INFJ's and phone conversation? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's and phone conversation?

Meh. I only let those people I wish to talk to have my number in the first place. I rarely call anyone but don't mind talking when they call me. I keep my circle very small and don't mind being disconnected from most everyone else.

This is soooo funny! I thought i was a real oddball for this one,apparently not so..! I DESPISE talking on the phone.I mean really hate it.I don't have many friends,so thankfully i don't need to that often,but,i will literally go weeks without calling even my mother,because of this phone aversion.Small talk does nothing for me.I find it annoying and mentally draining to listen and engage in mindless chatter for any length of time.If we're not talking about something of substance or of importance,i have no use for it.I think that has a lot to do with this.Plus the fact that,over the phone,i can't "read" whom i'm talking to as well as in person.It's just a voice.I like to see whom i'm talking with.Add into the fact that,when i am going to use the phone(just as in life)me,being such a perfectionist,will rehearse what i'm going to be saying in my head beforehand,so i don't offend anyone by what i say,or look stupid.So,it's just a draining thing to me.Unless it's important,you will never see me on the phone.I am so very annoyed(and must admit,perplexed)when i see these people that can just sit on the phone for hours like it's nothing..How do they do it?I am notoriously known for not answering the phone,and/or taking way too long to respond to messages or calls.With all the technology nowadays with cell phones/exc people really do look at me weirdly for this one.What the heck did people do before cell phones...they lived!!!

This is soooo funny! I thought i was a real oddball for this one,apparently not so..! I DESPISE talking on the phone.I mean really hate it.I don't have many friends,so thankfully i don't need to that often,but,i will literally go weeks without calling even my mother,because of this phone aversion.Small talk does nothing for me.I find it annoying and mentally draining to listen and engage in mindless chatter for any length of time.If we're not talking about something of substance or of importance,i have no use for it.I think that has a lot to do with this.Plus the fact that,over the phone,i can't "read" whom i'm talking to as well as in person.It's just a voice.I like to see whom i'm talking with.Add into the fact that,when i am going to use the phone(just as in life)me,being such a perfectionist,will rehearse what i'm going to be saying in my head beforehand,so i don't offend anyone by what i say,or look stupid.So,it's just a draining thing to me.Unless it's important,you will never see me on the phone.I am so very annoyed(and must admit,perplexed)when i see these people that can just sit on the phone for hours like it's nothing..How do they do it?I am notoriously known for not answering the phone,and/or taking way too long to respond to messages or calls.With all the technology nowadays with cell phones/exc people really do look at me weirdly for this one.What the heck did people do before cell phones...they lived!!!
this ^

Talking on the phone is immensely therapeutic, especially for someone like me who doesn't find it convenient or easy to be spending time with friends a lot. I have started to see what a drain it is to be "out and about" even in small groups. Having to accommodate all the different scheduling styles of people is exhausting and takes time away from restful activities.

The phone is different. I can talk to someone for 10 minutes without having to make plans to be somewhere at a certain time and put up with all the logistical problems of meeting up with friends who may not be very reliable or available. Talking on the phone for long periods of time can be very relaxing and enjoyable. I love talking about personal issues on the phone or even in person - but again, a lot fewer logistical issues on the phone.

Talking on the phone is quality time.

personally, phone is the middle child inbetween talking directly face to face and chatting online.

You can't see the subtle cues you're getting from talking face to face, but you're also have to keep focus unlike chatting online, in speaking and hearing.

Sometimes it can be awkward. Sometimes it can be confusing. Especially when the intention is long talk.
If it's short, direct talk; then phone is the best, I think. With messages I can be very...

........pedantic.

You know, studies actually show that the vast majority of humanity is better at telling honesty from lies when hearing only the voice as opposed to being able to look for visual clues. (The small percentage who can pick up on microexpressions may do better seeing the other person though.)

Texting is King.

I hate hate hate talking on the phone. I can chat it up forever in texts/online/in person, but when it comes to the phone.. pfft, dead air. I can't read the person AT ALL over the phone. I can tell they are making facial expressions but I can't see them, and I notice when their attention is waning but I can't read between the lines. Drives me NUTS!