INFJ's how do you feel about going to concerts? | INFJ Forum

INFJ's how do you feel about going to concerts?

nosferatu

Community Member
Sep 27, 2014
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Would you prefer to listen to the music at home in solitude, or are concerts fun for you? How do you feel around a bunch of people moshing and what-not?

I don't like concerts much. My friend used to take me to see groups and I only went just for her. The only concert I went to on my own will was a Lacuna Coil concert, but I have to admit I would still rather listen to them in solitude.

I absolutely love live music, especially female singers for some reason.

I've been to festivals, big venue standing gigs and smaller venues as well as being seated in large arenas.

I have to really, really like the artist to endure the big standing ones and I've come to feel the same way about festivals since it's a similar setup.

Seats are usually cramped so, again, I have to really like the artist. Smaller venues are much like a busy bar and sometimes are a busy bar so I'm fairly uncomfortably adjusted to that environment anyway.

Terrified. so many people in one place...

I went to babymetal in kohl though x).... it was pretty damn awesome!
they really create a good atmosphere there and I actually felt recharged instead of drained when I left :)

Can't really say the same for many bands though :(

I prefer to listen music at home or on my mp3/phone.
I don't need solitude for that though if the company is good ^^

I prefer to listen at home. If I was in a place where people started moshing, I would leave. I don't get it. I don't even get the concept of paying to hear someone sing live while surrounded by a crowd of people. Not a fan of crowds. Anxiety and annoyance kick in with a quickness and I would have to escape (leave).

I love all types of music, but I have never liked one artist enough to even consider going to a concert. Don't think I would even if I did. I can do music at home or in my car.

Reactions: phoenixrisen
At home without exception. Way too many people.

Nope, concerts aren't for me. Too much people at the same place, nightmare for a person with social anxiety. I love to listen music, but mostly in solitude at the home when it's peaceful and quiet around me.

Well, I'd have to say it depends. I like live music, especially a band I am passionate about. But I also hate crowds. And I also don't like it when there aren't enough people in attendance, like at a small coffee-shop live music night, because I feel like the band is watching me and expecting me to respond to them a certain way.

When I think of a "concert", I think of a large show, like an auditorium with hundreds or even thousands of people. For me to go to that, I have to absolutely love the band on like a spiritual level. If that's really what you mean with the thread topic, then there's probably only a handful of bands that are both big enough to have such a show and that I'd also go see.

But if the show is at small bar or dance club, I'm usually less demanding on band as I feel less stress with the crowd, and I feel like I can kind of relax and be invisible among all the people. It's less about the specific band and more about just live music while I'm concentrating on other things, like conversations with my friends, people watching, or just drinking. I've been to this kind of show many many times and usually enjoy it or at least don't hate it.

But as the venue shrinks, the importance of who is playing goes back up. I've been goaded into going to live shows for local bands just because I knew some of the band members, and I've never enjoyed it. Instead, I feel like I'm the performer, trying to look like I'm enjoying the music and enthusiastic or whatever.

For me, I think there are two types of musical performances: bands that I can worship, and everyone else. And that makes the biggest difference in whether I'll go out to see them live.

I LOVE live music! I go to concerts every few months. I don't mosh, find it kinda dumb, but some bands I see do have those people about. I just try to avoid the pit and have fun regardless. I even go to many concerts by myself - mostly cause no one else to go with or like the same artists...

I like concerts. The last one I went to was last month and I went to a neo-baroque classical music concert played by Latin American musicians. Whoosh, mouthful. But yea, it was awesome.

I mainly prefer solitude. I have been to one concert in my life, a Rush concert, and while I truly enjoyed the music and the atmosphere, I left feeling more anxious, paranoid, worn out than I would have liked. Too many people and too much going on (especially relating to the senses) for me to be able to relax and enjoy myself and the music. I have quite sensitive hearing (as in I have exceptional hearing and loud environments are not fun for me) so by the intermission everything was mixed together and I couldn't really enjoy the listening experience as much as I would have liked to.
Rush in concert is fabulous though and you should see them if you get the chance, the Neil Pert drum solos are out of this world. Seeing the world's best drummer live is totally worth it!

Side note: I have been to a multitude of live sporting events in my life (upwards of 30, including NFL, MLB, and MLS/FIFA) and while I enjoy myself, I know that I prefer being by myself or in a small crowd of like-minded people instead of in a stadium with 50k+ other people.

I can assure you: People do NOT "mosh" at performances by the Cleveland Orchestra. :D

I listen to a lot of music at home. I can switch genres at will.

Well, I'd have to say it depends. I like live music, especially a band I am passionate about. But I also hate crowds. And I also don't like it when there aren't enough people in attendance, like at a small coffee-shop live music night, because I feel like the band is watching me and expecting me to respond to them a certain way.

But as the venue shrinks, the importance of who is playing goes back up. I've been goaded into going to live shows for local bands just because I knew some of the band members, and I've never enjoyed it. Instead, I feel like I'm the performer, trying to look like I'm enjoying the music and enthusiastic or whatever.

I totally get this feeling as well and went to see a lot of 'friends' in bands.

I do both. At home is the utmost freedom. At concerts (EDM) my friends must be at the front so I'll get there and feel out of my comfort zone because I'm around people with that live for the moment energy. After it cools off, I dance up a different kind of vibe.

I scream, mosh, sing, dance and fool around like a maniac. I'm embarassing to be around. Depending on the mood/genre of the concerts, obviously.

I've done it before with the moshing and stuff... not a fan. One big part of it is that I'm a small person and have to REALLY be aware of where I end up. At one point at a music festival we were in a tent for this night show and it was so packed that people started pushing around and the band actually stopped to tell people to make room because they were afraid people would get crushed against the stage. It was also so hot in there because of all the bodies that I could hardly breathe and it was very difficult to get out because people weren't moving. Passing out and getting trampled was a real danger at that point.

Would you prefer to listen to the music at home in solitude, or are concerts fun for you? How do you feel around a bunch of people moshing and what-not?

I don't like concerts much. My friend used to take me to see groups and I only went just for her. The only concert I went to on my own will was a Lacuna Coil concert, but I have to admit I would still rather listen to them in solitude.

I have been to only a few, as I dislike crowds. I will normally sit or stand where there is space, especially towards the back or near exits. The biggest concert I had been to was U2 several years ago. Free tickets with a guy friend, the production was spectacular but it sounded lousy - not crisp and clear which was my expectation. It was probably because we were sitting at the side. The following day I went to a much smaller venue and got to see the Descendents (missed out on NOFX!) and I absolutely loved it! Local bands playing in pubs / bars are good once-in-a-while experience as well, feels much more intimate as there are less people, but I end up feeling weirdly self-conscious as if feeling that I was the only one watching. Really prefer listening to music on my own terms on my iphone.

I don't like all the drunk stoned folks, but as soon as my band comes on I am Euphoric. I don't need alcohol, I don't need drugs. The live music & adrenaline will have me screaming, singing, clapping & dancing for hours. The crowd doesn't even exist & I want to be right there in the pit by the stage.

Reactions: invisible
It's easier to go if I'm onstage playing than if I'm in the audience. Not with any famous bands or anything, it's just a lot easier to deal with packed houses unless it's a very special artist.

I love it if the energy is right. Depends on the venue, too. I don't mind being in a crowd if the vibe is electric or really low key, depending on the music. I have done the mosh pit thing but it doesn't interest me anymore -I am not so angry as I used to be - and somehow it seems undignified.

Reactions: seira0807