Insanity | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Insanity

Insanity is the state of being unhealthy. in its original sense it was not at all limited to mental health.

I question my sanity quite a bit, but I tend to use Birds definition of insanity. If one can interact with the generally agreed upon reality, and separate their imagination from it, they are probably insane. Also, the truly insane often do not think that they are insane.

I'm not schizophrenic, but I definitely think I have some weird brain chemistry. I get into weird disassociative moods at times, my vision goes and walls start "breathing", I get weird halluncinations/flashbacks, and things like that. It's all generally very mild, and I can continue to interact with the world, but my "changes of consciousness" didn't start until about 2 years ago, and I believe they were self "inflicted."

The padded walls are comfy but the pills don't taste good!

The padded walls are comfy but the pills don't taste good!
I'll trade you two chewable purple ones for your one giant yellow one!

I'll get Tonto to bite you first!

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but Tonto is just a figment of your imagination.

*steals purple pills and takes them along with giant yellow yellow pill*

*Bites MF*

*imagines himself flying through the sky with Indiana Jones and the sleuths from Tailspin*

*NAI actually bites himself*

My idea of insanity is not being able to identify the agreed upon reality of the whole from the reality that you know.

It's this. It's when your own reality starts taking over everything and you become so paranoid and delusional to the point where you can't even control your mind anymore, so it blocks all external input.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRTB-wwmuQ"]YouTube - Steve-O Pads[/ame]

Last edited:
I've questioned my own sanity before, but I didn't really know what to do in the event I was insane, so I don't really think about it anymore.

At least it's not as futile as questioning the validity of reason using reason to gauge whether it's reasonable.

How do you define insanity? What differentiates sane behavior from insane behavior? And have you ever (seriously) questioned your own sanity?

Insanity/sanity is only a state of mind. :D

Seriously though, I think when you can no longer function with *anyone* or take care of your personal needs without needing help (or outside guidance)...or if you can no longer communicate effectively with anyone, then your behavior could be considered insane.

I used to question my sanity until I met someone who truly was insane. There's a huge difference.

Trust me, you don't want to try to communicate with a truly insane person who doesn't want help...

Insanity is a necessary social disease establishing yet another form of culling the unfit from the species. It is the war between the individual and the entirety where the individual loses.
Think of it this way:
To remain in balance one must have equal and opposite emotions pushing against one another. The truly "sane" person would be centered, a state of nirvana. It is such that the inherent instability of mankind's emotions predisposes the individual to conflict with the masses who have the input of all the conflict simultaneously. Obviously, the state which leaves the greatest equilibrium amongst the people will be the accepted disposition.
When the individual undertakes the struggle against the whole and is defeated then the result is types of insanities. I say insanities because one definition seems preposterous. Just as there are many types of intelligences, states of consciousness, and expressions of emotion so must there be many types of insanities.
Defeat occurs with the removal from society because of a state corresponding to an inevitable tendency to assist in the destruction of emotional balance. While trying to preserve its existence there is a loss of touch with the others which undermines the ability of the insane to keep relations with the whole. Each emotion trying to preserve its own existence loses touch with the other emotions and undermines the individual in his relation with the group.

"He who the gods want to destroy they first make mad."

Interestingly, I can only see the success of the individual in their conflict against the whole as the creation of genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexocuha and bamf