How to develope Ne? | INFJ Forum

How to develope Ne?

Starry Night

Regular Poster
May 11, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Ive been fascinated by Ne for awhile now, even though I couldnt fully explain it, and probably dont fully understand it either. I understand some aspects of it though of course.

So can you develope your Ne on purpose, and how? (I mean for types that dont have Ne in their first 4 functions)

Just trust your instincts about the world.

You can develop any function.

For Ne, you can join a group full of ENFPs and ENTPs talking about how flying pasta will invade Jupiter to take a pencil because they like building oompa-loompas with juicy legos, making the most random story ever, or just proposing a bunch of random ideas, making connections between everything, just think about random things, for example when you see a computer think about what if the computers never existed, who created the computers, what if the computers were living, what if what if what if, make a description for every monkey smiley and give them a name a personality ect, make a list about how to develop functions, idk anymore :p

For Ne, you can join a group full of ENFPs and ENTPs talking about how flying pasta will invade Jupiter to take a pencil because they like building oompa-loompas with juicy legos, making the most random story ever, or just proposing a bunch of random ideas, making connections between everything, just think about random things, for example when you see a computer think about what if the computers never existed, who created the computers, what if the computers were living, what if what if what if, make a description for every monkey smiley and give them a name a personality ect, make a list about how to develop functions, idk anymore :p

*laughs* That was helpful! And it sounds like fun! Yet very strange at the same time.

This is pretty close to how nearly every conversation with my bf goes, an ENFP.

And *this* is why I think Ne-doms make the best creative writers EVAH.:mhula:

eh, i'd rather develop Se over Ne.

Yes, Ne definitely needs to be given free reign to combine unlikely ideas.

I (with Ti-Ne...) have to resist the fact that it doesn't make sense, or I quickly curtail Ne to consider more reasonable possibilities. Other problems might arise for people with more functions above Ne, and if your goal is to develop Ne for its own sake, then this won't do at all. More private exercise would be to write a story using two randomly chosen words: a noun and a particular type of verb (like cooking verb) or a 'big word' (like love, war, peace) and an object or a verb. Really zany writing topics will get Ne going.

Run from Ne! It makes you think all crazy-like D:

eh, i'd rather develop Se over Ne.
I'd go for this too.

That being said, my Ne is quite adaptable, at least for my comfort and survival.
My way to train it? Just be paranoid.

And that about cinches the fact that I'm Ne dominant. That's pretty much what it looks like in my brain every day.

And that about cinches the fact that I'm Ne dominant. That's pretty much what it looks like in my brain every day.

And it cinches that I'm not. :( :mpff: Ni is the reason why I run into walls with my writing. Ni is far more finite. :p

Extraverted intuition = finding patterns in the external environment.

To build it, focus on finding patterns in the external environment.

I don't see how people don't find value in that. :p

And it cinches that I'm not. :( :mpff: Ni is the reason why I run into walls with my writing. Ni is far more finite. :p

Hmm.

One side of my brain is throwing idea frisbees at a mile a minute, and the other is usually hung up on how to best express it in the perfect word or way or whether or not it fits with the structure of the scene. Like trying to cage a free bird. When it's just my Ne, I can fly through a scene no problem and it all comes together naturally. When it's anything else, it's a halting labor.

Last edited:

Dont you like your Ni? I think its awesome the stuff it can come up with, how it sometimes gives you solutions out of the blue. But Ne is awesome too. I really want to make mine stronger.

The question is whether explicitly practicing pattern recognition would eventually become implicit (intuitive)?

I believe it could be, although would it really be intuitive since it was not implicit in the first place? It is more like trained.

Even if you learn a framework for pattern recognition, one is still bound to that framework unless one intuitively starts developing new frameworks. Sort of a catch 22.

Development of imagination seems important. Having an open mind also seems important.

Shoshin

shoshin.jpg

To me, the idea of Shoshin seems very applicable to intuition in a broad sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin

Shoshin (初心) is a concept in Zen Buddhism meaning Beginner's Mind. It refers to having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and lack of preconceptions when studying a subject, even when studying at an advanced level, just as a beginner in that subject would.
Since intuition is a perceiving function, it would make sense that you need to open as many avenues of perception as possible.

Dont you like your Ni? I think its awesome the stuff it can come up with, how it sometimes gives you solutions out of the blue. But Ne is awesome too. I really want to make mine stronger.

Oh, I wouldn't trade it at all! I am who I am. :D I'm also a writer and I love to write, but Ne is much more conducive for world building and character rabbit trails. Maybe it's my opinion here, but I see Ne-doms having far more creativity and they're willing to let "whatever" happen. I control the direction of my story too much and I'm better with outlines. If I do write off the top of my head the story needs to be short. I'll write a good story and a deep story, but I rarely "surprise" my audience with something out of left field. I struggle with doing what's enrichingfor my characters, because I prefer to do what's right.

I don't know if that really makes much sense.

Anyway. I love Ne for its creative randomness. It's not that I can't be creative, because I love my creativity. But I'm far more deliberate and that can limit my creativity. My solutions come when I write myself into a corner; then Ni takes control and opens up new worlds.