How does it feel to stand out? | INFJ Forum

How does it feel to stand out?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Gaze, Sep 13, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Seems that many here stand out for one reason or another. We stand out because we think differently or behave differently, than many of the people we live or interact with in our everyday lives.

In many cases, standing out is not deliberate or intentional, and is just a product or reflection of who we are; our personalities or unique traits.

E.g. I'm aware that I stand out (which is sometimes good, and at dother times not so good), and i've thought about these reasons over the years, because even if I attempt to normalize myself and blend in, I still stick out unintentionally like a sore thumb probably because of my personality or spirit. I don't like it, and wish I was more blended with everyone, but it's all good.

So, how does it feel to stand out?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bird

Bird Happy Go Lucky

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    I don't like standing out because it draws unnecessary attention.

It makes me feel uncomfortable, like my skins crawling, like I'm being
    eyed and marked and dissected. I don't like it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Bird, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    lol, ironically you're likely to bring more attention upon yourself by describing it in this way (or is that a different kind of attention?)

anyway i don't particularly like standing out either, places undue expectations on me. i'd rather just mesh with the crowd and in the process be liberated to do my own thing

4. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    You could say i stand out in my town. I am a semi-public figure. Everyone knows who i am and what i do (in certain areas)

I'm very aware of this and it effects my behaviour. For example i love rap music but never play it loudly in my car when in certain areas as i have to maintain a professional persona.

When i go to certain places i feel peoples awareness of my presence and it makes me smile when i get the impression that they feel like they have to be on best behaviour around me too.

This can be hard for me as i hate pretentiousness and people who think certain people are more deserving of respect than others. I'll introduce myself to someone and sometimes their eyes will widen slightly, they will visibly stiffen and all of a sudden it's roll out the red carpet time. This annoys me

5. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Yep. It just feels weird.

6. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Explains the halo. :D j/k

I have a similar effect on people. They're always worried that they can't be themselves around me, that they have to be very "proper." I can sometimes be a bit uptight and tense, so I understand why. :D

#6 Gaze, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Nixie

Nixie Resurrected

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I did theatre for many years and honestly didn't mind being on stage. I think a "what are they going to do, take away your birthday" mentality helps. I tend not to get too worked up if you don't like me, if you disagree with me and that kind of stuff. I don't do normal and quiet very well. I can be discreet and somewhat invisible when I need to be and don't mind being in the background. However, I have found time and time again that I will eventually stand out. I have a strong personality, opinions, and am a good problem solver which all tend to make people pay attention whether I want it or not.

jyrffw54 likes this.
  8. jyrffw54

jyrffw54 שכינה עוֹלֶה

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Sometimes I like it, other times I don't.
    I don't mind standing out when I am singing a solo for church or doing a Scripture reading, because I am proud to serve.

I DO mind standing out, when a teacher remarks on the "unique" way I wrote a paper, how I am the only one who did well on a test, how everyone else in the class should be more like me. I can't stand it when teachers say things like that! Usually, I'll smile and take it good-naturedly, but on the inside, I'm cringing

9. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Actually, I quite like it. I don't like drawing attention to myself, and I'm (to my chagrin) quite concerned with what other people think of me, but because I'm wanting them to have a specific view of me regardless of whether they like me or not, I don't feel I have to meet others' expectations.

It amuses me when people realize how different I am. Conversely, it irritates me when I'm stereotyped.

10. bagelriffic

bagelriffic Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    5 sx
    lol this is great.

yeah maybe its an entertainer thing than, i've always enjoyed being center of attention in terms of music. though if i was fighting for the spotlight all the time my fills would lose their meaning, so for me its really a timing and frequency thing. 3 or 4 times a gig i want people to be like: whoa where'd that come from? i work hard at what i do, so naturally i want people to know this.

socially speaking depends on the dynamic, with my family i try to just help out and let them speak their mind for the most part, friends are another story but competition is just a form of communication for us, its just the way we talk to eachother the majority of the time.

11. Odyne

Odyne ===========
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    I always stand out whether I like it or not. I have a mixed heritage, and I am one of those who call themselves "citizens of the world" because I lived in different places and traveled a lot.

I am used to standing out and have learnt to deal with the attention when I get it, good or bad.

12. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    I hate it, since I only seem to stand out when I did something embarrassing... I try to stand out in a good light, but I can't seem to manage that yet...

13. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    I personally find it empowering. I love preforming, and my ideas often make me stand out or get marked. If people are paying attention to you, be it good or bad, you are holding a small amount of "power" over them. You can influence them with your ideas because you are in the lime-light.