INFJs and fits of guilt | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJs and fits of guilt

dunno if anyone here has read a book called Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse but it deals specifically with INFJ's and our guilty tendencies. it describes a nerosis that can stem from one single event whether it be a strict religious school (i believe this to be the basis for Pink Floyd's "The Wall" song) or a single occurrence that had negative consquences and was later deemed selfish. i once lived with lets call it "Steppenwolf Syndrome" and its why i figured id put this out there for any other INFJ who may be dealing with it as this book really helped me put it into perspective and in a lot of ways saved my life. the wikipedia definition of this book is terrible so you might just want to check it out from your library if you're intersted or message me for more specific info d:

dunno if anyone here has read a book called Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse but it deals specifically with INFJ's and our guilty tendencies. it describes a nerosis that can stem from one single event whether it be a strict religious school (i believe this to be the basis for Pink Floyd's "The Wall" song) or a single occurrence that had negative consquences and was later deemed selfish. i once lived with lets call it "Steppenwolf Syndrome" and its why i figured id put this out there for any other INFJ who may be dealing with it as this book really helped me put it into perspective and in a lot of ways saved my life. the wikipedia definition of this book is terrible so you might just want to check it out from your library if you're intersted or message me for more specific info d:

Oh wow! Thank you!!!
Yes, it definitely becomes a kind of neurosis.

I dont regret anything in my life. I do have bouts of guilt because I made a bad decisions.

Ugh, I'd have so much more fun if it wasn't for the guilt. It's what keeps me honest, unfortunately.

I do tend to have a lot of guilt and regret over decisions regarding my own life.

I don't know if this would really be classed as a fit of guilt..but I tend to obsess over minor things that I've said that were somewhat embarrassing. I've always put that down to social anxiety.

I'm too analytical for my own good. I think too much. Looking back on my past mistakes, I get flooded with guilt and regret. "Why did I have to say that?" or "What kind of horrible person would do that kind of thing?" When I reflect a lot, guilt overpowers me. I feel lost in my depression and wish I could just go back and fix everything.

Reactions: INFJesus
Yes, guilt, guilt, guilt has always plagued me. And I know it's irrational that something I did when I was 6 still pops up in my mind and I feel guilty. It's ridiculous.
bagelriffic, I'll look up that book. Thanks.

I'm too analytical for my own good. I think too much. Looking back on my past mistakes, I get flooded with guilt and regret. "Why did I have to say that?" or "What kind of horrible person would do that kind of thing?" When I reflect a lot, guilt overpowers me. I feel lost in my depression and wish I could just go back and fix everything.
it's the same for me

I over-analyze everything

Hindsight is 20/20
I sometimes wish that too.
but getting stuck in the past is not healthy.
There comes a time when you will have to let it be and go forward with life.

I only tell you this because I know exactly where you are ..really :hug:

I have fits of guilt a lot. I tend to be haunted by my "woulda-shoulda-couldas"

I second-guess nearly everything I do for years afterward.

When I was 12 or 13, I was writing down the lyrics to this song I really liked at the time during my math class to pass the time. The teacher thought I was writing a note, and, without even reading it, snatched it away, balled it up, and threw it in the trash can. I still feel guilty whenever I listen to any song by the band that sang that song. But is that necessarily guilt? I'll give another example.

When I was 14, I transferred schools, and this kid said "hi" to me in the hall to be nice, but I was so surprised that someone had spoken to me and used my name that I went a little bit into shock and couldn't say anything back. I still feel bad about it. I should've said something!

There are bigger things, too, that I feel guilty about, obviously. I don't know if it's just guilt or if it's that I just can't let go of the things I feel I maybe should've done differently. But it's also not just important things. I mean, seeming like I was passing a note in 6th grade math? Big deal. But it bothers me. Is it a kind of perfectionism? Halfway OCD?

My guilt is the most painful, crippling and beneficial part of me.
Without it I'd be able to socialize without so much effort, and possibly not be so nice to people. Like so many here said I wouldn't be me.