, you?

I don't think there's any singular purpose.

I suppose, perhaps, life is just meant to be lived.

True or false, to you INFJs?

Others can answer too.

I don't even believe in enjoyment. It's a thing of looking for constant improvement in our lives. If we don't have that driving force, we stalemate and die. The only way for us to be happy is for us to be unhappy most of the time.

no! its not meant to be enjoyed! its meant to be suffered! if youre not suffering, youre not working hard enough! stop wasting time blissing out and get back to work!

honestly! people have no values! self pampered pleasure seeking blobs! leeches! it is truly shocking!

I think if you live long enough you'll learn to enjoy it.

Ecclesiastes 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
9 What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?
10 I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.
11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.
14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.
15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.
16 And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.
17 I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.
18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

King James Version (KJV)

Couldn't have said it any better than this.

Reactions: Y0u and invisible