Jordan Peterson | Page 20 | INFJ Forum

Jordan Peterson

To me, it's a pseudomorphism something implanted from a Hebraic world which has little to do with the actual development of western cultural attitudes, imagination, and thinking not as much as the myth of the Dragon slayer does.

Are all historical spiritual inflection points pseudomorphs :thonking::looninati:

I love how you're posting this stuff like I don't know anything :tearsofjoy:

Carry on.

Reactions: Ok08Y567gA and aeon
To me, it's a pseudomorphism something implanted from a Hebraic world which has little to do with the actual development of western cultural attitudes, imagination, and thinking not as much as the myth of the Dragon slayer does.
I don't think this is a valid argument Yoh. We might as well say that homo erectus had little to do with the evolution of modern man because we actually came from a species of ape several million years earlier, and that is the real foundation - both are true, assuming the paleontology is right. Of course our culture is descended from lots of precursor cultures, going back into this mists of time, each one building on what preceded them. Like @Wyote says, every one is adapted from and built on its predecessors, and they are all rooted in a blend of predecessors.

As an aside :
I think it misses the point of religion when it is considered purely in terms of political, philosophical and cultural impact. We can think all we like and come up with a decision on what we think, but no amount of choice we make will determine whether Zeus, or god exists or not. We cannot make a god exist by choosing, nor can we stop one from existing by rejecting, or choosing an incorrect understanding - all we can choose is what to believe, and to understand that our choice may have all sorts of consequences if we choose to believe the wrong thing.

Approximately 2.4 billion are Christian worldwide and this why everything we believe about Christianity seems so self-evident.

I don't think this is a valid argument Yoh. We might as well say that homo erectus had little to do with the evolution of modern man because we actually came from a species of ape several million years earlier, and that is the real foundation - both are true, assuming the paleontology is right. Of course our culture is descended from lots of precursor cultures, going back into this mists of time, each one building on what preceded them. Like @Wyote says, every one is adapted from and built on its predecessors, and they are all rooted in a blend of predecessors.

You're misunderstanding my point. Pseudo morphisms have their own nature of organic activity like cultures; I don't believe Christianity has little to do with the evolution of western cultures quite the contrary I think it has been the most influential driver for the past 2,000 years, but like Jung does with the individual conscious, I segregate the cultural conscious into levels of social-ego, cultural-shadow, historical unconscious, and collective unconscious and, quite frankly, Christianity simply does not go as deep as Indo-European and Pagan cultural and mythological norms do. No, we cannot make the comparison, because cultures and genes evolve and mutate differently, cultures being much more sensitive and evolving with greater rapidity and influenced by a wider number of variables. I disagree, all cultures are distinct in their forms as evident in their art, religion, fashion, customs, values, language, and norms with general family resemblances being shared between cultures that have the same evolutionary lineage. Like all contemporary Indian and European cultures descend from Indo-Europeans such that it's myths, language, and conscious structures are embedded within these cultures and evolve in their forms and in phases overtime such that archeologist, geneticist, and linguist can reliably trace the Indo-European migration and spread around Euro-Aisa. For instance, the Crusades happened because Indo-Eurppean were warring pastoralist people, thus Europe has fought the bloodiest wars in human history and have a penchant for colonization like Indo-Europeans conquering and colonizing Euro-Asia, because again we descend from a group of conquering warring people which is why European Christians would wage wars against one another that were not observed in African and or Persia strands of Christianity, because cultures are fairly distinct, because they arise from stable breeding populations that emerged within distinct general geographical regions for about 30,000 to 10,000 years within a given local region like The Steppes. Your view is a gross over generalization. Our culture meaning our languages, art forms, norms, and myths descend from Indo-Europeans. The accurate analogy is that your ancestors stretch back to at least the early paleolithic but only the ancestors you've had within the last 1,000 years actually influence your genome, the way you look, your emotions, and behavior as can be reliably correlated with genetics. I think cultures have a 10,000 year influence band. I Like him and you, but @Wyote is inaccurate and you are inaccurate, not all stretches of time are equal in influence, and not all events are equal in influence, and not all predecessors bare the same level of influence on a person or a culture to think so is just an over generalization. For instance, even your genes aren't actually evenly shared by both sides of your parents' relatives, some genes are more dominant than others in your formation which is why you are generally different than your siblings if you're not a twin even though you share parents or the same set of genes. In fact, you look more like certain relatives than others because genes are not equal in their influence and propagation. Ultimately, European cultures come from Indo-Europeans, and this is where our greatest shared strengths and our greatest shared problems arise.

Last edited:
but @Wyote is inaccurate and you are inaccurate

giphy.gif

No, a pseudomorph is something that is adopted from another culture form that evolved in some region that's not local to the primary culture.

I didn't mean the word "all" in a totally serious way but ok you can keep being right about everything. Good job.

I didn't mean the word "all" in a totally serious way but ok you can keep being right about everything. Good job.
Are you being sarcastic? I want to be accurate, because I care about the dissemination of information and the truth. Not everyone or everything can be correct about complex matters, and someone needs to be. I love European culture and history and I'm not ashamed of it that's why I'm writing about this particular topic, not because I care about being right.

Interact with my argument and reasoning on this forum rather than my behavior when in a discussion of ideas, because that's productive where the latter is frustrating, because if I really wanted to talk about myself I would do so but given I'm talking about ideas regarding and reasoning about culture forms and history that's what I would prefer to talk about.

Interact with my argument and reasoning on this forum rather than my behavior when in a discussion of ideas, because that's productive where the latter is frustrating, because if I really wanted to talk about myself I would do so but given I'm talking about ideas regarding and reasoning about culture forms and history that's what I would prefer to talk about.

Why don't you interact with me like a human on a casual level because that's what I want :thonking:

Why doesn't it 'go as deep'?
Because European Christians fight wars from the 11th century to the modern period where they don't seem to have the problem of selling all of their possessions and living like Jesus and the Early Apostles. Coveting material wealth and being materialistic is something normal to Indo-European cultures and European Christians are pretty materialistic where wealth is something repudiated in the in the Bible. Even European Protestant Christians in particular Calvinist ascribe a solid work ethic and material wealth as sign of God's election. European Christians invent Alchemy and Natural Science and there are several campaigns by Christians like witch trials, the inquisition, and reformation to act as backlashes and repressions of Pagan beliefs and tradition reemerging. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel Movies, Lord of The Rings, Chucky, The Shining, Disney Movies, all feature heroes, creatures, themes, elements, and principals that come from Pagan and Indo-European religion and mythologies. Most of our most favorite and popular Holidays are Pagan in Origin that have been Christianized. In European culture we believe rebellion, innovation, and breaking away from tradition as things that can be good which is not a Christian ethic or value at least not as exemplified by The Bible. Also, More European people are becoming non-religious, because there is a pagan underneath that needs it's due, what is unconscious seeks to become conscious. There are more things, but it honestly depends on where and what you're looking at. Western art is filled with Pagan and Indo-European tropes, ideas, and archetypes.

Last edited:
Why don't you interact with me like a human on a casual level because that's what I want :thonking:
I do when in other settings, essentially when it's appropriate, and I don't when I'm talking about ideas generally, because the ideas take precedence in my mind when dealing in discourse on a given topic. The topic gets my full attention.