INFJ Memory | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Memory

I rarely remember chronology, dates, factual details. I do remember what people said, what the athmosphere and the mood was, how people interacted and what I and others were feeling.
I can relate to this. Arbitrary facts do not stick in my mind. If they are part of a larger system, then I can remember the details by relating them to the big picture. I do this with expressive and factual information.

One example of my memory occurred when I met with a new music student about five years ago. She talked to me about her past experiences with music. Over the half hour I developed a picture in my mind of her goals, how she felt about playing music, how she hoped to be able to do it well, but was afraid she would try and her former feelings of inadequacy would be reinforced. She had taken lessons as a child with a teacher who made her feel like she wasn't quite capable, but she also had some internal sense that she could do it well if only given an opportunity. Her desire was strong enough that it sparked a kind of hope in her, although she felt a little vulnerable because she is older now and it seems more unlikely than ever, and if I turn out to be like her former teacher, it would damage her sense of hope. It was a detailed picture of her inner world based on her word choice and the nuance of her expression. After the lesson I reflected back on it and could not remember what color her hair was or any external details about her. At the moment I can't remember her name.

I have an odd memory, vignettes from as long as ten years ago can be triggered by anything of the now and suddenly I feel guilty or bashful or vindictive about that particular event way back because a detail of it just became clear today, can be triggered by odd things too like how a cat walked, or a particular word, or just a fleeting expression on someone's face.

Last edited:
Exactly true for me.

I never forget faces, and almost never remember names. I never remember what was said, but always remember what was meant.

I'm like this now, but before I had a stroke, I had an extraordinary memory. Once I heard a phone number, it was lodged forever in my memory banks--and with easu access. Anything I read, could be called up as if I were reading it again: case names, statute numbers, sometimes even the page of the book it was on. I lived with a lot of physical clutter--I had two toddlers and my husband was a deliberate slob--but nothing in my mind was ever cluttered; everything was filed neatly away to be found readily when necessary.

I've come to accept the kind of memory I have now, but it's not the one I was born with. Pre-stroke, I remembered names and faces. For example, one night at a cafe I saw a man I'd gone to high school with 20 years before. We hadn't been close in high school, didn't run with the same crowd--in fact, I barely knew him--but that night I recognized him immediately and remembered his name.

There are so many differences between me and others on this forum, sometimes I wonder if I really am an INFJ, though I always test INFJ or INFP.

Having this memory is hard sometimes because remembering a painful situation also means re-feeling not only my emotions but the emotions of others as well. It can be tricky going down memory land sometimes.

I'm kind of like you. I remember things with people, and also things that I don't try to remember. Trying to memorize stuff for classes sucks.

In my case, my first impressions are very keen. I read people so well that my friends all consider me psychic. When I meet someone I get a detailed sense of who they are on an intuitive level. That being the case, those impressions last for a long time, so I would be inclined to agree

I find my first impressions are so usually right! Even if a person changes my impression of them, in the end somehow they always end up proving me right anyway. I usually know why I will break up with someone before I even date them. But, I'm always hoping I will be surprised.

oh and are you sure you're not an ENTP with well developed F?

Well to answer your question, I intentionally developed thinking functions as a kid because I thought that thinking types were smarter.

I think I come off as a thinker sometimes because my enneagram is in the thinking triad.

Have you ever heard the theory that NFs have chameleon like personalities that can adapt to whatever peoples expectations of them are. Thats essentially what I did. I turned myself into an NT.

If I were to say what I honestly think instead of edited my own mind I would come off very differently.

:m187:

I remember

1. Things Visually, that were visually impressive and made a mark in my mind
2. Specific words that were said to me that created an certain emotion and made a mark in my mind
3. Pieces of data that are interesting and I should investigate further- also things that I would probably repeat to people that would make for an interesting conversation. The more I repeat data to people in conversation the more likely it will be that I'll remember it.

I can visually remember things that interested me. If I'm lucky, sometimes if I read a piece of important information I retain the visual imprint of the page and can actually read parts of it from the picture in my memory. But I would have had to be paying a lot of attention to the page when I actually had it.
I'm useless at history because I can only remember facts that interest me and dates, etc. just don't make an impression.
I have a really good short term memory though which means I have a talent for cramming a couple of hours before tests.
Emotions always make an impression on me and pretty much all of my long term and childhood memories revolve around a strong emotional base.

Last edited:
Well to answer your question, I intentionally developed thinking functions as a kid because I thought that thinking types were smarter.

I think I come off as a thinker sometimes because my enneagram is in the thinking triad.

Have you ever heard the theory that NFs have chameleon like personalities that can adapt to whatever peoples expectations of them are. Thats essentially what I did. I turned myself into an NT.

If I were to say what I honestly think instead of edited my own mind I would come off very differently.

interesting point there. yeah my enneagram is in the thinking triad too, being a 5w4. that explains why i type as an NT sometimes even though i'm most definately an NF.

I pretty much did the same thing. Expectations really can change a person.

Last edited:
I remember things that are important to me, bits of conversations, particular parts of history, names seem to escape for even people I've known for quite some time. emotions and feeling don't fade off though, if a person was sad the last time i saw them the next time i see them i wonder if they have cheered up or if their conflict has been resovled

In episode#12 Barbra Davies talks briefly about intuitive feelers not having much interest in recalling names or precise numbers, not caring about the destination or showing much facility with specific facts. I have always been like this, Birthdays elude me, names of folks I meet or work with have to be drilled in or I will forget them. I even sometimes forget the names of coworkers that I have known for months.

If they do not hold a real meaning for me it is very difficult. I always thought this was because I am a moron but it is reassuring to know that it is more they way my mind is wired.

Funny thing is I have an excellent memory for stories, and have memorized several long poems.

It's simple: What impacts you the most is what you remember. No, I don't explicitly mean memorable events.

You're ruji, RT?

This makes me feel better. All this time I just thought I smoked way too much weed in high school.

giphy.gif