INFJ Musicians? | INFJ Forum

INFJ Musicians?

Fancy Pants

Jan 23, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?
Hey, hope this is the right forum to post this in :)

Just wondering if there are any INFJ Musicians wandering around? In some of the stuff I have read about INFJ's we are suited to this as a profession (or hobby) but as I have never met any other INFJs (that I know of) I'm not sure how common it is? I'm a musician and I'd be interested in meeting some more and discussing hehe :D

Maybe the lead singer from Radiohead? I always felt a lot of resonance to Creep.

Hi, Fancy Pants. I grew up in a very musical family. While my parents were doing their thing, I was composing electronic music (on my Amiga computer). These days, I spend a fair amount of time doing field recordings and making ambient music. I very much enjoy shaping sound, but it's always been more of a personal pursuit. I don't typically concern myself with accessibility or relevance.

I'd be interested to hear more about what you do, and though we may not be into creating the same kinds of tunes, I'm happy to discuss music anytime.

yes.
I grew up in a musical family as well.
Always been strongly affected by music.
I love playing and creating, thought I'd get into producing.

But I dont like the scene nowadays. I miss the old days when people told stories and the performance was rich and full of soul.

I'd love to play with folks not concerned with being cool or having their ego stroked.

I'm trying to be good enough at life so that I can play music in front of others without fear.

I'm not a very proficient musician, but I do play a lot of instruments and have a deep love for music itself, I'm somewhat of a lyric junkie and have been told I'm a terrific sound guy (Which is something I do a bit). I agree with Billy about Thom Yorke possibly being an INFJ I also think Billy Joel could be one.

Still don't know if I'm an "INFJ," but I was highly involved in music for quite a while. I did everything I could with music in high school, taking private lessons, studying theory, playing in the bands, orcestra, jazz ensembles, theater productions, and competitions. I heavily considered going to music school for college and even did a few auditions. Outside of school I was involved in the punk "scene" playing in a band, booking, and occasionally running sound. I also did my own solo acoustic shows from time to time, and did recording on the side. I don't have nearly as much time for it anymore now that it's a hobby and not my focus, but I can't go a day without listening to music. I guess you could say I'm a pretty musical person.

Flamenco!!

I've been a guitarist for 6 years. Flamenco baby!! I play with my nails, can't really play with a pick... yet.

Reactions: bamf
I used to teach guitar, piano and bass. It would be a dream for me to open my own small music studio to hold lessons. It was really such a rewarding job watching little children learn, and becoming excited from their progression you've helped them towards. I don't really play guitar or bass very often anymore. (I'm also not teaching anymore, but hope to again someday!) But I still enjoy playing my piano everyday. :) I'm thinking of picking up my guitar again soon before I become too rusty lol :) I'm a very musical person. I'm almost always humming or tapping my feet if I'm feeling good. I enjoy listening to and playing classical music quite frequently, its very soothing for me.

I play viola. I can also play chords on the piano and about five total chords on the guitar. I sing, but never alone if anyone is within hearing distance ;).

I grew up in a musical family too, but I'm the only INFJ in my family.

Ooh lots of people! Awesome! :D

I'm a drummer hehe. I'm studying music full time and play in a funk/soul band and I teach on the weekends. I'm also in the process of putting together a chilled drum and bass band to play for cocktail clubs etc. I love music with a lot of space, and room the breathe, and I love finding other musicians who love to play for the sake of playing and to create something beautiful. There are so many people out there who just want attention and lose sight of making good music.

I was brought up in quite a musically versatile family. They listen to a lot of classical music, country, rock and pop.... only thing they never listen to is Jazz! So I had to get into that myself hehe.

If you had to name one artist who has been a big influence on you, who would it be?

I would have to say PJ Harvey for me :) I just love her. Her music paints moods and pictures so well, and the way she uses her voice to tell stories is really amazing... sometimes she sounds like an old woman & other times young and very free.... I think she's an artist who has taken music to another level where it really is art... she isn't concerned with have a perfect sounding voice... the imperfections are a big part of her music for me. I LONG to find a vocalist to work with who thinks like that - not that I'm dissing having high standards in regards to technique, I work on that all the time myself, but I think there need to be more people who break loose and set about to create something different, be it gorgeous sounding & perfect or ugly and raw :)

Anyway, I'm blathering on and will shut up now hehe

Indeed I was, and still am on certain occasions. I play my piano daily and used to do a lot of music composing on my laptop, since then though my laptop can't handle it anymore so i'm saving up for a good PC. :)

I also have grown up in a family that loves music and plays it daily, together we have bought a whole bunch of crazy instruments.

I played the guitar for about 4 months then slowly began to stop, (This was when I was young and didn't see myself improving so I quit.) I now only play the piano and pretty much compose my own music. I've hardly learnt how to read sheet music. o_O I also played the auto harp for about 3 months a while ago and quit due to impatience.

In the future I hope to get my act together again and get a nice little set up for music composing.

:m200:

I'm quite musically inclined but I think saying talented would be kind of pushing it, I do enjoy music greatly, it's a bit of a family passion :p I don't know of any INFJ's in real life unfortunately so I can't really help answer your second question.

If you had to name one artist who has been a big influence on you, who would it be?

I can't narrow it down to just one but I'd say for me it would be; Trent Reznor (Nine inch nails), Billy Joel, Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode), Freddie Mercury (Queen), and Leoncavallo.

My husband and I would love to get a few others and start a band; influences would be Nightwish (Tarja era), Within Temptation, some Sirenia and Epica.

At the moment, I am at college, playing the trombone in bands and I sing too :) My family are musical also. I completely agree that music should be about the freedom of creating, i would say my influences are a band called The Kings of Convenience and a composer called Eric Whitacre. It's really quite reassuring to see that other INFJ's are musical too!

Ooh lots of people! Awesome! :D

My biggest influence is life and experience. If I had to choose an artist... Paco de Lucia, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Sublime, Regina Spektor, The Beatles, Tupac, aghh theres so many!!!

We should start an INFJ band. =)

I'm a singer as well, and I write a lot of songs. I also play a bit of guitar and piano, but that is really minor. I am the only musical one in my immediate family, but I have a great aunt that is a talented singer/pianist, who teaches music.

An INFJ band would be so fun! :D too bad we all live in different countries/cities hehe! Maybe we should do one of those cyber bands haha

Some of my other most inspiring artists would have to be Bjork, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, The Chick Corea Elektric Band, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Rage Against The Machine, Matthew Herbert....and lots more :) But PJ's my number one! :D

My top influence? Bomb the Music Industry!.