Laptop problem | INFJ Forum

Laptop problem

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
I'm having a very bad day and one of the factors that has made it bad is my power adapter for my laptop got so hot at the tip that it melted and bended out of shape, thereby making it useless. After spending all day looking for a universal, I acquired one but it has the same problem. It gets burning hot. The universal I have reads current and so I know that I'm not drawing too much current, the fan seems to be working, and I keep it on a flat desk, so I'm not sure as to why it is having this problem.

Any ideas?

Change your mbti to HOT.

Problem solved.

I'm having a very bad day and one of the factors that has made it bad is my power adapter for my laptop got so hot at the tip that it melted and bended out of shape, thereby making it useless. After spending all day looking for a universal, I acquired one but it has the same problem. It gets burning hot. The universal I have reads current and so I know that I'm not drawing too much current, the fan seems to be working, and I keep it on a flat desk, so I'm not sure as to why it is having this problem.

Any ideas?

has it always gotten hot, or is it just recently?

Yes, I still think you need one. Also, clean dust from every part of the laptop you see. Those adaptors do get really hot, but melty hot is bad! Since it's happened more than once, I'm deducing it's your outlet/wiring. Now if it happens at your local coffee bar, then it might be a different problem.

I had one of my computers catch on fire on the inside. Lost everything, and it sucked. At least you're getting a heads up....

You want to be checking the amps, but it is probably a short in the internal PCB somewhere. If it is under warranty you need to get it looked at ASAP before you melt the internal PCB and potentially void the warranty. If it isn't under warranty, try to find an electronic guru that can bust open the laptop to check the incoming DC part.

I am not an electrical genius, but I think the adapter wouldn't necessarily be showing any symptoms if the short were internal to the laptop.

Is the socket loose or burnt? That can cause the problem and sometimes it can be solved by just buying the new socket.

Last edited:
Upon playing with it, it seems that when the battery is fully charged it doesn't get hot, and when the battery is being charged but the laptop is not being used it doesn't get hot. It only seems to get hot when the battery is charging and the laptop is being used.

I"m not sure what would cause this, my guess is it is drawing more current that it should when it is being used and charging, but at least now I know it isn't completely fucked.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Upon playing with it, it seems that when the battery is fully charged it doesn't get hot, and when the battery is being charged but the laptop is not being used it doesn't get hot. It only seems to get hot when the battery is charging and the laptop is being used.

I"m not sure what would cause this, my guess is it is drawing more current that it should when it is being used and charging, but at least now I know it isn't completely fucked.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
ah, then its probably the battery. how old is the comp? it could just be that you've over worked the battery, causing its resistance to go up. With equal current and higher resistance, the heat goes up. You may just have to replace the battery.

hmm, if the batter were 3-4 years old with almost constant use [meaning how much I use my comp], yeah, the battery would eventually die, but if its one year old... it could still be the battery, but that makes it that much less likely. Have you googled your problem? Someone with the same type of comp could be having the same problem, and maybe knows how to fix it.

What brand of laptop is it? Working in a PC repair store a few years back I saw this allot with HPs and Compaqs. What kind of warranty did you get? Extended Store or just Manufacturer?

What brand of laptop is it? Working in a PC repair store a few years back I saw this allot with HPs and Compaqs. What kind of warranty did you get? Extended Store or just Manufacturer?

Samsung. Manufacturers.