"I hate people." Why people say it/you say it? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"I hate people." Why people say it/you say it?

I usually dislike people by default until they give me a reason not to. I don't hate most people though, there's maybe 2 or 3 that I can think of I wouldn't throw a life jacket to in a sinking ship.

When I say I hate people I mostly mean it. People are on a sliding scale of how loathsome they are to me. The gross majority falls somewhere in the middle with hive-mind or herd-like behaviour, being unable to think for themselves and being unable to live their lives in anything but the most shallow of fashions. Spiteful, greedy, shallow and unenlightened.

Now that's not to say that as individuals they don't have any merit. They probably all do, but if they opt to hide that all away deep inside for societal approval, then that's their problem. Not mine. And I'll judge them on the merit they display, not the potential they may or may not have.

That's not to say when I say it that I hate all people though, far from it. As people get higher on the sliding scale I find them more and more tolerable and less offensive. It's just that so few get high enough that it's easier to just generalize.

But when I say it I actually mean it, even as a generalization. In the end people are responsible for everything that ills the world, despite the best efforts of the enlightened few, why not hate them?

I also find writing this all very amusing as I'm not usually a very hateful person at all, I don't even have a particularly bleak outlook on life in general. I just think it's a realistic way to think of people as a whole, best to set your sights low.

Usually when I say it, it has to do with hating people as a mass. I can tolerate most people at the individual level, but in crowds, it is just too much...too much traffic, too much herd mentality, too much mess. :m125:

I hate people. But I care about every single one of them; even the ones I hate a lot. Maybe I don't hate people; I just get frustrated with them. I love everyone... Actually when I think about it I really don't waist my time hating people; the people I dislike I distance myself from so it never really comes to that.

- I agree with fatkattykat it's not really the individual I hate; I care about them as a person. It's when they become a mass...

Last edited:
En Masse people in general are bad news...

singularly we are real, emotional, tangible..

People as a whole vs One person is the difference

Example would be:

Big american cities with their freeways and millions of drivers everyday (my only driving frame of reference just to let everyone know) I get on the free way and I think I HATE PEOPLE...The way they drive

But If I were to think singularly of just the diver next to me, I cant possibly hate him/her I dont know them, but singularly they are nothing....

Second example...The most frightening place in the world for me a suburban WAL mart...hundreds of bodies seeking the same deals you are swarming in their metal shopping carts, barreling through the isles with no care. I walk into a Wal mart and think two things I hate people, and I hate walmart (but thats another story entirely)

But I really dont hate the woman in front of me, I know nothing of her. I can point out certain aspects about her I appreciate, or might even like.

en masse we are dangerous

Last edited:
When I say that I hate people, I usually mean it, at least for a while. But it's not really people as individuals that I hate. It's the endless number of weaknesses like an absolute lack of anything remotely resembling intelligence or common sense, and a habitual inability to apply themselves consistently to uphold any kind of moral standard. I realize that moral standards differ according to the individual, but I also believe that certain basic principles, like not cheating on your spouse because you're bored or not getting what you need, getting married or divorced because it's expedient, or "forgetting" about the existence of your own child in your own car because of your own busy schedule. This last refers to a recent story here in Austin. About a week ago, this guy (I'm currently too disgusted to use the word father in good conscience, even though it's applicable) went to work at a semi-conductor plant and "forgot" or "didn't know" (how do you explain that one?) that his eithteen-month-old child was in the car. This was around nine or so in the morning and it's been so hot lately that it was most likely already in the mid to upper eighties with high humidity. About half an hour later, a woman saw the kid in the car and called, not the police, but a security guard, who, apparently, didn't make much of an effort to find the baby. Unfortunately and very tragically, the person who forgot the kid's existence found him dead about four-thirty that afternoon because the temperature had gotten to, at least, a hundred degrees. If it were me, I'd've most likely gone home and swallowed the nearest bullet. But he's still alive facing, I believe, felony charges of "child endangerment." I guess murder has to be premeditated or deliberate or something. He could get from two to twenty years. I'm sure he wishes he were dead himself, but I his child is still dead due to his inattention. It's absolutely inexcusable for someone to forget, for whatever reason, about the very existence of their own child! How is it possible to create a life, watch it develope and come into the world, care for it for a year and a half, then "forget" about it? There's an amount of sympathy for him, as there should be for his emotional suffering, but I wonder, if this had been the kid's other, would we be nearly so lenient? I think not. But, then again, maybe we would. I think society sees the work of mothers as more valuable, but also more stressful. Maybe an overworked overstressed mom accidentally leaving her kid in an overheating car is okay. (sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell) After all, she's trying to work and do fifty other oh-so-necessary things. How can she always be expected to remember her kid? What the hell ever! I don't think the woman who called the security guard can be prosecuted for anything, but the guard's lazy ass should be fired! He should have gone up and down every aisle of that parking lot looking into every single blessed car until he found that baby! I don't give a damn how bit that parking lot is! What else does he have to do, anyway, at a semi-conductor plant during the day? Did he look out the window, not automatically see the car with the kid in it, and go back to work? Somehow, I think if it had been a dog, more effort would've been made. In my opinion. there is no acceptable excuse for dereliction of duty, whether it be your marriage, your job, or the welfare of your child. So, yeah, sometimes I really do hate the utter lack of responsibility displayed by, it seems to me, the majority of people. Does anybody else want to revoke their membership to the human race and start their own enlightened one? I'd sign up for it.

I think hate is one of those words that people just throw around, but few have really experienced the full extent of what it means to truly 'hate' anything. My reasoning is that it is the emotion that's on the opposite spectrum of love, and love is usually reserved for a few, special people. I think the same applies to hate. Unless you are a completely bitter, socially-rejected-at-every-turn sort of misanthrope, I doubt you can apply such a strong emotion to people in general. Most people (I hope) really don't find themselves in such a position.

That being said, I don't think I've ever really hated anyone, let alone an entire population. I never had any reason to; I haven't been truly wronged or shunned from society. Sure, I've had my troubles with middle school kids, and a hazing incident back in ninth grade, but in general, I haven't let that color my perception of people.

Mind you, if anything, I'm mostly ashamed for the majority of the populace; from the get-go, I've just always a hard time reconciling with the fact that some people can really be that idiotic, and not know it. Still, I'm relieved to say that that sentiment doesn't apply to everybody.

Last edited:
Hate is a harsh word. I would never say that to anyone regardless of the pain they have inflicted to me. Hate kills the soul and poisons the mind.

when i'm in my "i hate humans" mode, i mean the word 'hate' like i am frustrated by and angry at and confused by the things people do. usually, it has to do with their lack of common sense and/or empathy.
i don't actually hate-hate anyone. in fact, i actually want to and do like people...for the most part.

Ya I said it every once a while, but only to close friends.

It's sort of a complicated feeling for me personally, don't get me wrong I love human very much, but humanity is so screwed up and the world is just fucking crazy nowadays I'd rather have them all fucking dead including me just to stop all the nonsense.

Is that from Stalin? "No man, no problem" ??

They can be a great people, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way...

because people are distractions to what we are trying to focus on. which isnt a person.

I don't hate people, but on one level have an underlying neutrality about their behaviors because these will occur regardless of any energy I waste on forming opinions about it. When I'm frustrated with "people" it is usually more of a frustration with myself for not being able to make sense of the complexities and irrationalities of their behaviors.

Groups wear me down, and some individuals have unpleasantly surprised me with their capacity for cruelty, but just as soon as I think people are hurtful, I encounter someone much kinder and thoughtful than I thought possible.

In the end I realize that any impulse within myself whether it is for kindness or anger, is present in others. If there is something I like in myself, it only follows to like others because it is present there as well. The same is true for qualities I dislike in myself, but it makes more sense to address those at the source rather than worrying about those behaviors in others.