Jordan Peterson | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

Jordan Peterson

Typing JP is quite hard. Since he's laser focused on humanities (morality, psychology, faith etc.) and relies on patterns for explaining the world, I'm quite sure of NF part. The rest is tricky, further obscured by his medical condition (he's been on various drugs for depression and anxiety). Also he seems like a person who has managed to integrate his shadow and can give out unusual vibes.

Jordan is always very agitated about being truthful and authentic - this seems to be his driving force, so I would bet on Fi dominant. He also enjoys a good fight for the sake of ideals. Fe users try to avoid conflict unless it's to protect someone else. Then building one's argument about morality on lobsters is just so indicative of Ne thinking. He skips so many steps in the middle and leaves ST folks dumbfounded with "but.. but lobsters don't even have a central nervous system". So my best guess is INFP with strongly developed shadow Fe and Ni functions.

I am also surprised why people are so obsessed about finding faults and dissonance in his words. We all are full of conflicting ideas and half baked rationalizations. Expecting perfect coherence from a human being is just not realistic. For example, sir Isaac Newton was able to single-handedly create physics and at the same time was a firm believer in alchemy. JP being wrong or inconsistent in one field, does not write off his other spot-on ideas.

I don't see JP as being an NF as it is clear that he is the thinking type and not so much a feeler though the cost of stoicism and happenings of life nearly done him in.

Reactions: Ren and Reason
I don't see JP as being an NF as it is clear that he is the thinking type and not so much a feeler though the cost of stoicism and happenings of life nearly done him in.

NT with well-developed Fe. I think this is the best description of his type, whatever it might be.

NT with well-developed Fe. I think this is the best description of his type, whatever it might be.

He was an estj all along :tearsofjoy:

I legitimately don't understand how this dude is in any way controversial

Reactions: aeon, slant and Pin
It's the Trans issues.

Haha well yes, but my point is he's not hurting anyone and his logic is relatively sound.
I think people just don't fully understand where he's coming from there.

Reactions: Pin and slant
Haha well yes, but my point is he's not hurting anyone and his logic is relatively sound.
He's more moderate; so the extremely liberal types are going to want to apply postmodernist social justice warrior logic onto anything he says, particularly because he opposed it. Jonathan Haidt suffers from a similar fate.

Yeah I'm rather familiar with his work and his interviews....

The thing I find with Peterson is that he's got a cult of personality around him so it's basically pointless to debate.
Which book did you read? I rather like 12 rules for life.

Which book did you read? I rather like 12 rules for life.
Yeah. Read through some of it. Thought it was garbage and what wasn't garbage was just common sense. Really do not understand the cult like following he has managed to draw in some places. And that's the thing. If I try to make a point about him, I'll get swarmed by folllowers who will tell me I just don't get it or I'm taking him out of context or I'm just part of the libtard cancel culture. I started seeing people reference him a lot online so did a little investigating and watched a few YouTube interviews and talks.

Yeah. Read through some of it. Thought it was garbage and what wasn't garbage was just common sense. Really do not understand the cult like following he has managed to draw. And that's the thing. If I try to make a point about him, I'll get swarmed by folllowers who will tell me I just don't get it or I'm taking him out of context or I'm just part of the libtard cancel culture.
I think it's a different way of viewing the world/ different political beliefs. I also find that I don't generally agree with some of your political opinions. But that's okay and they still have the right to exist. I think the anger on either side is very destructive. I'm glad you took the time to read it before knocking it though, many people don't.

Reactions: Wyote and acd
I think it's a different way of viewing the world/ different political beliefs. I also find that I don't generally agree with some of your political opinions. But that's okay and they still have the right to exist. I think the anger on either side is very destructive. I'm glad you took the time to read it before knocking it though, many people don't.
I'm not really specific (at least lately I don't think) on my policy views other than disdain for Trump lol.

I'm not really specific (at least lately I don't think) on my policy views other than disdain for Trump lol.
That's fair; it just seems to me you often favor arguments that are about the greater good rather than focusing on preserving individual freedoms which is the opposite of what I generally favor. It's so hard to be without a political box these days and we aren't allowed to have nuanced views on anything. It sucks.

That's fair; it just seems to me you often favor arguments that are about the greater good rather than focusing on preserving individual freedoms which is the opposite of what I generally favor. It's so hard to be without a political box these days and we aren't allowed to have nuanced views on anything. It sucks.

I don't think that's the case for me across the board. I value individual freedoms. I'm not sure specifically what you are referring to though or how it relates.

But here I simply stated that Jordan Peterson was seen as controversial because he says sexist things. You didn't ask what I thought was sexist or why I might think that. Do you not see it in any of his work? Or his issues with transgender people? I admit I don't own his books and follow him super closely, but I was curious about him some time back because I started to see so many people following him and wanted to see what he was saying.

I think he writes some practical self help that isn't really anything I have found to be ground breaking. Maybe this is the gateway into his ideology. Seems parental enough at first. But then he gets into the whole men= order and women= chaos which I find problematic and regressive. There's more I could say but that's basically the gist of my original comment. Have you read more than 12 Rules?

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon
I don't think that's the case for me across the board. I value individual freedoms. I'm not sure specifically what you are referring to though or how it relates.

But here I simply stated that Jordan Peterson was seen as controversial because he says sexist things. You didn't ask what I thought was sexist or why I might think that. Do you not see it in any of his work? Or his issues with transgender people? I admit I don't own his books and follow him super closely, but I was curious about him some time back because I started to see so many people following him and wanted to see what he was saying.

I think he writes some practical self help that isn't really anything I have found to be ground breaking. Maybe this is the gateway into his ideology. Seems parental enough at first. But then he gets into the whole men= order and women= chaos which I find problematic and regressive. There's more I could say but that's basically the gist of my original comment. Have you read more than 12 Rules?
I apologise for generalizing your beliefs. The issue I was thinking of specifically was how to handle the coronavirus but I didn't go back and look at your posts so I may be mixing you up with somebody else.

Yeah sure I am interested in hearing your view. I have only read 12 rules for life and listened to all of his podcasts on Joe Rogan. I am actually working on book reviews for every book I've read, so when I finish that one I'll post it here with my insights.

Admittedly, I do have my criticisms of transgenderism. I think everyone has the right to identify as they want and I'll be respectful but the science seems to be mixed if say even a transwoman has unfair advantages over biological women in things like competitive sports. There's just a lot of legal things that have gray area.

I also tend to support some views that have been interpreted as sexist even though they're scientifically based, like the very real differences between men and women and their capabilities that modern society tries to brush under the rug.

So what I wonder is if I just don't find the same things you find sexist as sexist or transphobic

Reactions: acd
And the sexism.

I don't think he's sexist.
I also don't think he's transphobic.

But a lot of extremist narratives paint him that way.

Reactions: slant
Yeah, I think he needs to engage in more discussion/debate with people who disagree with him.

Reactions: Wyote and slant