"LGBT Suicide awareness, wear purple day" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"LGBT Suicide awareness, wear purple day"

I'm sure plenty of us did, and I'm sure you did at times as well.

Twice in fact, I couldn't forget if I tried, those instances are seared into my memory and thats all it took for me to realize that I couldn't ever stand by and watch ever again while I had the power to do something about it. From those 2 instances forward any time I saw such a thing happening I made it my business to intervene.

Awareness projects and goals are just that; special interest. This however, by no measure means that these people think all other instances related to what ever they are advocating are worthless and pointless. The thing is these kids committed suicide out of a reasoning specific to their sexual orientation. That is different than why other people commit suicide, and is why these groups are trying to shed light on it.

Yeah they may not find it worthless, but they certainly don't seem to care as much it would seem considering that they have a specific issue they want to address. When will they come out against suicide and bullying of all children why only suicide and bullying of specific children? If I started a group like they did specifically aimed at helping only heterosexual kids, I would be considered a beast and a jerk. Again, why would a group of people go to bat for kids who killed themselves over something like their sexuality why not just go to bat for kids who kill themselves out of fear of being different or outcast? Why only the gay ones? oh thats right, because its an issue specifically relevant to them. Like I said. What light needs to be shed, and on what? We know why they did it, gays have been getting the shaft (pardon the pun) for centuries, if anything its only gotten better for them in the last few 100 years, they aren't being burnt as witches anymore for one thing or dying in holocausts. And you are saying that their committing suicide over their sexuality is different over why other kids do it? you yourself seem to be saying that thats somehow more important in light of the fact that it really isn't, at least important enough to warrant more attention then those who killed themselves for less important reasons, like that they have drug addicted parents who hate them and are living in poverty and are utter outcasts. Words are meaningless, actions are all that counts, and by saying you're not saying its more important but then only addressing a very narrow swath of kids issues who do this, is kind of like ya know... not in tune with what you're saying.

To say that these people think 90% of other suicides happen because kids are "selfish little jerks" is stretching it... a lot. I would imagine that people who find LGBT suicide and bullying terrible find all kinds of suicide and bullying terrible. To say that all these people care about are themselves or LGBT suicide is very off-base, in my opinion.

Yeah it is a stretch, its a stretch to make a point, the point is that awareness rallies for gay suicide are sort of offensive in that it cuts out a huge swath of people who commit suicide for other reasons. They may find all bullying and suicide terrible, but they only find gay bullying and suicide worthwhile to do anything about... yeah, they see it all equally... it has nothing to do with their own sense of guilt or their own insecurities. My point is, apply shit equally and genuinely, or dont apply it at all.

Say what you want about awareness projects as a whole, but stating that these people only care about LGBT suicide and think all other suicides are committed because kids are jerks is such a foul ball.

In your opinion, I will admit I have a predilection for dramatic language, but to think that they see the non gay kids in the same exact light as they do the gay ones, is BS, plain and simple.

Yeah they may not find it worthless, but they certainly don't seem to care as much it would seem considering that they have a specific issue they want to address. When will they come out against suicide and bullying of all children why only suicide and bullying of specific children? If I started a group like they did specifically aimed at helping only heterosexual kids, I would be considered a beast and a jerk. Again, why would a group of people go to bat for kids who killed themselves over something like their sexuality why not just go to bat for kids who kill themselves out of fear of being different or outcast? Why only the gay ones? oh thats right, because its an issue specifically relevant to them. Like I said. What light needs to be shed, and on what? We know why they did it, gays have been getting the shaft (pardon the pun) for centuries, if anything its only gotten better for them in the last few 100 years, they aren't being burnt as witches anymore for one thing or dying in holocausts. And you are saying that their committing suicide over their sexuality is different over why other kids do it? you yourself seem to be saying that thats somehow more important in light of the fact that it really isn't, at least important enough to warrant more attention then those who killed themselves for less important reasons, like that they have drug addicted parents who hate them and are living in poverty and are utter outcasts. Words are meaningless, actions are all that counts, and by saying you're not saying its more important but then only addressing a very narrow swath of kids issues who do this, is kind of like ya know... not in tune with what you're saying.
So picking up a specialized interest in kids that were bullied for being homosexual and accosted with sexually derogatory and then committed suicide because of it is lessening the "worth" or "sadness" of other suicides? I'm sorry, that's asinine to me. It's like saying the groups that focus on the over-representation of black students in Special Education classes are detracting from the over-representation of English Language Learners in Special Education classes.

Yeah, starting a group for heterosexual suicide victims and their families that solely focused on only admitting heterosexuals would be discrimination because you wouldn't be focusing on a potential cause. These people aren't separating themselves because they are LGBT, but rather because that is the reason that led to their suicide. Are you missing that point? It's focused on LGBT kids because that is the cause. If your supposed group was for abused kids then it wouldn't be discrimination.

If you are saying differences don't matter (such as LGBT) issues then I don't know what you tell you except that it is a very ignorant way to view the world. Differences most definitely do matter. Their sexual orientation, their being different, is what led them to kill themselves. This by no means makes it any more important or pitiable, but to say differences don't matter is a backwards step in logic I simply cannot make. Difference=/=better or more important. If you cannot make a distinction between that then there is no reason for me to continue.

Yeah it is a stretch, its a stretch to make a point, the point is that awareness rallies for gay suicide are sort of offensive in that it cuts out a huge swath of people who commit suicide for other reasons. They may find all bullying and suicide terrible, but they only find gay bullying and suicide worthwhile to do anything about... yeah, they see it all equally... it has nothing to do with their own sense of guilt or their own insecurities. My point is, apply shit equally and genuinely, or dont apply it at all.
Yeah, and any sort of civil rights movement is offense as well....right? I mean Hispanic Americans in the south west in the 1960s and 1970s thought their over-drafting in the Vietnam War was the only important thing and thought the over-drafting of African Americans was pointless. They were being discriminatory for bringing their issues to light...correct?

In your opinion, I will admit I have a predilection for dramatic language, but to think that they see the non gay kids in the same exact light as they do the gay ones, is BS, plain and simple.
Of course they see them in a different light; they committed suicide for different reasons. You for some reason are connecting differences with superiority and greater importance.

when you type "i am gay and i" into google's search box, the autocomplete options are only two. one is "i am gay and i want a boyfriend", and the other is "i am gay and i want to die". this is just an interesting little factoid about the frequency of certain varieties of articulated voices on the internet.

Reactions: Bird and Soulful