Is it possible for 2 Si parents to spawn 2 Ni children? | INFJ Forum

Is it possible for 2 Si parents to spawn 2 Ni children?

DoveAlexa

Chaz's Lovey Bunny
Donor
Mar 5, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Alright so is it possible for an ISFJ and an ISTJ to produce an INFJ and INTJ? I ask because this is my family set up, parents and children respectively, excluding my half sister who is IFJ of some type. Its pretty solid that my mother is ISFJ, and my Dad's middle name is anal retentive so ISTJ seemed to fit the bill. Though is it even biologically possible to produce 2 Ni doms from Si parents? Is it possible enough to happen twice? I know the alternatives of a parent not being Si clears this up, but let us think on the question anyways.

Yes. Pretty sure it could happen and has happened in the case of you and your family.

I mean 2 brunettes can have blonde children.

I can't go into complex theories (genes, nature vs nurture, childhood memories, outside influences) because I don't know much; but I think it's very possible. It depends on how well you both accept your parents' aspects of personality, and how well they show it to you.

Do you reject some (or most, or all) of your parent's teaching? Do you find something wrong with their actions and beliefs when you're young? How do they show it to you? How well do you receive them?

From personal experience, part of my upbringing was driven by my rejection of my ESTJ father's beliefs (mainly; overreliance to money, and moral ambiguity) and rejection of my ENFP mother's beliefs too. If I were to accept their beliefs, I would grow up differently (best guess ; ISTJ / INFP)

For another example, parents who are cold and detached towards their children could make another cold child, or a child that tries to be warm and compassionate so they 'escape from their parent's shadow'.

But your MBTI is destined from birth, not something you create through upbringing. What is the reason you ask me about that then?

But your MBTI is destined from birth, not something you create through upbringing. What is the reason you ask me about that then?

It's not all destined from birth, even if it is Ni could simply be recessive. Your Si parents could have the Ni gene but the Si dominated it. Yet you and your sister were ulra lucky and recieved a double Ni helping.

Anyway I was always told that if you want to know where you come from you should look at your grandparents.

Grandpa on maternal side was definitely a very badly developed and angry ISTJ. Grandmother, dunno, probably Fe type, always quiet, bad cook but great baker. Paternal grandmother is Si no doubt, but I think she's an E type, the way she can prattle on XD. Grandfather on that side might be an N, he's quiet and thoughtful but use to be described as set in his ways and "cantankerous". Same word people use to describe my Dad from time to time, so I guess maybe another S. Grandpa is always being picked on by my grandma :(, if that says anything.

In my childhood I wasn't a rebel. I rebelled from my peers, not my parents. My family wasn't religious so there was no "BS dodging" going on in my life so that could be why. I was mostly always bothered by how damn serious my mom and dad took things that don't matter: like I would get screamed at for spilling a little splash of milk, to the point where I'd be made to cry. In my life alone, I never saw a tad of spilt milk as anything to get screamed at for, you just clean it up and try again next time.
My sister always rebelled, but there was nothing to rebel against, we had so little rules, all of them common sense. Its just because my sister is a colossal bitch always trying to be whatever some boy wanted her to be.

Hmm, I personally believed it's a mixture of both, hence me asking it.
Perhaps the process itself is the same from birth, but the traits from which it manifested can be different from time to time.
Someone told me that MBTI (in terms of personality) is quite fluid until maturity, and especially fluid in puberty.. If only I can find the source. >_<

Grandpa on maternal side was definitely a very badly developed and angry ISTJ. Grandmother, dunno, probably Fe type, always quiet, bad cook but great baker. Paternal grandmother is Si no doubt, but I think she's an E type, the way she can prattle on XD. Grandfather on that side might be an N, he's quiet and thoughtful but use to be described as set in his ways and "cantankerous". Same word people use to describe my Dad from time to time, so I guess maybe another S. Grandpa is always being picked on by my grandma :(, if that says anything.
Hmm. What traits do you think you have from them? It's interesting to check traits from grandparents, but there are cases when children ended up following their grandparents instead of parents for some reasons.
In my childhood I wasn't a rebel. I rebelled from my peers, not my parents. My family wasn't religious so there was no "BS dodging" going on in my life so that could be why. I was mostly always bothered by how damn serious my mom and dad took things that don't matter: like I would get screamed at for spilling a little splash of milk, to the point where I'd be made to cry. In my life alone, I never saw a tad of spilt milk as anything to get screamed at for, you just clean it up and try again next time.
My sister always rebelled, but there was nothing to rebel against, we had so little rules, all of them common sense. Its just because my sister is a colossal bitch always trying to be whatever some boy wanted her to be.
Just saying that rebelling from peers can also affect one's personality. Especially if you put a lot of focus in it.. *glances aside* Also, I believe being rebellious is one traits of Ni so in some ways, both you and your sister can develop Ni that way.
The spilt milk is part of Si; To see something done right in a specific, proven way. And it's more often shown in the small stuffs.

Last edited:
But your MBTI is destined from birth, not something you create through upbringing.

Studies into personality development consistently report that about 50% of personality is inherited genetically, and the other ~50% is developed in response to environmental factors.

If only VH was still here, he'd have a brainscan to show us and everything!

I only rebeled from my peers because I was never able to do something someone told me to if there wasn't a damn good reason for it. As most pop culture falls far outside that, I just ignored it, did not participate. I was always like this. I've always felt very Ni Fe, even as a little kid. It qualifies as a rebellion but it wasn't a forceful one. My traits for it were already established then.

This is such a cop-out but it's true: anything's possible.

Last edited:
I remember reading about one study that concluded that introversion is highly heritable, thinking/feeling and judging/perceiving moderately heritable, and intuition/sensing not heritable at all.

I remember reading about one study that concluded that introversion is highly heritable, thinking/feeling and judging/perceiving moderately heritable, and intuition/sensing not heritable at all.
Yes! This is what I was looking for.
That is really really interesting, considering the brain-area related stuff VH was saying about Ni. That Ni was linked to use in the area that connects the two hemispheres, but the area that uses Si is no where near it, and not attached. Just made me think it was divided so sharply that one couldn't create the other, the lack of science for MBTI notwithstanding. I've always considered the difference between S (especially Si) and N to be the biggest in MBTI.

How can you ask if it's biologically possible when we don't know the basis for genetical inheritance of cognitive functions?

As it stands there's room for speculation because genetics is complex enough, and with varying factors involved such as recessive traits, it's entirely possible.

I seriously don't understand why people consistently make inquiries like these; your genotype is a result of a much wider pool of traits than just your parents. If you were really going to trace the genetical origins of your type you would need a lot more genealogical data.

How can you ask if it's biologically possible when we don't know the basis for genetical inheritance of cognitive functions?

As it stands there's room for speculation because genetics is complex enough, and with varying factors involved such as recessive traits, it's entirely possible.

I seriously don't understand why people consistently make inquiries like these; your genotype is a result of a much wider pool of traits than just your parents. If you were really going to trace the genetical origins of your type you would need a lot more genealogical data.
I asked because I can
And I did
There.

I was mostly always bothered by how damn serious my mom and dad took things that don't matter: like I would get screamed at for spilling a little splash of milk, to the point where I'd be made to cry. In my life alone, I never saw a tad of spilt milk as anything to get screamed at for, you just clean it up and try again next time.

I think that Ni becomes a mechanism for children who feel the need to anticipate other's actions to protect themselves (whether physically or emotionally). It could explain why two S parents producted N children. Your environment might have played a deeper role in creating a Ni function because it was important to anticipate your parent's reactions to given situations. I think really strong Ni happens to some kids because they learn at a young age the world is a dangerous place and Ni gives you an edge in protecting yourself.

Reactions: Inquisitive
I think that Ni becomes a mechanism for children who feel the need to anticipate other's actions to protect themselves (whether physically or emotionally). It could explain why two S parents producted N children. Your environment might have played a deeper role in creating a Ni function because it was important to anticipate your parent's reactions to given situations. I think really strong Ni happens to some kids because they learn at a young age the world is a dangerous place and Ni gives you an edge in protecting yourself.

I grew up in both a physically and emotionally dangerous household
and the only person who has ever mentioned anything about my Ni
was Odyne and then she doubted that.

Agreed. In this sense Ni is very useful reading Si (the norms) implicitly.