Introvert vs. Extrovert vs. Ambivert | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Introvert vs. Extrovert vs. Ambivert

Ambivert does not exist, you can't look outwards and inwards at the same time.

I was going to say the same thing. Sure some people can fill both roles, almost equally, but there is always one more natural from the start, and the other is learned from other factors.

Yes of course it indicates the dominant function. Ambivert is a term used to describe people who have both introverted and extroverted tendencies, which everyone does based on circumstance.

Ambivert is a misunderstood term, and this is where people are getting mixed up. It is impossible to be split exactly and it is impossible to be both simultaneously.

I think we are looking at it from different angles. When you look at people's actions then yeah there is a continuum. What I think is important though is how people actually feel about making those actions, and to me that is not ambiguous.

Actually the I and the E are to indicate whether your dominant function is extroverted or introverted.

Forget energy and all that bollocks, I get energy from what I eat. If your dominant function is Ni, then you're introverted, if your dominant function is Fe then you're extraverted etc.

HAHAHAHA

There is no such thing as Na, Fa, Ta, Sa. Therefore there is no such thing as ambivert.

Yes Everyone can be considered an ambivert in the sense that they have traits from both I and E. Actually an ambivert is a person who falls inbetween the two dominant, so it is like a codominance.
It comes from ambivalence - torn between two.
An ambivert can be e.g. reserved and/or a loud exhibitionist in any given situation. And these opposing courses of action go with the ambivert everywhere.

Jung proposed ambiversion for a reason, because people fall can fall inbetween. As such they are 'an ambivalent group' with mixed strong introversive and extraversive tendencies. So actually they do exist.

You are all silly, everyone is an ambivert. It's more rare to find a total introvert or extrovert. Ambiverts are everywhere. The I and E is to indicate which side a person leans, and everyone leans toward one or the other, with enough scrutiny.
Says you!

How can you "tend" towards opposites? It's not about how well developed your functions are (behaviour) but a natural inclination. If you say you have no natural inclination, I would suggest that you just aren't aware of it yet.

To be an ambivert would be a very confused individual. How do you perceive and judge at exactly the same time?

I view the dominant function as an operating system (like windows), and the other functions as programs (a game for example) you may be able to run your game (secondary function) really well, you may think, "this game is great! equal to windows, codominant even." The program may be so great you don't even give the operating system any thought (this happens often, the dominant function is so entwined in who they are that they don't conciously recognise it), yet without the dominant the other would be redundant.

Last edited:
How can you "tend" towards opposites? It's not about how well developed your functions are (behaviour) but a natural inclination. If you say you have no natural inclination, I would suggest that you just aren't aware of it yet.

To be an ambivert would be a very confused individual. How do you perceive and judge at exactly the same time?

I view the dominant function as an operating system (like windows), and the other functions as programs (a game for example) you may be able to run your game (secondary function) really well, you may think, "this game is great! equal to windows, codominant even." The program may be so great you don't even give the operating system any thought (this happens often, the dominant function is so entwined in who they are that they don't conciously recognise it), yet without the dominant the other would be redundant.

You do have a point, but it is a generalisation that the scores of introversion and Extroversion equal. Within this score, given the situation an ambivert may be introverted and then extroverted in another, but alltogether it sums up to be Ambivert. This is because one is not more leaned towards another side than the other. I am a slight extrovert (ENFP) but as the difference is so low, I chose Ambiversion so that there will be no missunderstandings or questioning on why I may seem like an introvert at times. There, I explained myself =)

Actually you are correct about ambiverted ones being confused/frustrated. Just think of what the original word is: Ambivalent - torn between two opposing courses of action.
In the case of e.g. me as an ANFP, it only means that I am ambivalent in my processes, Intuition and Feeling. That I will use Fe, Fi and Ne, Ni. So basically there are four main ones instead of two, so yes of course it will be confusing.

You do have a point, but it is a generalisation that the scores of introversion and Extroversion equal. Within this score, given the situation an ambivert may be introverted and then extroverted in another, but alltogether it sums up to be Ambivert. This is because one is not more leaned towards another side than the other. I am a slight extrovert (ENFP) but as the difference is so low, I chose Ambiversion so that there will be no missunderstandings or questioning on why I may seem like an introvert at times. There, I explained myself =)

Ah I see, that makes more sense, ambiversion as a description for someone who is close to middle but actually has a slight preference. The thing is there may be any number of reasons why someone may behave introverted or extraverted, that's why behaviour and "seeming" are irrelevent, with the functions what is most important is a natural inclination, even if this natural inclination isn't reflected in behaviour. This is why tests are only useful as an initial guide, as your natural inclination doesn't always show up in your behaviour or even your test answers due to interference from outside sources (cultural roles and norms etc.). MBTI is only an indicater, the goal is to find your true (pure) type, how you truly are when free of all external forces. This is why I think it's very hard to accurately guess the types of others, your true type may even be hidden from yourself under layers of social conditioning.

Actually you are correct about ambiverted ones being confused/frustrated. Just think of what the original word is: Ambivalent - torn between two opposing courses of action.
In the case of e.g. me as an ANFP, it only means that I am ambivalent in my processes, Intuition and Feeling. That I will use Fe, Fi and Ne, Ni. So basically there are four main ones instead of two, so yes of course it will be confusing.

Could you give me examples of how you use both intuitive and feeling processes before any others? Are you sure you're not interpreting your Ne as both Ne and Ni, when it's really just Ne being versatile? Same goes for Fi/Fe. If you are just taking that from test results, I believe that functions can interfere with each other when answering a question, for example; questions asked to determine Fe can be answered positive by Fi as it's the F which counts, poor test design probably, hmmm it's hard to explain this part, hope it makes sense.

Ah I see, that makes more sense, ambiversion as a description for someone who is close to middle but actually has a slight preference. The thing is there may be any number of reasons why someone may behave introverted or extraverted, that's why behaviour and "seeming" are irrelevent, with the functions what is most important is a natural inclination, even if this natural inclination isn't reflected in behaviour. This is why tests are only useful as an initial guide, as your natural inclination doesn't always show up in your behaviour or even your test answers due to interference from outside sources (cultural roles and norms etc.). MBTI is only an indicater, the goal is to find your true (pure) type, how you truly are when free of all external forces. This is why I think it's very hard to accurately guess the types of others, your true type may even be hidden from yourself under layers of social conditioning.

Could you give me examples of how you use both intuitive and feeling processes before any others? Are you sure you're not interpreting your Ne as both Ne and Ni, when it's really just Ne being versatile? Same goes for Fi/Fe. If you are just taking that from test results, I believe that functions can interfere with each other when answering a question, for example; questions asked to determine Fe can be answered positive by Fi as it's the F which counts, poor test design probably, hmmm it's hard to explain this part, hope it makes sense.

I think that you may be correct, but initially it is about psychological developement and understand of the self right? I always think about how and why I behave a certain way, and I will often go 'aaah thats extroverted of me or the other way around'. Sort of like constant introspective awareness. Sometimes in retrospection as I cannot always be aware.

This is very brief examples, I am more complex haha.

Anyway when it comes to Intuition:
Ni is that I foresee how I will fail my exams or be hated by someone without anything indicating it in my present environment.
Ne in my case would be that I observe, get a picture of what can be and therefore I act.

When it comes to Feeling:
Fi is when I feel the importance of something, like something that I can feel is really significant
Fe, will be trying to please everyone around me and adapting to them.

AS you can see N and F work alot together, like no wonder if I use Ne and Fi in a given situation (ofc this is not chosen, it just happens) - it may seem completely strange to e.g. ST's.

I'm an introvert in general but I can be quite the extrovert around my few really close friends. Also, one of my good friends told me that I come off as fairly social sometimes so I appear to be an extrovert at times, but in reality, I feel like I'm a true introvert at heart. There's a lot about me that nobody knows but me.

Syzygy from chat!

This is syzygy, he is the silent observer, heed his words for he's a person of few!

:welcome:

He lurks in the shadows of the chatroom, but then! ...he reveals himself.

Welcome to the forum.

Someone lik Carl Jung must have realized that between the pairs he set up, there are people who are going to be quite equally balanced and move from one to another according to innate accuities of the moment?

From Wiki:

Ambiversion
Although many people view being introverted or extraverted as a question with only two possible answers, most contemporary trait theories (e.g. the Big Five) measure levels of extraversion-introversion as part of a single, continuous dimension of personality, with some scores near one end, and others near the half-way mark.[7] Ambiversion is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups.[3][8] An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd

Thus is born the Ambivert.

Last edited:
mayflow: No, the problem of opposites is an essential concept in Jung's psychology. As Jung said, "there is no consciousness without discrimination of opposites."

Someone lik Carl Jung must have realized that between the pairs he set up, there are people who are going to be quite equally balanced and move from one to another according to innate accuities of the moment?

What Szygzy said, same idea, different theory, the difference is in small details littered throughout.

mayflow: No, the problem of opposites is an essential concept in Jung's psychology. As Jung said, "there is no consciousness without discrimination of opposites."

Who is saying that opposites is a problem? So I see your argument that discrimination of opposites is consciousness, and maybe in fact it indicates a higher evolvement of the functions of "awareness" - this is where the super ego kicks in, because in it's awareness of the opposites, it is still in freedom land and not bound by them. This is what the Tibetans call "BLue Sky Mind"

What I'm saying is that in Jung's system, there wouldn't be any true "ambiverts", because an equal amount of introversion and extraversion reflects a lack of discrimination of opposites, as both of them are "fused" together. From what Jung says, one of them would have to take the secondary position.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that in Jung's system, there wouldn't be any true "ambiverts", because an equal amount of introversion and extraversion reflects a lack of discrimination of opposites, as both of them are "fused" together. From what Jung says, one of them would have to take the secondary position.

So you might have the appearance of ambiversion, but would actually be one or the other, however subtle that difference may be.

I have done a lot of thinking on this and have decided on a distinct line between Introversion and Extroversion.

Extroverts = Being social causes them to be more happy.
Introverts = Being happy causes them to be more social.

I know it sounds obvious but it's about which is the cause and which is the effect.

Thoughts?

Last edited: