ISTJ DRY-HUMOR | INFJ Forum

ISTJ DRY-HUMOR

mexymoo3

Aug 16, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
So I was thinking today (yes thinking!) and I finally realized why I just don't get my ISTJ husband's jokes... He has a very dry sense of humor.

Definition of Dry Humor: is humor told in a

You could always try getting a sense of humor.

I've been told I have a very dry sense of humor, and I'm an INFJ.

If it makes you feel any better though, I can rarely tell when someone is joking if it's delivered "properly."

I've been told I have a very dry sense of humor, and I'm an INFJ.

Me too! Dry humour is fun. If I'm comfortable enough with someone I'll do it...see if they get it. I like seeing peoples reactions.

Last edited:
ISTJs have a sense of humour?

ISTJs have a sense of humour?
Zzzing!

Oh. And. See uberrogo's advice. Don't take everything so seriously.

I'm curious though, what is your kind of humor? What makes you laugh?

Humor is pretty much a coping mechanism for those things in life that are harsh and traumatic. My mom was a paramedic and she and her friends (also paramedics) were pretty caustic about former patients they had.

When I asked her why, she said it was their way of detaching and coping, otherwise they'd be too emotionally invested and stressed out to do their job. Of course they treated the patients respectfully and really cared for them in their work, but the tasteless jokes after work were a coping mechanism.

Last edited:
Everything he says pretty much sounds serious and I can't differentiate when he is joking and when he is serious.

My INFJ father jokes this way. He's also a lawyer, which could be part of the reason people take him so seriously. He's always quiet, and when he does end up talking it's about politics or something serious. But he'll joke around, and people get confused when he is joking.

He'll say things to young people my age, my friends and shit, in a serious tone of voice

"Well, there was a dwarf at the door asking for you when you were away." He says it so seriously that one of my friends, ENFP, responded,
"What?! You mean, like, a midget? There was a midget looking for me?" And Wesley sounded all panicked. My dad has a straight face. Seriously, no emotion on it.
"Yes, he was looking for you. Said you were his only hope, something about looking for a cure,"
Wesley's eyes were big, he was all freaked out.
"Oh my god?! I don't know any short people. How does he know who I am?"

I had to step in and tell him that my Dad was joking, and Wesley was embarassed that he had been fooled.

It sounds silly at that level, but my father has devised all sorts of lies that I often excerise. He convinced a lot of his friends, adults in their 40's and 50's, that the holy trinity was going to be split into the holy quad to attracted younger people to the catholic church, they were going to add Colonel Sanders, from KFC, as the third one. Then you could drive up to KFC, have confessions to father Colonel Sanders, and pick up dinner as you go. Everyone believed him. They were skeptical 'Oh, you're just joking' to him and then he pulled out a fake article that looked convincing and had everyone fooled.

That kinda sounds like the type of joking you're talking about.

slant, your dad is funny.

I get in trouble a lot because of my sense of humor. My family just doesn't get it. Someone at my old job made an attempt to appeal to my sense of humor and bought me a birthday card with a bunch of old ladies on it. She was scared to give it to me because it was so not her. I really appreciated it.

HAHAHA poor your friend slant!!

I look dumb under the light of dry humor if I don't understand that its a joke...

Its not about not having a sense of humor. Everyone has preferences on that too.

Last edited:
Zzzing!

Oh. And. See uberrogo's advice. Don't take everything so seriously.

I'm curious though, what is your kind of humor? What makes you laugh?

Humor is pretty much a coping mechanism for those things in life that are harsh and traumatic. My mom was a paramedic and she and her friends (also paramedics) were pretty caustic about former patients they had.

When I asked her why, she said it was their way of detaching and coping, otherwise they'd be too emotionally invested and stressed out to do their job. Of course they treated the patients respectfully and really cared for them in their work, but the tasteless jokes after work were a coping mechanism.

hehe.
you do know that I was joking right? HAHAH

I dont know. I find strange things funny. I love ironic things or these sort of things. even if it happens to me. I will laugh at the how ironic my situation is for quite some time haha

Really? My ISTJ mother has a very slapstick, silly sense of humour, but I am the completely dry one.

Huh.

My ISTJ friend had the worst and corniest jokes. Some where so bad it brought group conversations to a stand still.

The situation in whole was funny though.

Last edited:
Did you know that people are more likely to believe false statistics if they end in 7?

I got told this the other day and I'm having fun :)

I have an ISTJ friend who I find really funny because of his dry humour (thankfully, I can pick up on it). My friend's dad (unsure of his type, maybe ENFP?) has this humour too and convinced the ISTJ friend that he was causing a bad atmosphere by being late ^^" It was interesting (and quite funny) to watch, but I had to give the ISTJ a hug afterwards because I felt bad for him XD

lol, based on posts, humor seems not to correlate with MBTI type, I suck at telling jokes, but I can understand most, even dry ones.

So I was thinking today (yes thinking!) and I finally realized why I just don't get my ISTJ husband's jokes... He has a very dry sense of humor.

Definition of Dry Humor: is humor told in a “dry” way, without emotion (e.g. seriously).

WITHOUT EMOTION???

Wow... and an INFJ is all about emotion and feelings. No wonder we clash at times, my goodness!!!

Everything he says pretty much sounds serious and I can't differentiate when he is joking and when he is serious. Also, if by some chance I could tell the difference, how can I deny the way I am wired (INFJ) by laughing at jokes that might be harsh and brash, without no emotion?
I'm just not sure I can overcome this barrier. Any suggestions??

I get you totally... my bf is ISTP and can be very sarcastic and we clash. I have a good sense of humor it's kinda witty actually, but funnier still is often times, I am the only one who thinks I am funny... well some others do, but they r enough like me to be in my strange and geeky headspace.

It is hard to overcome I agree. I am still struggling with this myself. Keep in touch if u have a break through!

He is always telling me I am so sensitive... he always says, "ahhh yes, INFJ's are all about emotion, sorry I forgot". You'd think after 2 yrs, he'd get it? ;)