How does each MBTI type show affection? | INFJ Forum

How does each MBTI type show affection?

rainrise

Community Member
Mar 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
there's probably a lot of grey area here and overlap, but do you see any trends generally?

I can't speak for people in general, but I'm an INFJ and I generally communicate affection through actions. When I care about someone, I like to do little things for that person. For instance, my good friend and roommate loves tea in the morning. Usually I wake up before her, so I try to have tea waiting for her when she wakes. It's something small, but it makes her happy.

I'm also very comfortable telling people verbally how I feel about them. However, I find this makes some people uncomfortable, so I try to temper my words a bit depending on the person I'm addressing.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
entj- tell you what you should do, how you're not making the best of your skills

infp - tell you how you're special and unique and valuable

isfp - play a song for you or draw a picture for you

esfp - take you to a party

intj - talk to you, period. they're stringent with their time.

infj - give a meaningful gift, like a poem or a favorite flower

esfj - invite you to their social circle, or cook you dinner

entp - tease you or tell you a sarcastic and improper joke

:p

I show affection based on the person ... whatever I think would communicate that best to them. I figure this out through trial and error. So I can and have done everything on May's list.

Apart from that, by doing stuff for them ... going out of my way somehow ... devoting time ... etc.

But if I'm teasing someone, it means I feel comfortable. That one's actually more about me than them.

Well, I don't know if there's a correlation to type, but according to Love Languages, I tend to prefer most to give and receive affection through words of affirmation. Second for me is physical touch. Third, quality time. I have the lowest resonance with acts of service or gifts.

My ex-husband typed as an INTP and I think he most comfortably gave and received affection through acts of service and quality time.

A quick review of the results of the love languages test here seems to indicate there is some consistency in my results with many other infj's who posted. Also, I noted various NT's who responded seemed to have higher acts of service scores than the infj's typically did.

I show love by being around those who I care for, usually by doing something like fishing or taking long walks.

Sometimes I do chores.

I tease people when I feel relaxed around them, otherwise besides that I would say May was pretty much on the money.

Last edited:
ENTP = beating you over the head and draging you back to the "cave."

Haha, just kidding, I have no idea!

ISTJ - banging

Reactions: bamf
I like to do little things and be suportive. But, if I really care, I do that too much and that is not good:) All that clinginess thing...

enfj-....duh

ESTJ - says "I can help you with your career", and does it.
ESTP - says "I can help you get laid", and forgets about it. (Alt. just gets it over with.)

:)

Last edited:
My ISFP friend gets very focused on the one person they like most and talks to them most, hugs them and is generally affectionate.
My ESFP friend gives hugs or compliments.
My INFP friend asks questions about you and then really listens.
My INTP sister (yes, her types changed) tries to give you advice or talks to you seriously and gives very occasional hugs XD
My ESTJ mum shows her worry in funny ways, like acting really annoyed at you for doing something. Usually, she's very affectionate though.

ENTP = beating you over the head and draging you back to the "cave."

Haha, just kidding, I have no idea!

ENTP = by letting you play with his cool toys or tinker in his lab

One ENTP asked me if I wanted to play with his welder (literally, not figuratively, although, it certainly had some shade of mischief to it).

:md:

I also noticed that ENTPs like to show off their cooking skills. So naturally, they'd invite you to dine with them.

infp - tell you how you're special and unique and valuable
Yes, this absolutely.
Also, joking and being playful. That usually only happens with people we trust and feel connected to.

My INFP friend asks questions about you and then really listens.

this is exactly how i do it! And I try to help too but I'm better at just listening :D
When I realy realy like you then I give you special gifts or make you something (not food!)

Last edited:
I think the best answer is provided by www.personalitypage.com; you'll find a love and compatibility section there for each type. I don't know if they are true or not, but the one for INFJ seems fairly accurate and many of them makes kind of sense.

I also noticed that ENTPs like to show off their cooking skills. So naturally, they'd invite you to dine with them.

I sometimes wonder if Gordon Ramsay is a ENTP.

Gordon-Ramsay15.jpg

Well, hes got something going on with his hair at least.

Last edited: