illogics | INFJ Forum

illogics

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Flavus Aquila, Jul 15, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by Flavus Aquila
  1. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,605
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    All cats are pussies; some bears are pussies, therefore some bears are cats.





    Illogical statements are either formally illogical, or materially illogical.

    Formal logic: the arguement is correct.
    Material logic: the contents/premises are correct.
     
  2. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,285
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I don't really have anything to add, as I am not sure what the purposes of this thread is. However I can express this much: I effing hate logic. It's frusterating, irratating, and I largely am terrible at it. Logic can bite me.

    I'll stick to intrinsics and assumptions thankyouverymuch.

    Ok, obviously there us use to logic and I don't really hate it persay. It just is irratating to me becuase of the proof it requires for it to meet logics standards. I cut too many corners for it to work, and when I am asked to not cut those corners I no longer can get to those answers. My brain dislikes logic (along with language, which I see as related to this. I am not a pattern thinker).
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,276
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,592
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    That is an AEE2 categorical syllogism, which is a valid form.

    When you say correct, you mean valid, right?
     
  4. Melkor

    Melkor Madman with a cause

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Threads:
    27
    Messages:
    1,758
    Likes Received:
    247
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    >.>
    I coudn't live without logic.

    It is like a set of polished perscription glasses without which I would be blind to the world.

    Eh, think Flavus wanted to share something he just learned.

    *Pats Flav*
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    288
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Some people are superior, the rest are inferior.
    Only inferior people disagree with that statement.

    (It's like: Some people always say the truth, the rest always lie. Only those, who always lie, claim that the first statement is false.)

    The worst part is that it's not logically incorrect, it just has no way to be disproven (or truly verified!) within the same order of logic.

    p.s. the superior/inferior dichotomy could be replaced with anything like moral/immoral, pretty/ugly, smart/stupid etc.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 enfp can be shy, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,276
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,592
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Yes, you cannot arrive at truth via logic. You can only arrive at validity or invalidity.
     
  7. Wyote

    Wyote Xenoi
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    241
    Messages:
    35,693
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    189,121
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    A cat is fine too.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Silently Honest

    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Threads:
    97
    Messages:
    5,464
    Likes Received:
    137
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    YANG
    [​IMG]
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Feelings

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2009
    Threads:
    178
    Messages:
    4,531
    Likes Received:
    638
    Trophy Points:
    245
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    -
    Logic is the only thing that makes any sense to me. Even my feelings and assumptions are evaluated and categorized using logic.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. gloomy-optimist

    gloomy-optimist Used to live here

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    202
    Trophy Points:
    528
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    Some men are pussies. Some men are dicks. Therefore, all men are walking genitalia.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    sassafras likes this.
  11. Peppermint

    Peppermint Well-known member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    Threads:
    28
    Messages:
    4,000
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    9,815
    Trophy Points:
    887
    MBTI:
    uwot
    Enneagram:
    _
    I'm the complete opposite. Throwing around unverified assumptions makes me go craaazzy. :censored: :frusty:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Trifoilum

    Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    6,554
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,734
    Trophy Points:
    380
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Logic....
    .....

    even when something is valid / invalid, sometimes it doesn't make it any less true / untrue. -A-

    so I guess I understand logic, but abhor those who used it without any consideration of the.....random things (or their own judgement) tilting their perfectly orderly logic train.

    But I guess I might be wrong here. Dunno. >_>; I seek truth rather than logical.. validity. If by reaching the truth I must have validity, than so be it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Kgal

    Kgal Magic Star Dust
    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    11,470
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    6,683
    Trophy Points:
    1,215
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Texasssss.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 Mediator
    Wouldn't both Flavus and Indigo arrive at the same conclusion to FA's logic statement traveling down different paths?


    Maybe it's that yin-yang - dualistic nature of humans to have both abilities within us to do our critical thinking?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. amazingdatagirl

    Joined:
    May 23, 2010
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sx/sp
    “Any true intellectual would recognize the necessity for studying logical fallacies.”

    Argumentum ad Populum - lit. argument to the people. Statement which is designed to appeal popular sentiment rather than carefully constructed reason. Materially illogical.
     
  15. Jack

    Jack Community Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Threads:
    14
    Messages:
    584
    Likes Received:
    65
    Trophy Points:
    160
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Equivocation.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Tulip

    Tulip Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    Threads:
    9
    Messages:
    272
    Likes Received:
    37
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Exempted
    Enneagram:
    Type me
    The conclusion doesn't sound right unless it is re-written as below:

    All pussies are cats;
    Some bears are pussies,
    Therefore some bears are cats.

    :violin:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page