How does it feel to stand out? | INFJ Forum

How does it feel to stand out?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Seems that many here stand out for one reason or another. We stand out because we think differently or behave differently, than many of the people we live or interact with in our everyday lives.

In many cases, standing out is not deliberate or intentional, and is just a product or reflection of who we are; our personalities or unique traits.

E.g. I'm aware that I stand out (which is sometimes good, and at dother times not so good), and i've thought about these reasons over the years, because even if I attempt to normalize myself and blend in, I still stick out unintentionally like a sore thumb probably because of my personality or spirit. I don't like it, and wish I was more blended with everyone, but it's all good.

So, how does it feel to stand out?

I don't like standing out because it draws unnecessary attention.

It makes me feel uncomfortable, like my skins crawling, like I'm being
eyed and marked and dissected. I don't like it.

Last edited:

It makes me feel uncomfortable, like my skins crawling, like I'm being
eyed and marked and dissected
. I don't like it.

lol, ironically you're likely to bring more attention upon yourself by describing it in this way (or is that a different kind of attention?)

anyway i don't particularly like standing out either, places undue expectations on me. i'd rather just mesh with the crowd and in the process be liberated to do my own thing

You could say i stand out in my town. I am a semi-public figure. Everyone knows who i am and what i do (in certain areas)

I'm very aware of this and it effects my behaviour. For example i love rap music but never play it loudly in my car when in certain areas as i have to maintain a professional persona.

When i go to certain places i feel peoples awareness of my presence and it makes me smile when i get the impression that they feel like they have to be on best behaviour around me too.

This can be hard for me as i hate pretentiousness and people who think certain people are more deserving of respect than others. I'll introduce myself to someone and sometimes their eyes will widen slightly, they will visibly stiffen and all of a sudden it's roll out the red carpet time. This annoys me

It makes me feel uncomfortable, like my skins crawling, like I'm being eyed and marked and dissected. I don't like it.

Yep. It just feels weird.

When i go to certain places i feel peoples awareness of my presence and it makes me smile when i get the impression that they feel like they have to be on best behaviour around me too.

Explains the halo. :D j/k

I have a similar effect on people. They're always worried that they can't be themselves around me, that they have to be very "proper." I can sometimes be a bit uptight and tense, so I understand why. :D

Last edited:
I did theatre for many years and honestly didn't mind being on stage. I think a "what are they going to do, take away your birthday" mentality helps. I tend not to get too worked up if you don't like me, if you disagree with me and that kind of stuff. I don't do normal and quiet very well. I can be discreet and somewhat invisible when I need to be and don't mind being in the background. However, I have found time and time again that I will eventually stand out. I have a strong personality, opinions, and am a good problem solver which all tend to make people pay attention whether I want it or not.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Sometimes I like it, other times I don't.
I don't mind standing out when I am singing a solo for church or doing a Scripture reading, because I am proud to serve.

I DO mind standing out, when a teacher remarks on the "unique" way I wrote a paper, how I am the only one who did well on a test, how everyone else in the class should be more like me. I can't stand it when teachers say things like that! Usually, I'll smile and take it good-naturedly, but on the inside, I'm cringing

Actually, I quite like it. I don't like drawing attention to myself, and I'm (to my chagrin) quite concerned with what other people think of me, but because I'm wanting them to have a specific view of me regardless of whether they like me or not, I don't feel I have to meet others' expectations.

It amuses me when people realize how different I am. Conversely, it irritates me when I'm stereotyped.

I think a "what are they going to do, take away your birthday" mentality helps.

lol this is great.

I did theatre for many years and honestly didn't mind being on stage.

yeah maybe its an entertainer thing than, i've always enjoyed being center of attention in terms of music. though if i was fighting for the spotlight all the time my fills would lose their meaning, so for me its really a timing and frequency thing. 3 or 4 times a gig i want people to be like: whoa where'd that come from? i work hard at what i do, so naturally i want people to know this.

socially speaking depends on the dynamic, with my family i try to just help out and let them speak their mind for the most part, friends are another story but competition is just a form of communication for us, its just the way we talk to eachother the majority of the time.

I always stand out whether I like it or not. I have a mixed heritage, and I am one of those who call themselves "citizens of the world" because I lived in different places and traveled a lot.

I am used to standing out and have learnt to deal with the attention when I get it, good or bad.

I hate it, since I only seem to stand out when I did something embarrassing... I try to stand out in a good light, but I can't seem to manage that yet...

I personally find it empowering. I love preforming, and my ideas often make me stand out or get marked. If people are paying attention to you, be it good or bad, you are holding a small amount of "power" over them. You can influence them with your ideas because you are in the lime-light.