How Do You Know You're an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

How Do You Know You're an INFJ?

vulcanhuman

May 6, 2011
MBTI
INxJ
Enneagram
5w6
I apologize if this thread is already somewhere and I just didn't see it. I'm sure there are similar threads on here but I wanted to speak more specifically on what exactly helped you to realize that you are in fact an INFJ. I assume, especially when referring to this personality type, that it took some amount of time and deliberation to know assuredly that this is in fact the personality type that you fit within, because it is infamously the rarest of all of the 16 types, I don't think anyone would make a rash decision in saying that they are that type.

I actually think that a lot of people, myself included, avoid saying for sure that they are INFJ because it almost doesn't seem possible. Or like in some way you are saying "I'm so incredibly special." When maybe you actually are, but it just seems weird saying, or maybe too good to be true.

Anyway, I digress, my interest in this subject is due to the fact that I have been trying to figure out for myself if I am actually an INFJ. I originally tested, like a year ago, as INTJ and for that time in my life the description definitely resonated with me. And while certain things I do agree with still, it's maybe only like half of what the descriptions say. With INFJ I feel that more and more things in the description of INFJ resonate with me. But I don't want to hastily say that I am INFJ because, I don't know why, I guess because...I could be wrong. But I know for sure i'm not INTJ anymore, at the very least not all of the time.

Also I should mention, that I have been testing recently online as INFJ, but I know online tests are 100% full proof. Occasionally I will get INTJ still too though.

So my question is: What was it that made you realize with absolute certainty that you are an INFJ? Or if you are in a similar position to me, I would like to hear your thoughts too. Also if you have any advice for me to help me to get to know for sure that'd be great. Thanks!

I originally took the test at age 20 resulting in INFJ. I took the test several months ago, and it still resulted in INFJ. I don't get the whole "I'm special" thing???? I didn't choose this. Perhaps other types hate being cast as common??

My S and T scores vs. N and F scores are basically 40% to 60%. I think what you need to ask is what you are "naturally inclined" to do or feel. Your T/F may be 50% and 50%. Don't seal yourself into the MBTI box. :D

I don't space out, so I'm not INFP, and I don't cause hell to freeze over whenever I walk in, so I'm not INTJ.

I also use Fe like nobody's business.

EDIT: I also took a bunch of tests. One time I did get INFP.

Because being described as unique, mystical and sensitive psychic individual boost my self-esteem.

in true INFJ style : my never ending quest for the perfect love. .
ability to slam the door on people. .. at the same time need to fix everything that is wrong in their lives. .

in true INFJ style : my never ending quest for the perfect love. .
ability to slam the door on people. .. at the same time need to fix everything that is wrong in their lives. .

Let also emphasize that slamming the door aspect! I think this may apply more for the tried and tested INFJ's out there... you know what they say, "once bitten, twice shy".

I took the test years ago in high school and came out as an INFJ - it was the same test that said I would be a loner, drug addict as well (despite not so much as touching a cigarette), so I didn't pay much attention to it. Took it again when I was under a lot of stress and came out IN/STJ. Took it two more times later in life and came out INFJ. Looking at myself and how I react to things, I can safely say, INFJ is the only one that really fits.

Can you expand upon this? Because I kind of think I know what you are saying but not 100% and I kind of think I feel the same. lol

My S and T scores vs. N and F scores are basically 40% to 60%. I think what you need to ask is what you are "naturally inclined" to do or feel. Your T/F may be 50% and 50%. Don't seal yourself into the MBTI box. :D

I think my scores are pretty similar to yours in those aspects. Yeah, that's definitely good advice. I can tend to get kind of obsessive over things, especially when that thing has to do with "figuring myself out." I always say I like being a square, and I do, but part of me wants to fit in. Now I don't even fit into an MBTI category either. I mean it's not that big of a deal or anything, being unique is cool. Think I'm just in the middle...for now anyway.

I had a hard time at first knowing whether I was INFJ or INTJ, and ultimately I was able to tell once I learned the system well enough to know the difference. To really understand the system, you need to understand the 8 functions: Fe, Fi, Te, Ti, Se, Si, Ne, Ni. The first four are the judging functions, and the latter four are the perceiving functions. Each type corresponds to a specific function order.

So INFJ is Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
and INTJ is Ni, Te, Fi, Se

Very similar, but there are big differences between the Fe, Ti and Te, Fi.

I had a big imagination as a kid. ENxPs have big imaginations as well. As a kid I was always trying to invent things (a roller coaster, a tree house, a snow fort, board games, a secret medicinal potion).

I also loved to read fiction books: Oliver Twist, Clue, Goose Bumps, Indiana Jones, Charile and the Chocolate, The Lion, witch and wardrobe. Anything that would feed my imagination.

Reactions: invisible
8 months ago I took a test to determine what field of work I should explore, as I hated my current job. I came up INFJ, and had no idea what that meant nor did I care, but it classifed me as a counselor, and I ran with it. For the last 8 months I have been taking psychology classes and finally came to trait classifications. I was instructed to take the test agian, and agian INFJ poped up, but this time I read the discription. My mouth hit the floor when I read it, so I took the test agian, and agian, and agian, each time INFJ. The only time it did not come back as an INFJ was when I lied. I found an overwhelming sense peace in seeing a visable deffinition for what I was feeling and thinking. I spent weeks reading anything and everything I could to learn about this type, my type, and the more I read the more justification i found. It was like my life was laid out in a book before my eyes, what I felt , when I felt it, and most importantly why I felt it. Today is the first day I have used a forum out side of school, and I am happy to have this avenue to express my self. I dont have any freinds, not because people don't like me, they talk to me all the time, tell me things I do't really want to know, but I listen anyways. There are three people in my life who I would share anything with, my twin sons, and the woman I consider my soulmate. It feels good to open up like this.

well, first you require the unanimous approval of this forum. and then, know thyself. i wanna tell you a little secret, being the one is just like being in love. no one needs to tell you you are in love, you just know it, through and through.

You have a bunch of feelings.
You give a damn about the way that people treat each other.
You might not care for certain social customs and traditions, but you can see the value in them for other people and stay respectful.
You pick up on patterns and archetypes on instinct; it's not in the forefront of your conscious mind, but you can usually 'see' how a situation might turn before it happens.
You usually know how something works, but it's always on the tip of your tongue when you're asked to explain.
You need your alone time more than most, but you fundamentally need to feel like you're connected to something or someone.
You get depressed if you're isolated for too long (and don't realize it)
People gravitate toward you and feel like they 'know you' or 'trust you' more than most. You've been told you have a serene, comforting presence.
You pay attention to the relationships of people around you; how they interact, what you can anticipate. However, you pay attention more to relation patterns rather than facial expressions and body language.

I watched videos of myself interacting with other people. It was just so obvious. There's no other type I could possibly be. I'm a strong INFJ.

Because Albus Dumbledore is an INFJ.

I'm still in the process of discovery, really, but, one might be an INFJ if:

- you've always been very aware of your feelings, very in touch with them
- you have sort of a "sixth sense," and find yourself judging people from the get-go-- oftentimes, pretty accurately.
- you need a lot of alone time
- Always, always, always feel, and have felt, that most people don't understand you, that you were different somehow.
- Maybe you were cast aside a lot, as a kid, and didn't really fit in with any particular group.
- You don't like hurting others, and avoid direct conflict whenever possible.
- You have a (possibly vague) desire to improve life for sentient beings somehow. Maybe even to improve this world.
- People might generally think of you as someone who is trustworthy or nice.
- You might find great pleasure in things like: music, art, books, films.
- You feel bad when you hurt others.
- Despite your need for alone time, one of your other strong needs is to be around other people, and you know it.
- You have at some point wanted to, or tried to, live a proverbial ESTP lifestyle, even though you've never been anything remotely like an ESTP
- You sometimes find it easier to communicate in metaphors or images
- You like Radiohead a lot-- like A LOT
- Lastly: you already feel like this place (INFJf) is a second home to you.

the more of those you tally up, the more likely you're INFJ ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
You have a bunch of feelings.
You give a damn about the way that people treat each other.
You might not care for certain social customs and traditions, but you can see the value in them for other people and stay respectful.
You pick up on patterns and archetypes on instinct; it's not in the forefront of your conscious mind, but you can usually 'see' how a situation might turn before it happens.
You usually know how something works, but it's always on the tip of your tongue when you're asked to explain.
You need your alone time more than most, but you fundamentally need to feel like you're connected to something or someone.
You get depressed if you're isolated for too long (and don't realize it)
People gravitate toward you and feel like they 'know you' or 'trust you' more than most. You've been told you have a serene, comforting presence.
You pay attention to the relationships of people around you; how they interact, what you can anticipate. However, you pay attention more to relation patterns rather than facial expressions and body language.

This sums it up to a T for me.

A company I worked for back in the early 90's had the MBTI test professionally administered to all it's sales reps during a course we were taking in learning how to identify the personality types of customers, and how to adjust your approach to them.
After scoring, it turned out I was the only one in the room out of about 25 people that scored as INFJ.
The administrator of the test was very intrigued by my score. It made me feel a little uncomfortable since the spotlight was on me for being different.
Over the years that experience stuck in the back of my head , but for the most part I moved on and didn't give it a whole lot of thought.
A few years ago, the MBTI test came up in conversation, and I remembered that I had scored as an INFJ.
So, out of curiosity did some research on the intertnet, and took numerous online tests, and 9 out 10 times I scored as INFJ. Otherwise as an INTJ.
After doing a lot of reading and thinking about how I have related to the world and other people my whole life, I came to the conclusion that the INFJ designation fit me best.
After joining this board and delving deeper I feel I have really come to know myself and understand why I am who I am more than I ever have before.
I yam what I yam.

I'm still in the process of discovery, really, but, one might be an INFJ if:

- you've always been very aware of your feelings, very in touch with them
- you have sort of a "sixth sense," and find yourself judging people from the get-go-- oftentimes, pretty accurately.
- you need a lot of alone time
- Always, always, always feel, and have felt, that most people don't understand you, that you were different somehow.
- Maybe you were cast aside a lot, as a kid, and didn't really fit in with any particular group.
- You don't like hurting others, and avoid direct conflict whenever possible.
- You have a (possibly vague) desire to improve life for sentient beings somehow. Maybe even to improve this world.
- People might generally think of you as someone who is trustworthy or nice.
- You might find great pleasure in things like: music, art, books, films.
- You feel bad when you hurt others.
- Despite your need for alone time, one of your other strong needs is to be around other people, and you know it.
- You have at some point wanted to, or tried to, live a proverbial ESTP lifestyle, even though you've never been anything remotely like an ESTP
- You sometimes find it easier to communicate in metaphors or images
- You like Radiohead a lot-- like A LOT
- Lastly: you already feel like this place (INFJf) is a second home to you.

the more of those you tally up, the more likely you're INFJ ;)

The bold are the things that I agree with. I could go on a long description as to why I feel each of them resonate with me, but I won't do that to you. Just suffice it to say I agree with those. Also thanks for your succinct explanation...It was really helpful.

[MENTION=834]Dragon[/MENTION] Others have also suggested to me before that I look more into the cognitive functions but...it hasn't really helped. When I read the descriptions of Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe I always feel like I agree with parts of all of them and don't agree with any of them in their entirety. :/

[MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION] I relate to everything you said. hm.

The bold are the things that I agree with. I could go on a long description as to why I feel each of them resonate with me, but I won't do that to you. Just suffice it to say I agree with those. Also thanks for your succinct explanation...It was really helpful.

@Dragon Others have also suggested to me before that I look more into the cognitive functions but...it hasn't really helped. When I read the descriptions of Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe I always feel like I agree with parts of all of them and don't agree with any of them in their entirety. :/

@TheDaringHatTrick I relate to everything you said. hm.

Well I guess you need to try more things then. You need to be more engaged with the world, and then later revisit this and see which functions you have ended up using to solve problems in the course of your engagement.

If we think about MBTI too much without being able to relate it to our experience, then it becomes meaningless to us. So push the limits, I guess.

As a word of caution, I wouldn't use my quick little run-down as a confirmation of type. In my experience, most feeling types can relate to this list one way or another. Fundamentally, though, INFJs and ENFJs are primarily concerned with their relations with others. INFPs and ENFPs are more concerned with others relations to themselves.

No problem. Just make sure you're perpetually on the path to self-discovery, and that you stay open to new findings. This should come easily, if you are INFJ.

Last edited: