Intuitive Feelings About People | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Intuitive Feelings About People

I often have many intuitive feelings about people and situations. Most of the time they turn out to be correct, but as an INFJ I am left with a lot of turmoil and inner-conflict over whether this is some sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy on my part, or if I really am as good of a people reader as I might imagine.

It really isn't fun and can make me somewhat paranoid about opening up to others.

I wonder... Is there anyway to REALLY KNOW whether it is self-fulfilling prophecy or uncanny insight?

Yeah, I read people. It's hard to explain that to other people though; I find it difficult not to sound condescending when I "know" why people do things, because there's really no way not to. People just make sense to me.

In an interesting twist my INFP friend linked me to their version of this thread and I noticed some subtle differences even though at first glance it seems the same. For instance we're talking about "reading people" and they're talking about "seeing into people".

After discussing with my friend if there really was a difference, and if so what it was, we came to the conclusion that it's like this: INFJs are more in tune with the why, and INFPs are more in tune with the what.

So while an INFP's intuition will tell them if someone is interested in someone else, an INFJ's intuition will tell them why what someone is doing indicates interest in someone else. To put it more simply it's the difference between "I know what they are feeling" (INFP) and "I know why they are doing". (INFJ)

Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

Makes sense to me :D

In an interesting twist my INFP friend linked me to their version of this thread and I noticed some subtle differences even though at first glance it seems the same. For instance we're talking about "reading people" and they're talking about "seeing into people".

After discussing with my friend if there really was a difference, and if so what it was, we came to the conclusion that it's like this: INFJs are more in tune with the why, and INFPs are more in tune with the what.

So while an INFP's intuition will tell them if someone is interested in someone else, an INFJ's intuition will tell them why what someone is doing indicates interest in someone else. To put it more simply it's the difference between "I know what they are feeling" (INFP) and "I know why they are doing". (INFJ)

Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

I'm pretty sure I'm an INFP, but I would come down on the side of "I know why they are doing (feeling?)." Of course, I can't speak for other INFPs or INFJs for that matter. I know I tend to be as analytical as I am empathetic.