INFJ:Fantastic Brain Healers but Terrible Psychologists | INFJ Forum

INFJ:Fantastic Brain Healers but Terrible Psychologists

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
Okay, before you flame me I've got to qualify this.

I have a number of friends who are INFJ's and on track to become psychologists and I want to put this out there from their experience and my own.

When I am involved in a 'healing' situation where I am working with a person, I tend to cross a great many of their boundaries and find hidden hurts and fears. In the end, they come away more clear-headed and at peace. This involves any one of a long list of strategies which the American psychological establishment would find bizarre to say the least and yet they work.

Empathizing with people, getting involved in their emotions, getting involved in their lives and giving them a feeling that someone DOES care seems to just restructure a person in a way that the very isolated 'Doctor/patient' relationship doesn't.

Now, when I give someone advice on whatever silly situation they've gotten into and they come back to me later (having survived if they listened or crashed and burned if they didn't) it's nice to hear their thanks but I all too often get this. 'You're so good with people! You should be a psychologist!'

No. Seriously. Just no.

What INFJ's do is not suited to the realm of the psychologist in it's modern methodology.

I often find myself needing to make out that I am some what psychic to get people to listen to me. Largely it is a matter of supreme empathy and close observation but there is nothing magical about it. Still, people listen if you sound like you've got a line in on the cosmic powers that be. This is why people still read horoscopes.

In a psychologist's office there are a list of expectations not the least of which is that the psychologist will help you if you pay them. I much prefer to pick my patients because a great myth of modern psychology is that 'You can help everyone.'

Bullocks. You cannot help everyone. Even an INFJ at the height of their internal balance with years of training cannot help everyone without investing UNSPEAKABLE quantities of resources into rebuilding a person. More often than not, people require time and in cases of terrible damage, a feeling of safety and isolation from the environment which caused the damage. If you can't give them that then there's no sense in taking 60 bucks an hour once every two weeks.

To my mind that's theft.

INFJ's do their best work when they can use their intuition rather than a strict manual for how things are done.

To this end while INFJ's may be the best of brain-fixers we operate very poorly as psychologists because A, we are often required to work with EVERYONE who comes through the door and B, we're restricted in the level of involvement we're allowed to have. I realize there are safety reasons for those restrictions but there are also people in this world it is possible to help who are simply hopeless within those strictures.

For a depressed house-wife, go to a psychologist.

For a rape, for a dead lover, for a child soldier, for a murdered husband...come to the INFJ in a properly balanced state of mind. The brain is our realm and this is as it should be...but not if we have to do things by the book.

P.S. It's not like we're going to say no if someone asks for our help. Seriously, we're kinda dumb like that sometimes.

Last edited:
For a rape, for a dead lover, for a child soldier, for a murdered husband...come to the INFJ.

I want to become a psychologist/licensed counsellor and these are the exact cases I would work with. I have also thought about working as a counsellor for people on death row. I need to work with the most extreme, the most beat-down, the most "impossible".
I have empathy for regular cases too, but I think working with that would end up boring me. And it would seem a bit like a waste, knowing I could be out there helping even "needier" people.

I think I see your point and I think I agree. I only rushed through your post though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
There was a short time where I had my head in the clouds about my MBTI type and nearly changed major over it to psychology. I decided against it, not the smallest reason being this:
I can help people medically and still give them the kind of advice they may need from an emotional perspective without a license, but doing things the other way around doesn't quite work out. Simply put: I love medicine and I love people, but I can only practice one of these without a license.
The idea of a self-contained, scheduled "improvement time" is also one that does not appeal to me. If I'm going to give someone the kind of advice I feel like they need from the bottom of my heart, I need to trust them enough to do so. It's something that's got to be spontaneous if you get what I mean.

Reactions: AmeyT18
We've already discussed this, you know my views.

Interesting point of view on modern clinical psychology: it is impersonal. I was thinking about psychology major for a second but I decided to not do it and this may have been why. I think the mind is fascinating though and I want to learn about human sexuality and gender next quarter.

+1 for use of Bollocks

There was a short time where I had my head in the clouds about my MBTI type and nearly changed major over it to psychology. I decided against it, not the smallest reason being this:
I can help people medically and still give them the kind of advice they may need from an emotional perspective without a license, but doing things the other way around doesn't quite work out. Simply put: I love medicine and I love people, but I can only practice one of these without a license.
The idea of a self-contained, scheduled "improvement time" is also one that does not appeal to me. If I'm going to give someone the kind of advice I feel like they need from the bottom of my heart, I need to trust them enough to do so. It's something that's got to be spontaneous if you get what I mean.

Thank you for articulating this for people like me who cannot find the words to match their emotions on things like these.

More often than not, people require time and in cases of terrible damage, a feeling of safety and isolation from the environment which caused the damage. If you can't give them that then there's no sense in taking 60 bucks an hour once every two weeks.

Agree with this. I sometimes left the therapist's office feeling as if i was being duped; made to think that my problems would just go away with a simple change in thinking, as if being in a particular situation with constraints didn't or wouldn't have an effect on how i could effectively respond. It isn't healthy. You begin to believe that nothing should affect you, or you don't have the right to feel restrained or restricted by your circumstances, since mentally you should be able to transcend everything. To put so much pressure on the self can be damaging. You expect more of yourself than you could possibly deliver.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I am totally on board with the original post. I have wanted to be a psychologist and I always get the "you should be a psychologist!" line. But I know it's too clinical for me.

Agree with this. I sometimes left the therapist's office feeling as if i was being duped; made to think that my problems would just go away with a simple change in thinking, as if being in a particular situation with constraints didn't or wouldn't have an effect on how i could effectively respond. It isn't healthy. You begin to believe that nothing should affect you, or you don't have the right to feel restrained or restricted by your circumstances, since mentally you should be able to transcend everything. To put so much pressure on the self can be damaging. You expect more of yourself than you could possibly deliver.

I've run into that mindset of 'the body and the mind are separate' a lot. It speaks to one of the great fallacies of modern thought on the brain which is that 'Will' is somehow something besides 'health'. If a person doesn't have mental health then will is likely to also escape them.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
INFJ's make great counselors. I would leave the psychiatry to the INTJ's.

Last edited:
Isn't that what being a counselor is?

In some parts I agree, I think what you mean is something more akin to a mixture of metaphysics and counseling. Albeit I -like- psychology as a whole (that's why I entered this forum and MBTI on the first place), I don't like the clinical aspect. (...so far.)

I think the OP is based on a very narrow view of the process of therapy.

There are many approaches, some more clinical in approach than others. One size doesn’t fit all. If an approach isn’t working for the person participating in therapy, it would behoove them to find one that does.

In any case, my therapist is INFJ, and she’s the best counselor I’ve ever had. :thumb:

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
I think the OP is referring to a generic approach to therapy which doesn't always work, but is continually pushed without considering the effect on the person.

I think the OP is referring to a generic approach to therapy which doesn't always work, but is continually pushed without considering the effect on the person.

That’s fair.

A therapist is like any other professional — some are better than others. In the case of someone seeking therapy, they need to be actively engaged in the process to the degree of knowing when something is working for them and when it is not. If they aren’t engaged as such, no therapeutic process is going to work for them.

cheers,
Ian

I think the OP is based on a very narrow view of the process of therapy.

There are many approaches, some more clinical in approach than others. One size doesn

Any psychologist I've ever met was a complete lunatic that I wouldn't want giving me advice on anything. Just saying.

Any psychologist I've ever met was a complete lunatic that I wouldn't want giving me advice on anything. Just saying.

You gotta be a lunatic to even consider being a psychologist in the first place, you're practically putting your sanity on the line. :m037:

In any case, my therapist is INFJ, and she’s the best counselor I’ve ever had. :thumb:

Yes, I also have an INFJ therapist. Shes an absolute doll.
My current psychiatrist is a grumpy, old INTP who claims to be able to bring terror into the hearts of her clients by freaking the crap out of them...

There's a difference as the OP stated.

Last edited: