Questingpoet

Not Afraid to Use His Beard
Donor
Sep 11, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From what I have read, you can't reliably type yourself using the MBTI test until you are at least 16 years old. Even then I think we all know it and you can still change. We are all in flux and mood affects the test results as well. Taking all this into account, I would like to discuss MBTI typology and children. A few observations from me on my children, then a few questions.

My oldest is 15 and took the test. She came out as ENFJ and right now I think that is a pretty good fit for her. She's very altruistic and pleasant. It seems to have pegged her.

My 12 year old son has not taken the test, however I strongly suspect him to be an INFJ. He is an "I"-type for certain and displays a lot of characteristics I did at his age. He loves reading and musical instruments. Shuns contact sports. Keeps his thoughts to himself. He's hard to read but seems to size up people pretty well. I talked to my mom today and asked her if I was like him at that age. Exactly she said.

Here are three questions on this subject then:

Do our parents help determine our type either genetically or through observed behavior?

Can you successfully type someone at an earlier age then 16? Say 12, or maybe even younger?

Does birth order play any part in shaping your type like some other personality theories say?

BONUS QUESTION: Do INJF children bond more with their mother or their father--and why?

Can you successfully type someone at an earlier age then 16? Say 12, or maybe even younger?

Not all kids, and maybe not even many kids, but I believe there are kids with/for whom this is possible.

Do INJF children bond more with their mother or their father--and why?

I'd say type doesn't have bearing on which sexed parent a kid feels more comfortable with.

I would have to say our personality is predisposed by certain genetic factors, and that in a way parents can influence the personality of their children. This are only but a few factors, and in the end is the individual who ends up shaping his or her personality.

I believe so, there are certain traits that are shown by children early on. I have always known about my introversion, have always spent time alone since I was little and I enjoy it. I loved being in my own world and imagination which made teachers believe I was autistic. Other aspects however, are harder to determine and get shaped as we grow. Other traits that we might have had as children might also diminished though I think there's always some sort of imprint.

I am not very informed of the theory, but there has been psychological studies that state this is true. It all has to do with the role we are sort of expected to play. This is like the Feeling/Thinking bias in gender. It is not to say however that this is always the case.

Personally I am not an INFJ, but I can relate in a sense. I would typically get a long better with my mom during my younger years, but that might be due to the fact that my dad was absent a lot of times. As children, we look up to certain people and my mom was one of those. As I grew older I started noticing our massive differences. This also happened once I got to know my dad. As a child I was very reserved which often conflicted with my parents desire to get me out into the world.

Be on the look out for the displays of the dominant function.

Do our parents help determine our type either genetically or through observed behavior?

Studies consistently show that roughly 50% of our personality is inherited genetically, and the other 50% or so is developed in response to our environment.

There are studies suggesting that the younger you are, the more fluid your personality is. So whilst you might be able to succesfully "type" a young child, there's a chance they won't stay that type for very long.

Does birth order play any part in shaping your type like some other personality theories say?
The evidence is much more mixed on this topic. Some studies say "no", some say "yes". Personally I think one of the more convincing theories out there right now is that birth order does affect expression of personality, but only within the family unit - once a person steps outside that unit they can often behave quite differently. As Raccon Love said: "It all has to do with the role we are sort of expected to play."

BONUS QUESTION: Do INJF children bond more with their mother or their father--and why?
No idea. =P

It really depends. I would say you possibly could if they were a family member. I have sucessfully typed my 13 year old cousin as an ESFP, before she even tested as one. Her father is an ESTJ and her mother is an ESFJ, so I think it could be partially genetics and partially behavior.

You probably shouldn't try typing people below 11 or 12 because as previously stated, their personalities and emotions are in the beginning or midst of puberty, and therefore, rather difficult to type. However, you should possibly determine their NF, SF,NT,ST...etc at around that age because I believe that those develop first.

All great info and interesting thoughts guys, thanks!

According to some theories children tend to use their top 4 functions about equally for the first 5 or 6 years, and then focus heavily on their dominant until close to puberty, their auxiliary in their early teen years, their tertiary in their older teens and twenties, and their aspirational around the time of the midlife crisis.

Some argue that your top 4 functions are genetically determined but the order of their preference is heavily influenced by the environment. If so, an INTP could have turned out as an ENTP, ESFJ, or ISFJ if raised differently. The preference for introversion or extroversion shows high heritability though, so more practically the choices might just be INTP or ISFJ. There is apparently no sign of heritability of S or N preferences.

I suppose it may be true to some extent, as I was considered a very friendly (High Fe) child until I was about 5. In my older childhood years I tended to be rather cold. I tend to think that I rushed though the other stages a lot faster than predicted though, and at age 22 am now a stage ahead of schedule, working on my Fe instead of Si. (Actually I remember reading somewhere that INTPs often mature faster than most types and that Fe development can be triggered by the nostalgia of one's senior year in college. Our extroverted cousins the ENTPs by contrast often lag way behind in the process of maturation, and in their mid 30s may still be were most types are at 20.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Questingpoet
There is apparently no sign of heritability of S or N preferences.

There was a study done a while back comparing the MBTI and the Big Five model, one of their findings was that the MBTI's Sensing/Intuition dichotomy correlated "Strongly" with the Big Five's Openness factor. Other studies have shown that said Openness factor follows the same basic degree of heritability as any of the other personality factors (~50%).

Another interesting observation I have noticed in my own little control group here (aka my kids) is that they seem to act very similar when interacting with each other but their "types" come out when we are out or they are interacting with the world. Their "mask" of sorts?

Having learned much about my type over the past year, I look back at myself as a child and can definitely see that some INFJ traits I have had going back as far as I can remember.

We probably experiment with other behaviors as we grow up by copying those around us, but ultimately settle back into our given type.

I would have to say our personality is predisposed by certain genetic factors, and that in a way parents can influence the personality of their children. This are only but a few factors, and in the end is the individual who ends up shaping his or her personality.

I think genetics do play a roll in how we behave.

My Step-Son has had literally no contact with his biological Father since he was about 18 months old.
He will be 21 in January, and I came into the picture when he was 8.
His Mother over the years has told me on numerous occasions that he exhibits many of the same personality traits his bio Father has.
By the same token he has picked up on some of mine, though they don't seem to be as hard wired in his make up.

Last edited: