INFJ Friend Is Done With Me? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Friend Is Done With Me?

One day he invited me over and he was really drunk. Things got hot. But somehow he cooled down and told me we should stop because he only has sex in relationships and he just didn't see me that way. The next day he apologised, I thought everything was ok. He and I kept in touch basically everyday since then. The second time I hung out as he place he wasn't as warm and kept saying he was busy.
Here is what my intuition is telling me:

Somehow, word got out about the night you guys almost hooked up, and he heard something at work about it that made him feel very uncomfortable.

If this is the case, which I am confident that it is, then there is nothing you can do to fix it. The genie is out of the bottle now, and no apology can put it back in.

You may not think that you ever said something to someone else, but when it comes to women, al I can say is:

"Communications efficiency can be summed up like this: Telegraph, Telephone, and Tell a Woman".

Reactions: Cealie
Maybe easier said than done type advice... but I'm at a point where if I have to fight or convince you to be my friend--we ain't friends. Relationships should be mutual and just flow. If you have to do a ton of maintenance on it I don't think it's worth the time or energy. Hopefully you find some other people who you naturally and easily click with. But yes, move on.

Last edited:

Somehow, word got out about the night you guys almost hooked up, and he heard something at work about it that made him feel very uncomfortable.

If this is the case, which I am confident that it is, then there is nothing you can do to fix it. The genie is out of the bottle now, and no apology can put it back in.

You may not think that you ever said something to someone else, but when it comes to women, al I can say is:

"Communications efficiency can be summed up like this: Telegraph, Telephone, and Tell a Woman".
I didn't tell anyone except my sister and she's in a different country and doesn't even know his name. She knows of him by nickname. At work he was on sick leave when it happened and shortly after I resigned then he resigned so he and I never had the opportunity to be at work with each other afterwards.

Both he and I tended to avoid having work friends as the environment was toxic. And while at work he and I acted professionally, no one would have known we were texting each other at all considering we worked in different departments. In fact I would have resigned earlier if he hadn't told me to stick through it.

I have a reputation for avoiding gossip so he knows no one has a clue that he and I almost hooked up. I think he feels that what he did that day was disrespectful as he is very against casual sex and said he'd never disrespect me by having sex with me. I think he is ashamed of himself as he doesn't want a relationship yet almost slept with me. He is, I think, ashamed that he could have acted in such a base way and he is very uncomfortable that I accepted the behaviour.

I think he gets horny around me sometimes and he absolutely loathes that as I am not his type. Perhaps that is why he can't stay around me, due to guilt. I should admit that umm oral sex did happen for a few seconds but he stopped me.

So I had gotten him an apology gift recently and figured that since he and I started back talking it was ok to offer it. But he said “It's ok". I don't know if thelse means a gift wasn't necessary or that he just doesn't want a gift from me period.

I'm trying not to cry as I might be leaving the country in a month. This would have a been leaving on a good note. He does not know that I may be leaving in a month's time.

So I basically said I had no use for the gift and waiting on his response. If he flat out indicates he doesn't want a gift from me then, I'll leave him alone permanently. The idea of me not being able to tell him hurts a lot though.

Reactions: sassafras
So I had gotten him an apology gift recently and figured that since he and I started back talking it was ok to offer it. But he said “It's ok". I don't know if thelse means a gift wasn't necessary or that he just doesn't want a gift from me period.

I'm trying not to cry as I might be leaving the country in a month. This would have a been leaving on a good note. He does not know that I may be leaving in a month's time.

So I basically said I had no use for the gift and waiting on his response. If he flat out indicates he doesn't want a gift from me then, I'll leave him alone permanently. The idea of me not being able to tell him hurts a lot though.

Oh no, darling. You got him an 'apology gift' despite the gruff way he'd been acting. Even if he accepts the gift, there's a good chance he'll be doing that because its polite... and I worry that you're going to see that as an opening. If you're interested in my opinion, I think you should leave him alone permanently regardless. I really don't think this guy is interested in your friendship and I think your efforts and affections (romantic and friendly) are really being wasted here.

Oh no, darling. You got him an 'apology gift' despite the gruff way he'd been acting. Even if he accepts the gift, there's a good chance he'll be doing that because its polite... and I worry that you're going to see that as an opening. If you're interested in my opinion, I think you should leave him alone permanently regardless. I really don't think this guy is interested in your friendship and I think your efforts and affections (romantic and friendly) are really being wasted here.
I didn't mean the gift in a romantic way. But you're right. He read the messages and hasn't responded so I told him don't worry about it.

I tried really hard to be his friend and to make things ok. :(

But I'll try to move on. It really isn't healthy for me.

Reactions: April and sassafras
I didn't mean the gift in a romantic way. But you're right. He read the messages and hasn't responded so I told him don't worry about it.

I tried really hard to be his friend and to make things ok. :(

But I'll try to move on. It really isn't healthy for me.

You and @HorsesIncorporated seem to be going through something similar with these people not texting back tonight :(

I hope guys find some peace soon.

Friendships ending hurts. I'm sorry you're going through this Cealie.

I hope you have some other good friends who you can spend time with instead. Perhaps focussing on them makes this a little easier.

Reactions: April and sassafras
Friendships ending hurts. I'm sorry you're going through this Cealie.

I hope you have some other good friends who you can spend time with instead. Perhaps focussing on them makes this a little easier.
Yeah. But it almost feels like he's been punishing me for something. I don't know why. I thought he was a good person. It almost seems like he despises me.

Hopefully in a month's time I never have to see him again.

Yeah. But it almost feels like he's been punishing me for something. I don't know why. I thought he was a good person. It almost seems like he despises me.

Hopefully in a month's time I never have to see him again.
Couldn't you just never see him again starting right now?

Hi so I am INTP female and I have an INFJ guy friend. The friendship lasted about 4 months but he was a co-worker for about a year and a half. He always was quite shy though I personally think he was just putting up a shy front. I made it obvious I liked him so that made him a bit nervous around me. Eventually he started to admit he did find me appealing but he still kept distance.

One day he invited me over and he was really drunk. Things got hot. But somehow he cooled down and told me we should stop because he only has sex in relationships and he just didn't see me that way. The next day he apologised, I thought everything was ok. He and I kept in touch basically everyday since then. The second time I hung out as he place he wasn't as warm and kept saying he was busy.

The third time, he seemed irritated I came over. The next day he told me stop making a habit out of coming over and that week he moved apartments but to this day hasn't told me where. He and I also quit our jobs but he hasn't told me where he works. Also he never wants to hang out. Every time I would ask he would say he's busy until one day he told me that he only hangs out with very few people who he knows very well. This hurt me, badly.

So that week I told him that he and I weren't friends because friends hang out. He said I was being emotional for no reason. I should add that every time he and I text in more than 6 text message intervals he says he's busy. Often he uses unh huh and ok as a response. That hurt. I asked him if I was bothering him and he said no that I'm over thinking things.

But the past month things got really bad, he and I had to meet for him to give me something I had lent and when I asked him for a hug, he said no. Then he sigh and hugged me with a three foot distance between our abdomens.

I confronted him about how his behaviour was changing and he got irritated and said nothing changed and that he was tired of putting up with me saying that stuff. Last week I asked him to go somewhere quiet with me just to chill and be close to nature and he said 'No thank you'''

So that week I told him he and I should sever contact as it was obvious I was getting too attached and that, that wasn't good for either of us. He got upset but I said it doesn't mean I don't care but that it was for the best. So he had to give me something else I had borrowed him, some cash and wanted to meet but I said that he should give it to a friend mine. He got upset but did just that.

However I realised he gave me 50 bucks more. I felt so bad. So I apologised and sent maybe 10 long texts explaining why I said we should cut ties and why im sorry. Which he ignored. I tried calling him but he tested me back saying that I should only contact him in case of emergency.

A few days ago I got a panic attack due to seeing a trigger (someone who treated me really badly, basically abuse). So I texted my friend saying that I was having a panic attack and he never responded. My heart is broken. It seems he's gone. So today I sent he a text basically saying I realise he is done with me and that I'm just glad to have met him.

I just don't know why he couldn't like me even as a friend. He seems to never have liked me and that hurts a lot.
I went through this recently too and I think the problem you're experiencing is actions vs words.

I struggle with this too because I am an extremely honest and straightforward person. I don't like to hurt people's feelings but I also will never lie to them, so if people approach me point blank and want an straight answer from me even if it might hurt them if they ask me I will tell them.

Because I live by this philosophy, I often have situations with other people where they SAY one thing but behave opposite of what they said. I kept wanting to corner these people and force them to confess, but usually it doesn't work. There are some people who dislike confrontation so much they cannot be honest.

What you're looking for is closure. I am the same way. I have a friend who, in my mind, we are no longer friends. I confronted her about it and asked if she was going to resolve this or if I should delete her from my Facebook. She begged me not to and was angry at me, we used to talk every day but now we haven't talked in going on 2 months now which is not ever how our friendship has been.

For her, the idea of me "ending" things was traumatic. She likes the idea that if she wants to she can rekindle things, even though she has no intention of ever doing so. For me, I needed there to be a decision. But in this circumstance, amazingly, I was able to just pretend we're not Facebook friends anymore and if she ever contacts me I'll tell her that I no longer wish to speak to her.. But I don't think she ever will contact me again.

What has helped me to get though situations where

A) one person refuses to communicate honestly
and
B) I clearly care more about the other person than they care for me

Is practice self compassion.

I like to fall into this trap where I convince myself if I just hold on the person will change their behavior. Now, I think there are actually circumstances where this does happen- someone who is painfully shy for example might take a while to open up. My best friend of 5 years didn't open up until 2 years into our friendship but I never said anything because I just liked her and didn't mind it. When she opened up it was a pleasant surprise. The fact that sometimes people do change their behavior can make it hard to not want to hang on and wait and see.

The problem with this is that most often, people don't change. And with the situation with my best friend her not opening up didn't hurt or bother me at all. However. In situations, usually romantic, where the person is hurting you because you have feelings and they keep getting stronger and this person won't reciprocate?

That is when it is time to dig down deep inside and try to figure out why you want this so bad. As well as self compassion like I said. When you think about your issue think:

Isn't it so sad that I am interested in someone and they aren't returning the same level of interest? This is a really hard situation im in, and it's painful.

Don't judge yourself: try to validate your emotions and uncover the why's.

For me, I get hung up on a lack of closure. How I solved this problem was by making an exit plan. I said, well, I'll do x y or z and if these things dont work out I'll sever ties. I'm not telling you to sever ties, either, but I think you know you're in a lot of pain and that you need to ACT.

you've actually done a lot of acting, and the pain is getting worse because of the fact that nothing you're doing is panning out so the anxiety gets worse. What you need to do is step back, find a nice objective spot in your mind, and think about how much pain you are willing to handle. How much pain do you deserve to handle? There are plenty of people who pine over a single person their whole life. I think you know at this point that the person you love doesn't want to have contact with you, and you have to respect that.

But are you going to stay hung up on them and hope it'll work out later? Maybe it will. You have to decide and once you make a decision the pain will go away. But if you do decide to purposefully stay hung up on this person that's you're choice and you have to learn to live with it.

Reactions: April and Cealie
I went through this recently too and I think the problem you're experiencing is actions vs words.

I struggle with this too because I am an extremely honest and straightforward person. I don't like to hurt people's feelings but I also will never lie to them, so if people approach me point blank and want an straight answer from me even if it might hurt them if they ask me I will tell them.

Because I live by this philosophy, I often have situations with other people where they SAY one thing but behave opposite of what they said. I kept wanting to corner these people and force them to confess, but usually it doesn't work. There are some people who dislike confrontation so much they cannot be honest.

What you're looking for is closure. I am the same way. I have a friend who, in my mind, we are no longer friends. I confronted her about it and asked if she was going to resolve this or if I should delete her from my Facebook. She begged me not to and was angry at me, we used to talk every day but now we haven't talked in going on 2 months now which is not ever how our friendship has been.

For her, the idea of me "ending" things was traumatic. She likes the idea that if she wants to she can rekindle things, even though she has no intention of ever doing so. For me, I needed there to be a decision. But in this circumstance, amazingly, I was able to just pretend we're not Facebook friends anymore and if she ever contacts me I'll tell her that I no longer wish to speak to her.. But I don't think she ever will contact me again.

What has helped me to get though situations where

A) one person refuses to communicate honestly
and
B) I clearly care more about the other person than they care for me

Is practice self compassion.

I like to fall into this trap where I convince myself if I just hold on the person will change their behavior. Now, I think there are actually circumstances where this does happen- someone who is painfully shy for example might take a while to open up. My best friend of 5 years didn't open up until 2 years into our friendship but I never said anything because I just liked her and didn't mind it. When she opened up it was a pleasant surprise. The fact that sometimes people do change their behavior can make it hard to not want to hang on and wait and see.

The problem with this is that most often, people don't change. And with the situation with my best friend her not opening up didn't hurt or bother me at all. However. In situations, usually romantic, where the person is hurting you because you have feelings and they keep getting stronger and this person won't reciprocate?

That is when it is time to dig down deep inside and try to figure out why you want this so bad. As well as self compassion like I said. When you think about your issue think:

Isn't it so sad that I am interested in someone and they aren't returning the same level of interest? This is a really hard situation im in, and it's painful.

Don't judge yourself: try to validate your emotions and uncover the why's.

For me, I get hung up on a lack of closure. How I solved this problem was by making an exit plan. I said, well, I'll do x y or z and if these things dont work out I'll sever ties. I'm not telling you to sever ties, either, but I think you know you're in a lot of pain and that you need to ACT.

you've actually done a lot of acting, and the pain is getting worse because of the fact that nothing you're doing is panning out so the anxiety gets worse. What you need to do is step back, find a nice objective spot in your mind, and think about how much pain you are willing to handle. How much pain do you deserve to handle? There are plenty of people who pine over a single person their whole life. I think you know at this point that the person you love doesn't want to have contact with you, and you have to respect that.

But are you going to stay hung up on them and hope it'll work out later? Maybe it will. You have to decide and once you make a decision the pain will go away. But if you do decide to purposefully stay hung up on this person that's you're choice and you have to learn to live with it.
What you said was so true. But I've decided I'm done with him. I don't deserve what he's doing and I tried so hard to be nice and apologetic. I absolutely hate when people can't be honest and it bugged me even more that he can be brutally honest most times but won't admit that he doesn't see me as a friend and doesn't care. He says I'm the one who's overreacting and acting like a jerk.

I've reached a point where I don't trust him and that's difficult because I've always felt safe around him. But I just can't trust someone like him. And I'm not even sad about ending things anymore because he has hurt my feelings so many times and has never apologised but when I hurt his feelings I have to apologise. He ruined everything. I mean I was there for him when he was very sick I listened to how he felt offered advice and loaned some funds. But he tried to later on give me double back but I wouldn't accept.

He says I'm self centred and act like a jerk a lot. Which I don't understand, all I got upset about was him not wanting to hang out and him getting distant. To turn around and say those things is unfair I think. I just hope to never meet someone like him again.

It's reached a point where even if he apologised and asked to hang out, I'd say no. Nothing he's going to say will change my mind. He's done enough.

That's kind of rude in itself. Women are not the only sex known for spreading things... in fact I know a male that is the world's worst. Stop assuming she did something just because she's a woman.

Last edited:
I've been thinking and I'm wondering if maybe I came off as clingy to him. I did used to message him everyday or every two days. I still think he acted like an ajole but it could have been his way of getting me to not contact as much.

So I had decided to give him space then in a moment of weakness I messaged him. He cussed me out and told me to f off and blocked me. So I'm doing just that. I'm beginning to see that he isn't the person I thought he was.

Maybe try and look at it from his side. He is an INFJ who has made a decision may debate the wisdom of that decision everyday.

I'll tell you from my viewpoint a similar situation. I stopped seeing a very very good friend several months ago and we have not spoken or seen each other since. For two people that spent much of their day texting each other, going on road trips and shooting the shit it was phenomenal to just ... stop ... contact.

But I made that decision and after several weeks of soul searching have recognised it is the best decision going forward.

Guess what? That decision doesn't mean I don't hurt still EVERY SINGLE day. That I don't think about this person EVERY SINGLE day. If this person contacted me now, after all the pain I have been going through and slowly getting back to living a life without them, then I may well explode as well. Its not because I don't want to see them. Its more (for me anyway) that I have done so much work to reconcile my feelings for my decision and start restructuring my life that I cannot bare to be reminded again after all this time. To go back to that place that was just post breakup. To be reminded of your decision, your possible mistake. Hundreds of things in fact.

So my point after all this is, don't think of that person as different to who you thought they were. Cherish what was, and that people react and think differently when ceasing a relationship with another person.