How Do You Know You're an INFJ? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How Do You Know You're an INFJ?

I've taken the test over 50 times,always come up INFJ.But,to me,forget the test,if you are,you Know IT!!!! The first time i took the test,i really knew nothing about it.But once i read the charicteristics and traits,i remember going down the list and actually crying.It felt like pretty much every question i've ever had about why i am the way i am,do certain things i do,feel the way i feel had been explained.I couldn't believe it.I always knew i was "different".I thought much more than most people,felt much more than most people and so many other things that just let me know i was "different".I knew i had found myself.If you feel you resonate more with the INFJ type,then you probobly are.As far as the "everyone thinks we're special,gifted whatever...there are good points about being this way,but believe me,just as many bad ones.I sometimes wish i could just "turn off" the strong intuition,empathy,and moodiness.Just be like everyone else who just seem to float through life not really being concerned,or caring about anything or anybody,but thats not me.For better or worse,I truly "know' i'm an INFJ...

i took the test to find out my type, and the description of infj is exactly how i am.
it does not feel special. it feels isolating and frustrating. i'm curious as to why you would feel that having this personality type would be too good to be true?
edit to say that this is in reference to the original post. sorry

Who said it was "too good to be true?" Such a phrase would not be uttered by an INFJ. Those who are privy know the feelings of which you speak. The ever-present sense of loneliness and of alienation make it, potentially, very unpleasant to be INFJ. I am by no means happy.
We have the "supernatural" gifts, sure, but life as one of the more "common" types would be easier, in many ways.

Who said it was "too good to be true?" Such a phrase would not be uttered by an INFJ. Those who are privy know the feelings of which you speak. The ever-present sense of loneliness and of alienation make it, potentially, very unpleasant to be INFJ. I am by no means happy.
We have the "supernatural" gifts, sure, but life as one of the more "common" types would be easier, in many ways.
the person who started this topic said it.
(quote from the original post)
"I actually think that a lot of people, myself included,avoid saying for sure that they are INFJ because it almost doesn't seem possible. Or like in some way you are saying "I'm so incredibly special." When maybe you actually are, but it just seems weird saying, or maybe too good to be true."

Last edited:
the person who started this topic said it.
(quote from the original post)
"I actually think that a lot of people, myself included,avoid saying for sure that they are INFJ because it almost doesn't seem possible. Or like in some way you are saying "I'm so incredibly special." When maybe you actually are, but it just seems weird saying, or maybe too good to be true."

OK. I can see where he's coming from, statistically speaking. INFJs only make up 1% of the population, supposedly.

OK. I can see where he's coming from, statistically speaking. INFJs only make up 1% of the population, supposedly.

Emphasis on the -supposedly-.

The only valid and reliable data I know of does not provide any evidence that INFJs are any rarer than any other type in the population - MBTI is just overly narrow in how it defines Intuition (as well as not getting anything else down very accurately).

[MENTION=4717]subwayrider[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION] First of all, i'm a "She" just fyi. But no worries.lol I didn't mean "too good to be true" like I think the INFJ personality type would mean I was some how the ultimate human being or anything. The INFJ's I know aren't the kind of people I would say "They have a great personality" about. But that's just my personal preference. I just meant that I feel like, and even when other people tell me that they scored INFJ, like you shouldn't be so quick to say that's really what you are. Because it is (allegedly) the most mistyped personality type and the percentage of the actual population that are INFJ's is (allegedly) really small. So perhaps "too good to be true" was not the correct phrase to use. I just meant that I wouldn't want to jump to that conclusion because it is so rare for even someone who consistently tests as INFJ to actually be that type because they are so few in actuality. I wouldn't want to rashly jump to that conclusion, because the odds are against it. I don't want to flatter myself into thinking that I am truly that rare and special. Having said that, it could explain why I never understand people. :/

[MENTION=4717]subwayrider[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION] First of all, i'm a "She" just fyi. But no worries.lol I didn't mean "too good to be true" like I think the INFJ personality type would mean I was some how the ultimate human being or anything. The INFJ's I know aren't the kind of people I would say "They have a great personality" about. But that's just my personal preference. I just meant that I feel like, and even when other people tell me that they scored INFJ, like you shouldn't be so quick to say that's really what you are. Because it is (allegedly) the most mistyped personality type and the percentage of the actual population that are INFJ's is (allegedly) really small. So perhaps "too good to be true" was not the correct phrase to use. I just meant that I wouldn't want to jump to that conclusion because it is so rare for even someone who consistently tests as INFJ to actually be that type because they are so few in actuality. I wouldn't want to rashly jump to that conclusion, because the odds are against it. I don't want to flatter myself into thinking that I am truly that rare and special. Having said that, it could explain why I never understand people. :/

as to your gender, duly noted, although i never referred to your gender in my comments. unless i'm sure of someone's gender i try to not assume.
i see what you mean now, after reading your post.
being infj, or rather falling into that personality category, has nothing to do with anything really, other than an identifying name to something i've always known about myself.
mind you, i take great comfort in knowing that i am not a freak afterall lol.
i am an HSP (highly sensitive person) and that has been my struggle throughout my life. Being highly sensitive is not psychological but neurological,and because it affects a significant percentage of the population it is considered a trait not a disorder.
HSPs make up about 20 % of the population. This hyper sensitivity is found to exist in all species, including fruit flies
because so many of the characteristics are similar, i wondered if all infj's are also HSPs.

Last edited:
@JGirl Well, the clarification of my gender was more for @subwayrider than you. In one of his replies to you he said he can "understand where 'he's' coming from" referring to me. I am, in fact, a "she." But, ehem, anyway, I realize that while MBTI can give us some uncanny information about ourselves, it is still a generalized system. Every human being is unique in their own way. I try not to obsess about the fact that I feel like I no longer fit into a "type" perfectly. But, I can tend to obsess over things like this. (Is this an INTJ or INFJ thing...probably both with my luck, or neither) As for HSP, I don't know much about it aside from taking a fleeting online test I found on a forum (perhaps this one, i can't remember), and I can't even recall the results.

I remember when I originally scored as INTJ, for that point in my life it fit perfectly, but as I grow and mature as a human being, I feel like maybe I was really more INFJ all along, just in denial of how much the "F" was really there and/or too afraid to admit it. The more articles I read, I realize how hard it is to really differentiate between INTJ and INFJ. I read one article that said that INFJ's are the most "NT" of all the "NF's." Which I think is true. INTJ's are supposedly (one of) the most logical and methodical of all the types, not open with their emotion but guard it at all cost. But, I kind of feel like the same can be said for INFJ's as well.

It depends on the article, and it depends on the day. Sometimes I think "Yep, i'm just an INTJ, don't know why I questioned it." Then I will read another article and be like "Yes! This! Exactly! I KNEW I was INFJ all along and just ashamed of my emotions." So who knows. I am just a conundrum.

Last edited:
Because I am definitely Ni dominant and I relater more to Fe + Ti than I do to Te + Fi.

When I learned MBTI theory, and have typed people to compare to myself.
I recognized patterns in each personality type. The closest to me is INFJ, although I have doubts sometimes.