INFJs and Vegetarianism | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

INFJs and Vegetarianism

[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION], the stuff you're saying about meat farming competing with resources for plant farming is not factual. The meat animals have to eat too, and their food does not come out of thin air. Basically, we ARE competing for the same resources. Meat farming consumes more energy, land, and water resources than plant farming. It's less sustainable for the planet.

Last edited:
[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION], the stuff you're saying about meat farming competing with resources for plant farming is not factual. The meat animals have to eat too, and their food does not come out of thin air. Basically, we ARE competing for the same resources. Meat farming consumes more energy, land, and water resources than plant farming. It's less sustainable for the planet.

The OP asked what peoples thoughts were about it. And those are my thoughts.
I'm not here to discuss why I should or should not be a veggy.
My thoughts are what they are. And in the end it still comes down to megacorporations. ;)

This discussion reminds of a discussion I heard about this book http://www.amazon.com/Some-We-Love-Hate-Eat/dp/0061730858 It's fascinating really, our complex relationship with animals.

For myself I am not vegetarian, but I am "flirting" with it by trying to have meatless days once or twice a week and seeing how it goes. Its a combination of health and ethical reasons for me.

The OP asked what peoples thoughts were about it. And those are my thoughts.
I'm not here to discuss why I should or should not be a veggy.
My thoughts are what they are. And in the end it still comes down to megacorporations. ;)

I did not say that you are not permitted to share your thoughts.

No part of what I wrote made any suggestion of whether or not you should be vegetarian.

What I wrote was a response to a rather substantial part of your post about meat and plant farming together being better for the planet than plant farming alone, due to the notion that there would be greater competition for resources if we only farmed plants. This notion is flawed.

Megacorporations are not relevant to whether meat farming is good for the environment.;)

I was a vegetarian for about one year or so, when i was 14. I quit red meat on and off again, i don't eat chicken, but eggs i do. I intend to become a full time vegetarian again in the near future.
There are enough ethical reasons to do so. But proteins was the problem, i had a few medical situations that made the transition difficult, like feeling dizzy, headaches, colon related stuff (stomach aches) and too much sugar on blood (i resorted way too often to sweets when hungry). I had to quit that stuff at one moment, my body was very resistant to the diet, oh yeah, and i was pretty clueless of most supplies, so that wasn't smart. For protein i ate mostly beans, lots and lots of rice.

Oh yeah, and dealing with the some smartass idiots (why are you a vegetarian? hey do you know that we evolved because of eating meat??) Sheeez, it was funny though.

Last edited:
I did not say that you are not permitted to share your thoughts.

No part of what I wrote made any suggestion of whether or not you should be vegetarian.

What I wrote was a response to a rather substantial part of your post about meat and plant farming together being better for the planet than plant farming alone, due to the notion that there would be greater competition for resources if we only farmed plants. This notion is flawed.

Megacorporations are not relevant to whether meat farming is good for the environment.;)

hunting for meat would not req. additional land to keep stock.
Megacorporations also tend to overproduce which causes a large percentage of meat to not be sold and end up spoiled. same goes for veggys.

If food production was more localized, people would be more inclined to produce the amount they need to sustain themselves rather then to over produce. If you've ever worked at a supermarket you will know how much food is thrown away because it reached an expiary date. Same shit goes for restaurants. If you look at small towns in harsh places such as in alaska, you will see that no meat is wasted.

Meat does not have to be farmed in such quantities either. There are plagues of boars in lots of countries because mankind has driven out their natural enemies. Instead of keeping pigs in cramped quarters people could opt to hunt, unfortunately megacorporations produce larger quanities for lesser costs by over producing. This means that small time people cannot get their meat and produce to market and neither can hunters.

Meanwhile these corporations keep expanding to meet demands in all industries because they pushed out the little guys with their lower prices. These corporations are also the ones who use the largest amounts of poisons on crops that are partly responsible for the huge amount of deaths in bees, which are needed to pollinate crops and wild vegitation. They also are the ones pushing for GMO crops, which have their own negative impacts on the environment as lots are poisonous to insects. Since there are less bees a larger portion of the crop is less effective and additional tools/machines need to be made and aquired to take over this pollinating function, untill then this loss is simpyly countered by vaster amounts of land.

So I would say megacorporations are very relevant as they are the biggest distortion to our ecology, and have the biggest impact on the quality of life sustained by the animals that make people go veggy in the first place. My notion only seems flawed because our entire planets system of life is being vastly distorted right now. The web of life is vast and interconnected, things might seem small and irrelevant but they are not. I welcome you to disprove my thoughts by calculating how much meat and produce spoils and is lost on a global scale, and how many acres of land these requiered to produce.

Last edited:
hunting for meat would not req. additional land to keep stock.
Megacorporations also tend to overproduce which causes a large percentage of meat to not be sold and end up spoiled. same goes for veggys.

If food production was more localized, people would be more inclined to produce the amount they need to sustain themselves rather then to over produce. If you've ever worked at a supermarket you will know how much food is thrown away because it reached an expiary date. Same shit goes for restaurants. If you look at small towns in harsh places such as in alaska, you will see that no meat is wasted.

Meat does not have to be farmed in such quantities either. There are plagues of boars in lots of countries because mankind has driven out their natural enemies. Instead of keeping pigs in cramped quarters people could opt to hunt, unfortunately megacorporations produce larger quanities for lesser costs by over producing. This means that small time people cannot get their meat and produce to market and neither can hunters.

Meanwhile these corporations keep expanding to meet demands in all industries because they pushed out the little guys with their lower prices. These corporations are also the ones who use the largest amounts of poisons on crops that are partly responsible for the huge amount of deaths in bees, which are needed to pollinate crops and wild vegitation. They also are the ones pushing for GMO crops, which have their own negative impacts on the environment as lots are poisonous to insects. Since there are less bees a larger portion of the crop is less effective and additional tools/machines need to be made and aquired to take over this pollinating function, untill then this loss is simpyly countered by vaster amounts of land.

So I would say megacorporations are very relevant as they are the biggest distortion to our ecology, and have the biggest impact on the quality of life sustained by the animals that make people go veggy in the first place. My notion only seems flawed because our entire planets system of life is being vastly distorted right now. The web of life is vast and interconnected, things might seem small and irrelevant but they are not. I welcome you to disprove my thoughts by calculating how much meat and produce spoils and is lost on a global scale, and how many acres of land these requiered to produce.

You talk big, but then you will happily turn around and eat hot dogs, which is like the most commercial meat product ever. It's easy to blame corporations for everything and just go on doing whatever you want to do, but the exact place they get their money and power from is people who don't care enough to change their behaviours dropping cash directly into their pockets. Yes, there are problems with mass plant production too. You can wish all you want about a better world, but in the current food market, consuming meat products is not the more resource-sustainable decision.

You talk big, but then you will happily turn around and eat hot dogs, which is like the most commercial meat product ever. It's easy to blame corporations for everything and just go on doing whatever you want to do, but the exact place they get their money and power from is people who don't care enough to change their behaviours dropping cash directly into their pockets. Yes, there are problems with mass plant production too. You can wish all you want about a better world, but in the current food market, consuming meat products is not the more resource-sustainable decision.

I'm sorry but im going to play your own game now.
There is no factual knowedge linking to research reports and well referenced articles from reputabe sources to disprove my thoughts in your posts ;p
Honestly man I just came here to share my thoughts since the OP asked people to share their thoughts on why they're vegetarian or not.
I gave my thoughts, now I'm gonna stop posting here as this is going offtopic. If you wanna continue this take it to pm and bring your own facts.

I'm sorry but im going to play your own game now.
There is no factual knowedge linking to research reports and well referenced articles from reputabe sources to disprove my thoughts in your posts ;p
Honestly man I just came here to share my thoughts since the OP asked people to share their thoughts on why they're vegetarian or not.
I gave my thoughts, now I'm gonna stop posting here as this is going offtopic. If you wanna continue this take it to pm and bring your own facts.

It is on topic.

You can post your thoughts, but you must realise that this is a discussion forum. It's where people talk about things. You can't expect people to refrain from responding to things you post on a discussion forum. You can expect it if you write your thoughts in a diary.

It doesn't even matter whether or not everyone was vegetarian, because that is never going to happen. You make it sound like you're doing some sustainability favour to the world by consuming meat, but you're not, because the world has plenty of meat eaters, all eating up meat that requires greater resources to produce than plants. Do plants emit methane?

You say every little detail matters as part of the greater whole, but you say it doesn't matter what you eat because you can't control anything. Which one is it going to be? Are you a part of the greater whole, or are you exempt? You blame huge corporations for everything that is wrong while you give them money in exchange for the worst products that they stand for.

It would be great if the world was the fair place you describe! But it's not! Things are not what they should be in the world! We just have to try to make the best decision possible in the circumstances!

Some people are fond of saying stuff like "I don't want to be a rabbit". Vegetarians aren't rabbits, they're human beings with diets that are a lot more varied and culinary than rabbit diets. Not that there's anything wrong with being a rabbit, but we have vastly larger brains than they do, and we have the ability to do things for reasons. It's like what you said about it being natural to eat meat. Since when do we have to do things just because they're natural? Why are you sitting at a computer rather than subsisting in a hovel in some impenetrable forest?

Eat it! I'm not stopping you!

I grew up in a vegetarian household. Both of my parents are allergic to pork and turkey meat, so it was an easy decision for them.
I started eating meat when I was around 12-13 years old. My parents were supportive, and didn't object to it at all.
I decided to go back to vegetarianism in high school, because meat started making me bloated and slow.
I've eaten meat these last 3 years, but I'm considering becoming a vegetarian again. I'm scared that I will start eating a lot of chocolate to compensate for meat, but I don't know.

I don't feel strongly about the moral reasons for why people quit eating meat, I think that everyone should do whatever they want to do and eat what they want to eat. I'm just concerned with health.

(I count = 10)

I was brought with little meat, I never enjoyed it. I made the decision of going fully vegan 8 or 9 months, I don't really know. I live with my grandma of 93 years old, so when we go on visit, very rarely I will it whatever they cook. I don't to upset her as she wouldn't understand my decision.
I gained weight little by litttle, because I had lost my appetite before going vegan and I regained it but a lot bigger, now I'm getting back to my weight slowly. I went vegan both for health and ethical reasons.

I apologise Artisan - I am off my rocker, and need a little forum holiday.
When you get back, you will probably get a laugh at my wtf thread in admin suggestions and feedback. Have a look at it. Vive la Revolution Invisible.
*Oh, and your pm box is apparently full.. although it's probably to do with the Banning thing.

Last edited:
I'm not an INFJ and I at meat. A lot of meat.

.....I'll see myself out.

[video=youtube;r3xDiLg6V0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xDiLg6V0Y[/video]

Over the past year and a half, since going vegetarian, I’ve noticed that my dreams are much more vivid and that there are actually lessons in them. I no longer feel tense about situations that could be considered stressful like I used to. When eating plants and fruits, you are basically eating metabolized light. When I was consuming the meat of animals that had been cooped up, abused, etc., I naturally felt more tense, angrier, and stressed.

I wish that I would have seen the “would you kill a puppy for $1,000,000” thread earlier in my life. It would have forced me to observe my own cognitive dissonance that Invisible has been pointing out. I would have said that I wouldn’t kill a puppy for any amount of money, but I would pay $5 to say that it’s ok for millions of other animals to be tortured and abused and then consume its burnt, torn up dead body. I’m actually a hypocrite because although I tried to go vegetarian once, I couldn’t stick with it until my body just said ‘no more’ and I got sick whenever I tried to eat meat.

In the end, eat whatever your nature tells you to eat. If it makes you sick or stressed, don’t eat it. If you like it, eat it. What we eat composes these physical bodies – just eat whatever you want your physical body to be composed of.

Reactions: PintoBean
I am vegetarian mostly because it's easier for me, gives me an excuse to splurge on fruits and vegetables, and I don't miss the meat. Variation is crucial to attain the necessary vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, but it's been quite well worth it for me. Although these books are more centered around a vegan diet, "Super Immunity" and "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman have a lot of empirical backing (except for the China Study, which has since been shredded to pieces) and explanation for why fruits/veggies are so important and which do what for us. The author can be dogmatic at some points, but, IMO, his data are solid and his recommendations helpful. Definitely recommended for folks interested in any flavor of vegetarianism, or plant-based nutritional information in general.

but comic sans tho...

but comic sans tho...

c8d0368e6dfd8ed4cd6f95ea8d4e1897.jpg

Reactions: ZcM4xzkjgzCjytBc

Trust me on this. Just because a company is a Fortune 500 it doesn't mean that its remarkable in any way. I did not know this until 3 years ago but ...yeah apparently you can be abysmal and be a fortune 500 company.

I apologize for leaving my post incomplete. Whether you are INFJ or not, what are your thoughts about being/becoming a vegetarian? Saying it doesn’t matter is still a valid response :)

I've been vegetarian or vegan most of my life. It is hugely important to me.
I kept asking my mom if I could be veg when I was little, and when I was a teenager, I made the change without permission. I do not view animals as "food". The other evidence about climate, pollution, economy, human rights, and big-business only adds to veganism being the right choice for me.
I think my personality type influenced this decision due to the way INFx people feel empathy and the hierarchy we give it in our lives.
My INTJ SO reads and watches information about veganism (without my influence) often and lectures people about it, but still eats meat because it is not practical for him to make that change. I'm not exactly OK with other people eating meat, but I accept it, and don't bother them about it.

I've never had health issues due to veganism. My doctors say the opposite - that I am healthier for it - and I look younger than I am, too.

I don't talk about it, except with other veg/vegans and people interested in the lifestyle. I get really negative reactions.

Reactions: PintoBean