IndigoSensor

Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
I have always wondered this ever since I was a child.

Have you ever wondered how others think, and what they actually do think? I find it interesting that we can try and explain how we think, but most details that can't be explained, or be understood unless they are actually experienced, and that is impossible. Someone could say they think fast, but you don't really know that. You wouldn't know unless you were able to jump into their mind, and experience what they were thinking to understand the speed at which thoughts are created. You could perceive it as snail paced and boring, or rapid and overwhelming, depending on your perspective.

I am constantly thinking about something, and I wonder if everyone does as well. There are some people who claim that they don't think much, but I wonder if they are just unaware of their thoughts. That in itself would facinating (to any INFJ it would be, as almost all of us are heavy thinkers); to experience thinking, without even realizing it.

It would be like visiting an alien world on many different levels. Not only would you experience something new, but you would be actually experiencing something new in a way that you never have before. I think it would also give you a much deeper understanding and appreciation of the person who's mind you experienced.

The closest I have ever come to experiencing this is with my mom. Over the years, just through talking, and sharing our feelings (my mom an I are extremely close, and she is an INFJ), we have come to realise that we think about things nearly the exact same way. When we came to this conclusion, it was almost surreal, similar to a "coming home" feeling. To realise that someone thinks exactly like you do. If the fact that just realising that someone thinks the same as you, imagine what it would be like to actually experience it, and with someone who thinks completly differently.

From a scientific standpoint. Everything about us is set by genetic traits. This leads me to believe that there are genes that design how one thinks and processes information. It would be very cool to see what these traits are, and quantize the prevelence of these thinking traits. Maybe even see if there are thought disorders of some kind, something that wouldn't really be discovered unless we had a way to jump into someone elses mind, and experience it for ourselves.

What do you think about this? Would you want to experience this?

It would be good beccause I know how frustrating is when people talk same language, but with different meanings.
For example, my mother and me are also very close and in many problems we have similar attitude, but sometimes it's so obvious that we have different "schemes" in brain. For her my scheme is complicated because I rethink things over and over and explain too much, for me her scheme is complicated because I have feeling that she in her process leaves out something. Well, she didn't want to take the test, but I suspect she is ISFJ. I've read somwhere that ISFJ's and INFJ's come to identical coclusion by different ways. Maybe it is...
Knowing how others work would be so useful, it would be less misunderstandigs...

Btw, IndigoSensor, I see (because of your age) that you probably still go to universitiy or something like that. What you plan to do. You have interesting and sometimes really deep thinking, I think you would be good in education or psychology (with adults and children), archetypic INFJ, I would say:)

Last edited:
I used to drive myself crazy thinking of what others were thinking. I learned that you never know what another man is thinking. And this week in DC has proven to me again that you can't always trust your intuition. The people who looked the nicest were the first to refuse to help me. Peoples experiences cloud their judgement of humanity. And in the end they become unhuman. It is the very thing I try to avoid but modern day life seems to be going in this direction. So in the end does it really matter? As long as you as a person know what your thinking why does it even matter what the others are thinking? It seems that they don't really care what you are thinking anyways. I can remember the days of high school when my fellow students would call me fudge packer and faggot in the hallways. I always tried to figure out which ones hated me. In the end it was easy to see what some people thought. Although there was a whole bunch of others that hated me that I did not even know about until I got punched or kicked or shoved or spit on in the hallways. Since then I have learned to ignore them and react to them when needed.

The mind. It can trick you into a labryinth of confusion if you let. LOL. Know thyself! That is my mantra but you need to engage your Higher Mind/Soul and that will get you out of your personal labryinth, fellow INFJ's. Your intuition is the magic lamp that will guide you.

We all live in our own self created worlds and can never know what another is really thinking or experiencing. It's totally unique for each person. It would be amazing if we could, but that's why we read novels and get into a character. In this way we do experience what another is thinking, albeit a fictional entity, but that's all we have for now. The future will be a different story altogether.

In the meantime, communicating with others works best for me when I am using all of my senses, including the higher ones. In this way I gain a more accurate picture of their reality, and like a mirror it reflects my own reality back to me.

~Sorceress of White Fire

Last edited:
I have always wondered this ever since I was a child.

Have you ever wondered how others think, and what they actually do think? I find it interesting that we can try and explain how we think, but most details that can't be explained, or be understood unless they are actually experienced, and that is impossible. Someone could say they think fast, but you don't really know that. You wouldn't know unless you were able to jump into their mind, and experience what they were thinking to understand the speed at which thoughts are created. You could perceive it as snail paced and boring, or rapid and overwhelming, depending on your perspective.

I am constantly thinking about something, and I wonder if everyone does as well. There are some people who claim that they don't think much, but I wonder if they are just unaware of their thoughts. That in itself would facinating (to any INFJ it would be, as almost all of us are heavy thinkers); to experience thinking, without even realizing it.

It would be like visiting an alien world on many different levels. Not only would you experience something new, but you would be actually experiencing something new in a way that you never have before. I think it would also give you a much deeper understanding and appreciation of the person who's mind you experienced.

The closest I have ever come to experiencing this is with my mom. Over the years, just through talking, and sharing our feelings (my mom an I are extremely close, and she is an INFJ), we have come to realise that we think about things nearly the exact same way. When we came to this conclusion, it was almost surreal, similar to a "coming home" feeling. To realise that someone thinks exactly like you do. If the fact that just realising that someone thinks the same as you, imagine what it would be like to actually experience it, and with someone who thinks completly differently.

From a scientific standpoint. Everything about us is set by genetic traits. This leads me to believe that there are genes that design how one thinks and processes information. It would be very cool to see what these traits are, and quantize the prevelence of these thinking traits. Maybe even see if there are thought disorders of some kind, something that wouldn't really be discovered unless we had a way to jump into someone elses mind, and experience it for ourselves.

When I was little I use to wonder about things like this all the time but for me it was more visual. How do different individuals see the world? Are our colors the same? Is my red your green? If one actually saw from another's eye, would they see a completely alien world from what they are use to?

I find it humorous how accepting other INFJs are of this topic. I've tried expressing the same sentiments to others and all I get is odd looks and random critiquing.

Anywho, I've though about this quite a bit. I'm pretty certain it would be uncomfortable in most other people's minds. It's rare to find another person with a smiliar pace and even then it may feel a bit off in various ways. I think it is hugely influenced by environmental factors, as I've found myself changing at different points in my life. Overall though I think there are genetics that play a significant underlying role. I always seem to go back to my "normal" ways eventually.

I had a discussion about this with a cousin who is into neurology. He stated that it was funny that, a person could be communicating a message to someone else, and the other person would think that they understood the message and so they would never know that they had miscommunicated. It's hard to explain this in more depth, which is what I would want if someone else posted this. I'd ask for an example or something. But everyday life is the closest to an example that you can come by. If you really think about it communication is so limited that what you are expressing is only barely 'grasped'. Messages are lost in translation so often that we don't even notice it anymore. As long as the recipient gets the gist of it, we figure that it doesn't matter much.

Reactions: the
What the fuck does that mean? Explain yourself.

I don't get it.
D:

Btw, IndigoSensor, I see (because of your age) that you probably still go to universitiy or something like that. What you plan to do. You have interesting and sometimes really deep thinking, I think you would be good in education or psychology (with adults and children), archetypic INFJ, I would say:)

Funny you should say that. I am majoring in chemistry right now, and I really do love it. I know I am going in the right direction. However, I am learning over time that what I really want to do is teach. So my current goal is to eventually become a professer in organic chemistry. That way I can do research, and teach.

When I was little I use to wonder about things like this all the time but for me it was more visual. How do different individuals see the world? Are our colors the same? Is my red your green? If one actually saw from another's eye, would they see a completely alien world from what they are use to?

Oh yeah I have always thought that as well. That kind of ties in with this.

I find it humorous how accepting other INFJs are of this topic. I've tried expressing the same sentiments to others and all I get is odd looks and random critiquing.

Anywho, I've though about this quite a bit. I'm pretty certain it would be uncomfortable in most other people's minds. It's rare to find another person with a smiliar pace and even then it may feel a bit off in various ways. I think it is hugely influenced by environmental factors, as I've found myself changing at different points in my life. Overall though I think there are genetics that play a significant underlying role. I always seem to go back to my "normal" ways eventually.

I don't think I have ever tried to explain this to anyone before, but I can understand what you mean.

Environment is a huge bending factor. It's sort of like a muscle if you will; use it or loose it.

The mind. It can trick you into a labryinth of confusion if you let. LOL. Know thyself! That is my mantra but you need to engage your Higher Mind/Soul and that will get you out of your personal labryinth, fellow INFJ's. Your intuition is the magic lamp that will guide you.

We all live in our own self created worlds and can never know what another is really thinking or experiencing. It's totally unique for each person. It would be amazing if we could, but that's why we read novels and get into a character. In this way we do experience what another is thinking, albeit a fictional entity, but that's all we have for now. The future will be a different story altogether.

In the meantime, communicating with others works best for me when I am using all of my senses, including the higher ones. In this way I gain a more accurate picture of their reality, and like a mirror it reflects my own reality back to me.

~Sorceress of White Fire

Yes indeed :)

I wonder how people think a lot of the time -- sometimes, I spontaneously realize just what it means to be "me," what "I" am, why "I" am thinking like I am, and how everyone else must be doing something similar. I mean, it's kind of profound to realize that people think and feel and live and see and know like you do, but with completely different things and in completely different ways.

Kind of boggles the mind

I think about this all the time. When I was younger, I was always curious what other people thought about, and how different my own thoughts were in comparison. Now I wonder how they think about things and how they perceive the world in general; how they explain things to themselves, how their emotions affect their thought patterns, how their 'gut' feeling appears to them, and whether they ignore or accept it. How do people make decisions? Why some thoughts of theirs are so motivating/demotivating?

I think interviewing someone about this is a tricky process. Most people are very guarded about their own thoughts, and they get prickly when you ask too many questions. Others, on the other hand, love to brag about themselves, but they tend to only gab about the things that make them look better. It's rare to encounter anyone who is candid about sharing themselves honestly.

Mind you, I'm aware that even when it is explained, its not the same as experiencing it. I think it would be awesome for us to be able to align ourselves with the way other people think, just for the experience. Imagine how different the world might if you were to swap a thinking process with someone else.

I doubt there is anyway to truly quantify it, though.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I've wondered the same over the years myself.

Do we all think using "our" speaking voice?
We thought before we talked. I can't recall my mind's voice changing while going through puberty.

How do we visualize things in our minds eye differently?
When I picture a calendar year in my mind, the months are laid out in a particular pattern that makes sense to me, but would probably make no sense to someone else.

Etc.

When I picture a calendar year in my mind, the months are laid out in a particular pattern that makes sense to me, but would probably make no sense to someone else.

Etc.
I imagine days of the week and months as a rays of different type of grey coloure. I was confused as a child when I discovered that all people dont' do that.

So my current goal is to eventually become a professer in organic chemistry. That way I can do research, and teach.
Nice, your future students will probably like you and respect you (type of professer that somehow manage to incorporate story about his favourite songs when teaches about periodic table).
Although, good grades won't be easy to earn, you will ask for all details and much more :)
Yes, you are too much intersted in people to work something without them...

Do we all think using "our" speaking voice?

this is very interesting. i alternate between thinking in language and images and usually observe it as a combination of both. when i do consciously think in language though, i find that i often incompletely finish the thought in words due to intuitive mind leaps that finish it (almost likened to a gist).

How do we visualize things in our minds eye differently?
Etc.

i've pondered on this for as long as i remember. in childhood, i distinctly remember how i perceived numbers, for example, in colour codes and could not necessarily separate the colour from the number even if i tried. even now, i still associate the same colours with the same colours (e.g. 1 is white, 2 is yellow, 3 is blue, 4 and 6 are green, 5 is pink, 7 is greyish purple, 8 is red-orange, 9 is black, 10 is black and white). sometimes, even letters of the alphabet take on colours ('a' being yellow, 'b' being blue for example). i still find this strange.

i guess the way we visualize things depends on what/who we associate different objects, events, or situations with, as well as our preferred way of processing and interpreting information. for instance, in recalling a directions to a location, one person may readily conjure images of landmarks on the way while another prefers laying out verbal instuctions in a step-by-step manner.

woah....that sounds cool

yeah it would be awesome to know how others process information

how i remember things from my past is through 3rd person point of view...i actually remember by seeing myself in the actual situation...not in 1st person point of view
it's quite odd.
:m125:

Here... to help answer the OP...

How 'bout people just think through this and post what they were thinking as they went through it?

You see a man throw your child down a well. It was compleatly unprovoked and catches you off guard. The man stands there smiling at you and you can hear the child screaming and crying in the well. What do you do?

(sorry... only thing I could think of right now... maybe someone can come up with a better idea for my plan here.)

You see a man throw your child down a well. It was compleatly unprovoked and catches you off guard. The man stands there smiling at you and you can hear the child screaming and crying in the well. What do you do?

• I read this over twice in my head. Noted the spelling mistake.

• Then I tried to put myself in that situation, visualizing. I closed my eyes. I do not note any surroundings. I'm not interested in filling in background detail. I'm only reacting to what I've read; I've already determined that this would be a high adrenaline situation, and that would keep me focused on what is necessary. No frills needed.
  • I'd be over next to that man in two strides; his smile would make knocking him out easier so I could deal with him later.
  • I would quickly look over the well and ask my child if they were okay. I assume they are, only a little bruised. I look around for something to use as a make-shift rope.
  • As I do so, I pull out my cellphone and make a 9-1-1 call.
  • I kick the man in the head again for good measure as I'm talking to the operator.
  • I go back to my child and talk him through it. I'm afraid that they have a concussion from the fall and I want to keep them sufficiently distracted
  • The authorities arrive.... and I've lost interest in this game.
  • I decide I want a glass of water.
  • I am about to hit post after I write this sentence.

Reactions: bamf