Is the Confederate Flag racist? | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Is the Confederate Flag racist?

giphy.gif
I got white friends, so I'm not racist...
so many white friends...
too many...
...wearing hoods

Reactions: cvp12gh5
I got white friends, so I'm not racist...
so many white friends...
too many...
...wearing hoods

Time to move.

Reactions: ZcM4xzkjgzCjytBc
Symbolism is an odd thing. I kind of understand it but also kind of don't.
Thr other day I was trying to have a conversation with my brothers wife about the fact that the Nazis took a completely benevolent symbol and through it's use turned it into something that will ultimately be despised for the known future.
Some people will always associate the confederate flag in much the same way whether right or wrong.

Anyway for that conversation I was only trying to point out the symbol had a much longer history and meaning before the Nazis got a hold of it and that I did not understand how it was so easy to assign and change the meaning or words or symbols . She started to become visibly upset so I dropped it.

Last edited:
Thr other day I was trying to have a conversation with my brothers wife about the fact that the Nazis took a completely benevolent symbol and through it's use turned it into something that will ultimately be despised for the known future.
Some people will always associate the confederate flag in much the same way whether right or wrong.

Anyway for that conversation I was only trying to point out the symbol had a much longer history and meaning before the Nazis got a hold of it and that I did not understand how it was so easy to assign and change the meaning or words or symbols . She started to become visibly upset so I dropped it.
She was upset because you had a valid point.

Symbols do not make what they signify present. Flying a confederate flag will not bring back past history, but it shows that people can be different from their history, while still owning that history.

It's like keeping old teddy bears... It doesn't mean you are a child, but it's a reminder of when you were a child and the path from then till now.

Reactions: Eventhorizon
The confederate flag itself was not made to symbolize racism, hate, intolerance, etc. but I think anyone who believes that it is not linked to these behaviors is merely feigning ignorance.

Symbolism is important in today's society and many of us look to it in our search for meaning. It is a visual representation of our beliefs and/or the beliefs of the people around us. It guides us in our search for understanding one another and our enviroment. When someone wears a cross on a chain around their neck or carries around a St. Christopher's pendant, we understand that this person is most likely a member of the Catholic faith. No words needed. The object/symbol did the explaining. When you see a man wearing a yamaka, we know that he is a member of the Jewish faith. No words needed. When you see a swastika tattooed on a person's body or if they have it displayed in some way for people to see, your first thought is not "good". Your mind automatically goes to "Nazi". And nothing can change that. Yes, you can try to explain to people that a swastika was a symbol of peace before the Nazi's turned it into a symbol of hatred. And people will understand. But it still will not change the way they view it. Because that symbol was made to represent something negative at a significant point in history. It is an imprint that will not fade even with time.

So does it symbolize racism? It wasn't meant to be that way but, yes, it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze and CindyLou

I can't imagine anyone getting upset over what you just mentioned. I'm sure there is more to this conversation than you are letting on.

Reactions: acd
I can't imagine anyone getting upset over what you just mentioned. I'm sure there is more to this conversation than you are letting on.
There really wasn't. There you go being sure of something you were not a part of again.

There really wasn't. There you go being sure of something you were not a part of again.

I think it is fair to assume that your need to neglect facts and reality would bleed into other areas of your life.

I think it is fair to assume that your need to neglect facts and reality would bleed into other areas of your life.
These last two posts are the first ones I have looked at in more months than I can remember. With them I am reminded why so much time has passed which is nice because I won't have to remember why so much time passes again. It was nice though. Good for a couple of laughs for how long it lasted.

These last two posts are the first ones I have looked at in more months than I can remember. With them I am reminded why so much time has passed which is nice because I won't have to remember why so much time passes again. It was nice though. Good for a couple of laughs for how long it lasted.

Right. Well, if you can't take those two posts from little ole' me then I can't see you surviving for too long when SHTF. :)

when i was a kid visiting Ireland, a "fag" was a cigarette, nobody over there calls them that anymore. It is normal for words and symbols to change meaning over time, and when they acquire a vicious or hateful aspect it is almost impossible for it to be shaken.

As far as the flag of the confederacy, it was not until the civil rights movement that it got the exposure we see today.

Capture.JPG
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...erate-flag-civil-rights-movement-war-history/

when i was a kid visiting Ireland, a "fag" was a cigarette, nobody over there calls them that anymore

We do in England.

British slang for "cigarette" (originally, especially, the butt of a smoked cigarette), 1888, probably from fag "loose piece, last remnant of cloth" (late 14c., as in fag-end "extreme end, loose piece," 1610s), which perhaps is related to fag (v.), which could make it a variant of flag (v.).
fag (n.1) - Online Etymology Dictionary
www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fag

Reactions: Scientia